NATION

PASSWORD

What has Obama done for you?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:59 am

Coffee Cakes wrote:How else should they react in that situation?

Not jumping the gun and raising prices on one of their biggest customers, and instead enter into dialogue to reduce regulation to a point that is safe for the United States but still produces a profit for the oil companies?

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:59 am

Katganistan wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Does Obama really have control over the prices at the pump?

No -- but the Republicans will harp on it as if he controls the oil companies foreeeeeeeverrrrrr!

Uh, Kat... I'm libertarian... >.>
Transnapastain wrote:CC!

Posting mod mistakes now are we?

Well, sir, you can have a Vindictive warning for making us look incompetent
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're Invisi Gay. Super hero of the Rainbow Equality Brigade!
Nana wrote:Being CC's bf is a death worse than fate.
Nana wrote:Finally, another reasonable individual.
Nana wrote: You're Ben. And Ben is many things wrapped into one being. :)
NSG Sodomy Club Member.
RIP WHYLT 11/14/2010-8/15/2011
Geniasis wrote:I've seen people lose credibility. It's been a while since I've seen it cast aside so gleefully.
Quotes Singing Contest of DOOM Champ. Softball
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's
Satan's Apprentice Colleague
Lian's precious snowflake
Callie's Adorbs/Loyal Knight Prince's TET Husband

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:59 am

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Really? How'd he do that? I wasn't aware that the President controlled the oil companies.

Uh, putting a near stop to offshore drilling and opposing Keystone isn't gonna help lower gas prices or foster independence from oil for our enemies will it? Exactly.

Offshore drilling and Keystone won't do either of those things either. Between oil speculators, China and India's massive demand, and our own overuse, gas prices are never going back down. By the time new wells and the pipeline come online, any benefit they might have had will be obliterated by ever-increasing prices.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:59 am

Without him, this wouldn't happen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISWIPY9h0Go
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:00 am

Odins Scandinavia wrote:
Hittanryan wrote:

Pictured: regulated to hell.

>Stop offshore drilling
>DURR NOT OBAMAS FAULT

>George bush invades iraq
>NO MOAR BLOOD FOR OIL

liberals gonna lib.

He stopped offshore drilling in the wake of an environmental disaster. That is not his fault.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:00 am

Ceannairceach wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:How else should they react in that situation?

Not jumping the gun and raising prices on one of their biggest customers, and instead enter into dialogue to reduce regulation to a point that is safe for the United States but still produces a profit for the oil companies?

That's overthinking it, and while I do support that idea, is that really gonna be in anyone's thought process?

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're Invisi Gay. Super hero of the Rainbow Equality Brigade!
NSG Sodomy Club Member.
Geniasis wrote:I've seen people lose credibility. It's been a while since I've seen it cast aside so gleefully.
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's

Jocabia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:00 am

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Really? How'd he do that? I wasn't aware that the President controlled the oil companies.

Uh, putting a near stop to offshore drilling and opposing Keystone isn't gonna help lower gas prices or foster independence from oil for our enemies will it? Exactly.

Ah, as someone who actually works for oil companies most of the time, I find this one most amusing.

If, say, BP, one of the larger corporations that takes oil from our ground, were to be allowed to indiscriminately drill out all the oil that is available in the US what would the effect be and why? Assume all drilling is allowed. Again, what would the effect be?

Now, I'll give you a couple of notes so you don't look ignorant. Once oil is extracted from US soil, it does not belong to the US. At all. Not one drop of it. So once it leaves our soil, BP, a foreign company, has no obligation whatsoever to sell it first in the US market or to sell it for less than Saudi oil goes for.

So the only effect that oil from the US can have on gas prices is if it increases the global supply enough to lower gas prices worldwide.

Now, using the fact, please explain to me how much oil you think Obama is preventing from being drilled that it would lower gas prices in the US? I'll note that oil drilling increased significantly under Bush and so did gas prices.

As for the pipeline, again, be specific, in what way will it increase the availability of oil and gas in the US? Remember that part of the reason that pipeline is going where its going is so it can reach a port and they can easily ship oil to wherever and whoever.
Sgt Toomey wrote:Come to think of it, it would make more sense to hate him for being black. At least its half true..
JJ Place wrote:Sure, the statistics are that a gun is more likely to harm a family member than a criminal

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:00 am

Odins Scandinavia wrote:
Lancaster of Wessex wrote:As a Canadian, I feel he has brought back to the US a sense of respect. The President has a good head on his shoulders, especially in the realm of foreign policy. He has restored the US's standing in the international sphere, and instead of sabre rattling, and continuing the entire "them versus us" mentality of the Republicans and Geo. W. Bush, he understands the value of diplomacy and of working together with others to build a consensus.

Well done, Mr. President, I wish you all the luck in the world on your re-election bid.

Canadians dont realize that tripling the national debt is a bad thing, and that Obama is George W Bush, Term three.

Source for his TRIPLING of the US national debt?
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:01 am

The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:02 am

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Not jumping the gun and raising prices on one of their biggest customers, and instead enter into dialogue to reduce regulation to a point that is safe for the United States but still produces a profit for the oil companies?

That's overthinking it, and while I do support that idea, is that really gonna be in anyone's thought process?

So you're blaming Obama for the idiocy of the oil companies and their refusal to negotiate? You don't see how that's unfair?

@}-;-'---

Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator

Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:02 am

Coffee Cakes wrote:

Domestic production is up to the highest level in 8 years. Doesn't seem like he's really killed the industry

Odins Scandinavia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Odins Scandinavia » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:02 am

Katganistan wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Does Obama really have control over the prices at the pump?

No -- but the Republicans will harp on it as if he controls the oil companies foreeeeeeeverrrrrr!

nah, no way stopping offshore drilling would have any effect on prices at the pump. but no more blood for oil, amirite?

Liberals gonna lib
In the darkness a sound of a horn can be heard in the distance.
Then silence....thundering sound approaches. It begins to rumble the earth and the sky as it draws near. Soon the air above you becomes heavy from the large blasts of wind. The stale air of death consumes you mouth. Then a hand graps your arm and a sudden yank. Your eyes adjust to burst of light. The angelic voice says " ODIN chooses you to live again in Valhalla and to become one of his army ..... EINHERJAR

Modern Medicine is stopping stupid people from culling themselves from the Gene pool [/sad]

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:02 am

Jocabia wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:

Ah, as someone who actually works for oil companies most of the time, I find this one most amusing.

If, say, BP, one of the larger corporations that takes oil from our ground, were to be allowed to indiscriminately drill out all the oil that is available in the US what would the effect be and why? Assume all drilling is allowed. Again, what would the effect be?

Now, I'll give you a couple of notes so you don't look ignorant. Once oil is extracted from US soil, it does not belong to the US. At all. Not one drop of it. So once it leaves our soil, BP, a foreign company, has no obligation whatsoever to sell it first in the US market or to sell it for less than Saudi oil goes for.

So the only effect that oil from the US can have on gas prices is if it increases the global supply enough to lower gas prices worldwide.

Now, using the fact, please explain to me how much oil you think Obama is preventing from being drilled that it would lower gas prices in the US? I'll note that oil drilling increased significantly under Bush and so did gas prices.

As for the pipeline, again, be specific, in what way will it increase the availability of oil and gas in the US? Remember that part of the reason that pipeline is going where its going is so it can reach a port and they can easily ship oil to wherever and whoever.

Is it true that the vast majority of the oil in Alaska is sold overseas?

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:03 am

Lancaster of Wessex wrote:
Odins Scandinavia wrote:
Canadians dont realize that tripling the national debt is a bad thing, and that Obama is George W Bush, Term three.

Tripling is being quite generous.
Obama has racked up more debt than every other POTUS combined.

While some of his goals are quite noble actually, (ObamaCare, being the most obvious) we don't have the funds to support any of it.

NSG Sodomy Club Member.
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:03 am

Odins Scandinavia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:No -- but the Republicans will harp on it as if he controls the oil companies foreeeeeeeverrrrrr!

nah, no way stopping offshore drilling would have any effect on prices at the pump. but no more blood for oil, amirite?

Liberals gonna lib

Because fuck the environment, and screw the Gulf, amirite?

Conservatives gonna con me out of a decent life.

@}-;-'---

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:04 am

Coffee Cakes wrote:

While some of his goals are quite noble actually, (ObamaCare, being the most obvious) we don't have the funds to support any of it.

I believed he asked for a source, not more bitching.

@}-;-'---

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:04 am

Ceannairceach wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:

So you're blaming Obama for the idiocy of the oil companies and their refusal to negotiate? You don't see how that's unfair?

I'm blaming Obama on the fact that he's either oblivious to how they react, or willfully knowing and ignoring of it.

NSG Sodomy Club Member.
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:05 am

Odins Scandinavia wrote:
Katganistan wrote:No -- but the Republicans will harp on it as if he controls the oil companies foreeeeeeeverrrrrr!

Liberals gonna lib

Actually, it probably wouldn't. How long do you think it'll take to get new wells online, exactly? Read Jocabia's post, as well.

Ancaps gonna ignore reality. Am I doing it right?

Katganistan
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Katganistan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:05 am

Odins Scandinavia wrote:

Liberals gonna lib

No way oil pouring into the water destroyed the tourist industry or the fishing industry because the regulated to hell company couldn't be bothered to get off its ass and plug the damned thing for three months. And no way that was a waste of your precious oil, amirite?

Going to troll some more?
Last edited by Katganistan on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jocabia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:05 am

Odins Scandinavia wrote:

Liberals gonna lib

Again, oil production in the US is the highest it has been in 8 years. Since Obama has been in office oil production has increased by 10%. What you're claiming simply isn't true. There is no evidence that increasing domestic production lowers local prices. None. Oil does not work like that.

Quick question, BP, a company that has been responsible for a number of oil disasters that cost the US economy billions of dollars, is from what country? Hint: it ain't the US. Why would foreign companies give special treatment to the US when they are not required to?
Last edited by Jocabia on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sgt Toomey wrote:Come to think of it, it would make more sense to hate him for being black. At least its half true..
JJ Place wrote:Sure, the statistics are that a gun is more likely to harm a family member than a criminal

Laerod
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 17, 2004
Iron Fist Socialists

Postby Laerod » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:05 am

Jocabia wrote:So how about you?

Got me featured in an HBO movie.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:05 am

He didn't go around invading countries, and then claim that his imaginary friend told him to. :p

Apart from that he doesn't really affect me as he lives on the other side of the world.

He is great orator though, and as far as Presidents go he's easier on the eyes than other ones.
Last edited by Radiatia on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:05 am

Coffee Cakes wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:So you're blaming Obama for the idiocy of the oil companies and their refusal to negotiate? You don't see how that's unfair?

I'm blaming Obama on the fact that he's either oblivious to how they react, or willfully knowing and ignoring of it.

So, you are, then. Obama is making decisions that he feels are benefits to the nation; If the oil companies don't like it, it is their responsibility to enter into negotiations to meet a compromise, not attempt to damage the nation further.

You can't expect the President to do everything. The opposition has to take responsibility for their mistakes.

@}-;-'---

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:06 am

Coffee Cakes wrote:

You need some figures. Now.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:06 am

Coffee Cakes wrote:

Odd, because the US dependence on foreign oil has continued dropping under President Obama. Linky And this administration has continued policies that are quite friendly to the oil industry, which is why environmentalists grind their teeth all the time.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General