NATION

PASSWORD

The Wingnut Singularity

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:55 am

Daistallia 2104 wrote:The GOP has been developing this direction since the late 60s rather than since 9/11. The statr was with Nixon's Southern Strategy, the Dixiecrats move to the GOP, and that realignment. The sexual counter-revolution of the 70s also added to movement conservatism. The Neocon attempt to hijack it has basically failed.

what fascinates me is how much damage the slaver scum were able to do when they switched parties. they blocked a hell of a lot of good from getting done during their time in the post-reconstruction democratic party (which was utterly their own thing). but they were always in a bit of a rearguard defense against the populists and progressives who quickly consolidated their gains in the party. i mean, al smith nearly got an anti-kkk plank into the platform way back in 1924. but as soon as they were tempted to really join the republican party, rather than just take part in the conservative coalition, they were the ones actively taking over and controlling the agenda.

Vousielle
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 05, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Vousielle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:59 am

As it is the Democratic party stretches from left to center-right, while the Republicans keep moving right. This is primarily why I'm willing to bank on a Democratic victory this go-round.
I LIVE AGAIN

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:04 am

Fluffy Coyotes wrote:
Raeyh wrote:
Third party candidates never get elected. He might as well vote Democratic, it would have the same effect.

Not with that attitude. In Canada, Jack Layton used to be third party but made it to 2nd place last election.

The value of all votes at a collective level depends on what the average voter does at an individual level. Saying "that vote would have the same effect, so I may as well not vote for X party" is like saying "my vote won't have much effect, so I may as well not vote at all."

except that Canada has had three parties that win seats for quite some time (and then there's the bloc Quebecois). Even our green party has,on occasion, gotten a seat or two at the federal level. This is because we don't have your whole electoral college craziness thing going on.
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:12 am

DaWoad wrote:
Fluffy Coyotes wrote:Not with that attitude. In Canada, Jack Layton used to be third party but made it to 2nd place last election.

The value of all votes at a collective level depends on what the average voter does at an individual level. Saying "that vote would have the same effect, so I may as well not vote for X party" is like saying "my vote won't have much effect, so I may as well not vote at all."

except that Canada has had three parties that win seats for quite some time (and then there's the bloc Quebecois). Even our green party has,on occasion, gotten a seat or two at the federal level. This is because we don't have your whole electoral college craziness thing going on.

It isn't the Electoral College that keeps minor parties minor, it's their obsession with the presidency. And the fact that they invariably run wingnuts.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Sulfar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sulfar » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:15 am

DaWoad wrote:
Fluffy Coyotes wrote:Not with that attitude. In Canada, Jack Layton used to be third party but made it to 2nd place last election.

It's the first time that the Greens got a seat in the House of Commons, sir (Blair Wilson doesn't count). And there was 4 parties including the Bloc, it just got decimated in the last election.
Also, the NDP has been brought to official opposition because of Quebec, and I'm willing to be as a Quebecer myself that the NDP won't get as much seats as in May 2011, since Jack Layton is gone ;)

I don't think it's entirely because of the electoral college.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:21 am

Sulfar wrote:
DaWoad wrote:except that Canada has had three parties that win seats for quite some time (and then there's the bloc Quebecois). Even our green party has,on occasion, gotten a seat or two at the federal level. This is because we don't have your whole electoral college craziness thing going on.

It's the first time that the Greens got a seat in the House of Commons, sir (Blair Wilson doesn't count). And there was 4 parties including the Bloc, it just got decimated in the last election.
Also, the NDP has been brought to official opposition because of Quebec, and I'm willing to be as a Quebecer myself that the NDP won't get as much seats as in May 2011, since Jack Layton is gone ;)

well if you think about our system compared to theirs, it takes a lot less to get a seat in the house of commons than it would to get 50% +1 of the vote in a state?
To get a seat in the house of commons you basically just have to run an effective campaign targeting about 100 000 ish people whereas winning over a whole bloody state . .. .
I'm never quite sure what to call the bloc given that, outside of quebec, you can't vote for it :\

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:22 am

Farnhamia wrote:
DaWoad wrote:except that Canada has had three parties that win seats for quite some time (and then there's the bloc Quebecois). Even our green party has,on occasion, gotten a seat or two at the federal level. This is because we don't have your whole electoral college craziness thing going on.

It isn't the Electoral College that keeps minor parties minor, it's their obsession with the presidency. And the fact that they invariably run wingnuts.

er, can you explain a little more?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:24 am

DaWoad wrote:
Sulfar wrote:It's the first time that the Greens got a seat in the House of Commons, sir (Blair Wilson doesn't count). And there was 4 parties including the Bloc, it just got decimated in the last election.

well if you think about our system compared to theirs, it takes a lot less to get a seat in the house of commons than it would to get 50% +1 of the vote in a state?
To get a seat in the house of commons you basically just have to run an effective campaign targeting about 100 000 ish people whereas winning over a whole bloody state . .. .
I'm never quite sure what to call the bloc given that, outside of quebec, you can't vote for it :\

The Electoral College only comes into play in electing the President. Everything else is simple majority, right on down to the local level. To get a seat in the House of Representatives all you have to win is a specific congressional district, not the whole state. That's the same for state legislative offices, too.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:26 am

DaWoad wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:It isn't the Electoral College that keeps minor parties minor, it's their obsession with the presidency. And the fact that they invariably run wingnuts.

er, can you explain a little more?

Sure.

http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=8646074#p8646074
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=8646250#p8646250

Sulfar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sulfar » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:29 am

DaWoad wrote:
Sulfar wrote:It's the first time that the Greens got a seat in the House of Commons, sir (Blair Wilson doesn't count). And there was 4 parties including the Bloc, it just got decimated in the last election.

The Bloc is (was? 4 seats now) a party. It has been the Official Opposition once :p
And yes, I agree with you. I'm just saying that normally, even with the third parties, the Liberals and the Conservatives pretty much control Parliament.

Fnordgasm 5
Senator

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Fnordgasm 5 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:46 am

What happened to the reasonable, intelligent Republicans? I know they exist, I've seen them on this forum and on the TV, yet they all seem to have fallen silent. I look across the pond and I don't know whether they're just not getting heard or if they are keeping their heads down because I just don't see them. It appears that their party has been stolen from them and it doesn't appear that they are doing anything about it. Is it the media? Are they not giving any time to these people? How did it come down to Gringrich, Paul, Romney and Santorum?
Fnordgasm 5 is a twat.

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:05 am

Fnordgasm 5 wrote:What happened to the reasonable, intelligent Republicans? I know they exist, I've seen them on this forum and on the TV, yet they all seem to have fallen silent. I look across the pond and I don't know whether they're just not getting heard or if they are keeping their heads down because I just don't see them. It appears that their party has been stolen from them and it doesn't appear that they are doing anything about it. Is it the media? Are they not giving any time to these people? How did it come down to Gringrich, Paul, Romney and Santorum?

i suspect that for the big names and those whose incomes are directly tied to the conservative movement machine, keeping their heads down seems like the only reasonable course of action. numerous figures in otherwise good conservative standing have been drummed out of the movement for even minor bits of apostasy. and i mean that in the sense of losing long-held electoral seats or positions at movement propaganda organs and policy organizations. if you want a job with the conservatives, you don't want to piss off the base or come out against the base's candidates. because what if they win?

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:11 am

Fluffy Coyotes wrote:
Raeyh wrote:
There is no alternate conservative party for him to vote for, obviously.

Ever heard of the Libertarian party? Or the Constitution party?

the libertarian party is only good on paper (if you ignore stupid stuff like the gold standard and alternate currencies)

teh constitution party is only for theocrats.
whatever

Fnordgasm 5
Senator

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Fnordgasm 5 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:31 am

Free Soviets wrote:
Fnordgasm 5 wrote:What happened to the reasonable, intelligent Republicans? I know they exist, I've seen them on this forum and on the TV, yet they all seem to have fallen silent. I look across the pond and I don't know whether they're just not getting heard or if they are keeping their heads down because I just don't see them. It appears that their party has been stolen from them and it doesn't appear that they are doing anything about it. Is it the media? Are they not giving any time to these people? How did it come down to Gringrich, Paul, Romney and Santorum?

i suspect that for the big names and those whose incomes are directly tied to the conservative movement machine, keeping their heads down seems like the only reasonable course of action. numerous figures in otherwise good conservative standing have been drummed out of the movement for even minor bits of apostasy. and i mean that in the sense of losing long-held electoral seats or positions at movement propaganda organs and policy organizations. if you want a job with the conservatives, you don't want to piss off the base or come out against the base's candidates. because what if they win?

It seems to me that the best thing for the US is if Santorum won the nomination and then lost to Obama because then the Republicans might realise that this quest for "ideological purity" is harming them. I worry that when Romney wins the nomination and loses to Obama it may force the Republicans further to the right or even worse, persuade some to pursue "2nd Amendment Solutions".

I suppose there's also a chance of Romney winning the election but I can't imagine what the repercussions of that happening are. I just can't separate the man himself from the right-wing demagoguery he's been spouting to win this nomination.

All this drama makes me kinda appreciate Britain's politicians better.
Fnordgasm 5 is a twat.

Fluffy Coyotes
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Fluffy Coyotes » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:57 am

Ashmoria wrote:
Fluffy Coyotes wrote:Ever heard of the Libertarian party? Or the Constitution party?

the libertarian party is only good on paper (if you ignore stupid stuff like the gold standard and alternate currencies)

That could be said about any party. We're not sure until we try.

More to the point, though, it would help draw votes (theocrat votes, etc...) away from the Republican party. For example, if Santorum turns out to win the nomination, the Constitution could cite his party animal persona from college to make him out to be insincere in his religious beliefs, etc... so as to convince some of the theocrats that the Constitution party is more trustworthy than Republicans.
Last edited by Fluffy Coyotes on Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:58 am, edited 3 times in total.
Nazi Flower Power wrote:If the teachings of Christ can't get his followers to behave peacefully, then he obviously did not teach them very well.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:00 pm

Fluffy Coyotes wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:the libertarian party is only good on paper (if you ignore stupid stuff like the gold standard and alternate currencies)

That could be said about any party. We're not sure until we try.

More to the point, though, it would help draw votes (theocrat votes, etc...) away from the Republican party. For example, if Santorum turns out to win the nomination, the Constitution could cite his party animal persona from college to make him out to be insincere in his religious beliefs, etc... so as to convince some of the theocrats that the Constitution party is more trustworthy than Republicans.

when the libertarian party stops being crazy im sure it will draw more support.

until then it makes no sense to suggest that people move from the party of crazy to a party of even crazier.
whatever

Fluffy Coyotes
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Fluffy Coyotes » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:02 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Fluffy Coyotes wrote:That could be said about any party. We're not sure until we try.

until then it makes no sense to suggest that people move from the party of crazy to a party of even crazier.

Exploring alternative currencies is "even crazier" than today's Republicans? I doubt it.
Nazi Flower Power wrote:If the teachings of Christ can't get his followers to behave peacefully, then he obviously did not teach them very well.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:10 pm

just to be clear, in the states, to get a seat in the house of representatives at a federal level all you have to do is win a congressional district?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:10 pm

DaWoad wrote:

just to be clear, in the states, to get a seat in the house of representatives at a federal level all you have to do is win a congressional district?

Correct.

Yootwopia
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Yootwopia » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:11 pm

Fluffy Coyotes wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

Exploring alternative currencies is "even crazier" than today's Republicans? I doubt it.

You know what wasn't great?

People being paid in company scrips in the 19th century.
Technically a Polanski.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:30 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
DaWoad wrote:just to be clear, in the states, to get a seat in the house of representatives at a federal level all you have to do is win a congressional district?

Correct.

thanks farn :). HUuh, okay that makes no bloody sense, you'd think third party candiadates would want to focus local rather than running a race they couldn't possibly win . . . . are there funding incentives for doing things the way they are or something?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:25 pm

DaWoad wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Correct.

thanks farn :). HUuh, okay that makes no bloody sense, you'd think third party candiadates would want to focus local rather than running a race they couldn't possibly win . . . . are there funding incentives for doing things the way they are or something?

Nope, no funding incentives that I know of. They're just that dumb.

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:40 pm

Farnhamia wrote:

Be fair. Some of them run moonbats.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:47 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:It isn't the Electoral College that keeps minor parties minor, it's their obsession with the presidency. And the fact that they invariably run wingnuts.

Be fair. Some of them run moonbats.

Truly. And mooncalves, too.

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:51 pm

Lizardiar wrote:Would it be possible for a right-leaning individual to give an opinion or will it just be shut down with several
"YOU REPUBLICAN, YOU IS TEH STUPID AND EBIL!"
:roll:

The Republican party is judged for few individuals, not the enitre party. Simply because one does not agree with you doesn't mean they are stupid, radical, or insane. I support Ron Paul, but I'm not going to go out, bang on every door at 4 AM to remind people to vote for him. No, I am going to advocate for him with groups of friends or other people and go vote. Sanotrum, i don't agree with, but I don't consider him a radical, he has some pretty out-there ideas and beliefs, but I'm not going to just be against him because of the things he says. All politicians are flawed. That's our system. Obama, Pelosi, and Biden have made mistakes and said the wrong things, yet there isn't an outstanding hatred of them. There isn't nitpicking on the scale of the ones agaisnt the Right-leaning, or republican individuals.
An arguement without debate is just a statement.

There's a difference between making a mistake and making a policy decision. Obama will occasionally make a mistake, while the GOP's entire platform is wrong.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General