NATION

PASSWORD

Retroactive Rape

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:11 am

Thyval wrote:did you know if you feed a troll you only make him more powerful

fun fact

Oh? What happens when you feed a newb?
Your friendly neighborhood zoophile. I'm here to answer questions. Also, we have a region: Zoo!

Norstal wrote:You are a hatiater: one who radiates hate.

Meryuma wrote:No one is more of a cat person than 1000 Cats!

FST wrote:Any sexual desires which can be satiated within a healthy and consensual way should be freed from shame. Bizarre kinks and fetishes are acceptable and nothing to be ashamed of as long as they are acted out in a context where everyone consents and no one is hurt.
Factbook/Q&A | RP | Conlang | Short Story

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:25 am

FST you really need to stop pushing this whole fear/hate/whatever of sex thing you've got going on onto other people. I understand that, to you, sex is somehow inherently repulsive/coercive and, while I disagree, that's fine. What's less fine is your support of a guilty until proven innocent position simply because it would support your "sex is teh ebil" views.
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Aurorum Veritas
Secretary

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aurorum Veritas » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:29 am

Erinkita wrote:Avoiding sex won't protect anyone from the abuse of this power. Under this sytem, anyone can be accused of rape and assumed guilty whether they're sexually active or not. How would you go about proving that you don't have sex?

Another good point.
Verum omnia superat.

User-maat-kehr, setep-en-kehr.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:34 am

1000 Cats wrote:
Thyval wrote:did you know if you feed a troll you only make him more powerful

fun fact

Oh? What happens when you feed a newb?

He becomes a more experienced and enriched person. :)
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:38 am

Forster Keys wrote:
1000 Cats wrote:Oh? What happens when you feed a newb?

Except after midnight.
Your friendly neighborhood zoophile. I'm here to answer questions. Also, we have a region: Zoo!

FST wrote:Any sexual desires which can be satiated within a healthy and consensual way should be freed from shame. Bizarre kinks and fetishes are acceptable and nothing to be ashamed of as long as they are acted out in a context where everyone consents and no one is hurt.

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:40 am

The Congregationists wrote:
Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Often because women that bring it forward half to put up with a lot of unnecessary and inappropriate questions that have no relevance to whether or not they were raped.

Gathering evidence to try to ascertain the truth or falsehood of an allegation that is perhaps the worst that can be made against a person. Yeah - totally uneccesary and inappropriate. Definately.

FST's logic is this. If a woman had sex in any way then she was raped.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:52 am

Four-sided Triangles wrote:http://blog.iblamethepatriarchy.com/2007/05/16/the-new-page-of-consent/

This article proposes a different system to deal with rape than the current one. Rather than focusing on issues of consent, it presumes that the legal default of all women be "no." In other words, the law assumes that a woman did not want sex unless it can be proven otherwise. This would essentially be a reversal of the burden of proof.

Under this system, all accusations of rape would automatically be considered correct. Every woman who says she was raped was, by definition, raped.

Proponents of the system say that it would definitely cut down of the amount of rapes out there. They also allege that it would not be abused, or if it were abused, the abuse would be so absolutely minor as to be negligible. They also state that it doesn't hurt men at all, since a man is perfectly free to refrain from ever having sex at all if he wants to avoid any risk of being accused of rape.

Opponents allege that it would, in fact, be abused far more than the proponents seem to think. They also assert that it is not only counter to the fundamental notion of innocent until proven guilty, but it also technically criminalizes all heterosexual intercourse.

What does NSG think? Would this legal idea of rape be abused harshly, or is that simply conspiratorial thinking? It seems to be quite obvious that this would lower the overall amount of rape in the world, so the only questions are whether it's just and whether or not the potential for abuse outweighs the benefit.

I'm actually not sure myself. It would certainly lower the amount of rape out there, and the whole notion of constant false rape accusations as revenge from bitter women is pretty much a myth. On the other hand, the potential for abuse does exist. Of course, the potential can be completely avoided if a man simply elects to never have sex. I'm ambivalent here.

I'll take "really bad idea" for $200, Woody.

Really, this is a terrible idea for several reasons:

(1) Placing the onus of proof on the defendant is almost always a bad idea. The prosecution has more resources than 99.5% of defendants - they should be doing the work in hte courtroom.

(2) What happens when a woman decides, a few days later, that she actually didn't want to have sex? Does that become rape? Also, what of when a woman wants to blackmail a man by having perfectly consensual sex, then threatening to call rape?

(3)The very idea would set gender relations back decades - or more.

(4) What happens if a woman accuses someone like myself (homosexual virgin) of rape? I'd be found guilty, due to the difficulty of proving a negative. Despite the fact that the very idea is ludicrous.

(5) Who would be the jury? Women? Or men?

There are more reasons why this is A Bad Idea (tm) - I won't go into them, mostly because I consider the reasons presented to be more than sufficient to consign whatever idiotic person thought this up to eternal irrelevance.

Erinkita wrote:This is one of the more repugnant things I've seen linked here. Does anyone else feel like they need to take a shower after reading the linked article?

*A* shower? Posts like that to which the OP linked are the reasons I dislike rad-fems so much, and they drag down the feminist movement generally. Mostly because a lot of people aren't aware (or are barely aware) of any differences between feminists and rad-fems, and assume that all feminists (or at least most of them) support suck dreck, when in fact most feminists I've met would be appalled at such an idea becoming law.

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Jinos wrote:
Wrong. A low of about 20% and a high of about 40% of all reported "rapes" are false reports.

Source?

The sources I can find put it in the 8%-10% region.

Source 1
Source 2 (Page 40 table: 216 out of 2,214 researched cases found to be false allegations)

IOW, Jinos don't know what the fuck he's talking about, but he's stumbled upon a partial truth - there are a significant number of women willing to cry rape without evidence or basis. Just not 20%-40% of all reporters of rape. Still, the point is there: if 8%-10% of rape reports today are found to be false, what do you think will happen if all it takes is a woman's word to put hte guy behind bars? Because let's face it, that's what will happen if the onus of proof is placed on the guy. Either that, or guys will carry around contracts that they'll get girls to sign before having sex with them - which is wrong in so many ways.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Cheesewhiz
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cheesewhiz » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:01 am

No, this is a very bad idea. Other people have already elaborated as to why.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:02 am

New Chalcedon wrote:What happens when a woman decides, a few days later, that she actually didn't want to have sex? Does that become rape?

According to the blog author, it doesn't become rape, it already was, and she just didn't press charges right away.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Wiztopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wiztopia » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:04 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:
New Chalcedon wrote:What happens when a woman decides, a few days later, that she actually didn't want to have sex? Does that become rape?

According to the blog author, it doesn't become rape, it already was, and she just didn't press charges right away.

Everybody is a rapist.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:04 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:

Hence: Bad Idea.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Hjornis
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Hjornis » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:06 am

New Chalcedon wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:According to the blog author, it doesn't become rape, it already was, and she just didn't press charges right away.

so if a girl dont sepesificly say "I want to have sex" its rape?

and why cant the boy say the same thing? I dont want to be too personal but sometimes it fun to lye there and lett her do all the work. Could this argument work? and press charges against her?
Last edited by Hjornis on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
GOD MODE is cheating. You might win if you cheat, but the victory won't be much fun. Also I don't spell check my OCC comments, so don't judge me, don't tell me, don't ask me.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:14 am

Hjornis wrote:
New Chalcedon wrote:

so if a girl dont sepesificly say "I want to have sex" its rape?

No, even if she does, according to the blogger:
Crazy blogger wrote:Well, what if lack of consent were the default? What if all prospective objects of dudely predation — by whom I mean all womenare a priori considered to have said “no”? What if women, in other words, were seen by the courts to abide in a persistent legal condition of keep-the-fuck-off-me?

A straight girl could still have as much sex as she wants with men, if for some reason she thinks it’s a good idea (naturally I would most vigorously urge self-identified heterosexual women to contemplate the horrific personal and political implications of submitting to male domination in this way. But that’s another post). All she’d have to do is not call the cops. No harm no foul.

But if, at any time during the course of the proceedings, up to and including the storied infinitesimal microsecond preceding the sacred spilling of dudely seed, the woman elects to biff off to the nearest taco stand; and if her egress from the sweaty tableau is in any way impeded by the pronger (such an impediment would include everything from “traditional” brute force, to that insistently whispered declamation “just a couple more minutes, I’m almost there” the dread seriousness of which the fervid oaf dramatizes by that ever-so-slight tightening of his grip on her wrist); or if, in three hours or three days or, perhaps in the case of childhood abuse, in 13 years it begins to dawn on her that she has been badly used by an opportunistic predator, she has simply to make a call.

Presto! The dude is already a rapist, because, legally, consent never existed.

Emphasis mine. Consent is literally impossible, it does not, can not, happen. Instead what happens is "I didn't feel like pressing charges".

And she knows it:
Ibid. wrote:I grasp that, technically, the plan criminalizes all male participants in heterosexual sex.

Well, what of it? The set-up now, with the emphasis — in a misogynist world with a misogynist judiciary — on whether or not women “give” consent, is that female participants are all infinitely rapeable, because all some perv has to do is say, “she said yes.”

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Saeran Sulsae
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saeran Sulsae » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:15 am

Only way to get rid of all these legal issues is to ban sexual activity entirely. Though, to be fair, that's pretty much FST's whole worldview.

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:15 am

FST, you are a filthy rapist, using the cover of asexuality to hide your crimes.

Now, prove me wrong.
Kosovo is Serbia!
Embassy Anthem Store Facts

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Great Nepal wrote:Please stick to OFFICIAL numbers. Why to go to scholars,[cut]

Central Slavia
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Central Slavia » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:16 am

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:No. Why on Earth would I acknowledge any sort of legitimacy of such an intellectually bankrupt idea with an argument? Mockery is all it deserves, and shock.

I think it's our moral duty to bend over backwards in order to help people who have been historically oppressed.
If this means a few innocent men go to prison in order to greatly reduce rape, doesn't the end justify the means?

This statement reeks of troll.
Kosovo is Serbia!
Embassy Anthem Store Facts

Glorious Homeland wrote:
You would be wrong. There's something wrong with the Americans, the Japanese are actually insane, the Chinese don't seem capable of free-thought and just defer judgement to the most powerful strong man, the Russians are quite like that, only more aggressive and mad, and Belarus? Hah.

Omnicracy wrote:The Soviet Union did not support pro-Soviet governments, it compleatly controled them. The U.S. did not controle the corrupt regiems it set up against the Soviet Union, it just sugested things and changed leaders if they weer not takeing enough sugestions

Great Nepal wrote:Please stick to OFFICIAL numbers. Why to go to scholars,[cut]

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:23 am

Central Slavia wrote:FST, you are a filthy rapist, using the cover of asexuality to hide your crimes.

Now, prove me wrong.

He has, a number of months back, stated that he is a rapist. He's not, and I think he's moved away from this idea, but I don't think that's the best argument to be presenting him.

It seems to me that FST has backed down from the argument in his OP and has since asked what we think should be done about rape prevalence.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:33 am

1000 Cats wrote:
Forster Keys wrote:

Except after midnight.

And of that we don't speak.
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

The Mizarian Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Mizarian Empire » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:25 am

This entire suggestion is wrong like sex in a crib and If you would bear with me for a moment ladies and gentlemen I'll be glad to summarize why
A brief disclaimer: I am not misogynistic, if anything I am open if not entirely in agreement with equal rights for women, henceforth my term for more extreme/hardline feminists shall be coined "fem-nazis". Once again I am all for women's rights. Bearing in mind some of these points may have already been made, into the maelstrom we go:

A) Unless you have an eyewitness who can outright attest that the sex was consensual (y'know, if you prefer that kind of thing), there is absolutely no way to defend yourself against such accusations.

B) Murphy's law pretty much makes it a given that when someone/something is stated "it wont be abused", its going to be abused, often, without remorse. This reeks of the whole scare of Congress wanting to give US presidents the right to indefinitely detain Citizens on suspicion of being a terrorist last year, Take your pick of sources:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2011/11/congress-is-poised-to-let-obama-imprison-anyone-he-wants/249315/
http://dailycristo.com/politics/congres ... americans/
http://www.aclu.org/blog/national-secur ... fine-being

C) This pretty much violates the fundamental human rights of average citizens (AKA Innocent until proven guilty) in ways I don't even want to fathom.

D) If I'm reading this correctly (and in the name of all that is legal, feel encouraged to correct me if I'm wrong) this law/term would only apply to women. Making it horribly sexist as well as incredibly biased, lets play a little game shall we? I call it Scenario:

if I were to apply this to any other field of criminal activity (Theft, Narcotics, Terrorism etc.) In which I pointed the finger at a random individual and said for instance "Hes a drug dealer!". And suddenly without any evidence, any reason to suspect he is or ever will deal in controlled substances in his life (at most taking prescribed painkillers or medicine). He is labeled guilty until proven otherwise; I probably be well within reason to suspect either A, I'm living in a Extremist police-state or B, The Justice system is about as morally bankrupt as the late Kim Jong Il.

TL;DR If you have a functioning brain in your head you would disagree with what is being proposed here, even if you are a victim of rape.
If you need help world-building, don't be afraid to send me a PM/TG. I'm generally a laid-back guy and have no problem helping if I'm not busy.
Currently Hosting:
If you have ANY QUESTIONS WHATSOEVER about your application or about an RP I am running, feel free to ask, I don't bite very often.

I keep my own political views to myself unless pressed, no offense to you dear reader. With regards to religious belief, I am an atheist. That being said, I'm open to (peacefully) discussing spiritual belief and/or scripture if you so desire.

The Mizarian Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Mizarian Empire » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:29 am

Now with all of that out of the way I want to quickly point out that FST (Thats the OP, Four-Sided-Triangle for those of you unaware) has a bit of a history as being considered one of 3 things on these forums

A) A troll

B) An Idiot

C) Clinically insane

PS; Don't believe me? I challenge anyone to look his name up (particularly in General forum) and look at the replies.
Last edited by The Mizarian Empire on Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
If you need help world-building, don't be afraid to send me a PM/TG. I'm generally a laid-back guy and have no problem helping if I'm not busy.
Currently Hosting:
If you have ANY QUESTIONS WHATSOEVER about your application or about an RP I am running, feel free to ask, I don't bite very often.

I keep my own political views to myself unless pressed, no offense to you dear reader. With regards to religious belief, I am an atheist. That being said, I'm open to (peacefully) discussing spiritual belief and/or scripture if you so desire.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:39 am

Laws intended to protect victims often end up being abused by those who need no protection.

In my nine years of legal practice I saw abused women refusing, for a variety of reasons, to go to the police. Meanwhile, other women (not abused) were using the laws as a weapon to gain power over men in their lives. The accused under these "protective" laws were not allowed to confront their accusers, despite our Constitution.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:49 am

Four-sided Triangles wrote:So, are you going to put forth arguments or not?

Well, no.
Because what you are telling us is that unless we want to be accused of rape, all men have to become abstinent.

Whilst this has been your proud boast since coming here, the majority of men don't agree with that philosophy.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Hippostania
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Hippostania » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:38 am

Four-sided Triangles wrote:Do you also look down on men who have sex, or is this something exclusive to women?

A key that opens a lot of locks is a master key. A lock that is opened by lots of keys is a shitty lock.
Factbook - New Embassy Program
Economic Right: 10.00 - Social Authoritarian: 2.87 - Foreign Policy Neoconservative: 9.54 - Cultural Liberal: -1.14
For: market liberalism, capitalism, eurofederalism, neoconservatism, British unionism, atlanticism, LGB rights, abortion rights, Greater Israel, Pan-Western federalism, NATO, USA, EU
Against: communism, socialism, anarchism, eurosceptism, agrarianism, Swiss/Irish/Scottish/Welsh independence, cultural relativism, all things Russian, aboriginal/native American special rights

Hippo's Political Party Rankings (updated 21/7/2013)

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:41 am

Hippostania wrote:
Four-sided Triangles wrote:Do you also look down on men who have sex, or is this something exclusive to women?

A key that opens a lot of locks is a master key. A lock that is opened by lots of keys is a shitty lock.

Genitals aren't security devices.

Xenohumanity wrote:

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:44 am

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Hippostania wrote:A key that opens a lot of locks is a master key. A lock that is opened by lots of keys is a shitty lock.

Genitals aren't security devices.

No, they aren't.
But, that's an exact parallel to the typical view between men who sleep around and women who sleep around.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General