NATION

PASSWORD

Christian disscussion thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

You are a?

Catholic
29%
Mormon
2%
Orthodox
7%
Baptist
11%
Evangelical
5%
Presbyterian
3%
Lutheran
7%
Episcopal
3%
Society Of Friends (Quaker)
3%
Other(Other denomination, not other religion, only other Christian denominations)
30%

Total votes : 732

Arkhanta
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkhanta » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:18 pm

practicing reformed baptist for 2 years now.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:22 pm

Arkhanta wrote:practicing reformed baptist for 2 years now.

And how are things among the Reformed Baptists these days? I'm glad you guys reformed, you were getting kind of rowdy there. ;)
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:28 pm

The Realm of God wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:
Discuss? It freaks me out.

Calvinism really doesnt make all that sense. If some people are elected and others not. Why do the Calvinist churches still preach. Unless the election is your reaction too the preaching?

Worth thinking about.

My church is split between Calvinism and Arminianism.

It's very interesting, since one Pastor will get up and say something to the order of "We were all chosen by God" and then the next will get up and say "We all made the choice to be with God."

I'm Arminianist, by the way. Calvinism seems too fatalistic for a God that typically lets people act of their own free will.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

New Acardia
Minister

Founded: Aug 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Acardia » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:26 pm

The Merchant Republics wrote:
The Realm of God wrote:
Calvinism really doesnt make all that sense. If some people are elected and others not. Why do the Calvinist churches still preach. Unless the election is your reaction too the preaching?

Worth thinking about.

It's very interesting, since one Pastor will get up and say something to the order of "We were all chosen by God" and then the next will get up and say "We all made the choice to be with God."

I'm Arminianist, by the way. Calvinism seems too fatalistic for a God that typically lets people act of their own free will.

May ask what church you go to?
Quotes
Those who stand for nothing fall for everything.
Faith with out works is a dead faith
Evil wins when Good does nothing
My Factbook
I am an Eastern Orthodox Christian
I am a Tea Party Conservative
I am a American National Unionist
I am a Liberal Conservative

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:36 pm

New acardia wrote:

It's an Evangelical Baptist Church, of an admittedly overtly conservative rural variety.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

New Acardia
Minister

Founded: Aug 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby New Acardia » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:45 pm

New acardia wrote:

It's an Evangelical Baptist Church, of an admittedly overtly conservative rural variety.

Most Baptist are both Evangelical and conservitive but good people.
I am Eastern Orthodox
Last edited by New Acardia on Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quotes
Those who stand for nothing fall for everything.
Faith with out works is a dead faith
Evil wins when Good does nothing
My Factbook
I am an Eastern Orthodox Christian
I am a Tea Party Conservative
I am a American National Unionist
I am a Liberal Conservative

Nansurium
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nansurium » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:56 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Nansurium wrote:Of course I believe that Jesus is God, part of the trinity.

Good. Do you believe that Christ ascended into heaven body, mind and spirit? Also, do you believe that He is the head of the Church?

You never provided specific verses from the Bible that authorize the activities of your church, no.

How about the entire book of acts?

I assume you are referring to First Timothy 3:15, yes? This verse states that the Church is the pillar and foundation of our faith. Its ashame he never used the word Catholic or Orthodox isn't it? If we view that verse in context, we find that Timothy goes into great detail about the nature and structure of God's church.

My questions above relating to your beliefs about Jesus will bring us to this particular verse in due time. When you answer next, all will be clear.

So a few things to note from this passage: First of all, we see the explicit use of the term "deacon" in this text. Yet I am not aware of the use of deacons within the Orthodox or Catholic churches.

Then you do not know much of anything about the Church from which the Bible sprang. The Deacon is the third and lowest degree of the major orders of clergy in the Orthodox Church, following the bishop and the presbyter.

Furthermore, this text clearly permits marriage and children for deacons. Yet in the catholic and orthodox church, members of the ecclesiastical hierarchy are not permitted to take wives (the Bible also explicitly permits this for Elders as well) or have children.

Once more, you are absolutely incorrect. Members of the ecclesiastical hierarchy are, indeed, permitted and encouraged to marry and reproduce. ;)

Yes, I believe that Christ is the head of the Universal Church and ascended to heaven. Look, if you have a point to make, go ahead and make it. I don't like being led down a road via question and answer sessions when I don't quite know the direction you are taking me.

In the book of Acts, which you argue is the basis for your Church's hierarchy, only deacons and elders are authorized to be used by individual churches. No unifying church government, no pope. Only deacons and only elders to oversee and order the affairs of each individual congregation.
Political Party: Republican (moderate) Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -0.25 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51

"And the Tea Party Hobbits can return to Middle-Earth having defeated Mordor" -John McCain

Global and Comparative Studies Major at Birmingham-Southern College

Bordurian
Minister

Founded: Mar 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bordurian » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:00 pm

Just a question, who founded the Baptism movement? Sorry, don't know this one.
Signed: Stefan III of Bordurian Grand Duke of Małapolska Duke of Bratislava Lord of Bohemia Baron of Zakopane, order of the Bear and of the Holy cross, His Holy Catholic Majesty Stefan III
Left -2.69
Authoritarian 3.45
[/floatleft]
Winners of the Free South Califas Roller Hockey Tournament
Participant in the 61st cup of Harmony,the 48th Baptisim of
Fire, the 19th Rugby Union world cup and World Cup 62
History, Geography, Reading, European
holidays, running, soccer, golf and Badminton

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:03 pm

Bordurian wrote:Just a question, who founded the Baptism movement? Sorry, don't know this one.

It's complicated.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Nansurium
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Nansurium » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:03 pm

SanctusEmpire wrote:I joined an Apostolic church to escape the hypocrisy of life in a western democratic society and to find a more meaningful purpose in life. As much as the reaching out to others went I agree in the concept of saving souls but to do that in a Christian sense meant condemnation for those who weren't willing to be saved that day. Fly s in the face of free will doesn't it? Anyway I left. I cant say too much about Islam as I know next to nothing about Islam except to say that my children know that Christianity and Islam have one thing in common. War.

Jesus didn't go to war as far as I know? Can anyone else tell me if Jesus went to war?

The only Christians that I know of who fought a war over religion was the Catholic Church. However, you will find that most religious wars have practical, political purposes rather than spiritual ones. Religion is simply an excuse.
Political Party: Republican (moderate) Political Compass: Economic Left/Right: -0.25 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.51

"And the Tea Party Hobbits can return to Middle-Earth having defeated Mordor" -John McCain

Global and Comparative Studies Major at Birmingham-Southern College

Bordurian
Minister

Founded: Mar 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bordurian » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Nansurium wrote:
SanctusEmpire wrote:I joined an Apostolic church to escape the hypocrisy of life in a western democratic society and to find a more meaningful purpose in life. As much as the reaching out to others went I agree in the concept of saving souls but to do that in a Christian sense meant condemnation for those who weren't willing to be saved that day. Fly s in the face of free will doesn't it? Anyway I left. I cant say too much about Islam as I know next to nothing about Islam except to say that my children know that Christianity and Islam have one thing in common. War.

Jesus didn't go to war as far as I know? Can anyone else tell me if Jesus went to war?

Protestant movement vs Catholicism in the 30 years war.
The only Christians that I know of who fought a war over religion was the Catholic Church. However, you will find that most religious wars have practical, political purposes rather than spiritual ones. Religion is simply an excuse.
Signed: Stefan III of Bordurian Grand Duke of Małapolska Duke of Bratislava Lord of Bohemia Baron of Zakopane, order of the Bear and of the Holy cross, His Holy Catholic Majesty Stefan III
Left -2.69
Authoritarian 3.45
[/floatleft]
Winners of the Free South Califas Roller Hockey Tournament
Participant in the 61st cup of Harmony,the 48th Baptisim of
Fire, the 19th Rugby Union world cup and World Cup 62
History, Geography, Reading, European
holidays, running, soccer, golf and Badminton

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:06 pm

Nansurium wrote:

And the Lutherans and a bunch of German Protestants and English Puritans and French Huguenots ...

Orcoa
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:16 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Nansurium wrote:

And the Lutherans and a bunch of German Protestants and English Puritans and French Huguenots ...

Which is pretty interesting stuff to read about, because from what I have read...a lot of times those wars were fought under the disguise of Religion but most of the time it was for political reasons :lol:
Long Live The Wolf Emperor!
This is the song I sing to those who screw with me XD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXnFhnpEgKY
"this is the Internet: The place where religion goes to die." Crystalcliff Point

An Slanaitheoir
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby An Slanaitheoir » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:48 pm

Nansurium wrote:
SanctusEmpire wrote:Jesus didn't go to war as far as I know? Can anyone else tell me if Jesus went to war?

I watched a video about the Crusades on the History channel (which I have been told is unreliable), and I was getting mad at that part, where they were saying that Pope just wanted to regain Political power in Europe. The only Catholic they had on the show was a priest was that was about the findings of Relics, which they had mocked and he said the ability to discern true relics is a grace and a matter of Faith. Yet they had Two Arabs, one of which told a gruesome story about the Crusaders to little kids (like 8-9 years old) where the Crusaders ate the flesh of the Peaceful Muslims in the City. I have no problem with him telling that story, but it was sort of indoctrinating a hatred for the "Franks", as the Arabs experts/historians called westerners.

Oh, yea, back to the topic and my point.

Can you give me some proof how much of it was for political reasons. I am not denying that there was some political reasons for it, but he would not have been able to have been Beatified if he had sent men to war for his personal gain (part of the requirement being that a miracle must have been perform by asking for his intercession, meaning he must be in Heaven). I say that the Crusades had a spiritual purpose at it inception by the Religious authorities, but that got strayed when those that where not true Christians got involved.
"I am Patrick, a sinner, most uncultivated and least of all the faithful and despised in the eyes of many." ― St.Patrick

6% Cosmopolitan
43% Fundamentalist
5% Reactionary
8% Anarchistic
2% Communistic
14% Pacifist
4% Anthropocentric
My Political test results
My Political test results 2

If you care, the pronuciation is "an slawnihore"

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:28 pm

Orcoa wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:And the Lutherans and a bunch of German Protestants and English Puritans and French Huguenots ...

Which is pretty interesting stuff to read about, because from what I have read...a lot of times those wars were fought under the disguise of Religion but most of the time it was for political reasons :lol:

:lol: Heretic! *menacing guards advance toward you* A deep dungeon, lads.

Orcoa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Orcoa wrote:Which is pretty interesting stuff to read about, because from what I have read...a lot of times those wars were fought under the disguise of Religion but most of the time it was for political reasons :lol:

:lol: Heretic! *menacing guards advance toward you* A deep dungeon, lads.

I'm being Oppressed! :lol:

"this is the Internet: The place where religion goes to die." Crystalcliff Point

SanctusEmpire
Ambassador

Founded: May 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby SanctusEmpire » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:14 am

There are those of us who live in a stratosphere above those who dwell in the land of religion. Chingis Khan was one and so was Constantine. My understanding of Chingis Khan was when it came to religion he intrinsically had no problem with an individuals belief system as long as it didnt have a detrimental impact of the common harmony. If it did then he would kill the usurpers. He or his generals would conquer a city then determine whether or not to kill everyone with maintaining harmony in mind. Sometimes this meant killing everyone. If harmony meant killing all the Christians then so be it or killing or the Muslims then so be it also but harmony was the ultimate goal. I understand that Temujin dabbled in the 3 main religions of his time but held favour with Buddhism. I think under this perspective the world might be a better place

Constantine as I understand was simply an inept leader who had the fortune of realising that to control his ever converting to Christ army he had to become the boss of all Christians. Held a great big meeting where at the end of it he decided what was gospel and what wasn't and hence Christianity was born. I must say at this point I don't know why the Vatican is not in Istanbul today.

My point is this. Religion is relative?

An Slanaitheoir
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby An Slanaitheoir » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:38 am

SanctusEmpire wrote:There are those of us who live in a stratosphere above those who dwell in the land of religion. Chingis Khan was one and so was Constantine. My understanding of Chingis Khan was when it came to religion he intrinsically had no problem with an individuals belief system as long as it didnt have a detrimental impact of the common harmony. If it did then he would kill the usurpers. He or his generals would conquer a city then determine whether or not to kill everyone with maintaining harmony in mind. Sometimes this meant killing everyone. If harmony meant killing all the Christians then so be it or killing or the Muslims then so be it also but harmony was the ultimate goal. I understand that Temujin dabbled in the 3 main religions of his time but held favour with Buddhism. I think under this perspective the world might be a better place

So What are you saying, that we should kill those that harm the Harmony? That is a dangerous thought, as those in Power decide who is the disruptive people. I acknowledge you may have just used it as an example, but just asking if you advocate doing what they did.

SanctusEmpire wrote:Constantine as I understand was simply an inept leader who had the fortune of realising that to control his ever converting-to-Christ army he had to become the boss of all Christians.

Or, you know, maybe he actually had a vision from God.

SanctusEmpire wrote:Held a great big meeting where at the end of it he decided what was gospel and what wasn't and hence Christianity was born. I must say at this point I don't know why the Vatican is not in Istanbul today.

I think the easiest answer I can think of is that Peter was martyred in Rome and Peter is the first pope

SanctusEmpire wrote:My point is this. Religion is relative?

Can you explain that a little better
"I am Patrick, a sinner, most uncultivated and least of all the faithful and despised in the eyes of many." ― St.Patrick

6% Cosmopolitan
43% Fundamentalist
5% Reactionary
8% Anarchistic
2% Communistic
14% Pacifist
4% Anthropocentric
My Political test results
My Political test results 2

If you care, the pronuciation is "an slawnihore"

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:41 am

SanctusEmpire wrote:There are those of us who live in a stratosphere above those who dwell in the land of religion. Chingis Khan was one and so was Constantine. My understanding of Chingis Khan was when it came to religion he intrinsically had no problem with an individuals belief system as long as it didnt have a detrimental impact of the common harmony. If it did then he would kill the usurpers. He or his generals would conquer a city then determine whether or not to kill everyone with maintaining harmony in mind. Sometimes this meant killing everyone. If harmony meant killing all the Christians then so be it or killing or the Muslims then so be it also but harmony was the ultimate goal. I understand that Temujin dabbled in the 3 main religions of his time but held favour with Buddhism. I think under this perspective the world might be a better place

Constantine as I understand was simply an inept leader who had the fortune of realising that to control his ever converting to Christ army he had to become the boss of all Christians. Held a great big meeting where at the end of it he decided what was gospel and what wasn't and hence Christianity was born. I must say at this point I don't know why the Vatican is not in Istanbul today.

My point is this. Religion is relative?

I agree generally with An Slanaitheoir. Constantine was not "an inept leader" by any stretch of the imagination. His father, Constantius, was a major military and political figure during the principates of Aurelian and Diocletian, and became an Augustus, one of the two rulers of the Empire on the resignation of Diocletian and Maximian. Constantine was well-educated and sophisticated. His adoption of Christianity was undoubtedly political but by the early 4th century it had permeated every level of Roman society and there was no doing away with it.

Prussia-Steinbach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Prussia-Steinbach » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:38 am

SanctusEmpire wrote:There are those of us who live in a stratosphere above those who dwell in the land of religion. Chingis Khan was one and so was Constantine. My understanding of Chingis Khan was when it came to religion he intrinsically had no problem with an individuals belief system as long as it didnt have a detrimental impact of the common harmony. If it did then he would kill the usurpers. He or his generals would conquer a city then determine whether or not to kill everyone with maintaining harmony in mind. Sometimes this meant killing everyone. If harmony meant killing all the Christians then so be it or killing or the Muslims then so be it also but harmony was the ultimate goal.

You sound like you are condoning this. Kill those that don't go with the flow? Not a good idea.
SanctusEmpire wrote: I understand that Temujin dabbled in the 3 main religions of his time but held favour with Buddhism. I think under this perspective the world might be a better place.

Everyone dabbling in many different religions would make the world a better place? What?

SanctusEmpire wrote:Constantine as I understand was simply an inept leader who had the fortune of realising that to control his ever converting to Christ army he had to become the boss of all Christians. Held a great big meeting where at the end of it he decided what was gospel and what wasn't and hence Christianity was born.

No, Christ came to Earth, died, rose again, and hence Christianity was born.

Constantine might have actually been converted, you know. Not everyone is religious because of convenience.

SanctusEmpire wrote: I must say at this point I don't know why the Vatican is not in Istanbul today.

I do not know very much about Catholic history, so cannot answer this.

SanctusEmpire wrote:My point is this. Religion is relative?

I didn't get that point at all.
Last edited by Prussia-Steinbach on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do.
The question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it. ― William S. Burroughs

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:43 am

The United Soviet Socialist Republic wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Because he can.

I must admit playing games where you play God and can shoot lighting bolts or generate storms are really fun. When is it not fun to smite random people?

Idk, maybe when they're actual living people? Just a stab in the dark.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:44 am

Mavorpen wrote:
The United Soviet Socialist Republic wrote:I must admit playing games where you play God and can shoot lighting bolts or generate storms are really fun. When is it not fun to smite random people?

Idk, maybe when they're actual living people? Just a stab in the dark.

Stabbing them in the dark is no fun.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:49 am

Prussia-Steinbach wrote:No, Christ came to Earth, died, rose again, and hence Christianity was born.

Constantine might have actually been converted, you know. Not everyone is religious because of convenience.

Constantine's conversion is the epitome of convenience.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:54 am

Mavorpen wrote:
Prussia-Steinbach wrote:No, Christ came to Earth, died, rose again, and hence Christianity was born.

Constantine's conversion is the epitome of convenience.

Yeah. I'd actually be disappointed to see Constantine in heaven. As you say the epitome of a man who plays the odds to get God on his side.

Orcoa
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Orcoa » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:04 am

Mavorpen wrote:Constantine's conversion is the epitome of convenience.

Yeah. I'd actually be disappointed to see Constantine in heaven. As you say the epitome of a man who plays the odds to get God on his side.

He will most likely be in Limbo, since what he did was good in the long run but he did not believe it to heart.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General