NATION

PASSWORD

Retroactive Rape

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Republic of Tropical Partiers
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Tropical Partiers » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:39 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Condunum wrote:This article, outlining the problem with Women on Man forcful sexual assault would like a word with you.

In 1988, the Journal of Sex Research published a study of nearly 1,000 college students. Its most surprising finding was that far more men than women reported having suffered unwanted intercourse -- 62.7 percent to 46.3 percent. A 2001 study of 285 women at a private midwestern university identified 52 as sexually "coercive" - - based on self-reported admissions of verbal manipulations, and insistent, deceptive, or threatening (including physically) behavior. Of those women, 30 reported "becoming so sexually aroused that they felt it was useless to stop even though the partner did not want to have sex."

Couldn't that just be women underestimating the level of coercion they're put through?

Who the fuck are who to define for other people what is coercive or not?
I am a lady! Please use the proper pronoun when referencing me!
NSG's Marlyn Monroe.
(¯`v´¯) I Love My Girls
`*.¸.*´ ?
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)?
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•.
(¯`v´¯)
.`·.¸.·´ ?
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸

]Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:39 pm

Camicon wrote:
Couldn't that just be women underestimating the level of coercion they're put through?

"Someone put a gun to my head, and told me to shoot this other guy. So I shot him. Then I took the gun and made the person next to me shoot someone."

Coercion of an individual does not make said individual coerce others to do what they were coerced to do in the first place.

This set what FST said right in my head.

Four-sided Triangles wrote:Couldn't that just be women underestimating the level of coercion they're put through?

If the statistics are that large, I highly doubt there is any possibility that is the common case.
password scrambled

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:40 pm

Condunum wrote:Explain.
Edit: You missed the 62% of men forced to have unwilling sex part, didn't you?

No, I just find it hard to believe that women are less coerced into sex.
This is why gay marriage will destroy American families.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:41 pm

Republic of Tropical Partiers wrote:Who the fuck are who to define for other people what is coercive or not?

Haven't you ever heard of false consciousness?
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:41 pm

That's sexist.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:42 pm

Condunum wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:Depends. Could you ordering food from a restaurant just be you underestimating how much the restaurant is coercing you?

Alright, I think I'm just derpy right now. I didn't understand your analogy, or FST. I think I need to sleep longer in nights.

It wasn't exactly an analogy. I couldn't think of a good analogy in a hurry, so I just went with an example of a voluntary action that I hoped wouldn't offend anybody. The point was that I'm only entertaining his ridiculous suggestion of hidden reverse coercion if we are taking it to the extreme that all behavior is potentially a result of coercion one is underestimating.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:42 pm

Obviously you haven't listened to most women on this site, then. You're arguing a point most women disagree with.
password scrambled

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Republic of Tropical Partiers wrote:Who the fuck are who to define for other people what is coercive or not?

Haven't you ever heard of false consciousness?

I have. It's much, much less prevalent that you seem to believe.
password scrambled

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:43 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Condunum wrote:Alright, I think I'm just derpy right now. I didn't understand your analogy, or FST. I think I need to sleep longer in nights.

It wasn't exactly an analogy. I couldn't think of a good analogy in a hurry, so I just went with an example of a voluntary action that I hoped wouldn't offend anybody. The point was that I'm only entertaining his ridiculous suggestion of hidden reverse coercion if we are taking it to the extreme that all behavior is potentially a result of coercion one is underestimating.

Oh. Gotcha.
password scrambled

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:44 pm

Astrolinium wrote:That's sexist.

Or it's just recognition of the patriarchy. In a patriarchal society, one would expect that women are more coerced.

Grainne Ni Malley
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Grainne Ni Malley » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:44 pm

Republic of Tropical Partiers wrote:

Who the fuck are who to define for other people what is coercive or not?

Because sometimes people are unaware of their personal rights. Such as a woman who might say, "It can't be rape because he's my husband."
*insert boring personal information, political slant, witty quotes, and some fancy text color here*

Гроня Ни Маллий - In fond memory of Dyakovo. I will always remember you. Thank you for the laughs.

Yes Im Biop
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Yes Im Biop » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:45 pm

Yeahh,... ... ... I smell Sexism.
Scaile, Proud, Dangerous
Ambassador
Founded: Jul 01, 2011
[violet] wrote:Urggg... trawling through ads looking for roman orgies...

Idaho Conservatives wrote:FST creates a half-assed thread, goes on his same old feminist rant, and it turns into a thirty page dogpile in under twenty four hours. Just another day on NSG.

Immoren wrote:Saphirasia and his ICBCPs (inter continental ballistic cattle prod)
Yes, I Am infact Biop.

Rest in Peace Riley. Biopan Embassy Non Military Realism Thread
Seeya 1K Cat's Miss ya man. Well, That Esclated Quickly

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:45 pm

Or it's just recognition of the patriarchy. In a patriarchal society, one would expect that women are more coerced.

Men coerce other men to conform. "Only a gay guy would turn down sex with any girl who wasn't totally hideous."

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Jerusalem and Damascus
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Jerusalem and Damascus » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:46 pm

We're not pure patriarchy, though. Women do have definite power in a lot of social situations that is on par with that of men.
Roman Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist ala the Duma, Political Pluralist, Laissez-Faire Capitalist, Civil Libertarian (Don't have a link for this one -- just let people do as they do, so to speak)
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00

NUMBER ONE ON KARINZISTAN'S NATION STATES LIST. HELLS YEAH.
Official recipient of Cu Math's "Let's Be Civil" Potato
How physicists I've met seem to function.

Condunum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Condunum » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:47 pm

Grainne Ni Malley wrote:

Because sometimes people are unaware of their personal rights. Such as a woman who might say, "It can't be rape because he's my husband."

Maybe you missed what this is arguing? I put up an article describing the prevalence of Woman on Man rape. I'm not sure how this has to do with that.

Honestly, what says that it is that bad? You're arguing that our society has reach a point of coercion that is, quite frankly, impossible to return from.
password scrambled

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Tropical Partiers » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:47 pm

Grainne Ni Malley wrote:

Won't that mean if she/he holds such a view that she/he is in her/he own mind, consenting to the sex act because she/he denies that unconsenal sex between her and her partner can exist, thus removing rape as a possibility?
NSG's Marlyn Monroe.
(¯`v´¯) I Love My Girls
`*.¸.*´ ?
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)?
(¯`v´¯)
.`·.¸.·´ ?
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸

]Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly, and for the same reason.

Jerusalem and Damascus
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jerusalem and Damascus » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:49 pm

Grainne Ni Malley wrote:

Won't that mean if she/he holds such a view that she/he is in her/he own mind, consenting to the sex act because she/he denies that unconsenal sex between her and her partner can exist, thus removing rape as a possibility?

It's still a psychologically destructive act that's done more against her will, despite rationalization. When she does, it's just stockholm syndrome.
Roman Catholic, Constitutional Monarchist ala the Duma, Political Pluralist, Laissez-Faire Capitalist, Civil Libertarian (Don't have a link for this one -- just let people do as they do, so to speak)

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:51 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:Men coerce other men to conform. "Only a gay guy would turn down sex with any girl who wasn't totally hideous."

Sure, but:

1. That's still patriarchy.

2. One would expect that this effect would not be as prevalent as the coercion women are put through, at least one would expect that in a patriarchal society.

Jerusalem and Damascus
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jerusalem and Damascus » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:53 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:Men coerce other men to conform. "Only a gay guy would turn down sex with any girl who wasn't totally hideous."

Sure, but:

2. One would expect that this effect would not be as prevalent as the coercion women are put through, at least one would expect that in a patriarchal society.

You know, you're using partriarchy far too much and it's really far too biased a word to be using it the way you're using it. Society's norms came from both men and women and we're equally to blame for them. Women were oppressed but not as much that their influence has not affected the way our society functions throughout history.

Grainne Ni Malley
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Grainne Ni Malley » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:53 pm

Condunum wrote:
Grainne Ni Malley wrote:

Maybe you missed what this is arguing? I put up an article describing the prevalence of Woman on Man rape. I'm not sure how this has to do with that.

I was addressing Trop's question about why others might define coercion for someone with a random example, not addressing the prevalence of Woman on Man rape.
*insert boring personal information, political slant, witty quotes, and some fancy text color here*

Гроня Ни Маллий - In fond memory of Dyakovo. I will always remember you. Thank you for the laughs.

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Tropical Partiers » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Jerusalem and Damascus wrote:
Republic of Tropical Partiers wrote:Won't that mean if she/he holds such a view that she/he is in her/he own mind, consenting to the sex act because she/he denies that unconsenal sex between her and her partner can exist, thus removing rape as a possibility?

It's still a psychologically destructive act that's done more against her will, despite rationalization. When she does, it's just stockholm syndrome.

And you can tell this how? The slippery slope of this is that if you can tell people that you were raped without having the said individual saying that I was raped then you end up taking away a bit of respect of people's individual autonomy and may lead to banning of certain sexual practices.
NSG's Marlyn Monroe.
(¯`v´¯) I Love My Girls
`*.¸.*´ ?
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)?
(¯`v´¯)
.`·.¸.·´ ?
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Sure, but:

Yes, I'm fully aware.

That, however, does not follow. It is a possible, but not necessary, consequence.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Jerusalem and Damascus
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jerusalem and Damascus » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:55 pm

And you can tell this how? The slippery slope of this is that if you can tell people that you were raped without having the said individual saying that I was raped then you end up taking away a bit of respect of people's individual autonomy and may lead to banning of certain sexual practices.

If he forces himself upon her, it's rape. What matters is how she felt at that moment.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:55 pm

Condunum wrote:This article, outlining the problem with Women on Man forcful sexual assault would like a word with you.

In 1988, the Journal of Sex Research published a study of nearly 1,000 college students. Its most surprising finding was that far more men than women reported having suffered unwanted intercourse -- 62.7 percent to 46.3 percent. A 2001 study of 285 women at a private midwestern university identified 52 as sexually "coercive" - - based on self-reported admissions of verbal manipulations, and insistent, deceptive, or threatening (including physically) behavior. Of those women, 30 reported "becoming so sexually aroused that they felt it was useless to stop even though the partner did not want to have sex."

it certainly could be. It's one of the many issues involved in self-reported studies. Nor is 1000 a particularily large sample given the population size. That said, it does give some support and certainly provides evidence that it would be worth looking into.
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Republic of Tropical Partiers » Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:02 pm

Republic of Tropical Partiers wrote:And you can tell this how? The slippery slope of this is that if you can tell people that you were raped without having the said individual saying that I was raped then you end up taking away a bit of respect of people's individual autonomy and may lead to banning of certain sexual practices.

If he forces himself upon her, it's rape. What matters is how she felt at that moment.

Then again, there is no way we can certainly know that unless we were there when it happens and the consequences of trying to know for certain can be worse than the anomaly, hence why it's best to trust the individual.
NSG's Marlyn Monroe.
(¯`v´¯) I Love My Girls
`*.¸.*´ ?
¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)?
(¯`v´¯)
.`·.¸.·´ ?
¸.·´¸.·´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ .·´ ¸

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General