NATION

PASSWORD

Teen's depiction of a family causes trouble

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Dorlania
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Dorlania » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:10 pm

What the actual fuck
"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stomping on a human face--forever"

Sardine World wrote:maintain

when you liberals cant get new technology because all the asians are dead, dont come crying to me

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Yes, but 9gag has nothing funny or original.
insert/gender/sexuality/political alignment/disorder
the soft parade has now begun~
Unity and Solidarity
Mallorea and Riva should resign

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Nadkor wrote:Actually what annoys me the most about this (as if it wasn't ridiculous enough already) is that the utterly stupid actions of the school provide ammunition to those who try and stamp out any progressive or inclusive movements by claiming that their ultimate goal isn't inclusiveness and equality but the subjugation of straight white Christianity and the traditional family.

So...top work, school. You're hugely undermining the advancement of the progressive and inclusive ideas you presumably seek to advance. Big round of applause. You complete morons.

Translation: You asses, you let the water boil far too quickly ,and now the fucking frog will jump out.
Kosovo is Serbia!
Embassy Anthem Store Facts

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Great Nepal wrote:Please stick to OFFICIAL numbers. Why to go to scholars,[cut]

UEG-The Systems Alliance
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby UEG-The Systems Alliance » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:20 pm

Norstal wrote:They forgot to represent the Asari and the Krogans. Not to mention us, the Turians.

You humans are all racist.

And the Sangheili, Jiralhanae, Kig-Yar and Unggoy!

Next person uses Star Trek or Star Wars aliens , meme time
CodexCitadel EmbassyCodex on Governments

Old Beringia wrote:Calm down and don't worry if no one makes brownies in other nations. It's not as if it's a necessity like bread or water. I'm sure they can all exist without brownies because other pastries exist and the dessert may just go by another name in those countries. The fudgey dessert must be your favorite if you get so antsy when no one knows what a brownie is. So please, calm down and go order a box of supreme fudge chocolate chip brownies from your local 9 and i convenience store; I understand they now deliver baked goods.

Arbites
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Norstal wrote:They forgot to represent the Asari and the Krogans. Not to mention us, the Turians.

You humans are all racist.

Offended: you forgot the hanar, volus, quarians, drell, batarians, vorcha, and we elcor.

Angrily dismissive: You turians are all racist.
He who stands with me shall be my brother

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:02 pm

Central Slavia wrote:
Nadkor wrote:Actually what annoys me the most about this (as if it wasn't ridiculous enough already) is that the utterly stupid actions of the school provide ammunition to those who try and stamp out any progressive or inclusive movements by claiming that their ultimate goal isn't inclusiveness and equality but the subjugation of straight white Christianity and the traditional family.

So...top work, school. You're hugely undermining the advancement of the progressive and inclusive ideas you presumably seek to advance. Big round of applause. You complete morons.

Translation: You asses, you let the water boil far too quickly ,and now the fucking frog will jump out.

Eh, no.

Good try, though, everyone's just loving you for that.
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

Individual Impersonators
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Individual Impersonators » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:30 am

What a pathetic school. I hope the school personell involved in discouraging a plain mural where penalised.
I wonder if they would have said anything if there where two men and a child at the end?
The fact is that the majority of people are straight and the majority of people will find a partner at some point in their lives. I am willing to bet over 90% of the students at that school exist because a female and a male had sex and at one point (possibly now) the female and male where married. Yes, there will be fringes who where not married and in the future more children will exist due to artificial insemination but the majority will still be produced through hetrosexual intercourse just like any other mammal.

I could understand if the male and female where in bed, groping etc, but standing up!! Watch out you hetrosexuals because standing near your partner may now cause offense to some people and you wouldnt want to disrimate against them, would you?

summary: PATHETIC

Vortiaganica
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Vortiaganica » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:35 am

Individual Impersonators wrote:What a pathetic school. I hope the school personell involved in discouraging a plain mural where penalised.
I wonder if they would have said anything if there where two men and a child at the end?
The fact is that the majority of people are straight and the majority of people will find a partner at some point in their lives. I am willing to bet over 90% of the students at that school exist because a female and a male had sex and at one point (possibly now) the female and male where married. Yes, there will be fringes who where not married and in the future more children will exist due to artificial insemination but the majority will still be produced through hetrosexual intercourse just like any other mammal.

I could understand if the male and female where in bed, groping etc, but standing up!! Watch out you hetrosexuals because standing near your partner may now cause offense to some people and you wouldnt want to disrimate against them, would you?

summary: PATHETIC

People would have complained if it was two men and a child, two women and a child, two children, or a woman wearing a burqa holding a brassiere over a desktop counter.
The Grim Reaper in Disguise

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:46 am

What, exactly, what she *supposed* to do? Show him crushed by the burden of his dead-end job, unending mountains of student loans, his unloving wife who he separated from a year ago but has to pay exorbitant child support payments to even as she tells his children what a horrible monster he is while he simultaneously deals with the embarrassing diseases he contracted while engaging in some cheap back-alley love? Or was she supposed to do the same thing, but with a man?

You know, thinking about it, the school is clearly the one being discriminatory here. They automatically ASSUME that because somebody is wearing a dress and has long hair that they're a woman. Maybe the 'wife' in that mural is actually a cross dressing male.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Caurobia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Caurobia » Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:50 am

Honestly I am sick of all this political correct non-sense. Seriously there is nothing wrong with a painting of an ideal family.
Last edited by Caurobia on Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:07 am

I like how they used information from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention. I guess pregnancy could be counted as an STD. :p

More seriously, this is proof that the Right-wingers have a point when they talk about 'political correctness going too far'.

Too true. Personally, as a conservative I defend the family as the basic unit of society, but I don't have a problem with families that don't quite match the 'traditional' nuclear family. This sort of thing just gives my less-tolerant colleagues on the political Right extra ammunition.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:05 am

As much as I support LGBT rights, I find this to be stupid. I mean seriously? What's next? When does the fucking stupidity end???
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:19 am

Yeah, they are really being counterproductive. If they are concerned about inclusiveness, let someone put up a gay-friendly mural in another part of the school.
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Nazi Flower Power
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 24, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Nazi Flower Power » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:21 am

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Maybe the 'wife' in that mural is actually a cross dressing male.

Naturally! :lol:
The Serene and Glorious Reich of Nazi Flower Power has existed for longer than Nazi Germany! Thank you to all the brave men and women of the Allied forces who made this possible!

Meritorious standard
Attaché

Founded: Mar 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Meritorious standard » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:14 pm

Caurobia wrote:Honestly I am sick of all this political correct non-sense. Seriously there is nothing wrong with a painting of an ideal family.

Agreed. One MALE one FEMALE with at least one male and one female offspring for balance is the minimum ideal.
Fuck Politically Correct Fascist Thought. A natural family is that above but other family types exist in nature as well; so let's just work with what we have and quit ramming PC down everyone's throats. If people get offended I say this: Suck it up Buttercup.
A New Nobility of Blood, Soil, and Soul
"We said to ourselves that to be 'national' means above everything to act with a boundless and all-embracing love for the people and, if necessary, even to die for it. And similarly to be 'social' means so to build up the state and the community of the people that every individual acts in the interest of the community of the people and must be to such an extent convinced of the goodness, of the honorable straightforwardness of this community of the people as to be ready to die for it. The Aryan regards work as the foundation for the maintenance of the community of people amongst it members."
Excerpt from AH April 12 1922 speech in Munich

Mosasauria
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 13, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mosasauria » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Ummm... What exactly was offensive about this?
Under New Management since 8/9/12

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:16 pm

Great, make us socially accepting people look bad. Way to go...
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

SaintB
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby SaintB » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:17 pm

Mosasauria wrote:Ummm... What exactly was offensive about this?

It wasn't offensive to traditionalists and thus offensive? I don't know...
Hi my name is SaintB and I am prone to sarcasm and hyperbole. Because of this I make no warranties, express or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness, reliability or suitability of the above statement, of its constituent parts, or of any supporting data. These terms are subject to change without notice from myself.

Every day NationStates tells me I have one issue. I am pretty sure I've got more than that.

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:33 pm

Imsogone wrote:What exactly did she paint that caused an uproar? Why was her painting very nearly painted over by school authorities? Why? Because she depicted a "traditional" family - a man, a woman and a child - with wedding rings.

I suppose that, if she had painted this as some sort of right wing-nut job protest against non-traditional forms of family - like gay families or single parent families, I might have objected, too. But the girl said she wasn't trying to cause trouble with the mural. "I felt bad because I didn’t want to offend anyone. I was scared that maybe it would go out to our homosexual community and I didn’t want them to get in an uprise because I was not trying to preach that’s the right thing to do at all," Bierendy told WPRO.

So, what's a kid to do? Is she supposed to go all PC on everyone? Can she express herself as she sees fit? Is she supposed to fill a canvas with representations of every family type there could be, in spite of what it might do to the "artistic" merit of the work?

Why can't she paint a "traditional" family without raising a shitstorm?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/1 ... d%3D151711

Everyday america gets worse and worse...
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:37 pm

Political correctness = the death of freedom

Get some skin people and stop being a wimp.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:39 pm

Ovisterra wrote:No matter what mural you paint, you're going to leave out "what some of the students experience" unless you do some big survey and find out and subsequently include everything everyone ever experienced.

This.
Jormengand wrote:It would be really meta if I sigged this.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:40 pm

Of course this is offensive! Look how low that kid's pants are in the third stage of his life! Shameful!
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Aleckandor
Minister

Founded: May 30, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aleckandor » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:40 pm

Sounds adamantly disgusting.

Movin' on.
♜♞♝ ~ THE GLOBAL SOVEREIGN CONFEDERACY OF ALECKANDOR ~ ♝♞♜
The IC demonym is "Aleckandorean(s)". Just call me Aleck.
"ANYBODY THAT SAID YOU WON'T EAT XMAS AND NEW YEAR RICE, LET THEM DIE BY FIRE!" - Based Ugandan (?) Chef

Confederate Constituencies | Ethnocultural Groups | Yerhvennian Continent Map | Diplomatic Relationships
RP Tech: MT/PMT | Total GDP: $354.6 Trillion | Population (2020): 24.7 Billion | Standing Military: 10.3 Million

New Rogernomics
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby New Rogernomics » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:00 pm

I guess to get the school's seal of approval you have to paint a polygamous relationship/orgy with all races, and sexual categories included. :meh:
Herald (Vice-Delegate) of Lazarus
"Solidarity forever..."
Hoping for Peace in Israel and Palestine
  • Former First Citizen (PM) of Lazarus
  • Former Proedroi (Minister) of Foreign Affairs of Lazarus
  • Former Lazarus Delegate (Humane Republic of Lazarus, 2015)
  • Minister of Culture & Media (Humane Republic of Lazarus)
  • Foreign Minister of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Senator of The Ascendancy (RIP, and purged)
  • Interior Commissioner of Lazarus (Pre-People's Republic of Lazarus)
  • At some point a member of the Grey family...then father vanished...
  • Foreign Minister of The Last Kingdom (RIP)
  • ADN:DSA Rep for Eastern Roman Empire
  • Honoratus Servant of the Holy Land (Eastern Roman Empire)
  • UN/WA Delegate of Trans Atlantice (RIP)

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Kazarogkai wrote:Political correctness = the death of freedom

Get some skin people and stop being a wimp.

Oh no!! I can't be a prick to people on the basis of them belonging to a group I don't like for no rational reason without some people getting offended.

Political correctness gone mad!

THE DEATH OF FREEDOM
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:11 pm

Meritorious standard wrote:
Caurobia wrote:Honestly I am sick of all this political correct non-sense. Seriously there is nothing wrong with a painting of an ideal family.

Agreed. One MALE one FEMALE with at least one male and one female offspring for balance is the minimum ideal.
Fuck Politically Correct Fascist Thought. A natural family is that above but other family types exist in nature as well; so let's just work with what we have and quit ramming PC down everyone's throats. If people get offended I say this: Suck it up Buttercup.

Sounds like the only person spouting fascism here is you...

Also, do you not realize that given the current world population, that more children is a bad thing?

As for PC, yes, what the school did was stupid. But don't complain about having PC being rammed down your throat when you're advocating for ramming your own philosophy down everybody else's throats.

Hypocrisy. Its a bad thing, dude.
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General