NATION

PASSWORD

A Question for you Humans

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Pendragonia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pendragonia » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:04 pm

Holy Lands of Christendom wrote: And as for monogamy, it's a myth.

Sure it's a myth. Just like all the people who I know who have been monogamous with one and only one person their entire lives. :roll:
Formerly the Free Land of Metroarachnidanopolis.

"He who dares not offend, cannot be honest."-Thomas Paine

The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:14 pm

Holy Lands of Christendom wrote:It's quite simple: evolution. And as for monogamy, it's a myth. It was created in a deeply conservative post- second world war era that encouraged religious and sexual conformity. Humans will always be attracted to multiple humans because that is part of our nature. Throughout history, there have mistresses, concubines, slaves, etc that have filled this need. Socialization is the driving factor that keeps this strict monogamous style going.

Huh.

Where exactly did you get that little gem of a theory?
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

Pope Joan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Pope Joan » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:27 pm

I think it is our evolutionary fate, so I partly agree with Holy Lands.

We are hard wired to communicate, to speak and listen, look and respond; we are made to relate, it's in our genes.

Us humans, that is.
Last edited by Pope Joan on Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Life is difficult".

-M. Scott Peck

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:56 pm

What is my reason for a relationship? I like it, she likes it, and it's an amusing, enlightening, and heathy diversion in what is usually just a slow walk to the grave.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:57 pm

Pendragonia wrote:
Holy Lands of Christendom wrote: And as for monogamy, it's a myth.

Sure it's a myth. Just like all the people who I know who have been monogamous with one and only one person their entire lives. :roll:

Well, it's not a myth. It just works for some, but not for others. And that's generally ok provided that the two don't often mix.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:00 pm

Because being with people whom we relate to well makes us happy and feel less alone. Just because you don't see the value in relationships doesn't mean you get to make assumptions about people who do. Not everyone has to have your view of the world.
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

The Congregationists
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Congregationists » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:01 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:I have a question for you humans. What is the purpose of relationships? What end do they serve? What is the goal, the reason that you pursue them? I see only two.

1. The consolidation of material resources to better ensure the survival of your offspring and yourselves.

2. In the sexual economy, serial monogamy is a Nash equilibrium which minimizes sexual jealousy.

These seem to be the only purposes of a relationship. Am I wrong?

Any doubt that I might have had that you are, in fact, a Star Trek villain has been completely erased. You WILL run into Captain Kirk and he WILL talk you into self destructing. It's just a matter of time.
•Criticism of sentimental love, marriage, sex, religion, and rituals.
•Valuing reason over emotion and imagination
•Ironic, indirect, and impersonal (objective) representation of ideas.
•Uncompromising criticism of romantic illusions.
•Advocacy of pragmatism and disapproval of idealism and ideology.
•Especially vehement opposition to neo-liberalism, social democracy, communism, libertarianism and feminism.
•Satirisation of irrational and whimsical attitudes of the so-called creative class.
•Criticism of social, political, cultural, and moral customs and manners of the contemporary society.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:01 pm

To disrespect women. There, you caught us.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:15 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:To find another person with whom you can share the beauty of life with.

What does this even mean?

Next on NSG, we study the trading of goods with people who you share a genetic or social connection with, named "Christmas"
Last edited by SD_Film Artists on Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:16 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:I have a question for you humans. What is the purpose of relationships? What end do they serve? What is the goal, the reason that you pursue them? I see only two.

1. The consolidation of material resources to better ensure the survival of your offspring and yourselves.

2. In the sexual economy, serial monogamy is a Nash equilibrium which minimizes sexual jealousy.

Am I to presume that 4ST is no longer human?

I, being religious, believe relationships result in a drawing nearer to God.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:24 pm

Distruzio wrote:I, being religious, believe relationships result in a drawing nearer to God.

Through kinky sex. :p

Why Yahweh, I had no idea...
Last edited by Seperates on Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:29 pm

Seperates wrote:
Distruzio wrote:
Am I to presume that 4ST is no longer human?

I, being religious, believe relationships result in a drawing nearer to God.

Through kinky sex. :p

I'm just saying, bro, that buddy didn't 'bless' me (if you know whatimsayin *raises eyebrow) if he wasn't interested in hearing his praise every night.

/falls before icon of Christ and prays for forgiveness.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:30 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Seperates wrote:Through kinky sex. :p

I'm just saying, bro, that buddy didn't 'bless' me (if you know whatimsayin *raises eyebrow) if he wasn't interested in hearing his praise every night.

/falls before icon of Christ and prays for forgiveness.

:twisted: If there is a hell you and I are going to it together. :hug:

Makes it more interesting.

Ahtreil
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ahtreil » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:42 pm

Well, i don't see the meaning behind a relationship.

I guess, if you believe in this easily abusable theory of ''Love'', you might fall in ''love'' with someone else, and you get married and have kids, to keep this species alive...

That's not anything i care about, and i don't wanna have kids. Sorry, but we're already overpopulated, and adding to the problem doesn't solve it..
My real life views are not represented by my nation, or by acts performed by my nation
Volnotova wrote:
Hippostania wrote:Wealth means that you are successful.

"Get's 100 million inheritance"

Doingitright amright?

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:42 pm

Ifreann wrote:We're all doing it to piss you off.

I'm not... I'm only doing it to mildly annoy him.
Such heroic nonsense!

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:43 pm

Tekania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:We're all doing it to piss you off.

I think we should do the guy a favor and introduce him to some girls, some guys... whoever.
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

Ende
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ende » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:45 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Tekania wrote:

I think we should do the guy a favor and introduce him to some girls, some guys... whoever.

I agree. The guy is like, a Vulcan. Being a Vulcan is no fun.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:00 pm

Ende wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:I think we should do the guy a favor and introduce him to some girls, some guys... whoever.

I agree. The guy is like, a Vulcan. Being a Vulcan is no fun.

No, even Vulcans go bat shit nuts with lust and screw once every 7 years.
Such heroic nonsense!

The Congregationists
Ambassador

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Congregationists » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:13 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:To disrespect women. There, you caught us.

Heh ... you're spending too much time on social media, dude. :D
•Criticism of sentimental love, marriage, sex, religion, and rituals.
•Valuing reason over emotion and imagination
•Ironic, indirect, and impersonal (objective) representation of ideas.
•Uncompromising criticism of romantic illusions.
•Advocacy of pragmatism and disapproval of idealism and ideology.
•Especially vehement opposition to neo-liberalism, social democracy, communism, libertarianism and feminism.
•Satirisation of irrational and whimsical attitudes of the so-called creative class.
•Criticism of social, political, cultural, and moral customs and manners of the contemporary society.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:31 pm

The Congregationists wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:To disrespect women. There, you caught us.

Heh ... you're spending too much time on social media, dude. :D

Eh, what do I know about disrespecting women anyway? :p

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Mad Monarch
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Mad Monarch » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:43 pm

I ask girls out because the time we are together is a lot of fun for both of us, and, despite the painful end, it always ends up giving me a positive net amount of endorphin (or whatever the "make me happy" hormone is).

I also do it to annoy people like you who can't seem to get up the courage to ask someone out.

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:45 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:I have a question for you humans. What is the purpose of relationships?

Pleasure; utility/pleasure gained as a result of spending time with others.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:47 pm

As I said to you before, my friend. I see no logical purpose, but we are not entirely logical human beings. I know I couldn't live being a wholesome logical being - I couldn't bear it. I can barely bear with my current self now, but I hold on.

WestPhalia666
Secretary

Founded: Dec 24, 2011
Ex-Nation

I put two dollars in a bible in Southland

Postby WestPhalia666 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:48 pm

I put two dollars in a bible in Southland

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:58 pm

Hah! You've given away the game now my friend! "A question for you humans?"

I think you are in fact an alien being, sent here to decipher the sexual and emotional behaviours of mankind!

Don't worry, I can see through your facade, I only hope your goals are to further the knowledge of your species rather than find weaknesses that will lead to our destruction...
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General