NATION

PASSWORD

Dumb Blonde Sayz: Vaccines Kill Ur Kidz!

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Titz, Poll, or GTFO.

True- McCarthy's statements are true, all of them. Vaccines cause autism in children.
8%
Sort of- Some of her points are true, but others/many are false/misleading.
2%
Not really- On occasions, she may be right, but overall, it's not the way it goes.
10%
False- It's false, she has no idea what she's talking about.
76%
Other- I have other opinions because Rob is feeling dull tonight and can't make good options.
3%

Total votes : 96

Buccaneers FC
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Buccaneers FC » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:56 pm

Autism is fucking bad if you crap on your mom's carpet and ruin it.
The Weegies said:
Dear God, imagine a date with Bluth Corporation:

Date: "Do you mind paying, or do you want to split the bill?"
Bluth Corporation: YOU ARE INFRINGING UPON MY UNIVERSE-DERIVED OBJECTIVE INDIVIDUALITY! MY PERSONAL SOVEREIGNTY, TAKEN FROM COMPLETELY CORRECT AND OBSERVABLE FIRST PRINCIPLES HAS BEEN VIOLATED! YOU ARE IMPOSING SOCIETAL NORMS UPON ME WHICH I REJECT AS ILLEGITIMATE! A IS A! A IS A!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: So... split it, then?

Niur
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Niur » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:58 pm

was it a pretty carpet, or was it ugly?
"In cahuitontli ca otopan, yehuantzitzin yollochipahuac tonaz, yeceh yehuantzitzin tica imanimanmeh tlahueliloc telchihualozque. In cahuitontli ca teuctlatolli ic otopan, auh yehuan quitzacua, in neltiliztli, onyezque huetztoc!"

Protronica
Civilian

Founded: Sep 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Protronica » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:59 pm

I wanted to try and explain how the scientific process works, since I actually work for scientists, and point out the dangers of coming to a conclusion that vaccinations actually cause Autism.

When an initial study concludes a link between vaccinations and Autism, colleague scientists attempt to reproduce that experiment and come up with any other possible reason for the link. The reason scientists do this is not out of hatred for one another, but in an attempt to find the truth. If there truly was a link between Autism and vaccinations, proving so is merely a matter of time involving several studies that attempt to disprove the initial study. If the initial study is disproven, steps are taken to disprove the study that disproved the initial study, again, using several different studies.

Once all other possibilities have been eliminated, then the scientific community (generally) accepts this as the truth, and this is when the media should cover whether there's a link or not a link. In an attempt to sell air-time, however, its very common for a single study to be the source of a news story. This usually isn't completely dishonest. If you listen carefully, the media usually says something to the accord of, "Scientists may have found a link between self-gratification and repetitive wrist injuries. A new study from Blah University shows an increased risk for carpal tunnel syndrome to those that pleasure themselves."

This is problematic, because it covers only one study. That's why they say "may" not "does". Let me explain this a little further:

Let's say we have a study with a group of people. We know the percentage chance from the population as a whole developing Autism by getting the numbers of those who have the disease. For arguments sake, and because I don't know the numbers, let's say that's 5% of the population. Now, in the initial study, we find that %15 of those who were vaccinated developed Autism, versus 3% of the control group. Note, how the control group should be 5%, not 3. The reason for this is that the people in a study is far outnumbered by the population as a whole. We can't effectively do a study on 20 million people, or at least, it's hard to control the environment. That %15 that were vaccinated, may have already been on their way to developing Autism, because of chance, we put several people who would develop Autism anyway in our test group.

So the only way to be sure is to repeat the process. When a second study shows that 7% of the control group, who didn't get vaccinated develops Autism, versus 5% of the test group, we begin to look at the possibility that vaccinations are not to blame for an increase in the rate of Autism, but we could STILL be wrong. We need more studies. Maybe our second study had a disproportion of people who are genetically predisposed not to develop Autism from vaccines.

Furthermore, there's the possibility that the first test group from the first study was exposed to something else that could have caused Autism. So really we have to have more studies, some to validate the disproval of the first study, and some to validate the first study, and to disprove the second.

This is a game of numbers. Sometimes, because of random chance, you can have what seems to be a link between something, but really it's because not enough data has been collected. This is the argument of correlation and causation in Statistical Analysis.

Someone posted a link about a vaccinations and the development of MS. In that link, it pretty much is at the stage I'm describing, where not enough data has been collected, but the initial study has been disproven at least once, and further studies to back up the disproval are needed to dismiss the correlation as a statistical anomaly or to prove the initial study correct.

So, pretty much, in that link, it's a way of saying "We don't know for sure. We've got one study that says it does and one study that says it doesn't, so we need more studies, please stop freaking out."

What we can say for sure that has been scientifically proven is the effectiveness of vaccines. Since this entire argument started, and a good part of it has been over in Europe, we've seen pockets of Rubella, Measles, and other vaccine-able diseases crop up in parts of the US and the UK. This is a result of vaccinations being rejected in higher numbers. Please for the love of god don't listen to the hype that Rubella and Measles aren't that bad.

Rubella causes spontaneous miscarriages in up to 20% of infected pregnant women. In infants infected with Rubella, it can develop into Congenital Rubella Syndrome(CRS). The syndrome (CRS) follows intrauterine infection by Rubella virus and comprises cardiac, cerebral, ophthalmic and auditory defects. Many mothers who contract rubella within the first critical trimester either have a miscarriage or a still born baby. If the baby survives the infection, it can be born with severe heart disorders (PDA being the most common), blindness, deafness, or other life threatening organ disorders.

Measles on the other hand, provide a greater threat to adults. With complications such as corneal ulcerations and thus corneal scarring, it can lead to partial or total blindness. In underdeveloped nations, where malnutrition and poor medical care is rampant, the fatality rate from measles is 28%.

We have proven vaccines to be effective, and we have not proven vaccines to cause an increase in the numbers of children who develop Autism. I have provided a link to a Discover Magazine article: http://discovermagazine.com/2009/jun/06-why-does-vaccine-autism-controversy-live-on and a link to a science blog concerning the same issue (I like having more than one source): http://www.scientificblogging.com/truth_universally_acknowledged/vaccineautism_link_gets_double_shot_arm

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:59 pm

Buccaneers FC wrote:I got all my vaccines and now I am autistic. There are no other traces leading to this case other than those vaccines. I am autistic because of these vaccines. Indisputable proof. She isn't talking shit. She's speaking facts.

Of course there aren't any more traces. Autism is neither contagious or a gradually developed change. Me and my twin brother (along with everyone else our age) both had the same vaccines and only one of us turned out to be an Aspie. Did I walk out of the clinic doors an Aspie? No, I've always been like that from birth. Me and my twin bro also used to eat the same food when we were young; OMG Cheesy mashed potato with sausages causes Autism!!!1

Unfortunately, that food analogy isn't too far from the truth. Back in the day, they also thought that bad parenting caused Autism/Aspergers. Indeed, there is always a daemon invented for the parents of Autistic children to be scared of, unwittingly giving their panic-money to the very corporations who created those daemons.

While this blatent and foundationless scaremongering is normally the preserve of anti-autism corporations, PETA has also seized the bandwagon.
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Buccaneers FC
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Buccaneers FC » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:01 pm

Niur wrote:was it a pretty carpet, or was it ugly?

It was pretty beforehand, but god-ugly after the incident.
The Weegies said:
Dear God, imagine a date with Bluth Corporation:

Date: "Do you mind paying, or do you want to split the bill?"
Bluth Corporation: YOU ARE INFRINGING UPON MY UNIVERSE-DERIVED OBJECTIVE INDIVIDUALITY! MY PERSONAL SOVEREIGNTY, TAKEN FROM COMPLETELY CORRECT AND OBSERVABLE FIRST PRINCIPLES HAS BEEN VIOLATED! YOU ARE IMPOSING SOCIETAL NORMS UPON ME WHICH I REJECT AS ILLEGITIMATE! A IS A! A IS A!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Date: So... split it, then?

Niur
Senator

Founded: Aug 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Niur » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:06 pm

Buccaneers FC wrote:
Niur wrote:was it a pretty carpet, or was it ugly?

It was pretty beforehand, but god-ugly after the incident.

well crapping on carpets is not limited to autistic kids. And perssonally, I think that because I am differant I can look at the world in a differant way, which may or may not be better than the ordinary way of looking at things.
"In cahuitontli ca otopan, yehuantzitzin yollochipahuac tonaz, yeceh yehuantzitzin tica imanimanmeh tlahueliloc telchihualozque. In cahuitontli ca teuctlatolli ic otopan, auh yehuan quitzacua, in neltiliztli, onyezque huetztoc!"

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:08 pm

'Say no to vaccines'
That's what she said
We exclaim: 'how obscene'
To an idea that is better dead
Perhaps we yet have hope!
Surely we have been conned?
But with truth, no man can cope
with a tragic dumb blonde

Macindia
Spokesperson

Founded: May 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Macindia » Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:34 pm

I have people in my family with Autism... most have AS, but one has a lower-functioning type of Autism. He is four now, and he is starting to communicate verbally . It's a hard thing to live with, but, would you rather have Autism or lethal diseases?
Economic Left/Right: -10.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.87

LOL ANARCHY NUBZ
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby LOL ANARCHY NUBZ » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:10 pm

Macindia wrote:I have people in my family with Autism... most have AS, but one has a lower-functioning type of Autism. He is four now, and he is starting to communicate verbally . It's a hard thing to live with, but, would you rather have Autism or lethal diseases?

Lethal diseases, actually.

Rolling squid
Minister

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Rolling squid » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:16 pm

Buccaneers FC wrote:On the other hand, I crapped on my mom's carpet when I was 3 because of those vaccines, thus ruining it.

A statistics class, you need one.
Hammurab wrote:An athiest doesn't attend mass, go to confession, or know a lot about catholicism. So basically, an athiest is the same as a catholic.

Post-Unity Terra wrote:Golly gosh, one group of out-of-touch rich white guys is apparently more in touch with the average man than the other group of out-of-touch rich white guys.

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:27 pm

Buccaneers FC wrote:
Seculartopia wrote:No, its just lies about how the vaccines are made, that they arent "green". Typical Old Wives Tale- type BS.

But they aren't green. Mercury, anyone?

Unless you are more than 50 years old, your story is not true.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Neu California
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Neu California » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:13 pm

LOL ANARCHY NUBZ wrote:
Macindia wrote:I have people in my family with Autism... most have AS, but one has a lower-functioning type of Autism. He is four now, and he is starting to communicate verbally . It's a hard thing to live with, but, would you rather have Autism or lethal diseases?

Lethal diseases, actually.

Care to explain?

And how would you respond to someone who told you they'd rather be autistic than not be autistic?
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little"-FDR
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist"-Dom Helder Camara
"When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression"-Unknown
He/him
Aspie and proud
I'm a weak agnostic without atheistic or theistic leanings.
Endless sucker for romantic lesbian stuff

"During my research I interviewed a guy who said he was a libertarian until he did MDMA and realized that other people have feelings, and that was pretty much the best summary of libertarianism I've ever heard"

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General