NATION

PASSWORD

2012 MLB discussion thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:37 am

<just a little bump here>
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Great Malema
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Malema » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:49 am

Hassett wrote:St Louis all the way! Defending champs.

Albert Pujols has moved to the Angels, so it'll be harder for the Cardinals to win this year.
Last edited by Great Malema on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

SkillCrossbones
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 30, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby SkillCrossbones » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:12 am

Great Malema wrote:
Hassett wrote:St Louis all the way! Defending champs.

Albert Pujols has moved to the Angels, so it'll be harder for the Cardinals to win this year.

While it's hard for anyone to repeat, I think you're selling the Cardinals a little short. Aside from the fact that Pujols had a down year (by his standards) last year, think about the other starters that the Cardinals lost this offseason. Ryan Theriot and Edwin Jackson. I think the addition of Carlos Beltran, Rafael Furcal (for the whole season), and Adam Wainwright (not to mention Matt Holliday's flukey season in terms of injuries last year; I doubt he will need his appendix removed again and it seems unlikely that a moth will try to burrow into his ear again) will be quite enough to offset the loss of Pujols, Jackson and Theriot, at least for the next two years. The only thing standing in the way is the injury risks.
Last edited by SkillCrossbones on Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Noblest Motive Is the Public Good

The contents of this post may not be reproduced or disseminated without the express written consent of the office of the President of SkillCrossbones

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:38 am

So Ryan Braun, the 2011 NL MVP, who was found to have a positive test result for PED's in october, has had his appeal of his suspension granted, and as such, won't have to serve his 50-game suspension.

FOR HIS INNOCENCE: His main claim was that the chain of custody involving his urine sample wasn't followed according to MLB's guidelines and as such, his sample could have been tainted because of it. Chiefly, the sample taker forgoed numerous chances to drop the samples (Braun's and a couple of other teammates' samples) off in a timely matter, and kept the samples overnight in his fridge. His smaple was also appearently kept at room temperture before the testing process itself. And his follow-up test was negative.

FOR HIS GUILT: But Braun's sample showed 3-times the normal testosterone levels; the sample collector could not know which sample was Braun's (as they are barcoded before given to the collector, as to protect privacy); the samples were not out of the collector's sight and kept in a locked fridge and no other samples from the collector was shown to be tampered with. Testosterone levels aren't influenced in urine samples by temperature and Braun's sample didn't show evidence of tampering.

So either Braun's original sample was a fluke or his sample was tampered with or he used PED's and was able to get away with it. Which do you think happened?

personally, I think his original sample possibly was a fluke. Random fluxuations in a person's testosterone level (and other organic chemicals within the body) can happen with out an outside influnce. That the follow up test came back negative (unlike with Manny, A-Rod's, and other's tests), lends crendence to the fluke claim.
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Chetssaland
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:42 pm

I think the biggest thing is that Braun offered to submit a DNA test but MLB denied the request. Something seems a little off, considering a DNA would prove completely whether he has taken steroids or not.

Partybus
Minister

Founded: Oct 20, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Partybus » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:36 pm

*Note to Cubs fans*

I don't know what his official title is, but you are now in possession of Theo Epstein, you do realize what he did for the Sox, right? Ok, so most likely, not this year, but if allowed to do what he does best, you should see your "Boys of summer" rock it into the fall.

(not to get your hopes up or anything, but I have this gut feeling, and at this point, really, what have you got to lose?)

Brodskopolis
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Brodskopolis » Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:43 pm

There's only one team I genuinely care about, and they haven't been relevant since before my parents got married. (I'm a bit on the younger side :p ) The Pirates are genuinely improving--none of the players they lost in the off-season, with the exception of Doumit, contributed last year, and none of the acquisitions are actually bad. If the pitchers aren't overworked, Alvarez is as improved as Hurdle says, and leading offensive players like Presley and McCutchen stay healthy, I see us in the high 70's, with an above-.500 finish in 2013.
On a more relevant matter, I'm saying Phillies all the way.
I yam what I yam, and I yam someone who loves sweet potatoes.

Rust Belt Liberal, Humanistic Jew, Kvetch

SkillCrossbones
Diplomat

Postby SkillCrossbones » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:42 pm

Brodskopolis wrote:The Pirates are genuinely improving--none of the players they lost in the off-season, with the exception of Doumit, contributed last year, and none of the acquisitions are actually bad. If the pitchers aren't overworked, Alvarez is as improved as Hurdle says, and leading offensive players like Presley and McCutchen stay healthy, I see us in the high 70's, with an above-.500 finish in 2013.

Here's hoping Ryan Ludwick's bat starts looking a little better, now that he's out of the hitter's graveyard that is Petco.

The contents of this post may not be reproduced or disseminated without the express written consent of the office of the President of SkillCrossbones

Mundel
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mundel » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:10 pm

My heart told me to vote for the Sox, my brain said Detroit.

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:25 am

BTW here is my offical name for the Angels:

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of Orange County of California of The United States of America of North America of the Western Hemisphere of Earth of the Sol Planetary System of the Sagittarius Arm of the Upper Spiral Arm of the Milky Way Galaxy of 3-Dimensional Space.
Or LAAOCCUSANAWHESPSSAUSAMWG3DS for short.
(Team's exact location may vary due to redshift or time travel; please consult your local Astrologist for more exact location info.)
Last edited by Qazox on Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Sat Feb 25, 2012 6:27 am

I'm glad for Braun. I was hoping he'd have is ban overturned.

That said, it looks like it's gonna be a good season this year.
Transnapastain wrote:CC!

Posting mod mistakes now are we?

Well, sir, you can have a Vindictive warning for making us look incompetent
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're Invisi Gay. Super hero of the Rainbow Equality Brigade!
Nana wrote:Being CC's bf is a death worse than fate.
Nana wrote:Finally, another reasonable individual.
Nana wrote: You're Ben. And Ben is many things wrapped into one being. :)
NSG Sodomy Club Member.
RIP WHYLT 11/14/2010-8/15/2011
Geniasis wrote:I've seen people lose credibility. It's been a while since I've seen it cast aside so gleefully.
Quotes Singing Contest of DOOM Champ. Softball
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's
Satan's Apprentice Colleague
Lian's precious snowflake
Callie's Adorbs/Loyal Knight Prince's TET Husband

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:20 am

Coffee Cakes wrote:I'm glad for Braun. I was hoping he'd have is ban overturned.

I'm kinda glad.. but kinda ticked off he got off on a technicality not by not having used PED's. There'll always be that question hanging over him, evenmore so if he goes .245/17/83 this year instead of .313/41/114.
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Utopia FTW
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Utopia FTW » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:27 am

Qazox wrote:BTW here is my offical name for the Angels:

The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of Orange County of California of The United States of America of North America of the Western Hemisphere of Earth of the Sol Planetary System of the Sagittarius Arm of the Upper Spiral Arm of the Milky Way Galaxy of 3-Dimensional Space.
Or LAAOCCUSANAWHESPSSAUSAMWG3DS for short.
(Team's exact location may vary due to redshift or time travel; please consult your local Astrologist for more exact location info.)

That's what Icalled them too but frankly it was just too long. :( So I just call them the Halos nowadays, so holla holla!
Squeeze me tightly and I'll fart politely

Das Evil
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Das Evil » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:38 am

I put other, because the Cubbies have the best chance, clearly. This year is ours!

Note: extreme optimism at its finest. :)
Last edited by Das Evil on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"From time to time, I do consider that I might be mad. Like any self-respecting lunatic, however, I am always quick to dismiss any doubts about my sanity.”

Das Evil
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Das Evil » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:41 am

Partybus wrote:*Note to Cubs fans*

I don't know what his official title is, but you are now in possession of Theo Epstein, you do realize what he did for the Sox, right? Ok, so most likely, not this year, but if allowed to do what he does best, you should see your "Boys of summer" rock it into the fall.

(not to get your hopes up or anything, but I have this gut feeling, and at this point, really, what have you got to lose?)

Definitely hope you're right!
"From time to time, I do consider that I might be mad. Like any self-respecting lunatic, however, I am always quick to dismiss any doubts about my sanity.”

Coffee Cakes
Khan of Spam

Founded: Sep 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Coffee Cakes » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:26 am

Qazox wrote:
Coffee Cakes wrote:I'm glad for Braun. I was hoping he'd have is ban overturned.

I'm kinda glad.. but kinda ticked off he got off on a technicality not by not having used PED's. There'll always be that question hanging over him, evenmore so if he goes .245/17/83 this year instead of .313/41/114.

I know. :/
I'd love to see him go out and dominate without any botched tests this year.
Something like .350/45/130, to pick up the slack from Prince leaving.
Transnapastain wrote:CC!

Posting mod mistakes now are we?

Well, sir, you can have a Vindictive warning for making us look incompetent
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:You're Invisi Gay. Super hero of the Rainbow Equality Brigade!
Nana wrote:Being CC's bf is a death worse than fate.
Nana wrote:Finally, another reasonable individual.
Nana wrote: You're Ben. And Ben is many things wrapped into one being. :)
NSG Sodomy Club Member.
RIP WHYLT 11/14/2010-8/15/2011
Geniasis wrote:I've seen people lose credibility. It's been a while since I've seen it cast aside so gleefully.
Quotes Singing Contest of DOOM Champ. Softball
NS Kart Reppy Kart.

Asperger's
Satan's Apprentice Colleague
Lian's precious snowflake
Callie's Adorbs/Loyal Knight Prince's TET Husband

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:20 am

AMERICAN LEAGUE

Tampa Bay [best coach]
NY Yankees [Cashman is distracted. Lose a one game wild card.]
Toronto [better than the record indicates; look at strength of schedule]
Boston [The implosion continues; where's the rotation? They'll miss Terry quickly.]
Baltimore

CENTRAL
Detroit [built for the post season]
Cleveland [now or never]
Kansas City
Minnesota [could be high as 2d if healthy]
Chicago Sox

WEST [best division in baseball! o.0]
Texas
LA Angels [in a TIE!]
Oakland [always scrappy]
Seattle [much improved]

Wild Cards: Texas/LAA loser, and Yankees.

NATIONAL LEAGUE

EAST [By far the best in the NL]

Atlanta [Just don't fold late, guys, please?]
Washington [Willing to spend money, and they spend it wisely. They have no obvious weaknesses. If they trade Lannan, who has been reliable, this rank goes down one or two.]
Philadelphia [Reminds me of football colleges like ND that always get these highly touted recruits and then usually disappoint.]
Florida [Made some good moves; this (along with my Pirates) is my iffiest pick)]
NY Mets [epic fail]
CENTRAL

Cincinnati [a popular pick]
Pittsburgh [In the race until September!]
St. Louis [depleted]
Milwaukee [controvery, plus a playoff hangover, reference the Marlins]
Chicago Cubs [bad new management;p same old underperformers]
Houston [Thank God for Houston, they have become the punch line instead of the Pirates]

WEST

San Francisco
Arizona [no more smoke and mirrors]
LA Dodgers [Need good new owners and then a year to settle in; got some good pieces]
Colorado
San Diego

Wild card: Washington and Philly. (Can they have 2 in one division? I hope so.]
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Welsh Cowboy
Minister

Founded: Dec 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Welsh Cowboy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:03 pm

Das Evil wrote:
Partybus wrote:*Note to Cubs fans*

Definitely hope you're right!

That's probably true, and as a Chicago fan, I hope so. Maybe not the World Series for a couple years, but definitely the playoffs.
Champions, 53rd Baptism of Fire

SkillCrossbones
Diplomat

Postby SkillCrossbones » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:23 pm

So, what do you all think of Ryan Zimmerman's shiny new contract extension? His current contract was set to expire in 2013, he is due $12M this year and $14M next year. Tack on 6 years @ $100 Million. Sounds like a good deal to me, for a franchise player. (I'd love to have him on my team, no doubt.) The extension will keep him on the team until 2019, with an option for 2020. Also included is a no-trade clause.

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:36 pm

SkillCrossbones wrote:So, what do you all think of Ryan Zimmerman's shiny new contract extension? His current contract was set to expire in 2013, he is due $12M this year and $14M next year. Tack on 6 years @ $100 Million. Sounds like a good deal to me, for a franchise player. (I'd love to have him on my team, no doubt.) The extension will keep him on the team until 2019, with an option for 2020. Also included is a no-trade clause.

A good deal for the Nats. They get an above average player at his postition for relatively cheap (think Fielder's or Pujols' contracts) and with the no-trade clause, if they do decide to get rid of him, he'll go to some team that will have to give the Nats some good prospects/players to do so. If he stays healthy until then expect a.280-.290/35-40/110-125 guy for 8 years.
Last edited by Qazox on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Welsh Cowboy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Welsh Cowboy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:40 pm

Qazox wrote:
SkillCrossbones wrote:So, what do you all think of Ryan Zimmerman's shiny new contract extension? His current contract was set to expire in 2013, he is due $12M this year and $14M next year. Tack on 6 years @ $100 Million. Sounds like a good deal to me, for a franchise player. (I'd love to have him on my team, no doubt.) The extension will keep him on the team until 2019, with an option for 2020. Also included is a no-trade clause.

A good deal for the Nats. They get an above average player at his postition for relatively cheap (think Fielder's or Pujols' contracts) and with the no-trade clause, if they do decide to get rid of him, he'll go to some team that will have to give the Nats some good prospects/players to do so. If he stays healthy until then expect a.280-.290/35-40/110-125 gut for 8 years.

I agree. He's not flashy, but certainly worthy of a contract like this... An underrated player.

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:49 pm

New question for all:

Best rotation in MLB right now:
Tigers (Verlander, Scherzer, Fister, Porcello, Turner/Oliver)
Phillies (Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Worley, Blanton)
Rays (Price, Sheilds, Moore, Hellickson, Niemann)
Yankees (Sabathia, Pineda, Kuroda, Hughes, Nova)
Rangers (Darvish, Ogando, Lewis, Holland, Feliz)
Giants (Lincecum, Cain, Bumgarner, Vogelsong, Surcamp/Zito)
Other???

I'd say Phillies are 1st with the Rays as 2nd. All of the Rays' starters are 29 or younger (except Sheilds who just turned 30) and most of them are under contract until 2014/15 or longer. Phillies have the experience and awards. Tigers and Yankees each have 1 lights-out starter and 4 serviceable starters, while Darvish for the Rangers is the true wild card. Will he be like Dice-K (in his 1st season) or Dice-K (the past 2 seasons)? Giants have a good 1-2 punch, and 3-4 more decent starters as well.
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Welsh Cowboy
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Welsh Cowboy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:51 pm

Qazox wrote:New question for all:

Best rotation in MLB right now:
Tigers (Verlander, Scherzer, Fister, Porcello, Turner/Oliver)
Phillies (Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Worley, Blanton)
Rays (Price, Sheilds, Moore, Hellickson, Niemann)
Yankees (Sabathia, Pineda, Kuroda, Hughes, Nova)
Rangers (Darvish, Ogando, Lewis, Holland, Feliz)
Giants (Lincecum, Cain, Bumgarner, Vogelsong, Surcamp/Zito)
Other???

I'd say Phillies are 1st with the Rays as 2nd. All of the Rays' starters are 29 or younger (except Sheilds who just turned 30) and most of them are under contract until 2014/15 or longer. Phillies have the experience and awards. Tigers and Yankees each have 1 lights-out starter and 4 serviceable starters, while Darvish for the Rangers is the true wild card. Will he be like Dice-K (in his 1st season) or Dice-K (the past 2 seasons)? Giants have a good 1-2 punch, and 3-4 more decent starters as well.

In my opinion,
1. Phillies
2. Rangers
3. Rays
4. Giants
5. Tigers
6. Yankees

That being said, I think Verlander and Halladay are the two best pitchers in baseball, with Felix Hernandez up there too.

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:08 pm

... I honestly can't believe you forgot the Angels.

Weaver, Haren, Wilson, Santana? I mean, yeah, I think I would take a stronger 3-man rotation for the playoffs, but you have to admit that's a pretty dang good starting four.

It's too bad Oakland split up their rotation. Cahill/Gonzalez/Anderson would've been a rough squad to face in a series.

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Christmahanikwanzikah wrote:... I honestly can't believe you forgot the Angels.

Weaver, Haren, Wilson, Santana? I mean, yeah, I think I would take a stronger 3-man rotation for the playoffs, but you have to admit that's a pretty dang good starting four.

It's too bad Oakland split up their rotation. Cahill/Gonzalez/Anderson would've been a rough squad to face in a series.

The Angels' three isn't too bad either, but their 4-6's are worse than the 6 teams I listed.

This season is going to be a historic one. There's 4 teams in the AL that have a legit chance to win 100 games (Angels, Rangers, Yankees, Tigers), Rays will win 95, If the Red Sox stay healthy and recover from last September, that's another team that can win 95 games. In the NL The phillies will win 100 games again, while the NL Central in at worst a 3-way race and the NL West is a 3-team race as well. Wouldn't suprise me if we have multiple play-in games for playoff spots.
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General