NATION

PASSWORD

AR-15

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Asyrica
Attaché

Founded: Jan 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Asyrica » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:05 pm

Mosasauria wrote:
The Realm of God wrote:
Meh. Your Choice.

I like AKs better there is a reason there the planets most popular weapon.

I'm tempted to be an AK-Nazi here...
The only reason they're used so much is due to how cheap they are.

Shouldn't Kel-Tecs be even more common then? Cheapness plays into it, but it's not the only reason.

The AK is undeniably less finicky than the AR, which is more important than accuracy in the majority of the countries where they are used (see: Third World). Anyone who says otherwise has not had a chance to compare them both firsthand.
One of me is a puppet.

Grinning Dragon
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 16, 2011
Anarchy

Postby Grinning Dragon » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:10 pm

Chevrolet Corvette wrote:Just bought myself a AR-15 yesterday love it

Was wondering if anyone else has one or is getting one?? Ohh and i bought mine before dumbass obama tries to make them illegal again (since he is against gun ownership)

Also wondering what guns everyone owns as well

Welcome fellow AR-15 owner. HA
I have an Olympic Arms AR15 that is chambered for either .223 or 5.56NATO, also have 30 30 rd mags, and have recently purchased a Slide Fire SSAR-15 Bump Fire Stock
Here is a youtube video of one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U6tORrODJE

There are so MANY accessories to choose from for this rifle, if you haven't looked into quad rails for your AR, have a look around and might also want to see about a scope.
I have no doubt you will enjoy your new rifle and send many rounds down range.

Napkiraly
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Napkiraly » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Ravineworld wrote:Guns are the greatest thing about this country. Without guns, there would be no threat of rebellion if the politicians break the rules set by the constitution. Guns are our countries protection against the banksters and the crooks in government.

Well they seem to be doing a pretty good job of screwing up America already, so this argument is invalid.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 23, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:17 pm

Mad Monarch wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:
You made a ridiculous statement about convicted murders and assault rifles. Convicted criminals should not be able to own firearms. They lose that right, along with the right to vote in most states.

Which is the main point of gun licensing. To stop convicted felons and the severely mentally ill from getting weapons.

And like I said, some states have taken it to the extremes. We need a more happy medium between Massachusetts and Florida's systems.

Actually, the NICS background check is what's supposed to prevent felons and those adjudicated mentally defective from getting firearms.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

Any accident you can walk away from is one I can laugh at.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:18 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Lolwut?

:rofl:

You have to build them before anyone can confiscate them.

You missed the joke. Look at what I bolded again. :p
Last edited by Gun Manufacturers on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control is like trying to solve drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to own cars.

DOJ's interpretation of the 2nd Amendment: http://www.justice.gov/sites/default/fi ... -p0126.pdf

Natapoc wrote:...You should post more in here so I don't seem like the extremist...

Auraelius wrote:If you take the the TITANIC, and remove the letters T, T, and one of the I's, and add the letters C,O,S,P,R, and Y you get CONSPIRACY. oOooOooooOOOooooOOOOOOoooooooo

Maineiacs wrote:Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat and get drunk all day.

Luw wrote:Politics is like having two handfuls of shit - one that smells bad and one that looks bad - and having to decide which one to put in your mouth.

Galla-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Galla- » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:19 pm

Asyrica wrote:
Mosasauria wrote:I'm tempted to be an AK-Nazi here...

Shouldn't Kel-Tecs be even more common then? Cheapness plays into it, but it's not the only reason.

The AK is undeniably less finicky than the AR, which is more important than accuracy in the majority of the countries where they are used (see: Third World). Anyone who says otherwise has not had a chance to compare them both firsthand.

Anyone who says likewise does not understand how to use the AKM's sights. It is sufficiently accurate to hit a man sized target at 300m. There is nothing magical about the M16 that gives it super accuracy, it simply has a flatter shooting cartridge.

And the M16 is sufficiently reliable to be able to be considered functional in all environments. It's only finicky around dust and sand, since it requires a very lubricated bolt, and the ejection port does not automatically close off to protect the bolt from dust and sand.
Hello humans. I am Sporekin, specifically a European Umber-Brown Puffball (or more formally, Lycoperdon umbrinum). Ask me anything.
Fashiontopia wrote:Look don't come here talking bad about Americans, that will get you cussed out faster than relativity.

Besides: Most posters in this thread are Americans, and others who are non-Americans have no problems co-existing so shut that trap...

New Nicksyllvania - Unjustly Deleted 6/14/11

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:24 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:Cool! You're pretty lucky, lol. I haven't got any military-grade rifles. The only gun I really own is a break-action single-shot hunting rifle; but it's in .223 Remi nonetheless. My father, however, has something of a collection of firearms, one of which is his Cold War M16A2. I've shot the M16 in the past, and it's quite a nice gun.

My best friend recently bought an SKS; he already had a Moisin-Nagant, but it was somewhat big and unwieldy in his opinion (he's pretty short) and he wanted something that could fire the 7.62x39mm round. I haven't got a chance to see the SKS, but the Nagant is pretty sweet. Both of those guns are Curio and Relic firearms, so it's easier to have them since it requires less constitutionally-questionable bureaucracy and red tape. I'm something of a gun enthusiast, and I like to go shooting, but my single-shot rifle isn't the best for that, even though I can mount a scope on it. So I've been thinking about purchasing something along the lines of an SKS or something. Anyone have any suggestions?

It depends on what you want to do with it. A Ruger 10/22 can be a fun, inexpensive (to shoot) firearm if you're just looking to punch paper. If you're looking for a hunting firearm in a larger caliber than your single shot, the SKS, Ruger Mini-30 (uses the 7.62x39mm round like the SKS), various C&R mil-surp rifles, etc would be good.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:24 pm

New Sapienta wrote:What possible reason could you have for getting an Assault rifle?

What reason does anyone buy a gun in America or any other reason for? To shoot it.
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

Mad Monarch
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad Monarch » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:27 pm

Gun Manufacturers wrote:
Mad Monarch wrote:Which is the main point of gun licensing. To stop convicted felons and the severely mentally ill from getting weapons.

And like I said, some states have taken it to the extremes. We need a more happy medium between Massachusetts and Florida's systems.

Actually, the NICS background check is what's supposed to prevent felons and those adjudicated mentally defective from getting firearms.

Read my bit after this about gun education.

Asyrica
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Asyrica » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Galla- wrote:
Asyrica wrote:

Anyone who says likewise does not understand how to use the AKM's sights. It is sufficiently accurate to hit a man sized target at 300m. There is nothing magical about the M16 that gives it super accuracy, it simply has a flatter shooting cartridge.

And the M16 is sufficiently reliable to be able to be considered functional in all environments. It's only finicky around dust and sand, since it requires a very lubricated bolt, and the ejection port does not automatically close off to protect the bolt from dust and sand.

I think you might be misreading what I'm saying.

I'm well aware of both those things. If the AK was a scatter-gun like many people imply when they make the accuracy argument, then it would not be one of the world's most popular weapons. It's as functionally accurate as the AR is within it's intended range. I was just trying to avoid the inevitable "BUT THE AR IS ACCURATE" comments.

Your second point doesn't seem like an argument to me. If it wasn't reliable enough to be considered functional, then it wouldn't be one of the most popular weapons out there. However, I don't think the majority of third world militias spend much time impressing the importance of a clean gun on their members. Accordingly, the gun that can function dirty is the better choice for those nations.
One of me is a puppet.

Gun Manufacturers
Postmaster-General

Postby Gun Manufacturers » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:31 pm

Mad Monarch wrote:
Blazedtown wrote:
I'm talking about the background check you get when you buy a gun. Not licensing.

The current system requires a license so you don't end up emptying a clip by accident as well as the background checks.

No it doesn't. I bought my AR15 before I had my CT Pistol Permit (about 4 years before). Since I didn't have my permit, all it took was a 2 week waiting period (imposed by the state of CT).

The Realm of God
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby The Realm of God » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:34 pm

Asyrica wrote:
Galla- wrote:

I'm well aware of both those things. If the AK was a scatter-gun like many people imply when they make the accuracy argument, then it would not be one of the world's most popular weapons. It's as functionally accurate as the AR is within it's intended range. I was just trying to avoid the inevitable "BUT THE AR IS ACCURATE" comments.

Your second point doesn't seem like an argument to me. If it wasn't reliable enough to be considered functional, then it wouldn't be one of the most popular weapons out there. However, I don't think the majority of third world militias spend much time impressing the importance of a clean gun on their members. Accordingly, the gun that can function dirty is the better choice for those nations.

Ok I have to train a local militia of usually pacifistic people who want to protect there families. If I have 1 day to do it I need to use the AK because it does not need to be cared for very well and has common ammunition. If I had a week I would use the m16 I need a week to teach people to care for it and to drill people in its complex workings and cleaning techniques.

The ease of use and learning curve make the Kalash the better weapon.
British, Orthodox Christian, humanist and stoic.

Pro. Disraelian Progressive Conservatism, One Nation Toryism, Distributionism, Civil Liberties, Pro UK, Pro US Constitution. Pro USA.

Progressive Conservative Economic Right: 0.38 Social Libertarian -2.00.

Christian Democrat NSG Senate.

Idaho Conservatives
Minister

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Idaho Conservatives » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:37 pm

The Realm of God wrote:
Asyrica wrote:

Ok I have to train a local militia of usually pacifistic people who want to protect there families. If I have 1 day to do it I need to use the AK because it does not need to be cared for very well and has common ammunition. If I had a week I would use the m16 I need a week to teach people to care for it and to drill people in its complex workings and cleaning techniques.

The ease of use and learning curve make the Kalash the better weapon.

Or maybe it's because AKs are available by the metric fuckton for dirt cheap? I do think that the AK is the better gun, but it's certainly not because it takes less time to learn how to clean.
Last edited by Idaho Conservatives on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way" --General George S. Patton

If You're A Fellow Ham, TG me!!!
KF7LCE

Asyrica
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Asyrica » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:42 pm

The Realm of God wrote:
Asyrica wrote:

That's more or less what I'm saying.

In so far as the "best" weapon, they both have quite a few good qualities that are exclusive to each of them. Which is the "best" varies dependant on the specific needs of the user. The AK is more common because of the reasons described above, not because it's all that different from a maintained AR in terms of effectiveness.

Idaho Conservatives wrote:Or maybe it's because AKs are available by the metric fuckton for dirt cheap? I do think that the AK is the better gun, but it's certainly not because it takes less time to learn how to clean.

If you'd bothered to read the rest of the posts on this page, you'd see I said that that indeed is part of it. It's just not the only reason that it's so common.
Last edited by Asyrica on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
One of me is a puppet.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:44 pm

The AK line does not stop at the AK-47, which for the record is one of the least common AK variants aside from the AK-12 of which only prototypes exist and you all actually mean the AKM, the AK-74 rectifies almost every issue the AKM had, largely in its ammunition's ability to wound.
Call me Para.
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).

Asyrica
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Asyrica » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:47 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:The AK line does not stop at the AK-47, which for the record is one of the least common AK variants aside from the AK-12 of which only prototypes exist and you all actually mean the AKM, the AK-74 rectifies almost every issue the AKM had, largely in its ammunition's ability to wound.

Don't look at me. I've been simply refering to it as the AK or AK-series for exactly those reasons.
One of me is a puppet.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:48 pm

It has to be said anywhere there is a discussion on the AR-15 platform, because someone inevitably brings up "z0mg ak-47 r teh ossum". Which is, funnily enough, probably wrong, but correct when applied to AKM or later.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:20 pm

I prefer the AK. Its a bit heavier, but the cost saving is much more to my liking.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Anti-Obamaland
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Anti-Obamaland » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:29 pm

New Sapienta wrote:What possible reason could you have for getting an Assault rifle?

Uh, because it is our RIGHT to own such a weapon.

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

Anti-Obamaland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Anti-Obamaland » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:32 pm

Asyrica wrote:
Mosasauria wrote:I'm tempted to be an AK-Nazi here...

If you CLEAN your AR, it will function just as well.

Anti-Obamaland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Anti-Obamaland » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:36 pm

Napkiraly wrote:
Ravineworld wrote:Guns are the greatest thing about this country. Without guns, there would be no threat of rebellion if the politicians break the rules set by the constitution. Guns are our countries protection against the banksters and the crooks in government.

Well they seem to be doing a pretty good job of screwing up America already, so this argument is invalid.

Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Guns are just the implement. You could kill just as easily with a lot of other things-poison, knife, razor et al. HE is right that politicians should fear the populace because with it reversed, that is called TYRANNY.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:36 pm

Anti-Obamaland wrote:
Asyrica wrote:

Yes, but that fact alone makes it more finicky.
Last edited by Samozaryadnyastan on Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Para.
^ trufax

Ahtreil
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ahtreil » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:38 pm

Well.. I am a pacifist, so i am not planning on getting any weapon anytime soon..

But well.. as long as you don't go on a homicidal rampage, i guess it's good that you have something that you wanted..
My real life views are not represented by my nation, or by acts performed by my nation
Volnotova wrote:
Hippostania wrote:Wealth means that you are successful.

"Get's 100 million inheritance"

Doingitright amright?

Asyrica
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Asyrica » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:40 pm

Anti-Obamaland wrote:
Asyrica wrote:

If you READ the rest of the comments, you'll see I fully agree with you.
One of me is a puppet.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:42 pm

Chevrolet Corvette wrote:
Augustus Este wrote:Obama isn't opposed to gun ownership, most on the left aren't either.

supporting gun licensing ≠ being against gun ownership

And its really hard to get some of those license which is stupid but also hear from several gun dealers that obama is pushing to eliminate assault rifles from the market which is BS

So, what you're saying is that a guy trying to sell you a gun has told you that someone is going to try to elimanate that gun from the market so you better buy one now...

Well...I must say...that is compelling. I mean, why would a guy who is selling you a gun mislead you about something like that?

Galla- wrote:
2) Then teach firearms safety in schools. It'll cut down on those school shootings and children will be less inclined to see rifles as toys. You don't see scissors or knives as toys because they teach you safety about them. Same as any other tool, really.

This always cracks me up when I see it after shootings. "If only we taught gun safety!" It sort of implies that during one of these shootings the perpetrators were going, "Oops! OopsoopsoopsSorry!Sorry!oops!" sitting there surrounded by bodies..."Wait, guns can hurt people?" The people who go on shooting rampages, or shoot each other or bystanders...they used the gun properly. They aimed it at something they wanted dead and shot it. There wasn't a misuse there, that's what guns do. A gun safety course might have reminded them to use both hands, but other than that...
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General