NATION

PASSWORD

Is There a God?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:56 pm

Luna Amore wrote:Which raises the question, if we are that far removed from understanding god, why waste a thought on the subject?

Or why it would experience human emotions like jealousy, anger, pride, etc. For a god that is supposedly infinitely more intelligent than us and is both omnipotent and omniscient, the Bible sure does make it out like he's basically a human with magical powers.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Founded: Dec 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:56 pm

Jewcrew wrote:And if an alien intelligence smart than us doesn't exist, then it would apply either. But we don't know that an alien intelligence smarter than us doesn't exist.

Scientists take the notion of intelligent alien life seriously. From a scientific perspective, there is no reason to believe in a creator. The two are different.
Jewcrew wrote:But that doesn't matter, because both cases are hypothetical without solid proof. IF there is an alien species that is 1% different from us blah blah blah...

The chances of intelligent alien life not existing is negligible. Moreover, the scenario is purely hypothetical. If one uses the argument to try to argue for their God, then the argument becomes non applicable.
Jewcrew wrote:IF there is a being that can create and plan a universe with a thought blah blah blah...

Go ahead, provide the evidence then.
Jewcrew wrote:The scenario works for both situations. It is a logical and consistent argument. I don't see why you can't understand that.

One situation is purely hypothetical, another is used to actually support the idea.

But even using the argument, you forgot about the part where the really intelligent species wouldn't care about us at all, and wouldn't acknowledge us as being worthwhile to meddle in our lives. The same with a God. So a personal God becomes a joke in the argument anyway.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

The Daktanese Technocracy
Diplomat

Founded: May 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Daktanese Technocracy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:57 pm

Twilliamson wrote:no their no prove

Thes stetment has maed me an Gnostic Atheist.

Atheists: 1

Christians: 0

Bill Cosby: 48
"I remember the first time I died. Facing down my foe was to be expected. Even inevitable. Resurrected, my soul awoke and my battles were fought harder. Death became my friend. I remember the first time I died. But dying gets easier; it's how you die that leaves your mark. Prepare to die..."

Jewcrew
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jewcrew » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:59 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Jewcrew wrote:And if an alien intelligence smart than us doesn't exist, then it would apply either. But we don't know that an alien intelligence smarter than us doesn't exist.

Scientists take the notion of intelligent alien life seriously. From a scientific perspective, there is no reason to believe in a creator. The two are different.
Jewcrew wrote:But that doesn't matter, because both cases are hypothetical without solid proof. IF there is an alien species that is 1% different from us blah blah blah...

The chances of intelligent alien life not existing is negligible. Moreover, the scenario is purely hypothetical. If one uses the argument to try to argue for their God, then the argument becomes non applicable.
Jewcrew wrote:IF there is a being that can create and plan a universe with a thought blah blah blah...

Jewcrew wrote:The scenario works for both situations. It is a logical and consistent argument. I don't see why you can't understand that.

One situation is purely hypothetical, another is used to actually support the idea.

But even using the argument, you forgot about the part where the really intelligent species wouldn't care about us at all, and wouldn't acknowledge us as being worthwhile to meddle in our lives. The same with a God. So a personal God becomes a joke in the argument anyway.

I'm leaving this for someone else to deal with if they want, because I give up. Your argument makes no sense, it's just a bunch of circular logic, straw man and appeal to authority. I don't care enough to keep this up. Others got the point, it's just sad that you didn't.
Last edited by Jewcrew on Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zionism is the only path to peace. Masada will never fall again.

“Nobody does Israel any service by proclaiming its 'right to exist.'

Israel's right to exist, like that of the United States, Saudi Arabia and 152 other states, is axiomatic and unreserved. Israel's legitimacy is not suspended in midair awaiting acknowledgement....

There is certainly no other state, big or small, young or old, that would consider mere recognition of its 'right to exist' a favor, or a negotiable concession.” - former Israeli Foreign Affairs Minister Abba Eben

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Jewcrew wrote:I'm leaving this for someone else to deal with if they want, because I give up. Your argument makes no sense, it's just a bunch of circular logic, straw man and appeal to authority. I don't care enough to keep this up.

So you're basically admitting you're wrong. Mmkay.
"The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders. raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."—former Nixon domestic policy chief John Ehrlichman

Hitchensville
Civil Servant

Founded: Feb 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hitchensville » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:03 pm

No there is not. Only in mythology and folklore.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:05 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Jewcrew wrote:I'm leaving this for someone else to deal with if they want, because I give up. Your argument makes no sense, it's just a bunch of circular logic, straw man and appeal to authority. I don't care enough to keep this up.

I'm pretty sure bowing out /= admitting being wrong.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:06 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

I'm pretty sure bowing out /= admitting being wrong.

Does no one know what a joke is anymore?

Transhuman Proteus
Senator

Founded: Mar 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Transhuman Proteus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:07 pm

Jewcrew wrote:
Transhuman Proteus wrote:
Your point? Oh, you weren't asking why I was concerned considering the speed of human progress?

Are you suggesting such a being exists? Perhaps you should bring some evidence to the table, because it's junk really. No evidence evolution is driven by anything, or the universe is set up to achieve any result.

What you seem to be describing isn't most worshiped divinities, it's Rube Goldberg.

Plus, you seem to have missed the point again - speaking of a particular theistic mindset, that evidently does think they know how such a being operated except when they saying "God works in mysterious ways" when they get asked uncomfortable questions. They are human centric, creation was for us and us alone, and believe god is planning on calling an end to the experiment any day (month, year) now. The fact we are stupendously tiny and irrelevant to the operation of the universe? That God is entirely unnecessary for any of it's operation? The the sun will deal with our planet itself, unless we deal with it, which isn't impossible etc? So yes, by their claim of understanding of God's "plan" he is a shockingly wasteful builder.

My point - which was quite clear - was that if there is a being that much more powerful than us in charge of the universe, you wouldn't be able to fathom how or why it thinks that way.

Let's use a thought experiment that an astrophysicist once used.

We are approximately 1% different genetically than an ape. That 1% difference is the difference between a few thousand words in sign language and the understanding of astrophysics. Great, an ape can do the same thing a human toddler can. Isn't that cute?

Now imagine an alien species that is 1% different from us the way we are 1% different from an ape. "Oh look here, it's the smartest human, Stephen Hawking. He can do astrophysics. So can our toddlers. Isn't that cute?"

Extrapolate this into a 'being' that can create and plan an entire universe with a thought.

You would not be able to comprehend how this being thinks anymore than an ape can comprehend how you think.

That's my point.

I'm familiar with it - Neil deGrasse Tyson is a great man. One who doesn't believe in God. What he was talking about doesn't really apply...

It doesn't automatically lend itself to "what would be the intelligence of a being that creates entire universes be like to us" - because that is outside the realms of reality or plausibility (unless you have some proof to the alternative). Alien beings with superior intellect, who have an easier time understanding the universe is in the realms of reality and plausibility. We have examples, grounded in reality, in what is physically possible, demonstrating the idea Tyson was communicating.

You don't have, it is all based on salvaging the chance of a divine being any way possible. I'm not sure why you go to the effort.

Plus, the whole question of "why would something so alien want to, or be able to communicate - when was the last time you talked to a worm" - you'll note most religions are built on the concept God(s) can talk to us just find, and order us around, and people are supposedly smart enough to be able to participate in this relationship (otherwise God is a creepy molester type). Which of course is where my musing comes in (funny how even the most unknowable of divine beings, like God, still seems pretty human - just a destructive, temperamental human).

I'd say your point, made by trying to adapt Tyson's point, is poor.
Last edited by Transhuman Proteus on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:08 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Luna Amore wrote:I'm pretty sure bowing out /= admitting being wrong.

Throw a 'knock knock' on the front next time.

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:08 pm

Luna Amore wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:

Throw a 'knock knock' on the front next time.

I only do that when I'm not joking. Catches them off guard. *nods*

The Daktanese Technocracy
Diplomat

Founded: May 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Daktanese Technocracy » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:09 pm

Hitchensville wrote:No there is not. Only in mythology and folklore.

I would love to have your proof of that!
"I remember the first time I died. Facing down my foe was to be expected. Even inevitable. Resurrected, my soul awoke and my battles were fought harder. Death became my friend. I remember the first time I died. But dying gets easier; it's how you die that leaves your mark. Prepare to die..."

Goddess Diva Hatsune Miku
Civil Servant

Founded: Jun 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Haruhism

Postby Goddess Diva Hatsune Miku » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:10 pm

Haruhi is the only true god. :bow:

Mavorpen
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Mavorpen » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:10 pm

Goddess Diva Hatsune Miku wrote:Haruhi is the only true god. :bow:

Oh no...

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Mavorpen wrote:
Goddess Diva Hatsune Miku wrote:Haruhi is the only true god. :bow:

Oh no...

Indeed. It's Madoka.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Ulvena
Minister

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulvena » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:12 pm

Personally, I don't believe in a God. No religion so far has come up with conclusive evidence or even inconclusive, interesting arguments that can't have alternate theories. But, if there are gods, I do have a few ideas on what it may be.

1. Aliens! I recently finished Assassin's Creed Revelations and spoiler alert, there are aliens. In the Assassin's Creed universe, there are people called the Ones who Came Before. They were a species that lived on Earth and created humanity as a workforce. But after the Toba catastrophe, most technology from that species faded away and the last remaining Ones who Came Before were revered as gods before they went extinct. Juno, Jupiter, Minerva, etc.

It doesn't have to be that farfetched and awesome but it is entirely possible that what we regard as Gods are simply extraterrestrials. Take for instance the resurrection of Jesus. What if aliens simply brought him back like in Mass Effect 2? The 3 days of death? Simply aliens taking three days to bring him back to life. Maybe Jesus was an alien spy. Or he was a scout. Or maybe he was a regular human that the aliens took interest in. Him rising up to Heaven? Aliens using a tractor beam!

I'll stop here. I feel like that History Channel guy.

2. God may be a 9th Dimensional being. String Theory says that there are 9 dimensions of space and one dimension of time instead of three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. Just as a sufficiently advanced species may be able to manipulate dimensions lower than theirs, God may be an ascended being that can manipulate our dimension.

3. God is outside of space and time. Like the second idea but God has more power. If God was an ascended being that resided outside of space and time, he is outside of the laws of physics. Nobody has any idea what that's like.

Transhuman Proteus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Transhuman Proteus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Jewcrew wrote:
Mavorpen wrote:Scientists take the notion of intelligent alien life seriously. From a scientific perspective, there is no reason to believe in a creator. The two are different.

I'm leaving this for someone else to deal with if they want, because I give up. Your argument makes no sense, it's just a bunch of circular logic, straw man and appeal to authority. I don't care enough to keep this up. Others got the point, it's just sad that you didn't.

Oh, did they? You are aware just claiming that doesn't make it so, right? And that people that want to believe doesn't make it right, correct?

And I haven't seen someone throw up chaff like that for a while "it's just a bunch of circular logic, straw man and appeal to authority, I'm out" *disappears into the jungle*

Care to identify what in Mav's rebuttal represents the circular logic, the straw man and the appeal to authority?

Not a pipe
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Not a pipe » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Ulvena wrote:Personally, I don't believe in a God. No religion so far has come up with conclusive evidence or even inconclusive, interesting arguments that can't have alternate theories. But, if there are gods, I do have a few ideas on what it may be.

1. Aliens! I recently finished Assassin's Creed Revelations and spoiler alert, there are aliens. In the Assassin's Creed universe, there are people called the Ones who Came Before. They were a species that lived on Earth and created humanity as a workforce. But after the Toba catastrophe, most technology from that species faded away and the last remaining Ones who Came Before were revered as gods before they went extinct. Juno, Jupiter, Minerva, etc.

It doesn't have to be that farfetched and awesome but it is entirely possible that what we regard as Gods are simply extraterrestrials. Take for instance the resurrection of Jesus. What if aliens simply brought him back like in Mass Effect 2? The 3 days of death? Simply aliens taking three days to bring him back to life. Maybe Jesus was an alien spy. Or he was a scout. Or maybe he was a regular human that the aliens took interest in. Him rising up to Heaven? Aliens using a tractor beam!

I'll stop here. I feel like that History Channel guy.

2. God may be a 9th Dimensional being. String Theory says that there are 9 dimensions of space and one dimension of time instead of three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. Just as a sufficiently advanced species may be able to manipulate dimensions lower than theirs, God may be an ascended being that can manipulate our dimension.

3. God is outside of space and time. Like the second idea but God has more power. If God was an ascended being that resided outside of space and time, he is outside of the laws of physics. Nobody has any idea what that's like.
I pick Option #3. (But like you say, nobody knows for sure. I would think it is also unknowable.)
View signature:
Viva la rivoluzione contro I moderatori fascisti!

I agree to put all of my messages here public domain please use them as public domain no copyright.

Patents should be abolished. Copyrights should be reduced.

The human population is already being too much! Let's make them get reduced over time instead.
D&D:
Name: Iuckqlwviv Kjugobe
Race: Illithid
Class: Wizard/Cerebremancer/Illithid Savant
Align: NG
Skills: scribe, sailor, search, languages, spot, listen, concentration, disable device, forgery, hide, healing, spellcraft, decipher script, ...
Spells: amanuensis, time hop, grease, force screen, modify memory, trace teleport, major creation, true seeing, extend tentacles, locate object, dimension door, object mirroring, prestidigitation, touch of health, ...

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Ulvena wrote:I'll stop here. I feel like that History Channel guy.

What is this I don't even. If I remember correctly, anyone can be in the upper dimensions .

Agreed. And with that, one must take the position of ignosticism.

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Goddess Diva Hatsune Miku » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:19 pm

Miku is also considered a god b/c she brings harmony with her songs. She truly is also a goddess that saves those that have lost there ways. A god is one who's respect most be earn by the people (in this case Miku).

Jewcrew
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jewcrew » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:20 pm

Jewcrew wrote:
My point - which was quite clear - was that if there is a being that much more powerful than us in charge of the universe, you wouldn't be able to fathom how or why it thinks that way.

Let's use a thought experiment that an astrophysicist once used.

We are approximately 1% different genetically than an ape. That 1% difference is the difference between a few thousand words in sign language and the understanding of astrophysics. Great, an ape can do the same thing a human toddler can. Isn't that cute?

Now imagine an alien species that is 1% different from us the way we are 1% different from an ape. "Oh look here, it's the smartest human, Stephen Hawking. He can do astrophysics. So can our toddlers. Isn't that cute?"

Extrapolate this into a 'being' that can create and plan an entire universe with a thought.

You would not be able to comprehend how this being thinks anymore than an ape can comprehend how you think.

That's my point.

I'm familiar with it - Neil deGrasse Tyson is a great man. One who doesn't believe in God. What he was talking about doesn't really apply...

It doesn't automatically lend itself to "what would be the intelligence of a being that creates entire universes be like to us" - because that is outside the realms of reality or plausibility (unless you have some proof to the alternative). Alien beings with superior intellect, who have an easier time understanding the universe is in the realms of reality and plausibility. Your "point" is purely hypothetical based on salvaging the chance of their being a divine being any way possible.

Plus, the whole question of "why would something so alien want to, or be able to communicate - when was the last time you talked to a worm" - you'll note most religions are built on the concept God(s) can talk to us just find, and order us around, and people are supposedly smart enough to be able to participate in this relationship. Which of course is where my musing comes in (funny how even the most unknowable of divine beings, like God, still seems pretty human - just a destructive, temperamental human).

Admittedly it isn't a perfect fit, but it still works.

And the whole issue of 'why would something so alien want to, or be able to communicate' makes yet another assumption about the motivations of such a being as a Creator. Why would such a being create a universe in the first place? All we can do is make assumptions.

Even using the argument with aliens is ill-advised, as an alien may very well be interested in learning about a viewpoint on a philosophical issue from a creature less intelligent out of curiosity if for nothing else.
Zionism is the only path to peace. Masada will never fall again.

“Nobody does Israel any service by proclaiming its 'right to exist.'

Israel's right to exist, like that of the United States, Saudi Arabia and 152 other states, is axiomatic and unreserved. Israel's legitimacy is not suspended in midair awaiting acknowledgement....

There is certainly no other state, big or small, young or old, that would consider mere recognition of its 'right to exist' a favor, or a negotiable concession.” - former Israeli Foreign Affairs Minister Abba Eben

Natty Narwhal
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Natty Narwhal » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:20 pm

I don't know. Maybe. I really don't bother wondering about such things.
All the people I admire can fly -
Why can't I do that?

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:25 pm

Jewcrew wrote:

1. There is a circular logic, but he provided a definition. Definitions are circular, but that doesn't make it fallacious.
2. I haven't followed the thread since c'est un zombie, but which are strawmen?
3. Appeal to authority is not a fallacy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority
"either the Authority is not a subject-matter expert, or there is no consensus among experts in the subject matter, or both"

That's the only case when it's fallacy.

Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Goddess Diva Hatsune Miku » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Would a god really let his worshipers die unjustly at times? If so, then is he truly considered a god to be worshiped? :?:
Last edited by Goddess Diva Hatsune Miku on Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Transhuman Proteus
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Transhuman Proteus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:30 pm

Jewcrew wrote:

It doesn't automatically lend itself to "what would be the intelligence of a being that creates entire universes be like to us" - because that is outside the realms of reality or plausibility (unless you have some proof to the alternative). Alien beings with superior intellect, who have an easier time understanding the universe is in the realms of reality and plausibility. Your "point" is purely hypothetical based on salvaging the chance of their being a divine being any way possible.

Plus, the whole question of "why would something so alien want to, or be able to communicate - when was the last time you talked to a worm" - you'll note most religions are built on the concept God(s) can talk to us just find, and order us around, and people are supposedly smart enough to be able to participate in this relationship. Which of course is where my musing comes in (funny how even the most unknowable of divine beings, like God, still seems pretty human - just a destructive, temperamental human).

Admittedly it isn't a perfect fit, but it still works.

And the whole issue of 'why would something so alien want to, or be able to communicate' makes yet another assumption about the motivations of such a being as a Creator. Why would such a being create a universe in the first place? All we can do is make assumptions.

So, wow. We're back to the start. I question a theistic position held by some that doesn't make sense when looking at the universe as a whole.

You don't actually comment on the position itself, but say a God could still exist even though nothing in the universe suggests it does, or needs to, or should, just because by being so smart and alien it could have designed the universe in a way that doesn't look like it did, or needed to, or should have.

Yet...

Even using the argument with aliens is ill-advised, as an alien may very well be interested in learning about a viewpoint on a philosophical issue from a creature less intelligent out of curiosity if for nothing else.

Designed the universe in a way that doesn't show it was designed or needed a God, but then is interested in us and communicates with us (until technology advances to a point where we could record it as evidence, then it stops)...

So are you saying all modern religions are wrong?
Last edited by Transhuman Proteus on Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General