NATION

PASSWORD

2012 MLB discussion thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

SkillCrossbones
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 30, 2005
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby SkillCrossbones » Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:21 pm

If anyone wants to feel better about their own team, here's the Pirates defensive hilarity from yesterday, in convenient video form.

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?conte ... 1&c_id=mlb
The Noblest Motive Is the Public Good

The contents of this post may not be reproduced or disseminated without the express written consent of the office of the President of SkillCrossbones

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 17, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:33 am

just posting this here

Didn't know that Mike Trout was Chuck Norris' bastard love child. ;)
Wikipage/Qazox National Football Team
Qualified for World Cups 31, 33, 35-50, 54-59, 61, 62. Runners-up: CoH 52
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:42 am

Qazox wrote:just posting this here

Didn't know that Mike Trout was Chuck Norris' bastard love child. ;)

love what his avatar says. :rofl:
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Christmahanikwanzikah
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 24, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Christmahanikwanzikah » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:26 pm

For those that get irritated by listening to their network broadcasters, or just play-by-play announcing in general, MLB.tv Premium allows you to parse out all but the field mics so that you can listen to the game (sort of) as if you were there.

Just thought I'd drop this in here, since it's actually pretty interesting and since other baseball fans here (*cough*Smunkee*cough*) have mentioned that they're annoyed by the extra voices.

Williamson
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Williamson » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:54 am

Wait the philles are stil in the wild card hunt. How the **** did that happen.

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:37 am

SkillCrossbones wrote:If anyone wants to feel better about their own team, here's the Pirates defensive hilarity from yesterday, in convenient video form.

So unkind of you. They are tense; trying too hard. It happens.

If Philly gets in the playoffs after their joke of a season, I will shout "conspiracy!"
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:31 pm

Pope Joan wrote:
SkillCrossbones wrote:If anyone wants to feel better about their own team, here's the Pirates defensive hilarity from yesterday, in convenient video form.

If Philly gets in the playoffs after their joke of a season, I will shout "conspiracy!"

C-O-N..SPIRACY!!! (what movie/TV show is that from???)

Not the Phils fault they finally got healthy and decided not to play like shit the same time the NL is acting like that the Season ended on Sept. 3rd.
Baptism of Fire 44 (w/Mangolana); World Baseball Classics 1, 4, 5, 10, 13 and 23; World Cup of Hockey 7 and 14; World Bowls IV & IX; IBC X; Baptism of Iron III and VIII; NSCAA Tourney II, III (conferences/regionals), The OXEN Cup; the TOUR de QAZOX, Qazoxian Sports Festival and NS X-Games/Winter X-Games I.
World Cups of Hockey 4 & 6; World Baseball Classics 6, 8 and 9, World Bowls 3 and XXI; Draggonnii Inviyatii V, IBC XI
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Founded: Aug 20, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:40 am

Qazox wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:

Not the Phils fault they finally got healthy and decided not to play like shit the same time the NL is acting like that the Season ended on Sept. 3rd.

And I thougt it was just the yankee's who were trying to better bostons last years end of season play.
https://www.hvst.com/posts/the-clash-of ... s-wl2TQBpY

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:08 pm

Derek Jeter in now in the Top 10 all time in hits, passing Willie Mays tonight.

How high up the list will he go?

Pete Rose	 4,256
Ty Cobb 4,191
Hank Aaron 3,771
Stan Musial 3,630
Tris Speaker 3,515
Honus Wagner 3,430
Carl Yastrzemski 3,419
Paul Molitor 3,319
Eddie Collins 3,314
Derek Jeter 3,285
Willie Mays 3,283

If he plays only 1 more season, he'll wind up around Honus Wagner's total. If he plays 2 more seasons, he'll be just behind Stan Musial's number. I don't think Jeter will get 4000 hits. 3600.. possibly but not too much more than that.
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Enormous Gentiles
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 16, 2008
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Enormous Gentiles » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:37 pm

Qazox wrote:C-O-N..SPIRACY!!! (what movie/TV show is that from???)

In Living Colour

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwz9RAVou1U
Hammurab: Homosexuality is an abomination in the eyes of God. If you look God in the eye, you see nothing but a trillion angels assfucking.

New Imperial Clans: Shit, we all used to be bacteria, that doesn't mean I want to live up Lady Gaga's twat with the rest of the races.

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:46 pm

Enormous Gentiles wrote:
Qazox wrote:C-O-N..SPIRACY!!! (what movie/TV show is that from???)

In Living Colour

Yay you win the prize... your choice of either of these photos being tattooed onto your chest:
A: Image

or

B:Image

Seriously, though, it's been 20+ years since that sketch, and I still remember it and think it's funny.
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Enormous Gentiles
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 16, 2008
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Enormous Gentiles » Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:05 pm

Qazox wrote:
Enormous Gentiles wrote:
In Living Colour

Yay you win the prize... your choice of either of these photos being tattooed onto your chest:
A: Image

or

B:Image

Seriously, though, it's been 20+ years since that sketch, and I still remember it and think it's funny.

No room on my chest, I've already got these.

Hammurab: Homosexuality is an abomination in the eyes of God. If you look God in the eye, you see nothing but a trillion angels assfucking.

New Imperial Clans: Shit, we all used to be bacteria, that doesn't mean I want to live up Lady Gaga's twat with the rest of the races.

TaQud
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby TaQud » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:17 am

Qazox wrote:Derek Jeter in now in the Top 10 all time in hits, passing Willie Mays tonight.

Pete Rose	 4,256
Ty Cobb 4,191
Hank Aaron 3,771
Stan Musial 3,630
Tris Speaker 3,515
Honus Wagner 3,430
Carl Yastrzemski 3,419
Paul Molitor 3,319
Eddie Collins 3,314
Derek Jeter 3,285
Willie Mays 3,283

If he plays only 1 more season, he'll wind up around Honus Wagner's total. If he plays 2 more seasons, he'll be just behind Stan Musial's number. I don't think Jeter will get 4000 hits. 3600.. possibly but not too much more than that.

I say he'll get between Wagner and Speaker....
CENTRIST Economic Left/Right: 0.62 Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46
List Your Sexuality, nickname(s), NSG Family and Friends, your NS Boyfriend or Girlfriend, gender, favorite quotes and anything else that shows your ego here.
(Because I couldn't live without knowing who was part of NSG Family or what your nickname was. I was panicking for days! I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep I was so worried that I'd would never know and have to live without knowing this! /sarcasm)
2013 Best signature Award

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:05 am

Qazox wrote:Derek Jeter in now in the Top 10 all time in hits, passing Willie Mays tonight.

Pete Rose	 4,256
Ty Cobb 4,191
Hank Aaron 3,771
Stan Musial 3,630
Tris Speaker 3,515
Honus Wagner 3,430
Carl Yastrzemski 3,419
Paul Molitor 3,319
Eddie Collins 3,314
Derek Jeter 3,285
Willie Mays 3,283

He is signed for two more seasons. He will be 40 then, if arod were not signed they could move him to third.

If I remember right, rose finished his career as a 1st basemen.

The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion … but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact; non-Westerners never do.
--S. Huntington

The most fundamental problem of politics is not the control of wickedness but the limitation of righteousness. 

--H. Kissenger

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:

Pete Rose	 4,256
Ty Cobb 4,191
Hank Aaron 3,771
Stan Musial 3,630
Tris Speaker 3,515
Honus Wagner 3,430
Carl Yastrzemski 3,419
Paul Molitor 3,319
Eddie Collins 3,314
Derek Jeter 3,285
Willie Mays 3,283

He is signed for two more seasons. He will be 40 then, if arod were not signed they could move him to third.

Yep.

If Jeter really wanted to, He could be a DH (very unlikely) and play until he's 44-45. If he did so, then I can see him getting 4500 easy.
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

2 weeks left... AL Playoff Picture

Postby Qazox » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:12 pm

with 2 weeks left who in who's out? (as of 2:00am EDT tonight)

AL EAST
Yankees  ----
Orioles -0.5
Rays -6.5

The Rays I think are done. unless Balt or NY goes 3-11 down the stretch.

AL CENTRAL
White Sox ----
Tigers -2.0

Tigers will catch the White Sox, as they have the easier schedule remaining of the two and they have the season series tiebreaker.

AL WEST
Rangers   ----
A's -4.0
Angels -7.5

Angels aren't going to win the division. If the A's take 3 of 4 from the Rangers next Mon-Thurs, then they could catch them for the divison. If they split or worse, the Rangers will get it.

AL WILD CARDS
Orioles    ---- #1
A's -0.5 #2
Angels -3.5
Tigers -5.0
Rays -5.5

Tigers have the easiest Schedule left, and the O's play Boston and Toronto. Rays need lots of help, and the A's have a tough schedule over the next week. The Angels need to go on a 6 or 7 game winning streak to have a shot.

MY PREDICTION:
EAST: Orioles
CENTRAL: Tigers
WEST: Rangers
WC #1: Yankees
WC #2: A's
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

2 weeks left... NL Playoff Picture

Postby Qazox » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:23 pm

NL EAST:
Nationals: ----
Braves: -5.0

Braves have an easier schedule, but the Nat's are just ahead eonugh that they'll barely hold onto the division

NL CENTRAL: Unless the Reds go 0-14, they'll win the division.

NL WEST: Unless the Giants got 4-10 or worse, they'll win the division.

Both the Nats and Reds just need 1 win (or a Dodgers loss) to clinch playoff berths.
NL WILD CARD:
Braves:     ---- #1
Cardinals: -6.5 #2
Dodgers: -8.5
Brewers: -9.0
Phillies: -10.5
D'Backs: -11.0
Pirates: -11.0

Braves are too far ahead to not clinch the wild Card.
Of the other 6 teams: D'backs and Pirates need to win 6 or 7 in a row; Phillies and Brewers need to go at least 10-4, while the Cards and Dodgers just need not to go on a 4-5 game losing streak, and hope the other one does.

MY PREDICTION:
EAST: Nationals
CENTRAL: Reds
WEST: Giants
WC #1: Braves
WC #2: Cardinals.
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:04 am

Qazox wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Yep.

If Jeter really wanted to, He could be a DH (very unlikely) and play until he's 44-45. If he did so, then I can see him getting 4500 easy.

Ichiro combined is close to 4000 hits combined. He has said he wants to play next year. Where does he stand?

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:53 am

Ethel mermania wrote:
Qazox wrote:
Yep.

Ichiro combined is close to 4000 hits combined. He has said he wants to play next year. Where does he stand?

Ichiro has 3820 combined hits, which would place him 3rd all-time behind only Pete Rose and Ty Cobb.
Last edited by Qazox on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:17 am

Qazox wrote:
Pope Joan wrote:

So why don't you go lose a series to the lowly Astros, then. It would be a fitting comeuppance.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:31 am

Qazox wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Ichiro has 3820 combined hits, which would place him 3rd all-time behind only Pete Rose and Ty Cobb.

When you think of total hits, do you consider him 3rd all time? If he plays 2 more years he has a real chance to break rose's record.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

Qazox
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Qazox » Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:55 pm

Ethel mermania wrote:
Qazox wrote:

When you think of total hits, do you consider him 3rd all time? If he plays 2 more years he has a real chance to break rose's record.

Ohhh, tough question. I don't know which way to choose. If so, then Sadaharu Oh's the all-time HR king (not Hank Aaron [don't get me started on Barry Bonds...]) . If not, then Ichiro's just a guy that feel short of 3000 hits. Personally, since Japanese Baseball is just a hair below MLB, all his hits should count.

Congrats to the Reds and Nats for making the playoffs.
xkcd 1110 (zoomable!)

SkillCrossbones
Diplomat

Postby SkillCrossbones » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:07 pm

Chris Carpenter, who prior to the season began, was injured and presumed to miss the rest of the season, has returned to the Cardinals and has started today.

He had a rib surgically removed. That rib is currently sitting in his bathroom at home.

First time on the mound since starting and winning Game 7 of the World Series.
Last edited by SkillCrossbones on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The contents of this post may not be reproduced or disseminated without the express written consent of the office of the President of SkillCrossbones

Ethel mermania
Post Overlord

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Ethel mermania » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:14 pm

Qazox wrote:
Ethel mermania wrote:

Ohhh, tough question. I don't know which way to choose. If so, then Sadaharu Oh's the all-time HR king (not Hank Aaron [don't get me started on Barry Bonds...]) . If not, then Ichiro's just a guy that feel short of 3000 hits. Personally, since Japanese Baseball is just a hair below MLB, all his hits should count.

Congrats to the Reds and Nats for making the playoffs.

I know its hypocritical, but I agree with you completely.

I just don't consider Oh, the home run hitting champion. It is hammering hank, But if ichiro breaks roses record combined I would think of ichiro as hits leader. Maybe because he has excelled in MLB for so many years, but I put more creedence in his numbers, than I do Oh's.

--S. Huntington

--H. Kissenger

SkillCrossbones
Diplomat

Postby SkillCrossbones » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:21 pm

Also, Melky Cabrera is not eligible for the NL batting title.

I don't like this revisionist history business. Just leave it the way it is.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General