NATION

PASSWORD

Retroactive Rape

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Kaeshar
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaeshar » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:46 pm

1000 Cats wrote:
Kaeshar wrote:
If its surprisingly constant over cultures, then maybe it has a major genetic component?

Twin studies put it at about 50%. That has to be taken with a grain of salt, but still, yes, quite high.

Obviously environment and life experiences would have an effect. Did they see if there was any correlation with the way they were brought up as children? Although the large numbers and variety over cultures might negate that.

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:46 pm

Peddieville wrote:
1000 Cats wrote:If it helps, 1% of the population is psychopathic. Robert Hare identified this ages ago and it's stayed surprisingly constant, both over time, over different schedules, and different cultures. It's not something we can iron out of society, unfortunately.

Thanks-that seems about right to me. I guess it also matters whether FST meant psychopathic in a clinical sense, or in a more popular sense, which could include portions of the ASPD population.

All psychopaths (as defined by Hare's inventory) have ASPD as well, and all people with ASPD must have met criteria for conduct disorder (as defined by the DSM IV-TR). It's a neat little line showing how horrible a person you are. ;)
Your friendly neighborhood zoophile. I'm here to answer questions. Also, we have a region: Zoo!

Norstal wrote:You are a hatiater: one who radiates hate.

Meryuma wrote:No one is more of a cat person than 1000 Cats!

FST wrote:Any sexual desires which can be satiated within a healthy and consensual way should be freed from shame. Bizarre kinks and fetishes are acceptable and nothing to be ashamed of as long as they are acted out in a context where everyone consents and no one is hurt.
Factbook/Q&A | RP | Conlang | Short Story

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:47 pm

Raeyh wrote:Well that's just character assassination, it's not hatred of women.

But why is it effective? Why would those things act as character assassination if society weren't misogynistic?
This is why gay marriage will destroy American families.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:47 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
I'm sorry, but "She was dressed in skimpy clothing and was therefore asking for it." and "She's slutty and has a lot of promiscuous sex so obviously she wanted it and it wasn't rape." are very common and very wrong responses to accusations of rape. These responses reflect a degrading view of female sexuality which is very ingrained in our culture.

And "He has a penis but no alibi so he must've raped her" isn't just as bad, if not worse?
Last edited by The Grand World Order on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:47 pm

Kaeshar wrote:
1000 Cats wrote:Twin studies put it at about 50%. That has to be taken with a grain of salt, but still, yes, quite high.

Obviously environment and life experiences would have an effect. Did they see if there was any correlation with the way they were brought up as children? Although the large numbers and variety over cultures might negate that.

Yes. Many of them had abusive or neglectful parenting, and there is a strong correlation between poverty and disorders on the antisocial "stream".
Your friendly neighborhood zoophile. I'm here to answer questions. Also, we have a region: Zoo!

FST wrote:Any sexual desires which can be satiated within a healthy and consensual way should be freed from shame. Bizarre kinks and fetishes are acceptable and nothing to be ashamed of as long as they are acted out in a context where everyone consents and no one is hurt.

Peddieville
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Peddieville » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:48 pm

1000 Cats wrote:
Peddieville wrote:Thanks-that seems about right to me. I guess it also matters whether FST meant psychopathic in a clinical sense, or in a more popular sense, which could include portions of the ASPD population.

All psychopaths (as defined by Hare's inventory) have ASPD as well, and all people with ASPD must have met criteria for conduct disorder (as defined by the DSM IV-TR). It's a neat little line showing how horrible a person you are. ;)

Hehe. And to clarify, I meant portions of the ASPD population outside of psychopaths.
I have nothing to say

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:48 pm

Peddieville wrote:Those must be some pretty significant counter-factors.

Increases in the standard of living are one of the strongest (if not THE strongest) deterrents to crime.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:49 pm

1000 Cats wrote:
Peddieville wrote:
Fair point, although the differences between the two are a bit hazy, by the article's own admission. Best statistic I could find in my perusal of the psychopathy article is that (under one definition) 11-13% of the US prison population are psychopaths. I'm not really willing to extrapolate on that, but it pegs the lower bound at .1%, unless I'm missing something.
EDIT: Re-Reading the article, it's 11-25% for males, which makes the statistic even more difficult.

If it helps, 1% of the population is psychopathic. Robert Hare identified this ages ago and it's stayed surprisingly constant, both over time, over different schedules, and different cultures. It's not something we can iron out of society, unfortunately.

I'd like the see citation. ...but not now; it's late here. If you get a chance, could you TG me a citation for one of his papers? Thanks in advance. (I'm not sure if I believe the claim, but I'm in no mental shape now to do serious critical reading of published research.)
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:49 pm

Kaeshar wrote:
1000 Cats wrote:Twin studies put it at about 50%. That has to be taken with a grain of salt, but still, yes, quite high.

And environmental factors start in the womb. There's evidence that schizophrenia causing genes might be activated by the mother getting certain illnesses at a specific period of pregnancy, I don't see why psychopathy couldn't be similar.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:50 pm

The Grand World Order wrote:And "He's a man without an alibi so he must've raped her" isn't just as bad, if not worse?

In a total vacuum? Yes. In society with its present conditions? No.

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:50 pm

1000 Cats wrote:OK. These have all increased if not been introduced within the last forty years. Rape prevalence has decreased. What is your explanation?

Also, I am glad to hear that you are no longer entirely anti-sex. :)

That other counter-factors have also changed over the same time period.

Like? I am suggesting here that our willingness to portray rape as something that is (A) needlessly violent, or (B) such an unthinkable action that one can joke about it and make references to it in the same way we joke about tossing dead babies out of airplanes has actually acted to decrease the prevalence of rape.

Awesome Possum Land
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Retroactive Rape

Postby Awesome Possum Land » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:51 pm

This is dumb. As a woman, I know women can be bitches and would lie about being raped.

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:52 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:In a total vacuum? Yes. In society with its present conditions? No.

And that, right there, is extremely misandristic, which is heavily ingrained in your subculture, which is feminism, which you seek to spread, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to convince us that you're right. Therefore you're as bigoted as a jury who believes a man is more likely to be guilty based on the color of his skin.

And that, is called hypocrisy. QED.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:52 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:
1000 Cats wrote:If it helps, 1% of the population is psychopathic. Robert Hare identified this ages ago and it's stayed surprisingly constant, both over time, over different schedules, and different cultures. It's not something we can iron out of society, unfortunately.

I'd like the see citation. ...but not now; it's late here. If you get a chance, could you TG me a citation for one of his papers? Thanks in advance. (I'm not sure if I believe the claim, but I'm in no mental shape now to do serious critical reading of published research.)

The book is called The Mask of Sanity. It's old, but it's still worth considering.

Peddieville wrote:
1000 Cats wrote:All psychopaths (as defined by Hare's inventory) have ASPD as well, and all people with ASPD must have met criteria for conduct disorder (as defined by the DSM IV-TR). It's a neat little line showing how horrible a person you are. ;)

Hehe. And to clarify, I meant portions of the ASPD population outside of psychopaths.

Ah, OK. Got you.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Shofercia wrote:
Caninope wrote:But I just got Mass Effect 2!

My manliness demanded I wait until it was the cheapest it shall be- when the sequel came out!

You're saving money on Mass Effect? Whatcha saving it for, flowers or something? I'll take that manliness card now!

No, I'm saving it for steak. Gots to have me the good meat.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Fersceau
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Fersceau » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Sounds like old southern rape charges. A black man acused of a rape was not "guilty till proven innocent"; he was GUILTY.period

Eden-Osiris
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Eden-Osiris » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:1. Bringing up a woman's sexual history as if it's relevant to whether or not she was raped is a very common and highly misogynistic tactic used to dismiss all rape victims who aren't pretty little virgin white girls.

- Bringing up (anyones) (topical) history is ENTIRELY relevant when establishing the character of a person. If a (man) (stole lots of things) then if he was accused of (stealing things), this would hurt him greatly. If a (man) (lied repeatedly) then if he got up on the stand, his reputation and testimony would easily be weakened. Do know that if a woman has a histroy of consenting to sex with lots of people, she can also point out that she has a history of NOT accusing people of rape. It is not the mention of a person's sexual history, but the ASSUMPTION THAT A SEXUAL HISTORY IS BAD that is the misogynist attitude. That being YOURS.

Four-sided Triangles wrote:2. Fair enough. You shouldn't have sex in the middle of school.

- Unless you are two consenting adults who have found a private place and clean up afterwards. Then you should damn well go for it. Sex is not something to be ashamed of, nor is it bad.
Last edited by Eden-Osiris on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:54 pm

Fersceau wrote:Sounds like old southern rape charges. A black man acused of a rape was not "guilty till proven innocent"; he was GUILTY.period

Fair enough. I didn't consider this issue of intersectionality.

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:55 pm

The Grand World Order wrote:And "He's a man without an alibi so he must've raped her" isn't just as bad, if not worse?

In a total vacuum? Yes. In society with its present conditions? No.

You seriously believe that allowing women to send men to prison for whatever reason is just?
What if the two have a fight after sex or before it, and the woman decides that since the man doesn't have an alibi, she'll have him sent to prison for several years? When she calms down, she'll get in a LOT of trouble if she comes forward, so she'll probably not do anything. The innocent man who had a fight with his partner after consensual sex or before they were planning to have sex is now stuck in prison for several years and once he's out, his life will be ruined.
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:56 pm

So what are your proposals to lower rape in society. NSG?

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:57 pm

Tlaceceyaya wrote:You seriously believe that allowing women to send men to prison for whatever reason is just?
What if the two have a fight after sex or before it, and the woman decides that since the man doesn't have an alibi, she'll have him sent to prison for several years? When she calms down, she'll get in a LOT of trouble if she comes forward, so she'll probably not do anything. The innocent man who had a fight with his partner after consensual sex or before they were planning to have sex is now stuck in prison for several years and once he's out, his life will be ruined.

It's more utilitarian than just.

Tlaceceyaya
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tlaceceyaya » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:57 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:So what are your proposals to lower rape in society. NSG?

Education, encouraging women to come out about what happened to them, etc.
Definitely not allowing women to have the lives of men they dislike ruined.
Economic Left/Right -9.75, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian -8.87
Also, Bonobos.

Dimitri Tsafendas wrote:You are guilty not only when you commit a crime, but also when you do nothing to prevent it when you have the chance.

Fersceau
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Fersceau » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Fersceau wrote:Sounds like old southern rape charges. A black man acused of a rape was not "guilty till proven innocent"; he was GUILTY.period

Fair enough. I didn't consider this issue of intersectionality.

Not accusing it of well valed racism, but it certainly is not a good proposal.

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:58 pm

1000 Cats wrote:
Northwest Slobovia wrote:I'd like the see citation. ...but not now; it's late here. If you get a chance, could you TG me a citation for one of his papers? Thanks in advance. (I'm not sure if I believe the claim, but I'm in no mental shape now to do serious critical reading of published research.)

The book is called The Mask of Sanity. It's old, but it's still worth considering

Many thanks! I'm not sure when I'll have a chance to read a whole book, but I'll throw it on the pile. :)
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Miyager
Minister

Founded: Feb 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Miyager » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:58 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:No. Why on Earth would I acknowledge any sort of legitimacy of such an intellectually bankrupt idea with an argument? Mockery is all it deserves, and shock.

I think it's our moral duty to bend over backwards in order to help people who have been historically oppressed. If this means a few innocent men go to prison in order to greatly reduce rape, doesn't the end justify the means?

Please tell me you're joking. Please.
Last edited by Miyager on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm back I think.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General