NATION

PASSWORD

The Partition of India

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Caspiana (Ancient)
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Caspiana (Ancient) » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:52 pm

What a weird coincidence, I'm watching Gandhi now! But anyway, I think they should have voted on it, or just had a look at the general opinion, but I'm undecided on the actual question

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Caninope wrote:Well, it would have been best if the British had stayed around for a while to stabilize the region, but that probably would have ended with India becoming a bit like Canada; sort of under Britain's rule for a while, before becoming an independent state with the same monarch.

As it stands, I feel like the partition was probably the best thing that could have come out of full withdrawal from the colonies in India.

Caninope, where've you been!?

Anyway, the British left precisely because there was an administrative breakdown, because they didn't really have the manpower to contain Hindu-Muslim violence, nor the ability to force a compromise between the Muslim League and the National Congress. Contrary to what Attlee said, the British did not have a long standing policy of gradually granting self government to the Raj; if they could have held on to it, they would have.
Taking a break.

Free foundation
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Free foundation » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:56 pm

Pingxiang wrote:
Free foundation wrote:ur views seem excessively biased even for a china fan.

Biased in what way. Large nations are always pushing around small ones. Only by outsmarting the big nations can small nations, especially buffer States, survive. In the former Kingdom of Sikkim they miscalculated and paid the price.

And when it comes to China, there South China Sea policy is kind of overdoing it when it comes to trespassing into the Philippines territorial waters in the Western Philippine Sea. However, Chinas land border agreements have been an example to follow.

It was the Chinese aggression in Tibet and war against India which forced India to give up the policy of non intervention. Also such policies were followed by only one prime minister Indira Gandhi. India has left interventionist role since her death. There were no grand designs of Indian hegemony before her nor after her. China on the other hand not only usurped Tibet, but also has disregarded all the treaties made by Tibet with its neighbors only to prove that Tibet was never an independent state. In what way the you are implying that China's land border agreements have been exemplary? It is much more to the credit of India that people of Sikkim , Bhutan and Nepal do not have to suffer the fate of Tibetans.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:03 pm

EnragedMaldivians wrote:
Caninope wrote:Well, it would have been best if the British had stayed around for a while to stabilize the region, but that probably would have ended with India becoming a bit like Canada; sort of under Britain's rule for a while, before becoming an independent state with the same monarch.

As it stands, I feel like the partition was probably the best thing that could have come out of full withdrawal from the colonies in India.

Anyway, the British left precisely because there was an administrative breakdown, because they didn't really have the manpower to contain Hindu-Muslim violence, nor the ability to force a compromise between the Muslim League and the National Congress. Contrary to what Attlee said, the British did not have a long standing policy of gradually granting self government to the Raj; if they could have held on to it, they would have.

Here and there. Oh, and dealing with lots of work and lack of sleep, mostly. Translation: Lurking.

I'm not saying that a partition wouldn't have occurred in the Indian subcontinent anyways, I'm just saying that this particular situation of partition wasn't the best possible solution. If the British had the will to involve other nations (such as the US) it's possible that they could have brought some sort of temporary peace to the region. Of course, I'm not an expert in that region, so it's possible I could be wrong.

But as to what you say, I know the British didn't have a policy of granting self government to the Raj. It was, after all, the crown jewel of the Empire, the home away from the British homeland. There's absolutely no reason to assume that they would have gave up that power if that didn't have the chance. What they should have done was to do something similar to what happened in Canada; gradual independence (which didn't end in full constitutional independence for Canada until 1987, IIRC).

I'm of the opinion that slowly granting self government would have been better. The violence in the Irish Civil War should have taught the Brits that you can't just partition a region and hope nothing bad comes of it.

EDIT: I should also add that the Irish Civil War, paradoxically, came about because of gradualization of Irish home rule. It should be noted that the gradualists (supporters of the Irish Free State) won though.
Last edited by Caninope on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:13 pm

Caninope wrote:
EnragedMaldivians wrote:

Here and there. Oh, and dealing with lots of work and lack of sleep, mostly. Translation: Lurking.

I'm not saying that a partition wouldn't have occurred in the Indian subcontinent anyways, I'm just saying that this particular situation of partition wasn't the best possible solution. If the British had the will to involve other nations (such as the US) it's possible that they could have brought some sort of temporary peace to the region. Of course, I'm not an expert in that region, so it's possible I could be wrong.

But as to what you say, I know the British didn't have a policy of granting self government to the Raj. It was, after all, the crown jewel of the Empire, the home away from the British homeland. There's absolutely no reason to assume that they would have gave up that power if that didn't have the chance. What they should have done was to do something similar to what happened in Canada; gradual independence (which didn't end in full constitutional independence for Canada until 1987, IIRC).

I'm of the opinion that slowly granting self government would have been better. The violence in the Irish Civil War should have taught the Brits that you can't just partition a region and hope nothing bad comes of it.

Aaah; isn't college wonderful. :lol:

Even that wasn't an option, given the speed with which they were losing control. You might like this article:

http://www.jstor.org/stable/40105370?seq=1

To quote an excerpt:

A closer examination of the events leading up to the 20th of February suggests that....the labor governments decision to transfer power was not motivated by any strong commitment to Indian independence, but precipitated by an administrative breakdown which the British felt was beyond their control.

Though I'm not really sure how it would have played out if they asked for American assistance; my gut tells me that it probably would not have helped much, but it's not something I've ever considered in depth to be honest.
Last edited by EnragedMaldivians on Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taking a break.

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:17 pm

EnragedMaldivians wrote:Though I'm not really sure how it would have played out if they asked for American assistance; my gut tells me that it probably would not have helped much, but it's not something I've ever considered in depth to be honest.

Better India than French Indochina.

That's my personal view on American involvement on South and Southeast Asia.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Pingxiang
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pingxiang » Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:24 pm

Free foundation wrote: It was the Chinese aggression in Tibet and war against India which forced India to give up the policy of non intervention. Also such policies were followed by only one prime minister Indira Gandhi. India has left interventionist role since her death. There were no grand designs of Indian hegemony before her nor after her. China on the other hand not only usurped Tibet, but also has disregarded all the treaties made by Tibet with its neighbors only to prove that Tibet was never an independent state. In what way the you are implying that China's land border agreements have been exemplary? It is much more to the credit of India that people of Sikkim , Bhutan and Nepal do not have to suffer the fate of Tibetans.

What fate. Tibet is being modernized. It took China for the Tibetian nomads to have well built homes instead of those tents. They love there new homes. In nomad society women do most of the work and many of them prefer a job to being a nomad. Also, they want better conditions including education for there children which being a nomad cannot provide. Tibet has always been part of China. Going back to the Empire age.

And Chinas border treaty with Russia, Central Asia and SE Asia have been a success. China had larger claims with some of those nations but gave the majority of those claims up in order to sign a friendship treaty which would benefit all involved. Only one really left is India.

Aksai Chin was never part of India. It was part of Tibet which was part of the Qing Empire. It was the UK. which claimed that part. At this time the European powers were assaulting China.
The era of the late 19th century and the early 20th century was ripe with the European colonial powers finding new ways of exerting their influence in Asia and dividing it up. Tibet was no exception. For years, many kings and empires, from Muhammad Tukluq to the British, had tried to wrench Tibet from China, with no significant successes.
Finally, the British came up with an underhand ploy to divide Tibet from within; so as to create a buffer state between British India and China; just as Mongolia had been divided and part of it made into a buffer between Russia and China. Sir Henry McMahon proposed the division of Tibet into an ‘inner’ and ‘outer’ Tibet. The Chinese representative saw through British imperial designs and smelt a rat; and thus left the Simla conference.

But the matter didn’t end there. A note was appended to the Simla accord, which contained a map showing a part of Tibetan territory as Indian, based on a thick red line known as the McMahon line. Furthermore, China was barred from any rights and privileges of the Accord with respect to Tibet.

Read this - http://blog.foolsmountain.com/2010/03/2 ... -of-tibet/

Free foundation
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Free foundation » Sat Mar 10, 2012 4:28 pm

Politically oppressed, culturally destroyed and ethnically marginalized can not be called a great fate for Tibetans in spite of all fancy plumbings arriving from China.
Qing empire was essentially Mongolian empire. Tibet was free from China before Qing dynasty. Since the Qing dynasty had collapsed/lost the power to control Tibet at the time of Simla conference ,Chinese claim that Tibet was still part of China is only a rhetoric to prove their occupation of Tibet justified. India has the claim to Aksai chin because it was won by Maharaja of Kashmir.
Though I agree with u that part of the problem lies with colonial powers who had neither motive nor credibility to solve issues permanently.

Spiral Sun
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Spiral Sun » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:03 am

I for one am glad that the Chinese outed the feudalistic, theocratic Lamaists.
You're so nice.
You're not good,
You're not bad,
You're just nice.
I'm not good,
I'm not nice,
I'm just right.
The Witch, Into the Woods

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:45 am

Spiral Sun wrote:I for one am glad that the Chinese outed the feudalistic, theocratic Lamaists.

Yeah, but the Tibetans supported the Lamaists.

In fact, they still do.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Pingxiang
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pingxiang » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:51 am

Keronians wrote:
Spiral Sun wrote:I for one am glad that the Chinese outed the feudalistic, theocratic Lamaists.

In fact, they still do.

But the Lamaist are divided against there leader.

Watch this short video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThCz77R56I4

A longer more informed video from Swiss Public TV -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_zkwfyC ... re=related

Spiral Sun
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Spiral Sun » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:20 am

Keronians wrote:

In fact, they still do.

That's because they are too long to know how it was like. Look how the Burma, Nepal, Cambodia, and the like ended up. Not all Buddhists are nice.
You're so nice.
You're not good,
You're not bad,
You're just nice.
I'm not good,
I'm not nice,
I'm just right.

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:29 am

EnragedMaldivians wrote:Contrary to what Attlee said, the British did not have a long standing policy of gradually granting self government to the Raj; if they could have held on to it, they would have.

Not really, seeing as it was made a lot more independent in the thirties, and Cripps' wartime offer (when he was deputy PM, no less) was pretty clear about generally sorting the rest of it out.
Technically a Polanski.

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:35 am

Keronians wrote:

In fact, they still do.

Yeah but if you look at the Potala Palace for even a second you can kinda tell the Tibetan ancien régime was not so friendly and democratic.
Technically a Polanski.

Spiral Sun
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Spiral Sun » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:53 am

Yootwopia wrote:
EnragedMaldivians wrote:Contrary to what Attlee said, the British did not have a long standing policy of gradually granting self government to the Raj; if they could have held on to it, they would have.

Not really, seeing as it was made a lot more independent in the thirties, and Cripps' wartime offer (when he was deputy PM, no less) was pretty clear about generally sorting the rest of it out.

I read somewhere that the modernization of India had been put on hold when some revolts came about against progressiveness (at least that is how some spun it be the motives), as well as slaughternig British civilians. They even where against Christian missionaries trying to convert, as they viewed it as offending the locals. Also makes a fair bit of sense, as it showed the hypocrisy of the colonial elite. There were also many instances of missionaries trying to help the locals, like with British missionaries trying to stop the opium trade, a Russian priest refusing to abandon hundreds of Chinese Christians for the safety of the Foreign Quarter during the Boxer Revolt, and a writing campaign by American missionaries to their hometowns to stop the Chinese being forced into unfair railway deals, leading to Congress getting involved to stop it.
You're so nice.
You're not good,
You're not bad,
You're just nice.
I'm not good,
I'm not nice,
I'm just right.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General