NATION

PASSWORD

The Wingnut Singularity

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

The Wingnut Singularity

Postby Free Soviets » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:24 am

you may have noticed that the crazy of the american right seems to be increasing. it would be hard not to have picked up on that, honestly. but it is sometimes difficult to remember the rate of change. as the insanity of the right kicked into overdrive in the lead up to a black man getting elected president, john cole wondered if maybe we had reached the peak of wingnuttery, after which they couldn't help but recede. this, of course, was immediately proven false by the creation of yet more absurdity, followed by perpetual poutrage over obama's choice of mustard or whatever. perhaps wingnut was a renewable resource?

but no. an honest look at the course of right wing shit-losing can only suggest that it is a self-sustaining, catastrophic chain reaction. the lunacy has no peak, it just goes to infinity. ASB had a good overview of the concept a bit back:

Alien Space Bats wrote:My earlier point regarding Bush stands: Like a massive snow sheet gradually giving way, the rightward drift of the GOP has gone from something that was only measurable in inches per season as something we can watch unfold before our very eyes. The Republican Party is further to the right than it was a couple weeks ago, and this after a rightward drift since the start of last year that is staggering. To continue with my previous metaphor, anyone who doesn't see an avalanche starting is blind.

Thus, we now find ourselves confronted by a GOP that would have never nominated Dwight David Eisenhower (supported union rights, social security, and mandatory school busing), Barry S. Goldwater (supported gay rights, albeit at the State level), Richard M. Nixon (supported the Clean Air Act [and would have supported the Clean Water Act if the bill hadn't been so full of pork] as well as the creation of the EPA, supported the Earned Income Credit, supported universal health care, and opposed the use of U.S. forces in Asian ground wars - freakin' hippie!), Gerald R. Ford (was pro-life and supported an Equal Rights Amendment, as well as equal pay for women), Ronald R. Reagan (raised taxes on capital gains and increased the national debt), George H. W. Bush (supported cap and trade and raised taxes), Robert J. Dole (supported the universal health insurance mandate and food stamps), and George W. Bush (extended Medicare to cover prescriptions for seniors and raised the debt ceiling).

In short, today's Republican Party finds every single Republican President and Presidential Nominee since the end of the Second World War unacceptably liberal and therefore a RINO, and would reject every one of them in favor of someone more "authentically" conservative.

No, this is not your grandfathers' GOP; it's not your father's GOP; it's not even last year's GOP, or yesterday's GOP. The daily progression of jaw-dropping, face-slapping inanities has reached critical mass, leaving those of us on the outside of the movement with mouths agape and faces stinging.

And I don't think they're done yet. This movement won't stop until the GOP has slid to rest amidst a debris field of full-blown, batshit-crazy neo-McCarthyist Bircher Birther Christian Reconstructionist madness that will make Margaret Atwood look cautious in her prognostication.

It's like watching a planet get consumed by a singularity.

and he's not exaggerating. we are now talking about a party where frothy rick santorum accidentally found himself to the left of the wingnut base on contraception a few weeks back. i am not kidding. he had to do a complete 180 and go from defending himself from the asprin-between-the-legs 'joke' of his owner by citing his support for federal contraception funding via title X, to literally five days later denying it. and not simply having a change of heart. oh no:
“It’s funny that I’ve been criticized by Governor Romney and by Ron Paul for having voted for something called Title X, which is actually federal funding of contraception,” Santorum told CBS’s Charlie Rose. “My public policy beliefs are that contraception should be available. Again, I’ve supported Title X funding.”

Excellent. Except, here is Santorum, five days later, at the Arizona presidential debate:

“As Congressman Paul knows, I opposed Title X funding. I’ve always opposed Title X funding, but it’s included in a large appropriation bill that includes a whole host of other things,” Santorum said.

the only question i have is how does it end? does the wingnut singularity collapse in on itself and, as long as you avoid the event horizon, you'll be ok? or does it destroy our politics - and possibly our civilization - entirely? or is there some way to stop the chain reaction and actually hit peak wingnut after all?
Last edited by Free Soviets on Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:36 am

is the singularity when it becomes an inescapable black hole or when it gains sentience?
whatever

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:41 am

Ashmoria wrote:is the singularity when it becomes an inescapable black hole or when it gains sentience?

oh gods, if the wingnuttery becomes so complex that it actually gains sentience...

Ragnarsdomr
Minister

Founded: Sep 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ragnarsdomr » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:48 am

Free Soviets wrote:oh gods, if the wingnuttery becomes so complex that it actually gains sentience...

Sentient insanity, you say?

Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.82

Conservative Morality wrote:By accepting yourself and who you are. Accept violence. Accept aggression. Accept dominance. Not as a man, but as a human. Accept conflict, and find a place for it in life. Neither deny nor revel in it. Revel in one thing and one thing only: humanity. What higher goal is there, after all? Embrace who you are, what you are, and what you can be. Throw off the shackles of shame, refuse self-loathing, refuse misandry, refuse misogyny, refuse misanthropy, instead, love what you are. Love mankind, love man and woman, and love yourself.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:55 am

Free Soviets wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:is the singularity when it becomes an inescapable black hole or when it gains sentience?

oh gods, if the wingnuttery becomes so complex that it actually gains sentience...

i think we are well on our way to it.

wingnuttery for wingnuttery's sake. a life force so strong that it exists outside of the john birch society and the tea party.
whatever

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:06 am

i do seriously worry about how this ends. because the ideological ecosystem they've constructed seems impervious to contradicting information - even insiders in good standing who break with whatever the current orthodoxy is find themselves quickly drummed out as phonies. they live inside a closed bubble of mutually reinforcing insanity that explicitly rejects all reason and evidence and has mechanisms to defend itself from most anything. their leaders are either part of the problem or (rightfully) scared shitless and just trying to keep up so they can hang onto their positions. hell, not even starting disastrous wars and collapsing the world economy phases them. what the fuck could possibly bring them back under control?

Subgeniustan
Spokesperson

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Subgeniustan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:09 am

Don't worry, they won't gain sentience. If you look at how everyone wrote hagiographies praising Andrew Breitbart after he died (EVEN LIBERALS!) and how Rush Limbaugh is someone that basically no Republican is allowed to criticize, it is clear that they are losing what little sentience they HAD. The contraception vs. Catholic Church thing was being framed as a religious issue, to the advantage of Republicans, when Rush Limbaugh did the Democrats a HUGE favor and reframed the issue EXACTLY THE WAY DEMOCRATS WANTED, as one of women's rights vs. sexism. Republicans in Congress basically oppose everything because they don't want anything to get passed into law by Obama and seen as an accomplishment, so they would rather have the government not accomplish anything positive at all, even if it hurts American citizens. And the 4 Republican Presidential candidates are all going so far to the right, they are falling off a cliff, alienating mainstream, independent, moderate voters, sealing their fate of losing in November, and they don't even seem to care about the fact that their strategies for winning the Republican primaries all involve making themselves completely unelectable in a general election. It is quite an amusing spectacle to watch American politics nowadays. The 2006 and 2008 election losses radicalized the right-wingers by making them think they were losing the country and all hope was lost, that we were headed towards some type of liberal apocalypse, and then the 2010 election victories radicalized right-wingers even further by making them think that being radical was a winning strategy, that moderation and compromise are not only losing strategies but unthinkable, and that the American people were on their side no matter HOW far to the right they went. It is truly bizarre how the response to every election victory is exactly the same as the response to every election loss: to become more radicalized. I can easily imagine, after Obama's obvious re-election, right-wing extremists starting a new Civil War. At least that would be more convenient for U.S. soldiers. Instead of having to fight overseas in far-off lands where people speak strange languages and have odd customs, they'd get to fight right here in the good ole USA against fellow Americans who have the same language and culture as them, which would make things a lot easier.
Join us in Ebola Quarantine Zone, the most hellish dystopia in all of NationStates where huge Ebola pandemics are the least of our worries. All are welcome and we collect embassies like squirrels collect nuts. We have no rules, nobody ever gets banned from our region EVAR, and you can do whatever you want, in accordance with the teachings of the Church of the SubGenius, Discordianism, the Cthulhu Mythos, Pastafarianism, and Robert Anton Wilson's political philosophy of Patriopsychotic Anarchomaterialism. We are a member of the F.N.O.R.D. disorganization of Slackful nations, organizations, and regions. Praise "Bob", hail Eris, Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn, etc., etc., ramen.
- The Mgt.

Pendragonia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pendragonia » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:14 am

Free Soviets wrote:i do seriously worry about how this ends. because the ideological ecosystem they've constructed seems impervious to contradicting information - even insiders in good standing who break with whatever the current orthodoxy is find themselves quickly drummed out as phonies. they live inside a closed bubble of mutually reinforcing insanity that explicitly rejects all reason and evidence and has mechanisms to defend itself from most anything. their leaders are either part of the problem or (rightfully) scared shitless and just trying to keep up so they can hang onto their positions. hell, not even starting disastrous wars and collapsing the world economy phases them. what the fuck could possibly bring them back under control?

The guns of the revolution.

Formerly the Free Land of Metroarachnidanopolis.

"He who dares not offend, cannot be honest."-Thomas Paine

Kaeshar
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaeshar » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:42 am

In other words, the Republican party is going to self destruct, whether it will go out with a bang or a whimper remains to be seen.

Personally, I'm not old enough to really know much about the rise of the wingnuts in the Republican party, but for me, the crazyness became completely obvious with the 2010 elections, and possibly the beginnings of that earlier. However, while the OP is right about it getting kicked into overdrive with 2008, heck, the 2008 election gave hints of the overdrive to come with Palin. Seriously, the candidates in 2008 (except for Ron Paul, who I caught contradicting himself once in a debate back then) seemed normal compared to what we have now.

Still, in hindsight, the republican party was already degrading during the Bush years, even if it wasn't outright crazy then.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:41 am

This will happen eventually.
This is why gay marriage will destroy American families.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:47 am

The name of this thread sounds like the Title of a Big Bang Theory episode.
Such heroic nonsense!

Blazedtown
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Blazedtown » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:06 am

This what happens when you combine politics with batshit insane religious extremism. The GOP will eventually shake the crazy out and come back to reality. I just hope it doesn't take 50 years. The Christian right needs to have its hold over the republican party broken.
Go Vikings.
Sunnyvale, straight the fuck up.

Acrainia
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Acrainia » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:47 am

The issue is all the damn mega-right wing talking heads that are convincing people to hand the reigns of the party over to increasingly reactionary leadership. What was a center-right party fairly attractive to moderates is becoming something more akin to the British National Party, marginalizing and disowning anyone who isn't a crazy maniac.

I actually hope for serious losses this election year, perhaps it might convince the party I once identified myself with to return to a form that can actually move forward in the modern world.

Naturally for that to happen we'll have to take commentators like Rush Limbaugh out behind the shed and do what has to be done.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:05 pm

I just saw a politician arguing (with very nonsensical and incoherent logic) that we should deliver to term babies that have no brains and are guaranteed to die pretty much immediately after birth rather than abort them.

What the fuck?
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

Sulfar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sulfar » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:06 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:I just saw a politician arguing (with very nonsensical and incoherent logic) that we should deliver to term babies that have no brains and are guaranteed to die pretty much immediately after birth rather than abort them.

What the fuck?

For some reason, I am far from surprised.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:10 pm

Sulfar wrote:For some reason, I am far from surprised.

It's like they're more concerned with following their "commandments" no matter what the circumstances than they are actually with actually improving things or producing a legitimately just world.

Don't have an abortion, no matter what. Even if it is obvious that abortion is the only choice that makes any rational sense, don't do it anyway. If we admit of any exceptions to this rule, then that would force us to actually have to think about context and other subtle issues rather than simply being able to apply the same inflexible standard to everything.

The inflexibility and absoluteness of the standard matters more to them than actual human beings.
Last edited by Four-sided Triangles on Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dvardis
Envoy

Founded: Jul 16, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Dvardis » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:15 pm

Blazedtown wrote:This what happens when you combine politics with batshit insane religious extremism. The GOP will eventually shake the crazy out and come back to reality.

I suspect it's more likely to split into Santorum/Bachmann/Perry/etc and Paul/Cain/Johnson/etc camps (with people like romney trying to play both sides and eliciting very little enthusiasm from the electorate at large), each one claiming to be the true conservatives, until one of them fizzles out due to all their mostly elderly supporters being dead or not rich enough to donate millions to their political campaigns.

The Congregationists
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Congregationists » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:20 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:I just saw a politician arguing (with very nonsensical and incoherent logic) that we should deliver to term babies that have no brains ...

Their support has to come from somewhere.
•Criticism of sentimental love, marriage, sex, religion, and rituals.
•Valuing reason over emotion and imagination
•Ironic, indirect, and impersonal (objective) representation of ideas.
•Uncompromising criticism of romantic illusions.
•Advocacy of pragmatism and disapproval of idealism and ideology.
•Especially vehement opposition to neo-liberalism, social democracy, communism, libertarianism and feminism.
•Satirisation of irrational and whimsical attitudes of the so-called creative class.
•Criticism of social, political, cultural, and moral customs and manners of the contemporary society.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:25 pm

Dvardis wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:This what happens when you combine politics with batshit insane religious extremism. The GOP will eventually shake the crazy out and come back to reality.

I suspect it's more likely to split into Santorum/Bachmann/Perry/etc and Paul/Cain/Johnson/etc camps (with people like romney trying to play both sides and eliciting very little enthusiasm from the electorate at large), each one claiming to be the true conservatives, until one of them fizzles out due to all their mostly elderly supporters being dead or not rich enough to donate millions to their political campaigns.

You assume that the supporters they have now are the only ones they will ever have, and that no new people will ever be recruited. That's not true. If it were, all political parties would have a life expectancy of maybe 50 or 60 years.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Kaeshar
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaeshar » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:27 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:I just saw a politician arguing (with very nonsensical and incoherent logic) that we should deliver to term babies that have no brains and are guaranteed to die pretty much immediately after birth rather than abort them.

What the fuck?

Which politician was that?

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:28 pm

Kaeshar wrote:Which politician was that?

Some state legislature guy, I think.

Trotskylvania
Post Marshal

Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:38 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Kaeshar wrote:Which politician was that?

Some state legislature guy, I think.

I am entirely not surprised.

If national politics are a three ring circus right, then state legislatures are bloody Bedlam.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism

"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

Thyce
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Thyce » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:40 pm

The Congregationists wrote:
Four-sided Triangles wrote:I just saw a politician arguing (with very nonsensical and incoherent logic) that we should deliver to term babies that have no brains ...

Their support has to come from somewhere.

Mostly from the uneducated. Someone in another thread posted a map of the the country filled in with levels of college education. The higher levels all voted more towards the left in the last presidential election, and generally do. This is why we see attitudes coming from the right about child labor and how its snobbery to want everyone to get a college education. An actual educated critical thinker most likely wouldn't fall for all the lies and misdirection. For someone able to actually judge the facts of an issue, there is almost always no black and white. No rule covers every situation... but for someone untrained in critical thinking, it saves them a hellofalot of time to have one rule and enforce... no matter what the consequences.
Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -8.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.54

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:43 pm

Kaeshar wrote:In other words, the Republican party is going to self destruct, whether it will go out with a bang or a whimper remains to be seen.

God I hope so. I remember when the Berlin Wall came down, my roommate's dad said "You know, I never thought I would live long enough to see this. I just thought the Cold War was a permanent part of reality." Similarly, I just want to live long enough to see the Republican party destroyed; not just because I hate a lot of the people in it (and I do mean "hate", not just "disagree with"), but because it is occupying the space whether an opposition party needs to be (no, I would not be thrilled with one-party rule by the Democrats either, but if the GOP can be dismantled, something else can emerge).
Kaeshar wrote:Personally, I'm not old enough to really know much about the rise of the wingnuts in the Republican party, but for me, the crazyness became completely obvious with the 2010 elections, and possibly the beginnings of that earlier. However, while the OP is right about it getting kicked into overdrive with 2008, heck, the 2008 election gave hints of the overdrive to come with Palin. Seriously, the candidates in 2008 (except for Ron Paul, who I caught contradicting himself once in a debate back then) seemed normal compared to what we have now.

Still, in hindsight, the republican party was already degrading during the Bush years, even if it wasn't outright crazy then.

I'm one of the elders here: I still hate Nixon, even if he is gone. And yet, his ruthlessness and paranoia seem totally normal in retrospect; he did not have the additional failings of cluenessness and ineptitude.
Last edited by Tmutarakhan on Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:48 pm

Tmutarakhan wrote:
Kaeshar wrote:In other words, the Republican party is going to self destruct, whether it will go out with a bang or a whimper remains to be seen.

God I hope so. I remember when the Berlin Wall came down, my roommate's dad said "You know, I never thought I would live long enough to see this. I just thought the Cold War was a permanent part of reality." Similarly, I just want to live long enough to see the Republican party destroyed; not just because I hate a lot of the people in it (and I do mean "hate", not just "disagree with"), but because it is occupying the space whether an opposition party needs to be (no, I would not be thrilled with one-party rule by the Democrats either, but if the GOP can be dismantled, something else can emerge).
Kaeshar wrote:Personally, I'm not old enough to really know much about the rise of the wingnuts in the Republican party, but for me, the crazyness became completely obvious with the 2010 elections, and possibly the beginnings of that earlier. However, while the OP is right about it getting kicked into overdrive with 2008, heck, the 2008 election gave hints of the overdrive to come with Palin. Seriously, the candidates in 2008 (except for Ron Paul, who I caught contradicting himself once in a debate back then) seemed normal compared to what we have now.

I'm one of the elders here: I still hate Nixon, even if he is one. And yet, his ruthlessness and paranoia seem totally normal in retrospect; he did not have the additional failings of cluenessness and ineptitude.

I'm one of the elders as well. I remember when Barry Goldwater was consider a right-wing radical and feared by the left, as represented by John F. Kennedy, who was considered a socialist. It frightens me that these men would be considered moderate/centrist compared to today's pols.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General