NATION

PASSWORD

Charlie Chaplin: Finally Someone With Common Sense

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:00 am

Wisconsin7 wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:*looks up from a tablet & peers over reading glasses* Yes, that about says it. And they don't have to be "dicks," as you so quaintly put it. Any young man is a potential problem, given the great number of triggers modern society serves up. *checks tablet* We're thinking about universal conscription ... Since it's early, is there any particular branch of the military you favor?

Do you have any idea how fucking sick I'm getting of people saying that? Why don't you just create a thread titled "Send anyone under 21 to prison" and take all of your adultism there?

Because you don't get irony.

Simon Cowell of the RR
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Simon Cowell of the RR » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:02 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Fartsniffage wrote:
Confirmed by what?

The communists have a little ceremony of confirmation. The inductee has to wear a red veil and usually takes a new name, like Vladimir or Friederick or Leon. It's very moving, really. Then they have a big party with dancing and a bad band and rubber chicken.

You forgot the vodka sacrament.

It is all very nice to talk about how inspiring that was/that we need to fix things. But what are you going to do about it?
Yes, I might be trolling. No, not like the guy who created the thread about towel heads.
I troll by making even the most outlandish opinions sound reasonable. The question is, am I doing that here?

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:32 am

Vaklor wrote:War... War Never Changes.

According to Mary Kaldor, it has. (See also)

Wisconsin7 wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:*looks up from a tablet & peers over reading glasses* Yes, that about says it. And they don't have to be "dicks," as you so quaintly put it. Any young man is a potential problem, given the great number of triggers modern society serves up. *checks tablet* We're thinking about universal conscription ... Since it's early, is there any particular branch of the military you favor?

Do you have any idea how fucking sick I'm getting of people saying that? Why don't you just create a thread titled "Send anyone under 21 to prison" and take all of your adultism there?

Tut tut. Language, young man; and don't take that tone with your elders. Go to your room.
Taking a break.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:37 am

Wisconsin7 wrote:

This is exactly what I mean. No sense of humor, unless it involves blowing something up or tits. We've had threads like that, though not with that title. Usually the title is something like "SCHOOL IS PRISON!!!111!!!oneone!!eleventy!" and is started by someone who thinks himself a victim of "adultism." We should talk about "adultism" later, say around 2040. I venture to suggest that your opinions will have changed.
Last edited by Farnhamia on Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:39 am

Farnhamia wrote:This is exactly what I mean. No sense of humor, unless it involves blowing something up or tits.

When I was under 21 I didn't have access to any of those two possibilities... although my sense of humor IS rather weird. But at least it's inoffensive. :blush:

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:43 am

Samuraikoku wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:This is exactly what I mean. No sense of humor, unless it involves blowing something up or tits.

When I was under 21 I didn't have access to any of those two possibilities... although my sense of humor IS rather weird. But at least it's inoffensive. :blush:

Surely you heard jokes about them, 'Koku-san. I didn't mean to suggest actual explosives or actual tits. Perhaps it's algo americano.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:46 am

Farnhamia wrote:Surely you heard jokes about them, 'Koku-san. I didn't mean to suggest actual explosives or actual tits. Perhaps it's algo americano.

I have, but I didn't find them funny. Like I said... I've got a weird, albeit inoffensive, sense of humor.

Ahtreil
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ahtreil » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:49 am

Nice speech, although it comes to mind..

When we hear it, we want to be an example of the things Chaplin talks about. But then i think about the ''Dictator''-example he had in that speech, and how they talk about how the world would be better, i can't take it seriously, because it would be exactly the same thing as those things he condemned...
My real life views are not represented by my nation, or by acts performed by my nation
Volnotova wrote:
Hippostania wrote:Wealth means that you are successful.

"Get's 100 million inheritance"

Doingitright amright?

Velka Morava
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 23, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Velka Morava » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:21 am

Simon Cowell of the RR wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:The communists have a little ceremony of confirmation. The inductee has to wear a red veil and usually takes a new name, like Vladimir or Friederick or Leon. It's very moving, really. Then they have a big party with dancing and a bad band and rubber chicken.

You forgot the vodka sacrament.

It is all very nice to talk about how inspiring that was/that we need to fix things. But what are you going to do about it?

Actually what he forgot was the partaking of barbecued babies...
"Preemption is a tool. When you announce that preemption is your national strategy and you tell everyone, it begets preemption." - Lt. Gen. Paul Van Riper

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:10 am

Samuraikoku wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Surely you heard jokes about them, 'Koku-san. I didn't mean to suggest actual explosives or actual tits. Perhaps it's algo americano.

I have, but I didn't find them funny. Like I said... I've got a weird, albeit inoffensive, sense of humor.

*nods* Probably comes from living south of the equator.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:20 am

Farnhamia wrote:*nods* Probably comes from living south of the equator.

Most teenagers and young adults around here (from both sexes) like jokes about breasts. The younger types - usually males - like jokes about things blowing up.

I like absurdity. :p

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:52 am

"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

Khanastan
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Khanastan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:44 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Khanastan wrote:So basically, war is ok as long as keeps all the dicks out there in a foreign country where they can't bother us. Take a note kids.

*looks up from a tablet & peers over reading glasses* Yes, that about says it. And they don't have to be "dicks," as you so quaintly put it. Any young man is a potential problem, given the great number of triggers modern society serves up. *checks tablet* We're thinking about universal conscription ... Since it's early, is there any particular branch of the military you favor?

I don't favour per say, but I am not an anti militarist. It is apparent that every nation needs a capable army, but I feel that a nation shouldn't squander its men and resources by sticking its nose in other nations business if it has nothing to do with them. *looks at America, as it hangs its head in shame*
I actually agree with your idea of universal conscription. Most armies offer a fair wages, opportunities to advance other skills like accountancy and tradeships within and give many young men a sense of discipline and something to achieve in life. It would make for a more "get up and go" generation than the hedonistic one we currently live in and we could definitely use that right now.

... this has changed my perspective of things *shuffles papers* I hate it when that happens *throws papers in bin*
“The ancient Oracle said that I was the wisest of all the Greeks. It is because I alone, of all the Greeks, know that I know nothing.” - Socrates
Khanastan is an entirely fictional PMT nation somewhat similar to a larger, more free version of China. We are a massive federal representative republic of half a billion people with a self-sufficient, world-dominating economy. NS stats are not used. Use our Factbook instead.
Call me Khan. I've been here a while. I'm from Glasgow, Scotland. I think people should treat people like they want to be treated themselves. If you want to know more you're going have to buy me a drink or get to know me better, otherwise i'll stop being such a mystery.
Merry crisis one and all.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General