NATION

PASSWORD

Hitler's Many Failures

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

IshCong
Senator

Founded: Aug 12, 2011
Libertarian Police State

Postby IshCong » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:50 pm

The UK in Exile wrote:
IshCong wrote:
That's rather different than fixing the supply lines, isn't it. ;)

indeed it is.

there are two solutions to the problem, send more supplies or use less supplies.

since A wasn't going to happen option B was the only one possible. since rommel didn't give a shit about supplies, he needed to go.

Rommel couldn't hold Africa with the supplies he had, through no real fault of his own.
Expecting a less competent commander to hold Africa with less supplies is unrealistic.
"I think that Ish'Cong coming back is what actually killed Nations. Not the CAS ragequitting and the Axis being the Axis."
The Identifier
Lt. Plot Spoiler
General Kill-joy
Major Wiki God
Comrade Commissar
Licensed Messenger Boy

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:51 pm

IshCong wrote:
The UK in Exile wrote:
indeed it is.

there are two solutions to the problem, send more supplies or use less supplies.

since A wasn't going to happen option B was the only one possible. since rommel didn't give a shit about supplies, he needed to go.

Rommel couldn't hold Africa with the supplies he had, through no real fault of his own.
Expecting a less competent commander to hold Africa with less supplies is unrealistic.

yes I rather think the idea was to send a more competent one. or at the least one who could count.
Last edited by The UK in Exile on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 30, 2012
New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:03 pm

IshCong wrote:
The UK in Exile wrote:
indeed it is.

Actually he had a number of opportunites where the supply lines were over extended too far and he needed to go just a little further for victory.

Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:
Forsher wrote:
Well, ideally he would find another capable commander, either to replace Rommel or take over his supply lines.

How, exactly, was Rommel at fault for the Royal Navy owning the Mediterranean?

Which is where the RN comes into play. Had that not been the case it is entirely possible that the overextension would have happened slightly later. It might have made a lot of a difference. Of course this post reveals a difference in what aspects we have been looking at.

The UK in Exile wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:How, exactly, was Rommel at fault for the Royal Navy owning the Mediterranean?

launching an offensive you don't have supplies for isn't clever.

Well, it can be. And for a while it was but, I suppose, the overall problems that he had (both within and beyond his control) ultimately meant it wasn't.

IshCong wrote:
Hardened Pyrokinetics wrote:How, exactly, was Rommel at fault for the Royal Navy owning the Mediterranean?

Yeah, I'm with Pyro on this one.
That wasn't a situation that could have been fixed merely by swapping out commanders in Africa.
I'm still not seeing how Hitler could have fixed Rommel's supply problems.

Hopefully I have now addressed this.

IshCong wrote:
The UK in Exile wrote:
launching an offensive you don't have supplies for isn't clever.

That's rather different than fixing the supply lines, isn't it. ;)

This too.
That it Could be What it Is, Is What it Is

Stop making shit up, though. Links, or it's a God-damn lie and you know it.

The normie life is heteronormie

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

IshCong
Senator

Libertarian Police State

Postby IshCong » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:03 pm

The UK in Exile wrote:
IshCong wrote:

yes I rather think the idea was to send a more competent one. or at the least one who could count.

Then explain how Rommel was incompetent, and name a commander more suited for the task.
Please.
"I think that Ish'Cong coming back is what actually killed Nations. Not the CAS ragequitting and the Axis being the Axis."
The Identifier
Lt. Plot Spoiler
General Kill-joy
Major Wiki God
Comrade Commissar
Licensed Messenger Boy

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:05 pm

IshCong wrote:
The UK in Exile wrote:

Then explain how Rommel was incompetent, and name a commander more suited for the task.
Please.

You seem to be under the impression that all of Rommel's supply issues stemmed from the restricted nature of his supllies.

We won't know until 2053 when it'll be really obvious what he should've done. [...] We have no option but to guess.

IshCong
Senator

Libertarian Police State

Postby IshCong » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:08 pm

Forsher wrote:
IshCong wrote:
Please.

You seem to be under the impression that all of Rommel's supply issues stemmed from the restricted nature of his supllies.

You didn't answer my question... :unsure:
The Identifier
Lt. Plot Spoiler
General Kill-joy
Major Wiki God
Comrade Commissar
Licensed Messenger Boy

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:11 pm

IshCong wrote:
The UK in Exile wrote:

Please.

no, I believe I will let chief of the general staff Franz Halder explain.

"Now at last he is constrained to state that his forces are not sufficiently strong to allow him to take full advantage of the 'unique opportunities' offered by the overall situation. That is the impression we have had for quite some time over here."

a commander more suited for the task? who knows.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:12 pm

IshCong wrote:
Forsher wrote:

You didn't answer my question... :unsure:

Essentially, Rommel went way too far.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:12 pm

Being Hitler.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:18 pm

The UK in Exile wrote:
IshCong wrote:
Please.

no, I believe I will let chief of the general staff Franz Halder explain.

"Now at last he is constrained to state that his forces are not sufficiently strong to allow him to take full advantage of the 'unique opportunities' offered by the overall situation. That is the impression we have had for quite some time over here."

a commander more suited for the task? who knows.

Also.

Risottia wrote:
Kirrig wrote:Rommel is only overrated because he didn't establish adequate supply lines.

And because he diverted the Axis operation that was ready for Malta to the Lybian theatre.
And because he thought that after Kasserine the Algerian front was secured.
And because he left his command post in North Africa vacant at a crucial time.
And because he completely fucked up the early deployment at the second El-Alamein, opting for a symmetrical defensive configuration not allowing for any counterattack (neither on the shores nor on Al-Qattara).
And because he fucked up the redeployment after Monty's first attack there, and all of his strategy became "trying saving the German units by running back all the way to Tunis".
And because he fucked up all the Atlantic Wall.
And because he wasn't able to mount an armoured counterattack at D+1.

Also... you pointed out that you needed to put up a good supply line. And you stated that Rommel wasn't able to put up supply lines (that is, sucked at strategy). Why would you choose Rommel? Just to be sure to fail again?

And somewhere in here are many answers to that question.
Last edited by Forsher on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Foguk
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Foguk » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:19 pm

He was short.

and Austrian.
Economic: Left/Right, 9.75 Points
Social: Libertarian/Authoritarian, 4.26 Points
Colour the world Red
My nation of Foguk is representative of my views. Let me get this out of the way: I am not trolling, they are just my views. Don't get worked up.
"If the opposition disarms, well and good. If the opposition refuses to disarm, we shall disarm them ourselves"
Joesph Stalin
"When we hang the capitalists, they will sell us the rope we use"
Joseph Stalin

Communist Cyrodiil
Envoy

Founded: Dec 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Cyrodiil » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:24 pm

His first mistake was invading Poland.

IshCong
Senator

Libertarian Police State

Postby IshCong » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:28 pm

Forsher wrote:
Risottia wrote:And because he diverted the Axis operation that was ready for Malta to the Lybian theatre.
And because he thought that after Kasserine the Algerian front was secured.
And because he left his command post in North Africa vacant at a crucial time.
And because he completely fucked up the early deployment at the second El-Alamein, opting for a symmetrical defensive configuration not allowing for any counterattack (neither on the shores nor on Al-Qattara).
And because he fucked up the redeployment after Monty's first attack there, and all of his strategy became "trying saving the German units by running back all the way to Tunis".
And because he fucked up all the Atlantic Wall.
And because he wasn't able to mount an armoured counterattack at D+1.

Also... you pointed out that you needed to put up a good supply line. And you stated that Rommel wasn't able to put up supply lines (that is, sucked at strategy). Why would you choose Rommel? Just to be sure to fail again?

And somewhere in here are many answers to that question.

Risottia's post is much more helpful. Thank you. :)
The Identifier
Lt. Plot Spoiler
General Kill-joy
Major Wiki God
Comrade Commissar
Licensed Messenger Boy

North California
Minister

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby North California » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:29 pm

Constaniana wrote:
Divair wrote:Or when Americans won the Battle of Britain? Or the battle of El Alamein?
Quite funny how the Americans think they won the war.

Yes, they show up late for every war and then try to take all the credit, saying how they're so tough, when the only reason they never truly suffered major damage was because of their geographical isolation

What's funny though is how a year after the US entered both World Wars against Germany, they ended. Coincidence? No. Face it, nobody wants a prolonged war against the US, so they throw in the towel while everyone else piggy-backs on us. Japan learned the hard way.

I'm not saying America single-highhandedly won the war, but you guys are greatly underestimating our contribution. D-Day wouldn't have even been considered if America wasn't in the fight.
Last edited by North California on Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am a staunch supporter of Austrian Theory economics as defined by Ludwig von Mises, and I consider myself to be a libertarian and I support Ron Paul Gary Johnson. Basically, I am a capitalist revolutionary
Economic Left/Right: 6.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.92

Everyone should watch this video

Factbook

Got a US-themed nation, and need a flag? This is the place

American Nationalist. Yet, anti-American government

The Tree Hugging People
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Tree Hugging People » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:31 pm

He had one ball..... That's just sad.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:31 pm

Communist Cyrodiil wrote:His first mistake was invading Poland.

Assuming he was actually interested in dealing with the Treaty of Versailles the invasion of the rest of Czechoslovakia was the error.

IshCong
Senator

Libertarian Police State

Postby IshCong » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:32 pm

North California wrote:
Constaniana wrote:Yes, they show up late for every war and then try to take all the credit, saying how they're so tough, when the only reason they never truly suffered major damage was because of their geographical isolation

What's funny though is how a year after the US entered both World Wars against Germany, they ended. Coincidence? No.

Blatant lies.

Face it, nobody wants a prolonged war against the US, so they throw in the towel while everyone else piggy-backs on us. Japan learned the hard way.

I'm not saying America single-highhandedly won the war, but you guys are greatly underestimating our contribution. D-Day wouldn't have even been considered if America wasn't in the fight.

It wouldn't have been considered without Britain or the USSR either.
Now, can we get back to the topic rather than more nationalist nit-picking?
The Identifier
Lt. Plot Spoiler
General Kill-joy
Major Wiki God
Comrade Commissar
Licensed Messenger Boy

Lynion
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Lynion » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:35 pm

Wait a second, Nazi merely went to the moon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He_PWsJqsVY

Seriously though, his major failure was believing he was a better general than the rest of his staff, he didn't listen to anyone especially during the last years of the WW2, invading the Soviet Union and invading North Africa at the same time. He either should've focused on the Soviet Union and gain the oil in the south and then used that to get into the Middle East. That and he wasn't a general of any kind.
"Indeed" Merlin replied, remaining in shadow "Emotions give people more power than they could possibly image. Emotions can turn the tide of battles with a single heroic act, help beat back even the strongest enemy. Emotions are what keeps us going in our hour of need. Hope, and trust in our friends. What Rathma did, he did because he had emotions, not because he had a lack of them"

Merlin, Ustio North - Origins of a Hero

RP's with a population of 5bn

Communist Cyrodiil
Envoy

Founded: Dec 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Communist Cyrodiil » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:36 pm

Forsher wrote:
Communist Cyrodiil wrote:His first mistake was invading Poland.

Assuming he was actually interested in dealing with the Treaty of Versailles the invasion of the rest of Czechoslovakia was the error.

Well his first mistake was picking a fight with the world.

Forsher
Postmaster of the Fleet

New York Times Democracy

Postby Forsher » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:39 pm

Communist Cyrodiil wrote:
Forsher wrote:

Well his first mistake was picking a fight with the world.

Well, that was his biggest error.

Jafas United
Minister

Founded: Jul 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jafas United » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:40 pm

Operation Barbarossa and thinking the Italians wouldn't betray him were his two most costly failures.

Awesomeland
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Capitalizt

Postby Awesomeland » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Hitler's primary mistake, the one they he repeated essentially throughout his later career, breaking rule 17: ignoring his generals. He got lucky early on, and took this as a belief that he knew the business of invading things better than his generals did, and so he repeatedly ignored them. This caught up messily with him.

Rule #17: When I employ people as advisors, I will occasionally listen to their advice.

IshCong
Senator

Libertarian Police State

Postby IshCong » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:04 pm

Awesomeland wrote:Hitler's primary mistake, the one they he repeated essentially throughout his later career, breaking rule 17: ignoring his generals. He got lucky early on, and took this as a belief that he knew the business of invading things better than his generals did, and so he repeatedly ignored them. This caught up messily with him.

Rule #17: When I employ people as advisors, I will occasionally listen to their advice.

Rule #17?
Try Rule #0: I will read the List. ;)
The Identifier
Lt. Plot Spoiler
General Kill-joy
Major Wiki God
Comrade Commissar
Licensed Messenger Boy

Goldbar
Secretary

Founded: Apr 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Goldbar » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:15 pm

His belief in the occult doomed him. He was obsessed with becoming immortal. It drove him mad. He also beleived his own propaganda - he believed he was infallible. He wouldn't listen to anybody in the end - hence many strategic and tactical mistakes. Hitler was already mad when the US entered the war. He would have lost via some huge tactical mistake (like attacking Russia, which he did and in doing so destroyed his own military), or he would have eventually been assassinated.

IshCong
Senator

Libertarian Police State

Postby IshCong » Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:18 pm

Goldbar wrote:His belief in the occult doomed him. He was obsessed with becoming immortal. It drove him mad. He also beleived his own propaganda - he believed he was infallible. He wouldn't listen to anybody in the end - hence many strategic and tactical mistakes. Hitler was already mad when the US entered the war. He would have lost via some huge tactical mistake (like attacking Russia, which he did and in doing so destroyed his own military), or he would have eventually been assassinated.

In Soviet Eastern Europe, USSR invades YOU!
Seriously though, whether Hitler invaded or not, the USSR was going to take a slice out of Germany at some point. Most likely, before the war was concluded otherwise.
The Identifier
Lt. Plot Spoiler
General Kill-joy
Major Wiki God
Comrade Commissar
Licensed Messenger Boy

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General