NATION

PASSWORD

KONY 2012

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Celephais
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Celephais » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:00 pm

Fedeledland wrote:So you'd rather have a crazy mass-murderer than a somewhat extremist conservative government?

I doubt many Kony2012ers really care either way, do you really think all this "watch 30 minute video, become social activist for a cause never noticed before" stuff is focused on actually caring for Ugandans or status-seeking and wanting to be seen as a good person?

Loads of people who didn't know or care about Joseph Kony or Uganda yesterday are now getting on their high horses at everyone.
"Pay no attention to what critics say. No statue has ever been erected in honour of a critic." - Jean Sibelius

The Truth and Light
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Truth and Light » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:00 pm

Fartsniffage wrote:
The Truth and Light wrote:Overseas shipping?

If I want to send a small package to the US it'll cost £5 max.

Dunno man. Seems pretty weird to me that you'd pay 20 bucks for a bracelet.

Celephais
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Celephais » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:02 pm

Gonna repost what I put to facebook cos I can't be arsed rewording myself:

"it doesn't give it 'traction'. This 'raising awareness' type of thing does nothing except make smug "I care about issues!" people feel good about themselves for a few moments because they sent an email or changed their fb status. It's the bad side of social media; people flattering themselves that they've 'made a difference' by being outraged and displaying how much they 'care' online."
"Pay no attention to what critics say. No statue has ever been erected in honour of a critic." - Jean Sibelius

Fedeledland
Senator

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fedeledland » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:05 pm

Celephais wrote:
Fedeledland wrote:So you'd rather have a crazy mass-murderer than a somewhat extremist conservative government?

I doubt many Kony2012ers really care either way, do you really think all this "watch 30 minute video, become social activist for a cause never noticed before" stuff is focused on actually caring for Ugandans or status-seeking and wanting to be seen as a good person?

Loads of people who didn't know or care about Joseph Kony or Uganda yesterday are now getting on their high horses at everyone.

Oh, I understand it isn't just a glorious mass care, but stating "Kony2012ers suck because the Ugandan government sucks" is an invalid argument because its the best of evils.
Factbook (FanT·FT)
Embassies
Political Info (OOC)
WARNING: My writing might contain amounts of extreme pomp and purple prose. Read at your own caution.
QUE VIVA EL REY!

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:16 pm

Not trolling but as soon as my friends saw the film they uploaded an image of Kony's head on a pony's body, on the top is the MLP logo with the P changed to a K.
Do you you guys think that is good in that it is spreading awareness or perhaps defacing the image of that terrible man or bad because children are being forced to fight and get killed because of him and it is not nice to make fun?
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:17 pm

Chinese Regions wrote:Not trolling but as soon as my friends saw the film they uploaded an image of Kony's head on a pony's body, on the top is the MLP logo with the P changed to a K.
Do you you guys think that is good in that it is spreading awareness or perhaps defacing the image of that terrible man or bad because children are being forced to fight and get killed because of him and it is not nice to make fun?

I'd say its a desecration of MLP. As I said before, crucify the son of a bitch.

The Matthew Islands
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Matthew Islands » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:20 pm

Chinese Regions wrote:Not trolling but as soon as my friends saw the film they uploaded an image of Kony's head on a pony's body, on the top is the MLP logo with the P changed to a K.

I have to admit. I loled.
Souseiseki wrote:as a posting career in the UK Poltics Thread becomes longer, the probability of literally becoming souseiseki approaches 1

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 21, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:25 pm

not beyond the realms of possibility....

http://i.imgur.com/K3mgn.jpg
PLEASE DO NOT SEND ME TG's. MODERATORS READ YOUR TG's WITHOUT YOUR PERMISSION.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Flowers Call me Rubi for short or Vonners

Libera Patria
Envoy

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libera Patria » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:41 pm

I'm in favour of less intervening in foreign affairs, but this man.. This man needs to face justice, and I'm all for any efforts by governments and/or organizations to get him.
Current Prime Minister: Jørgen Callsaaker, Social Liberal Party
Current government: Coalition consisting of the Social Liberal Party and the Moderate Party.
Near-FT/Advanced MT
Oil-dominated economy
RP population: About 1,1 billion
Income tax: Flat, 25%
Corporate tax - 10 %
Federal Republic divided into 11 counties plus the federal capitol with a large degree of autonomity each.

Calenhardon
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Calenhardon » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:41 pm

Fedeledland wrote:
Celephais wrote:

Oh, I understand it isn't just a glorious mass care, but stating "Kony2012ers suck because the Ugandan government sucks" is an invalid argument because its the best of evils.

No, but stating that "Kony1012ers suck because they have no idea that the Ugandan government sucks and have no idea how to make it suck less, or for that matter have no idea that the LRA hasn't really been active in Uganda since 2006" is a valid argument.
Political Compass: econ -5.38/soc -2.67

Jure Uxoris
Political Columnist

Founded: Feb 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jure Uxoris » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:42 pm

Equitem
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Equitem » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:43 pm

Rubiconic Crossings V2 rev 1f wrote:not beyond the realms of possibility....

http://i.imgur.com/K3mgn.jpg

I feel bad for making light of this, but did anyone else think when they said, "... with an epic music that sounds like the Gladiator theme..." that they were talking about the old show American Gladiators? I couldn't help but wonder how American Gladiators music was emotional until I saw the panel about the movie Gladiator. Still, making a documentary using the American Gladiators music would be pretty fun(ny).

Vitaphone Racing
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitaphone Racing » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:57 pm

How does putting up posters of Kony around your home town lead to his arrest?

This is a movement for people who don't really give a shit about human rights or how people live on the other side but like to think they care, show offs in other words. If people really cared, they would not just know about Kony but the 700,000 child soldiers in Africa and the fact that the vast majority of the continent lives on less than $2 USD per day.

If you really want to make a difference to the whole problem and not just a select few individuals, try these people here.
If you can offer legitimate help in finding Kony and you know his wherabouts at the present, you should call these people here.
Finally, if you really want to make a difference don't just sit there and tell others to help. Practice what you preach, get off your arse and get involved.
Parhe on my Asian-ness.
Parhe wrote:Guess what, maybe you don't know what it is like to be Asian.

ayy lmao

Herskerstad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Herskerstad » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:04 pm

Aside from a bucket load of members from the lords resistance army and a few already dead dictators, the two main nations that stick out on the list they compiled of significant people to stop. Namely Uganda and Kenya.

I got to ask why? Sure, Kenya has problems, far less noticeable than the likes of Uganda which needs to destroy the lords resistance army quickly, but looking at the basket that is the corruption and civil strife in Africa you can find far worse than Kenya. So why is Kenya so prominent on the list when compared with the likes of Sudan, Congo and a load of other African nations I'd not care to mention?
Although the stars do not speak, even in being silent they cry out. - John Calvin

Inky Noodles
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Inky Noodles » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:26 pm

Oh, there IS another thread.
Transnapastain wrote:
Inky Noodles wrote:QUICK.

I WANNA ASK SOMEONE TO HOMECOMING.

whaddo I do?!

So I just met you
and this is crazy
but heres my number
homecoming maybe?

*not a valid offer.

~Trans, killing TET's since part 45.

San Leggera wrote:
Veceria wrote:People with big noses have big penises.
Even the females.

Especially the females. *nod*

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Belligerent Alcoholics wrote:Are you OK? :eyebrow:

It's a person called Inky Noodles in a thread that is not exactly known for its sanity in general. Do the math, beerguzzler.

18 year old Virginian

Ravens, O's, and Penguins fan

Gravonia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Gravonia » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:41 pm

2 things I still need explaining to me:

1) The world has a few complete cunts in it. This guy is definitely one. But did the internet suddenly get its tits in a twist about him 24 hours ago when he's been around for the last 10 years at least.

2) Why does it fall to the US to end him?
Last edited by Gravonia on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We in Gravonia have set our sights very low, so low in fact that even glory will have in it an echo of failure.

The Anti-Cosmic Gods
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anti-Cosmic Gods » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Ooooh look, another cause for the bored middle class. A few years ago it was Darfur.

I've known about this guy for years and years. He's a lunatic. But there are way more pressing matters in my own country for me to take up were I going to become an activist.

Alerbalmzlwmyn
Secretary

Founded: Mar 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alerbalmzlwmyn » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:50 pm

Nevermind, I see someone else posted the link explaining why it isn't going to work.
Last edited by Alerbalmzlwmyn on Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Member of the Mazorain Tribe.

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:18 pm

Gravonia wrote:2 things I still need explaining to me:

1) The world has a few complete cunts in it. This guy is definitely one. But did the internet suddenly get its tits in a twist about him 24 hours ago when he's been around for the last 10 years at least.

2) Why does it fall to the US to end him?

Because a big name in the Invisible Children group, which I believe has existed for quite a while, made this brief documentary on it specifically to utilize the internet.

It doesn't really fall to the US to end him; the suggestion is for the States to aid establishments in Africa in tracking down and arresting him, providing the necessary equipment and training. It was never suggested that the US get involved hands-on.

Something else for this thread to consider, that I found, was something that one controversial rap artist Lowkey said on Facebook:

Lowkey wrote:This "KONY 2012" campaign is asking for MORE US troops to be sent into Africa. Look up AFRICOM and understand what this is part of. Your consent is being manufactured. Wake up!

I lost my respect for the guy ages ago, when he started going on about thermite and 9/11, but I'd like to see what others have to say on this particular take.
Last edited by 1000 Cats on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your friendly neighborhood zoophile. I'm here to answer questions. Also, we have a region: Zoo!

Norstal wrote:You are a hatiater: one who radiates hate.

Meryuma wrote:No one is more of a cat person than 1000 Cats!

FST wrote:Any sexual desires which can be satiated within a healthy and consensual way should be freed from shame. Bizarre kinks and fetishes are acceptable and nothing to be ashamed of as long as they are acted out in a context where everyone consents and no one is hurt.
Factbook/Q&A | RP | Conlang | Short Story

Jakaragua
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakaragua » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:21 pm

I keep saying that sticking posters around and changing your facebook profile picture doesn't equal actual activism. But people still don't get it.
Boredom is counter-revolutionary.

Bulgislavia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bulgislavia » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:22 pm

The film was moving

I saw a few spattering's of "Kony 2012" on Facebook today, I didn't know what it was

A few friends shared a link about a movie about this "Kony" I still didn't think too much into it

I then came on Nationstates and saw a thread about "Kony" so by this stage I'm like "What the hell is this Kony stuff about?"
so I clicked and watched the movie. It opened my eyes and made some atrocities I don't even think about seem more real, I felt a need to do something about it so I shared a link on Facebook (by this stage seven other friends had done the same, no doubt they probably didn't know who this Kony person was or what he was responsible for before this phenomenon)

I guess being apart of the process of introducing this man to the mass collective consciousness will lead to more positive momentum in ending this man from ruining more lives

The result was that this phenomenon brought to my attention the atrocities committed by this one individual that I had no prior knowledge of, It made me think about global issues and ideas of a "Global community" that I hadn't really dedicated much thought too
The film was hopeful and inspiring.
I would encourage people to watch it, its not going to hurt you
Revolutionary Peoples Democracy

Jakaragua
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jakaragua » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:26 pm

Bulgislavia wrote:The film was moving

I saw a few spattering's of "Kony 2012" on Facebook today, I didn't know what it was

A few friends shared a link about a movie about this "Kony" I still didn't think too much into it

I then came on Nationstates and saw a thread about "Kony" so by this stage I'm like "What the hell is this Kony stuff about?"
so I clicked and watched the movie. It opened my eyes and made some atrocities I don't even think about seem more real, I felt a need to do something about it so I shared a link on Facebook (by this stage seven other friends had done the same, no doubt they probably didn't know who this Kony person was or what he was responsible for before this phenomenon)

I guess being apart of the process of introducing this man to the mass collective consciousness will lead to more positive momentum in ending this man from ruining more lives

The result was that this phenomenon brought to my attention the atrocities committed by this one individual that I had no prior knowledge of, It made me think about global issues and ideas of a "Global community" that I hadn't really dedicated much thought too

Yeah, it was real inspiring. Really pulled my white-guilt strings. Then I realized there's more complexities going on in that region other than a mass murderer which makes a five-year-old “sad.”
Last edited by Jakaragua on Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boredom is counter-revolutionary.

Elipida
Senator

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Elipida » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Don't hate me for this, I honestly would love to support this cause because i agree that Kony's an evil man, but you have to agree with this Post
Just a heads up; the demonym is "Elipian", not "Elipidian"
Wiki Page PMT/EFT Factbook
High Quality Weapons and Technologies
Bosiso wrote:A global, yet peaceful empire that maintains its peace by strength.
Drakeland wrote:The force necessary to keep the world united.
Grellania wrote:What in the hell is going on in Elipida? Every man has guns for arms and legs?
Frisivisia wrote:
Elipida wrote:what's wrong with homosexuality? What have homosexuals ever do to you?

They leave behind a trail of fabulousness. You know how hard fabulousness is to clean up?
"Whoever Wishes for Peace, Let Him Prepare for War"

Bulgislavia
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bulgislavia » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:29 pm

Jakaragua wrote:
Bulgislavia wrote:The film was moving

Yeah, it was real inspiring. Really pulled my white-guilt strings. Then I realized there's more complexities going on in that region other than a mass murderer which makes a five-year-old “sad.”

well sure, but fix the world one problem at a time right?
Revolutionary Peoples Democracy

Chinese Regions
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Regions » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:31 pm

The Matthew Islands wrote:

I have to admit. I loled.

Now there's images of Kony with the captions "Putting the Infant back into Infantry"
Fan of Transformers?|Fan of Star Trek?|你会说中文吗?
Geopolitics: Internationalist, Pan-Asian, Pan-African, Pan-Arab, Pan-Slavic, Eurofederalist,
  • For the promotion of closer ties between Europe and Russia but without Dugin's anti-intellectual quackery.
  • Against NATO, the Anglo-American "special relationship", Israel and Wahhabism.

Sociopolitics: Pro-Intellectual, Pro-Science, Secular, Strictly Anti-Theocractic, for the liberation of PoCs in Western Hemisphere without the hegemony of white liberals
Economics: Indifferent

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General