NATION

PASSWORD

Name wanted

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cabra West
Senator

Founded: Jan 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:26 am

RoI3 wrote:Let us know what you call it. :)

I will. First step is still to get it, though :)
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Founded: Jun 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:35 am

Cabralcatraz

• Vote for The NationStates Razzies 2009
• Any similarities with reality is a mere coincidence
• No mods were harmed during the making of this posting
• Protégez les enfants: ne leur faites pas respirer votre commentaires`
• Quand tous les dégoûtés seront partis, il ne restera plus que les dégoûtants
• Please report me at the Moderation Section because I'm spoiling your day

NotRust
Envoy

Founded: Sep 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby NotRust » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:38 am

Otherland or Otherworld.

Landista
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Landista » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:38 am

The Corkboard?

Cork Oak Cottage?

The Bottle Stopper (as in Cork)?

Uncorking?

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:51 am

Amityville?

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:52 am

Wilgrove wrote:Amityville?

Hehe... well, Sleepy Hollow is currently being considered.
"I was walking along the bank of a stream when I saw a mother otter with her cubs. A very endearing sight, and as I watched, the mother otter dived into the water and came up with a plump salmon, which she subdued and dragged on to a half-submerged log. As she ate it, while of course it was still alive, the body split and I remember to this day the sweet pinkness of its roes as they spilled out, much to the delight of the baby otters who scrambled over themselves to feed on the delicacy. One of nature’s wonders: mother and children dining upon mother and children. And that’s when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior."

Lord Vetinari

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:53 am

Cabra West wrote:

That works too. :D

Did the Addams Family house have a name?

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:54 am

Wilgrove wrote:
Cabra West wrote:

Not that I know off.... that would be cool, though!

Lord Vetinari

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:01 am

Cabra West wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:
Cabra West wrote:

Not that I know off.... that would be cool, though!

Dammit...now I want to live in the Addams Family house....it's so much cooler than the Munster house.

West Failure
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby West Failure » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:09 am

Slieve Cabra
Yootwopia wrote:
Folder Land wrote:But why do religious conservatives have more power in the States but not so much power in the UK that still has a state church?

Because our country is better than yours.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:10 am

Look, if you are intent on doing this. (Renaming a house is very bad luck, I should know my Granny told me). And if you have to buy a house in Ireland right now (though you may well be valuing it in dollars soon), then you should go for a traditional irish namey type thing.

As such I suggest Micheal Flatley.

But if that doesn't appeal, you could always try Tir na nOg. (I can't do the little accent thingy 'cos I'm dumb). Rumor has it, it means land of eternal youth or someshit.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:14 am

Though Alba gu Brath has considerable comedic potential now that I think of it.
The kind of middle-class mentality which actuates both those responsible for strategy and government has little knowledge of the new psychology and organizing ability of the totalitarian States. The forces we are fighting are governed neither by the old strategy nor follow the old tactics.

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:19 am

West Failure wrote:Slieve Cabra

Nice idea, but it's not just me going to live there. And considering that I picked my nick from where I was living in Dublin at the time, and my husband can't stand Dublin, I'm afraid chances for that name are slim.

Lord Vetinari

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:20 am

Lacadaemon wrote:Look, if you are intent on doing this. (Renaming a house is very bad luck, I should know my Granny told me). And if you have to buy a house in Ireland right now (though you may well be valuing it in dollars soon), then you should go for a traditional irish namey type thing.

As such I suggest Micheal Flatley.

But if that doesn't appeal, you could always try Tir na nOg. (I can't do the little accent thingy 'cos I'm dumb). Rumor has it, it means land of eternal youth or someshit.

What's wrong with buying a house in Ireland when prices are so low at the moment? Sure they might still go a bit lower, but then we intend to buy it to stay in, not as an investment.

We thought about a Gaelic name, but we both agreed it's a bit phoney as neither him nor me actually speak Gaelic (him being English and me German originally).

Lord Vetinari

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:36 am

Cabra West wrote:What's wrong with buying a house in Ireland when prices are so low at the moment? Sure they might still go a bit lower, but then we intend to buy it to stay in, not as an investment.

As long as you can financially round trip it (assuming fees and a much bigger fall in prices) then there isn't a problem. But the chances are that Irish property has a lot further to fall value wise. I would say if you are 20% down and 36 dti it's okay. But don't let your dream become a millstone. That is all I am saying. I literally cringe at all the people I have known over the past couple of years trying to catch knives. It's so bad I worry about people on the internet. But of course you know your situation better than me, so just write me off as a grumpy old bastard if necessary.

We thought about a Gaelic name, but we both agreed it's a bit phoney as neither him nor me actually speak Gaelic (him being English and me German originally).

You should think again though. My brother, who lives in the Highlands, has learnt Gàidhlig - or at least enough so he can annoy tourists. And he's English. Got to keep the traditions alive. Maybe you can go talk to a Gaelic speaker and get a name or someshit. I don't think it would really be phony given where the house is.

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:50 am

Lacadaemon wrote:As long as you can financially round trip it (assuming fees and a much bigger fall in prices) then there isn't a problem. But the chances are that Irish property has a lot further to fall value wise. I would say if you are 20% down and 36 dti it's okay. But don't let your dream become a millstone. That is all I am saying. I literally cringe at all the people I have known over the past couple of years trying to catch knives. It's so bad I worry about people on the internet. But of course you know your situation better than me, so just write me off as a grumpy old bastard if necessary.

Grumpy old bastard it is, then. ;)
Seriously, don't worry about us, we've done the maths, we know what we can afford. And if we get the place for what we offered, we can afford it quite easily, including fees and assuming a further fall in prices, and even assuming a rise in interest rates.

You should think again though. My brother, who lives in the Highlands, has learnt Gàidhlig - or at least enough so he can annoy tourists. And he's English. Got to keep the traditions alive. Maybe you can go talk to a Gaelic speaker and get a name or someshit. I don't think it would really be phony given where the house is.

There's no shortage of people keeping the tradition alive around here, most house names you come across round here would be Gaelic. I think I'd prefer to stick to an English or German name, it would have more of a connection with us.

Lord Vetinari

South Lorenya
Senator

Founded: Feb 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby South Lorenya » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:07 am

Since you both hate the idea of a saint's name, call it Judas Manor! :p

Seriously, though, you can name it after something that has an Irish background yet is widely known; although Caladbolg (for instance) isn't quite as well-known as the Excalibur, I imagine a large number of NSGers recognize the name despite not living in Ireland.

EDIT: While typing that, I did not see your firm veto of Irish names; then why not call the house Hanover? It was a kingdom in what's now northwestern Germany ruled by the king for Great Britain, so that'll satisfy both sides.
Last edited by South Lorenya on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- King DragonAtma of the Dragon Kingdom of South Lorenya.

Nagas on a plane! ^_^

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:11 am

Cabra West wrote:There's no shortage of people keeping the tradition alive around here, most house names you come across round here would be Gaelic. I think I'd prefer to stick to an English or German name, it would have more of a connection with us.

The only german thing I know is Bismark. And that's not a very good name. If you want something English maybe you should go for Alan Shearer. Or Rose Cottage. Either one.

OOOOH, I know. Spirit of the Tyne. (That's good because it is both English and pre-brythonic). So it's spirit of the River.

Of course I could be totally wrong about that. So don't quote me. And really the intertubes is probably not the best place to get a house name from.

Rhodmhire
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodmhire » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:16 am

You'll have to ask me again in a few hours, my humor meter (or what's left of it) is usually 34.59% lower in the morning.
Part of me grew up here. But part of growing up is leaving parts of ourselves behind.

Cabra West
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Cabra West » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:17 am

Lacadaemon wrote:The only german thing I know is Bismark. And that's not a very good name. If you want something English maybe you should go for Alan Shearer. Or Rose Cottage. Either one.

OOOOH, I know. Spirit of the Tyne. (That's good because it is both English and pre-brythonic). So it's spirit of the River.

Of course I could be totally wrong about that. So don't quote me. And really the intertubes is probably not the best place to get a house name from.

Hmm... spirit might be a good part of the name. Not too keen on Spirit of the Tyne, though, but spirit I like,
I'm just looking for ideas at the moment, not for the full name. I'm just making a list of ideas and names I like the sound of. We'll have plenty of time to decide what to call it. and we should make that decision together, after all. :)
My husband had been thinking of picking a Latin name, but I can't for the life of me think of anything that would sound nice.

Lord Vetinari

Qurumaleha
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Qurumaleha » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:29 am

Name it Iraq jut to mess with people ;)

Other ideas: Bruchbude, TEOTWAWKI-shelter, Sanja'xen isin (let's live happily in rejistanian), Tora-Bora ;) Or name it after Saint IGNUcius ;)

Lacadaemon
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lacadaemon » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:40 am

Cabra West wrote:My husband had been thinking of picking a Latin name, but I can't for the life of me think of anything that would sound nice.

Nah, Latin is 20x more phony than anything else. You could call your house SEMPER IN MEO CORDE (forever in my heart). But it would look all shit. And I would check that translation before using it.

Go with the english or the gaelic. Or even german. Or even french. Never latin. It's poncy.

Londim
Minister

Founded: May 23, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Londim » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:46 am

I know there is literary dislike between you and your hubby but call your house Mordor! Then when you get sales people knocking on the door, you can always say "One does not simply walk in to Mordor!"
YES. I have returned.
Now a writer over at The Sixth Axis.

Cybach
Minister

Founded: Nov 10, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cybach » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:52 am

Well if you're going for irony. I assume it's in Ireland the house?

You could always call it "Heimat." Calling your house in Ireland "Heimat," has a nice deep touch to it showing your love for the place in a nice way.

Or if you prefer English names. I suppose "Wuthering Heights" or "Ferrari" might get a smile out of some people.

Grays Harbor
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Grays Harbor » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:06 am

The End
Everything you know about me is wrong. Or a rumor. Something like that.

Not Ta'veren

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General