NATION

PASSWORD

Should unmarried people have the same rights as married ppl?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Should inheritance tax rights be extended to unmarried people?

Yes
70%
No
30%

Total votes : 20

Antebellum South
Lobbyist

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Should unmarried people have the same rights as married ppl?

Postby Antebellum South » Fri May 29, 2009 1:21 pm

Heterosexual married couples enjoy certain financial benefits such as exemptions from the inheritance tax. This is one of the rights and benefits of marriage in the US fought for by homosexual couples. However, unmarried people are unable to transmit their assets to other individuals without gigantic inheritance tax penalties. Do you believe inheritance tax cuts should be extended to unmarried people? Do you believe it is right to use government legislation to create economic pressure against the single and/or unmarried life?

Sorry for the abbreviation in the thread title.. space limitations.
Last edited by Antebellum South on Fri May 29, 2009 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Re: Should unmarried people have the same rights as married ppl?

Postby Galloism » Fri May 29, 2009 1:22 pm

Antebellum South wrote:Heterosexual married couples enjoy certain financial benefits such as exemption from the inheritance tax.

:blink:

No they don't. They do get certain bonuses and exemptions, but that one ain't one of em.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Antebellum South
Lobbyist

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Antebellum South » Fri May 29, 2009 1:27 pm

Fixed.

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Fri May 29, 2009 1:28 pm

Galloism wrote:
Antebellum South wrote:Heterosexual married couples enjoy certain financial benefits such as exemption from the inheritance tax.

:blink:

No they don't. They do get certain bonuses and exemptions, but that one ain't one of em.
I don't think anyone gets exempted from that tax. :blink:

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri May 29, 2009 1:28 pm

Antebellum South wrote:Fixed.

Poll lacks a "Wtf?" option.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri May 29, 2009 1:29 pm

Gauntleted Fist wrote:I don't think anyone gets exempted from that tax. :blink:

Under current law, $3.5 million this year. Any estate worth less than that doesn't even have to fill out the form.
Last edited by Galloism on Fri May 29, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Fri May 29, 2009 1:30 pm

Galloism wrote:Under current law, $3.5 million this year. Any estate worth less than that doesn't even have to fill out the form.
My statement could have been worded better, yes.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri May 29, 2009 1:31 pm

Gauntleted Fist wrote:
Galloism wrote:Under current law, $3.5 million this year. Any estate worth less than that doesn't even have to fill out the form.

Well, I just factually correct things out of habit.

By the way, that doesn't change regardless of marital status of the deceased or the recipient, so I have no idea what this thread is about.

Farnhamia Redux
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Farnhamia Redux » Fri May 29, 2009 1:34 pm

Galloism wrote:
Gauntleted Fist wrote:

Well, I just factually correct things out of habit.

By the way, that doesn't change regardless of marital status of the deceased or the recipient, so I have no idea what this thread is about.

Good point. When you inherit something from your spouse, you are - not even technically - single.
Since when is reality a popularity contest? ~ VoijaRisa

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri May 29, 2009 1:38 pm

Farnhamia Redux wrote:Good point. When you inherit something from your spouse, you are - not even technically - single.

Technically, you're married until the end of the year in which your spouse died.

WTF thing of the day:

If your spouse dies in the middle of the year, you can consider yourself married to your spouse for the whole year, and file a joint tax return. You must write "Deceased" in the signature line.

If your spouse dies and you get remarried before the end of the year, you are considered married to your new spouse for filing purposes, but your dead spouse is still considered married to you. Therefore, you should file married filing joint with your new spouse, while the dead one has to file married filing separately - not single.

This is the only case where one spouse can itemize deductions without affecting the tax return of the other spouse. If you itemize, then your dead spouse must also itemize. However, if your dead spouse itemizes, you do not have to itemize.

Ah, I love discussing tax law in the morning.

Cameroi
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Cameroi » Fri May 29, 2009 1:42 pm

pretty much, and i think they mostly do. depends on which rights in what context we're talking about.
this is one of those places where what rights are right is massively context dependent.

rights to name beneficiaries, rights to have sex between consenting adults, rights to share living arrangements. sure. visitation rights under unusual conditions; well sometimes there's a real extreme need for some sort of filtering.

i guess it depends on what part of what world we're talking about too.

in some mundane world places rights ARE almost exactly the same, and in others they are extremely different.
truth isn't what i say. isn't what you say. isn't what anybody says. truth is what is there, when no one is saying anything.

"economic freedom" is "the cake"
=^^=
.../\...

Dolbri
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dolbri » Fri May 29, 2009 1:43 pm

Galloism wrote:
Farnhamia Redux wrote:Good point. When you inherit something from your spouse, you are - not even technically - single.

Technically, you're married until the end of the year in which your spouse died.

WTF thing of the day:

If your spouse dies in the middle of the year, you can consider yourself married to your spouse for the whole year, and file a joint tax return. You must write "Deceased" in the signature line.

If your spouse dies and you get remarried before the end of the year, you are considered married to your new spouse for filing purposes, but your dead spouse is still considered married to you. Therefore, you should file married filing joint with your new spouse, while the dead one has to file married filing separately - not single.

This is the only case where one spouse can itemize deductions without affecting the tax return of the other spouse. If you itemize, then your dead spouse must also itemize. However, if your dead spouse itemizes, you do not have to itemize.

Ah, I love discussing tax law in the morning.

After reading this, I think I prefer the smell of napalm.
"Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world." ~Schopenhauer
Project Gutenberg needs your help

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Fri May 29, 2009 1:56 pm

Dolbri wrote:After reading this, I think I prefer the smell of napalm.

*sucks the fun out of the room*

South East Europe
Senator

Founded: Dec 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby South East Europe » Fri May 29, 2009 1:59 pm

We really don't need another thread when there is already an active thread on this forum discussing the same exact issue.
I'm a transgirl in her mid-twenties with multiple disabilities, my name is Maria and my pronouns are female ones.

Dyakovo
Post Kaiser

Founded: Nov 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Dyakovo » Fri May 29, 2009 2:07 pm

South East Europe wrote:We really don't need another thread when there is already an active thread on this forum discussing the same exact issue.

There is? Where?
Don't take life so serious... It isn't permanent...
Freedom from religion is an integral part of Freedom of religion
Married to Koshka
USMC veteran MOS 0331/8152
Grave_n_Idle: Maybe that's why the bible is so anti-other-gods, the other gods do exist, but they diss on Jehovah all the time for his shitty work.
Ifreann: Odds are you're secretly a zebra with a very special keyboard.
Ostro: I think women need to be trained
Margno, Llamalandia, Tarsonis Survivors, Bachmann's America, Internationalist Bastard B'awwwww! You're mean!

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General