NATION

PASSWORD

A Criminally Insane Man Goes to The Fair....

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Wilgrove
Post Czar

Founded: May 08, 2006
Ex-Nation

A Criminally Insane Man Goes to The Fair....

Postby Wilgrove » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:51 pm

Criminally insane killer disappears from fair

SPOKANE -- A criminally insane killer who strangled a woman because voices told him she was a witch has walked away from an Eastern State Hospital field trip to the Spokane Interstate Fair and may be trying to hitchhike home to Sunnyside.

Deputies have been combing the fairgrounds and the area within several blocks of the sprawling complex in search of Phillip Paul, 47, a man with a history of escape and assault in Spokane County in addition to being found criminally insane in the wake of the 1987 strangulation killing of an elderly Granger woman.

Paul was on a field trip to the fair with a group of Eastern State Hospital patients Thursday morning when he disappeared from the rest of his group. The rest of the patients from the group from Eastern State Hospital have been accounted for and taken from the fairgrounds.

The Spokane County Sheriff's Office acknowledges they are "dismayed" with Eastern State's Hospital reporting of Paul's disappearance. While he was reported missing at 1:14 PM apparently Eastern may have known Paul was missing as early as 11:30 AM, more than an hour and a half before they notified authorities about his disappearance.

"It appears now there was a two hour lapse from the point he disappeared from his attendant to the sheriff's office was notified of his escape and obviously that's a concern to us," Sgt. Reagan said. "We're concerned that we were not aware that people of his criminal history were being brought to the fair for day trips. As a courtesy we would have liked to have been notified ahead of time."

"Certainly as a matter of professional courtesy once he disappeared we feel the responsible thing would have been to have been immediately notified," Reagan continued. "As soon as we were notified within 30 minutes we had saturated the fairgrounds with security people and Spokane Valley police officers."

Reagan added that had notification been made to authorities by Eastern State Hospital in "a more timely fashion the odds of catching him would have been much greater."

Shortly before 4 PM the Sheriff's Officer reported they have a witness who says that Phillip Paul walked into a business located in the 3600 block of E. Springfield at 11:30. Authorities say they are between 80 and 85-percent sure this was an actual sighting of Paul.

The man they think might have been Paul was last seen walking westbound from the Sprague/ Trent corridor. Authorities think Paul, who has no money, may be attempting to hitchhike home to Sunnyside in the Yakima Valley where his parents live.

"His sister tells us he calls his parents in Sunnyside virtually every day and that if he's escaped he's headed home," Spokane County Sheriff Sergeant Dave Reagan said.

Paul is described as being 5'9", 207 lbs, Caucasian with brown hair and goatee. He was wearing blue jeans, a blue T-shirt and a red windbreaker.

Field Trip not approved by Fair officials

The fair director confirmed that they never received a request from Eastern State Hospital to have a group of their patients attend the fair
and they were unaware a group of patients were at the fair Thursday. Fair officials say they never would have approved such a request.

Eastern State Hospital has declined comment on the incident but Jim Stevenson at DSHS says that field trips are not uncommon. Stevenson says field trips are determined on a case-by-case basis by each patient's treatment team as to whether or not they can participate.

Stevenson said it has nothing to do with their crime but more to do with where they are in their treatment. The number of staff that goes on these field trips is determined by the number of patients that go.

Voices told him Granger woman was a witch

Paul was originally charged with murder in Yakima County in 1987 for the killing of 78-year-old Ruth Mottley in her home near Granger. He was later diagnosed as being criminally insane and suffering from schizophrenia and had been receiving treatment at Eastern State Hospital.

He claimed he heard voices which told him that Mottley was a witch and he strangled her to death.

State Department of Corrections officials confirm that Paul has spent all of his correctional time in mental health facilities such as Eastern State Hospital. Since he was put in the hospital for psychiatric care he has received several opportunities to get out of the hospital.

In 1996 a judge ruled that Paul could attend Spokane Community College during the day as long as he returned back to the hospital at night. Two years later Judge Michael Leavitt ruled Paul could have overnight visits in Spokane as long as he was with an adult member of his family.

Link

What I want to know is...why? Why would you take a criminally insane man....to the fair? Who the Hell thought this was a good idea?

I hope someone gets fire over this.

Parthenon
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Parthenon » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:59 pm

Thought this was going to be another Obama thread, my mistake :P

That being said, perhaps they should have a field day at the asylum from time to time? It would certainly keep them on their toes.
The Parthenese Confederation
Parthenon
Intergallactic Hell
The Bleeding Roses
West Parthenon
Former GDODAD/Metus Member

Charlotte Ryberg
The Muse of the Westcountry

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Charlotte Ryberg » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:59 pm

I don't know how to say about this, but what I feel that the trip should have never been planned for reasons of safety anyway. :palm:

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:00 pm

Great, now I picture a bunch of crazily insane men on a merry go-round.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Yootopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootopia » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:00 pm

Wilgrove wrote:Why would you take a criminally insane man....to the fair?

Because if there's anything worse than a nutter, it's a bored nutter.
End the Modigarchy now.

Samatolian City-States
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Samatolian City-States » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:02 pm

It is likely that the supervision at the fair was less than satisfactory. This, however, does not demonstrate a need for tighter laws.
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Corruption is evil. Therefore, power is evil. Absolute power is absolute evil.

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ
Minister

Founded: Apr 04, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:03 pm

He'll probably take his insane friends out on a fishing boat.
You-Gi-Owe wrote:I hate all "spin doctoring". I don't mind honest disagreement and it's possible that people are expressing honest opinions, but spin doctoring is so pervasive, I gotta ask if I suspect it.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:03 pm

Geniasis wrote:Great, now I picture a bunch of crazily insane men on a merry go-round.

Nah, that's just the ride operators. :P

La Rosa Nera
Secretary

Founded: Jul 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby La Rosa Nera » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:04 pm

While i see the point of the hospital, i also see the point of the fair grounds.
The hospital is trying to treat people so that they can rejoin society. I consider that a very positive direction to take, but they did not inform the fair grounds about it. That is gross irresponsibility and negligence on their part.
The fairgrounds people had a good point about the notification, but upon looking and understanding about the crimes some of these patients committed. Then not allowing them to attend the fair. I feel thats a rather ignorant way of dealing with things. Which is probably why the hospital didn't tell them to start with.
Point being that yeah someone should catch hell over it. Not just on the hospital side, but the fair side as well. The hospital because they didn't get permission for it.
The fairgrounds because they would have been too ignorant and worried about profit to try and help people rejoin society in a positive manner.

now to answer your question. People who have faith in humanity take a criminally insane man to the fair, because some people believe everyone can be rehabilitated. I know that most people can be, but given a particularly rough case of any mental disorder sometimes the people are beyond helping.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:04 pm

Yootopia wrote:
Wilgrove wrote:Why would you take a criminally insane man....to the fair?

Because if there's anything worse than a nutter, it's a bored nutter.

Idle hands is the Devil's workshop?

Well, why not have them join a chain gang and pick up trash off the Highway? Why let mentally unbalanced people go to the fair where you know, there's children, and families etc.

Tech-gnosis
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 03, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Tech-gnosis » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:05 pm

Parthenon wrote:Thought this was going to be another Obama thread, my mistake :P

And here I assume it was some Neo-con. If they had said criminally insane woman the chances of it being Sarah Palin would have been over 99%.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:06 pm

NotnotgnimmiJymmiJ wrote:He'll probably take his insane friends out on a fishing boat.

I'm not getting the reference.

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:06 pm

Tech-gnosis wrote:
Parthenon wrote:Thought this was going to be another Obama thread, my mistake :P

And here I assume it was some Neo-con. If they had said criminally insane woman the chances of it being Sarah Palin would have been over 99%.

Ok, can we please keep politics out of this?

Tech-gnosis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tech-gnosis » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:10 pm

Wilgrove wrote:Ok, can we please keep politics out of this?

Anything's possible.

North Suran
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:12 pm

Wilgrove wrote:
Tech-gnosis wrote:

Ok, can we please keep politics out of this?

At the risk of sounding like a 5-year old, good ol' Parthy started it with his intentionally inflammatory aside.

But as such, best to let it drop, 'lest we give him the satisfaction of a derail.
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:12 pm

Which NSG poster do you think he was? Looking at the cannibalism thread(viewtopic.php?f=20&t=16991) and some of the more reality defying posters... I suspect a few of us are in well padded facilities (Except when we have field trips to the fair!)

But seriously this is sick. I'm sure the guy is actually a nice man when he gets his medicine but people like this are just unable to function without supervision. He should not have been authorized to go to the fair unless 3 or more guards were right beside him at all times ready to tackle if he tried to escape.

Someone made a huge mistake. I hope his meds to not wear off while he is in someones car who picked him up hitch hiking :(
Did you see a ghost?

Wilgrove
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Wilgrove » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:15 pm

Natapoc wrote: I hope his meds to not wear off while he is in someones car who picked him up hitch hiking :(

People still pick up hitch hikers? I thought we were suppose to run them over for 10 points.

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:17 pm

Wilgrove wrote:
Natapoc wrote: I hope his meds to not wear off while he is in someones car who picked him up hitch hiking :(

People still pick up hitch hikers? I thought we were suppose to run them over for 10 points.

Yeah especially truckers tend to be willing to pick people up. I know people who have hitch hiked all over the US from coast to coast.
Did you see a ghost?

Poliwanacraca
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Poliwanacraca » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:04 pm

Could people possibly refrain from referring to the mentally ill as "nutters," "loonies," and so forth? It's incredibly offensive.

As for this story, I see no reason why the fair needed to be notified that patients would be attending. Yes, mental illness can sometimes cause someone to be a danger to others. Standing next to an epileptic when they have a seizure could probably be dangerous, too, but we would quite rightly be disgusted if a public event refused admittance to epileptics, let alone epileptics under direct medical supervision.

Now, obviously this particular patient wasn't adequately supervised, seeing as he was able to wander off without anyone knowing, and I'm sure whoever was supposed to be preventing that is going to get in some serious trouble over it.
"You know...I've just realized that "Poliwanacraca" is, when rendered in Arabic, an anagram for "Bom-chica-wohw-waaaow", the famous "sexy riff" that was born in the 70's and will live forever..." - Hammurab
----
"Extortion is such a nasty word.
I much prefer 'magnolia'. 'Magnolia' is a much nicer word." - Saint Clair Island

----
"Go forth my snarky diaper babies, and CONQUER!" - Neo Art

Muravyets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 18, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Muravyets » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:20 pm

Poliwanacraca wrote:Could people possibly refrain from referring to the mentally ill as "nutters," "loonies," and so forth? It's incredibly offensive.

As for this story, I see no reason why the fair needed to be notified that patients would be attending. Yes, mental illness can sometimes cause someone to be a danger to others. Standing next to an epileptic when they have a seizure could probably be dangerous, too, but we would quite rightly be disgusted if a public event refused admittance to epileptics, let alone epileptics under direct medical supervision.

Now, obviously this particular patient wasn't adequately supervised, seeing as he was able to wander off without anyone knowing, and I'm sure whoever was supposed to be preventing that is going to get in some serious trouble over it.

Granted, but in this particular and isolated case, we are not talking about just anyone with mental illness. We are talking about a person who had a history of violence up to and including murder associated with his schizophrenia AND a history of escaping from this hospital's care.

If they want to experiment with resocializing him to see how treatment of his schizophrenia is progressing, that's one thing. NOT notifying the police that they were bringing him on the trip so that they could be prepared in case he did escape again was incredibly and irresponsibly stupid on the part of the hospital, in my opinion.

This was not just any patient. Surely it should be possible to discuss the advisability of treating the criminally insane in this manner, without demonizing all people with mental illness.

And yes, tossing off words like "nutter" and "loon" don't help when the topic is serious.
Kick back at Cafe Muravyets
And check out my other RP, too. (Don't take others' word for it -- see for yourself. ;) )
I agree with Muravyets because she scares me. -- Verdigroth
However, I am still not the topic of this thread.

Tech-gnosis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tech-gnosis » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:32 pm

Poliwanacraca wrote:Could people possibly refrain from referring to the mentally ill as "nutters," "loonies," and so forth? It's incredibly offensive.

Where in this thread were such terms used to refer to the mentally ill.

Pevisopolis
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Pevisopolis » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:34 pm

There is such a thing as taking too much of an obsession with the "Dark Lord".
Jesus God almighty man, look at that lot over there! They've spotted us!

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:37 pm

Sounds like the plot to a weak horror film, really.
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

Weylara
Ambassador

Founded: May 09, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Weylara » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:37 pm

Well, even lunatics enjoy fresh air.

Tagmatium
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 17, 2004
Authoritarian Democracy

Postby Tagmatium » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Weylara wrote:Well, even lunatics enjoy fresh air.

And the tea-cup ride. Don't forget the tea-cup ride.
The above post may or may not be serious.
"For too long, we have been a passive, tolerant society, saying to our citizens: as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone."
North Calaveras wrote:Tagmatium, it was never about pie...

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General