NATION

PASSWORD

Anglicanism vs Roman Catholicism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Psuedopolis
Envoy

Founded: Jan 26, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Psuedopolis » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:02 am

Georgizm wrote:
Psuedopolis wrote:Anglican. It is slightly saner.

-A man is driving along in Ireland, when he is stopped by a gunman.
The Gunman asks "Are ye a Catholic or a Protestant?".
The man answers "Neither, I am an Atheist Jew."
The Gunman Asks "Are ye a Catholic Atheist Jew or a Protestant Atheist Jew?"-

Which was he? You should really finish your stories you know.

I don't know, it was in Ireland so they are probably still going.
Grammar Capitalist.

The greatest argument against Democracy is a five minute discussion with the average voter. - Sir Winston Churchill.
Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those other forms that have been tried from time to time. -Sir Winston Churchill.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:08 am

I'll willingly baptize myself into the faith that drops any bigoted stance against homosexuals, declares that the holy books are interpretative rather than literal, and instead of trying to spread their particular dogma like a disease across the land dedicate the full measure of their resources to actually doing what those holy books said, the whole thing about feeding the hungry, healing the sick, that sort of thing...
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Johz
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Johz » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:09 am

Georgizm wrote:
Psuedopolis wrote:Anglican. It is slightly saner.

-A man is driving along in Ireland, when he is stopped by a gunman.
The Gunman asks "Are ye a Catholic or a Protestant?".
The man answers "Neither, I am an Atheist Jew."
The Gunman Asks "Are ye a Catholic Atheist Jew or a Protestant Atheist Jew?"-

Which was he? You should really finish your stories you know.

Well it turned out the gunman was actually an actor with the Challenge Theatre Company, which basically does a whole load of work challenging stereotypes and the like. Anyway, the man decided to just drive on, but the gunman was so fed up of people ignoring his under-valued profession that he shot the bloke anyway. It was all over the news a while back. They say it was one of the reasons that arts funding got slashed so much.
Always Ready (With a Cuppa): UDL
Praise [violet] for safe switching!

The Village of Johz - (Factbook)
Head of Foreign Affairs:
Mr Newman
Head of the Flower Rota: Mrs Figgis
Population: 269 (Johzians)
Sometime between when the "evolution is just a theory" nonesense dies out, and when Ashmoria starts using captitalization. - EnragedMaldivians
It's called a tangent. It tends to happen on NSG. - Olthar
[E]very Brit I've met on the internet has been violently apathetic. - Conserative Morality
This is Johz. I'd like to give him a hug someday. - Celly
See a mistake? Send me a telegram!|I would be very much indebted to you.
LINKS: My Website|Barryman|Gay Marriage: Who will be next?

#NSG on esper.net - Join us!
Also, bonobos zygons.

Rahline DHara
Civilian

Founded: Apr 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rahline DHara » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:40 pm

Probably an Anglican Church that's a member of a Continuing Anglican Movement branch (while maintaning my own slightly more radically reformed beliefs)

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:00 pm

Acadzia wrote:
New England and The Maritimes wrote:Anglican. Removing Catholic influence on the state was the best thing that ever happened to society.

Lol so you prefer the Church that has a King or a Queen as the head? Caesaropapism, look it up.

Yes. A king or a queen doesn't claim religious authority, he instead dominates the religion. That's always better than religion dominating the state. I'd prefer religion to be dismantled as an authoritative institution, but as Europe showed, secularization of society can only happen once temporal authority takes what it owns by force from any religious institutions which deny it.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:18 am

Roman Catholicism. Although Anglicanism is pretty baws though.

Eastern Orthodox replier, reporting.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Mr Bananagrabber
Minister

Founded: Feb 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mr Bananagrabber » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:28 am

Obviously not death. Seriously, who hates religion that much that they'd rather not be alive? Being alive is literally the best thing in the world.

Not Anglicanism. As bullshit as I think religion in general is, it really just ruins any perception of legitimacy when you say "Well we know we're totally not supposed to get divorced, but we really really want to, so... you know, I guess we're just gonna make that okay". How can anybody take you seriously when you're just obviously making it up as you go along?

I guess that leaves Catholicism.
"I guess it would just be a guy who, you know, grabs bananas and runs. Or a banana that grabs things. I don't know. Why would a banana grab another banana? I mean those are the kind of questions I don't want to answer."

Spiral Sun
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Spiral Sun » Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:43 am

Distruzio wrote:Roman Catholicism. Although Anglicanism is pretty baws though.

Which sort? The type from the Byzantine, Russian, and Soviet empires with the dictator in charge or the sort that came about when they were exiled?
You're so nice.
You're not good,
You're not bad,
You're just nice.
I'm not good,
I'm not nice,
I'm just right.
The Witch, Into the Woods

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:04 am

Spiral Sun wrote:
Distruzio wrote:Roman Catholicism. Although Anglicanism is pretty baws though.

Which sort? The type from the Byzantine, Russian, and Soviet empires with the dictator in charge or the sort that came about when they were exiled?

Greek.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Cerod
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Cerod » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:14 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Bordurian wrote:Catholosism is the way to go. We have a Pope and not a Queen as the religious head.

Catholicism.

And why is an old German virgin better than an Englishwoman who at least had some kind of sex life?

*imagines the Queen's sex life* *pukes*

This is a touchy subject in Ireland.
[Founder of Green Isles]

Name:The Hibernian Empire of Cerod
Leader: Michael Martin
National Ideology: Democratic left
Main Race: Aryan
Delegacies held: 5
Founderships held: 9
Use of Nuclear Weapons? Assured.
My nation's ideology, is my ideology
Peacetime readiness
LOLOLOLIn response to what he does at Christmas
Desperate Measures wrote:Decapitating squirrels and screaming at traffic, respectively.
Unsuccessful Raids: Sierra.Luna.Terradem

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:15 am

Roman Catholic.

Ugh, I like the Roman Catholic church, for reasons other than its theology.
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Northern Dominus
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 23, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Dominus » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:19 am

Volnotova wrote:Roman Catholic.

Oh this should be fun, do tell then, why do you like them? Are you a fan of the bigotry towards select human beings? The denouncement of any sort of thought that is even slightly contrary to a literal interpretation of a particular book? The sexual repression and subversion of pedophilia? Or is it the funny hats?
Battletech RP: Giant walking war machines, space to surface fighters, and other implements blowing things up= lots of fun! Sign up here
We even have a soundtrack!

RIP Caroll Shelby 1923-2012
Aurora, Oak Creek, Happy Valley, Sandy Hook. Just how high a price are we willing to pay?

Spiral Sun
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Spiral Sun » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:22 am

Northern Dominus wrote:

Oh this should be fun, do tell then, why do you like them? Are you a fan of the bigotry towards select human beings? The denouncement of any sort of thought that is even slightly contrary to a literal interpretation of a particular book? The sexual repression and subversion of pedophilia? Or is it the funny hats?

Get over yourself. Just because Christianity is no longer popular with Europeans doesn't mean that you can claim a billion people are bigots for holding on to their beliefs or hypocrites becuase of a few closet gays in the hierarchy.
You're so nice.
You're not good,
You're not bad,
You're just nice.
I'm not good,
I'm not nice,
I'm just right.
The Witch, Into the Woods

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:25 am

Northern Dominus wrote:

As I said, for reasons other than its theology.

Thus yes, the funny hats. :p
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Inter de Milano
Envoy

Founded: Feb 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Inter de Milano » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:35 am

Northern Dominus wrote:I'll willingly baptize myself into the faith that drops any bigoted stance against homosexuals, declares that the holy books are interpretative rather than literal, and instead of trying to spread their particular dogma like a disease across the land dedicate the full measure of their resources to actually doing what those holy books said, the whole thing about feeding the hungry, healing the sick, that sort of thing...

There are many biblical passages condemning homosexuality. Whats to interpret from that? And I can tell you, as a missionary, spreading this "disease" (which is the inspiration of over a billion people) and helping the community go hand in hand
"Cultural" Roman Catholic and Mexican
Center-Left Moderate
Economic- Left/Right:-1.50
Social- Authoritarian/Libertarian: -0.56
Pew Research Political Typology: Post-Modern
I Side With

Osthia
Negotiator

Founded: May 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Osthia » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:39 am

Roman Catholic born and raised xD

Ragnarsdomr
Minister

Founded: Sep 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ragnarsdomr » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:01 am

Northern Dominus wrote:

Perhaps it's the rich history, the emphasis on learning that the Jesuits have had and do still hold, and the vast expanses of the Vatican Apostolic Library have something to do with the respect some may still hold for the Catholic Church? Probably not Volnotova, but it is hard to argue that they haven't been, overall, a great repository of knowledge within Europe. Whether or not that knowledge is what the hard sciences would prefer is arguable, and it is certainly true that a number of Popes have been concerned with politics before other pursuits, but there is a great deal of knowledge involved with the Catholic Church.
Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.82

Conservative Morality wrote:By accepting yourself and who you are. Accept violence. Accept aggression. Accept dominance. Not as a man, but as a human. Accept conflict, and find a place for it in life. Neither deny nor revel in it. Revel in one thing and one thing only: humanity. What higher goal is there, after all? Embrace who you are, what you are, and what you can be. Throw off the shackles of shame, refuse self-loathing, refuse misandry, refuse misogyny, refuse misanthropy, instead, love what you are. Love mankind, love man and woman, and love yourself.

Jerusalem and Damascus
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jerusalem and Damascus » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:04 am

Northern Dominus wrote:

Literal interpretation? Did you even read what you were typing?

The Catholic Church goes pretty damned far from Biblical Literalism.
Roman Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist ala the Duma, Political Pluralist, Laissez-Faire Capitalist, Civil Libertarian (Don't have a link for this one -- just let people do as they do, so to speak)
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00

NUMBER ONE ON KARINZISTAN'S NATION STATES LIST. HELLS YEAH.
Official recipient of Cu Math's "Let's Be Civil" Potato
How physicists I've met seem to function.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:34 am

I suppose Anglicanism, since I was Episcopalian for the majority of my religious life.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Olivaero
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Olivaero » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:52 am

C of E so... Anglican? :lol: Thought there'd be many more Anglicans to be honest on the more left leaning NSG but it appears my assumption was false. Personally I love the more non denominational attitude of my church and it's more accepting attitude of Women, Homosexuals, Divorce and abortion (in cases of rape and where it is incremental to the persons health) Sometimes I think it should go further in its attitude towards Abortion Ie. personal choice reigning supreme but i can also understand their attitude that life is important even while in the womb. Also I'm Glad that as a country where even though our monarch is head of our religion religion has nearly no effect on our politics.
British, Anglo Celtic, English, Northerner.

Transhumanist, Left Hegelian, Marxist, Communist.

Agnostic Theist, Culturally Christian.

Bordurian
Minister

Founded: Mar 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Bordurian » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:21 pm

Face it, Roman Catholisism and Anglicanisim are similar. The only people we should feel sorry for are the artists. After all, as long as we believe in the same God right?
Signed: Stefan III of Bordurian Grand Duke of Małapolska Duke of Bratislava Lord of Bohemia Baron of Zakopane, order of the Bear and of the Holy cross, His Holy Catholic Majesty Stefan III
Left -2.69
Authoritarian 3.45
[/floatleft]
Winners of the Free South Califas Roller Hockey Tournament
Participant in the 61st cup of Harmony,the 48th Baptisim of
Fire, the 19th Rugby Union world cup and World Cup 62
History, Geography, Reading, European
holidays, running, soccer, golf and Badminton

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:16 pm

Roman Catholicism since Anglicanism was created during a temper tantrum.

Drakeland
Secretary

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Drakeland » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:17 pm

I'm Roman Catholic, I would stay Roman Catholic. It makes sense to me, and I'm not part of a huge group of people who are "different from each-other" but are actually almost identical in beliefs and practices. Also, Angelicanism was just created because King Henry VIII was angry that the Catholic Church didn't want him to divorce and that he had to stop killing his wives.
I'm Roman Catholic, don you have a problem with that?
Ravineworld wrote:No belief is a mental illness in my eyes and respect for other's beliefs is just like respect for people of different races. It's just tolerant and kind.
Everyone: I'm a Christian, and I'm not with this guy

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:23 pm

Drakeland wrote:I'm Roman Catholic, I would stay Roman Catholic. It makes sense to me, and I'm not part of a huge group of people who are "different from each-other" but are actually almost identical in beliefs and practices. Also, Angelicanism was just created because King Henry VIII was angry that the Catholic Church didn't want him to divorce and that he had to stop killing his wives.

The bold is questionable at best - there is a great deal of division in the RC Church, with some wanting to abolish priestly abstinence, be more liberal in their approach to birth control, and so on and so forth.

Anglicanism may have ultimately been born out of Henry VIII's reforms, but it was not until later that it truly became its own Church with truly differing beliefs - Henry VIII remained a Roman Catholic the rest of his life, believe it or not (as far as I know). ;)
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

Lancaster of Wessex
Senator

Founded: Feb 21, 2004
New York Times Democracy

Postby Lancaster of Wessex » Wed Apr 11, 2012 4:24 pm

New Sapienta wrote:Roman Catholicism since Anglicanism was created during a temper tantrum.

See my reply above; this is true to an extent, but is largely dismissive of how Anglicanism truly evolved.
Lancaster.
Duke of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Lancaster of Wessex

The Most High, Potent, and Noble Prince, Lancaster, By the Grace of God, Duke of Wessex, Protector of the Enclaved Pious Estates of The Church of Wessex, Lord of Saint Aldhelm Islands, Prince and Great Steward of Celtic Wessex, Keeper of the Great Seal of the Duchy and House of Lancaster of Wessex, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Illustrious Order of the Gold Gryphon, etc.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General