NATION

PASSWORD

Renault banned from F1 starting in 2012

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Neu California
Minister
 
Posts: 3295
Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Renault banned from F1 starting in 2012

Postby Neu California » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:47 pm

The BBC wrote:Renault handed suspended F1 ban

Renault have been given a two-year suspended ban from Formula 1 for their role in fixing last year's Singapore Grand Prix.

The team were called before governing body the FIA to answer charges they had asked driver Nelson Piquet Jr to crash to help team-mate Fernando Alonso win.

Former team boss Flavio Briatore has been banned from FIA-sanctioned events for an unlimited period.

Ex-engineering director Pat Symonds has also been excluded for five years.

Briatore and Symonds parted company with Renault last week at the same time as the French car giant said they would not contest the charges.

The FIA agreed not to pursue action against Piquet in return for his role in uncovering the details of the scandal.

Alonso, who attended the hearing in Paris, was also cleared of any involvement in the race-fixing scheme and the FIA thanked him for "cooperating with enquiries".

The World Motor Sport Council ruled that Renault was guilty of breaking its sporting code, finding; "breaches relating to the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix to be of unparalleled severity.

"They not only compromised the integrity of the sport but also endangered the lives of spectators, officials, other competitors and Nelson Piquet Jr. himself.

"The WMSC considers that offences of this severity merit permanent disqualification from the FIA Formula One World Championship.

"However, in particular the steps taken by Renault F1 to identify and address the failings within its team and condemn the actions of the individuals involved, the WMSC has decided to suspend Renault F1's disqualification until the end of the 2011 season."

FIA president Max Mosley added: "The blame has been placed where it should be placed and it's the right decision.

"The penalty that we've imposed is the harshest one we can but because Renault have demonstrated that they have no moral responsibility for what took place, it would be wrong in the circumstances to impose an immediate penalty."

The hearing was an attempt to attribute responsibility for the Singapore scandal despite the departure of Briatore and Symonds.

Renault explained that its internal investigation found that Briatore, Symonds and Piquet Jr had conspired to cause the crash with no other team member involved.

After conducting its own investigation, the FIA agreed with Renault's findings and decided to hand the French team a more lenient suspended sentence.

Renault, who will pay the cost of the FIA investigation, as well as contributing to its safety-related projects, said it accepted the council's decision.

"We are very sad to find ourselves in front of the Word Motor Sport Council," a team statement said.

"We apologise unreservedly to the F1 community in relation to this unacceptable behaviour.

"We sincerely hope that we can soon put this matter behind us and focus constructively on the future. We will issue further information in the next few days."

The FIA imposed further sanctions on Briatore, who ended his nine-year reign as Renault team principal last week in the wake of the scandal.

The Italian has been banned indefinitely from attending any FIA events. A route back into F1 was made more difficult for Briatore as the FIA declared it would not grant a licence to any team he was involved with or renew an F1 Superlicence granted to any driver associated with him.

Renault's double world champion Alonso and Red Bull's Mark Webber are both managed by Briatore while McLaren's Heikki Kovalainen also has ties with the Italian.

Symonds was banned from all FIA events for five years but the FIA noted his communication to the hearing "that it was to his 'eternal regret and shame' that he had participated in the conspiracy".

The fateful conspiracy was brought to light by Piquet after he was sacked by Renault following July's Hungarian GP.

The 24-year-old Brazilian said after the hearing: "I bitterly regret my actions to follow the orders I was given. I wish every day that I had not done it."

During last year's Singapore night race Piquet crashed on lap 14, two laps after Alonso had stopped for fuel and tyres, and a safety car was deployed to control the field while the debris from the accident was removed from the track.

Having already pitted in the race, the timing of the safety car - necessary while Piquet's wrecked car was removed from the track - was critical to Alonso's victory in Singapore.

It meant that when the safety car came out, he was alone among the front-runners in not having to stop for fuel and tyres and it promoted him into a position from which he was able to win.

The FIA's ruling on the race-fixing behind the Spaniard's victory has been reached in the same week that Formula 1 returns to Singapore for this season's race, with first practice at 1100 BST on Friday, 25 September.

While the majority of the Renault team flew out to Singapore over the weekend, the long-term future of the French team remains in doubt.

The team's main sponsor, Dutch bank ING, had already decided to withdraw its support at the end of the season while Renault itself reported losses as a result of falling car sales in the first half of the year.

Two major car manufacturers have pulled out of F1 in the last nine months, with Honda quitting last December and BMW announcing in July they would stop at the end of the year.

There have long been rumours that both Renault and Toyota, who have said it will not sign off its 2010 F1 budget until November, could follow them out of the sport.

If Renault and Toyota pulled out, the only two car companies left in F1 would be Mercedes and Fiat through its Ferrari brand.

As the car companies supply engines to the entire grid this year, that could be a major problem, notwithstanding the return of privateer engine company Cosworth next season as supplier to the new teams Lotus, US F1, Campos and Manor.

"Formula 1 can't afford another major manufacturer with such a proud history to walk away," said the BBC's James Munro in Paris.

"So some may accuse the FIA of that having influenced their decision."


Now, it was a stupid decision, but I think the ruling is a little harsh
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

Ostroeuropa refuses to answer this question:
Neu California wrote:do women deserve equal rights in your opinion?

User avatar
Fartsniffage
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41256
Founded: Dec 19, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Fartsniffage » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:49 pm

The punishment is wrong.

They should be banned immediatly and fined enough to pay for a full safety upgrade at all F1 tracks.

User avatar
Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry
 
Posts: 15007
Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:08 pm

This is a dramatic climax to the scandal that has rocked the world of motoring sport. In my honest opinion Renault must have learnt their lesson and if so they should be able to appeal the ban. But the people directly behind the race-fixing are right to be banned as is. Maybe, I don't mind if Renault decides to observe the ban, just as long as the game is fair.

I'd like to point out that Brawn GP and McLaren are unaffected by the decision, so there's no need to worry, Button fans!

User avatar
Cannot think of a name
Post Czar
 
Posts: 41636
Founded: Antiquity
New York Times Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:22 pm

I just told someone that I didn't think it would go this way, except it did. I thought for sure that Briatore leaving was the sacrificial maneuver to save Renault because F1 couldn't afford to shed manufacturers, especially one as highly involved as Renault. Obviously this is one of those things that they can't let stand, team orders is one thing, but wrecking a car to fix the results is just dangerous. They have to send a clear message. I'm surprised that they have the balls to cut out one of their top teams, though.

However-
There have long been rumours that both Renault and Toyota, who have said it will not sign off its 2010 F1 budget until November, could follow them out of the sport.

-maybe they were on their way out anyway.

Silver lining:
the return of privateer engine company Cosworth next season as supplier to the new teams Lotus, US F1, Campos and Manor.

Lotus is coming back! WooHoo!
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

User avatar
Krytenia
Senator
 
Posts: 4428
Founded: Apr 22, 2004
Capitalizt

Postby Krytenia » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:12 pm

Neu California wrote:Now, it was a stupid decision, but I think the ruling is a little harsh


Not really. They're only banned only if they breach the rules again.

3 News New Zealand wrote:Renault escaped severe punishment for ordering former driver Nelson Piquet Jr. to deliberately crash in a race, receiving only a suspended ban from Formula One.

A permanent disqualification from the sport will be handed to the team if it again breaches the FIA's rules within the next two years.
"I revel in the nonsense; it's why I'm in Anaia."
Capital: Emberton ⍟ RP Population: ~180,000,000 ⍟ Trigram: KRY ⍟ iTLD: .kt ⍟ Demonym: Krytenian, Krytie (inf.)
Languages: English (de jure), Spanish, French, Welsh (regional)

Hosts: Cup of Harmony 7, AOCAF 1, Cup of Harmony 15, World Cup 24, AOCAF 13, World Cup 29, AOCAF 17, AOCAF 23, World Cup 40, Cup of Harmony 32, Baptism of Fire 32, AOCAF 27, Baptism of Fire 36, World Cup 50, Baptism of Fire 40, Cup of Harmony 64, AOCAF 48, World Cup 75, AOCAF 40, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 2
Champions: AOCAF 52, Cup of Harmony 78, CAFA 6
Runner-Up: AOCAF 7, World Cup 58, Cup of Harmony 80, CAFA 1
Creator, AOCAF & Cygnus Cup - Host, VI Winter Olympics (Ashton) & VII Summer Olympics (Emberton)


Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hollow Rock, Ifreann, Immoren, Oceasia, Point Blob

Advertisement

Remove ads