NATION

PASSWORD

NOT Another Abortion Thread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Auralia wrote:
Simon Cowell of the RR wrote:-Is there anything that would make you change your stance?
Not much, unless someone can demonstrate that an embryo is living (besides the classic, "science liez!")

http://www.amazon.com/Developing-Human- ... pd_vtp_b_3

This is a reputable medical textbook that defines a zygote as "the beginning of a new human being."

Yeah, it's not disputed by anyone that cells are alive.

Your sort of argument, I can't really go against, because you simply have a different set of morals than I do. I don't value humans any more than I do animals - that is, both can be greatly valued for many different reasons, but not simply because they are alive.
Your friendly neighborhood zoophile. I'm here to answer questions. Also, we have a region: Zoo!

Norstal wrote:You are a hatiater: one who radiates hate.

Meryuma wrote:No one is more of a cat person than 1000 Cats!

FST wrote:Any sexual desires which can be satiated within a healthy and consensual way should be freed from shame. Bizarre kinks and fetishes are acceptable and nothing to be ashamed of as long as they are acted out in a context where everyone consents and no one is hurt.
Factbook/Q&A | RP | Conlang | Short Story

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:17 pm

Supremastan wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:I fail to see what is off topic. The topic, as I understand it, is the arguments behind why we support abortion. I asked him if he at any point was influenced to believe, as I read it, that the fetus is more important than the mother, how I perceive his argument. What, precisely, is off topic?

You are actively questioning the motivations behind his argument/his argument.

This thread is a place to make statements on the nature on arguments, not make debate on the arguments themselves.

So we can't discuss the second question of the OP? :eyebrow: I'm still not buying the idea that I am going off topic.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Auralia
Senator

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:17 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Auralia wrote:2. Many of those in favour of abortion argue that a child would, in many cases, be better off dead due to societal problems like poverty and crime. Others argue that it is ultimately the choice of the mother whether she wants to raise her child or not. Personally, I think both arguments become irrelevant if one accepts that a fetus is a human being; nobody can choose to kill someone else, except in self-defense, because otherwise it would be murder.

You are forgetting, purposely or on accident, the argument of bodily sovereignty, my reason for supporting the right to choice; the woman has the absolute right to control her own body, and with that control comes permission of use. Contrary to apparent belief amongst pro-life advocates, consent to sex is not consent to pregnancy, as those women who pursue abortions or use birth control methods show quite clearly. Thus, it is unethical and against the right of women to control their own body to force them into a situation where they can't, ie, not allowing them to get an abortion.

That is my argument, not some silly thing about society.

I think that a fetus's right to life ranks above the bodily sovereignty of a woman, for a number of reasons. Pregnancy and giving birth rarely causes any permanent harm (the cases where it does, for me, represent the only potential allowable use of abortion - self-defense) but refusing access to the womb will kill the fetus.
Catholic Commonwealth of Auralia
"Amor sequitur cognitionem."

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:20 pm

Auralia wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:You are forgetting, purposely or on accident, the argument of bodily sovereignty, my reason for supporting the right to choice; the woman has the absolute right to control her own body, and with that control comes permission of use. Contrary to apparent belief amongst pro-life advocates, consent to sex is not consent to pregnancy, as those women who pursue abortions or use birth control methods show quite clearly. Thus, it is unethical and against the right of women to control their own body to force them into a situation where they can't, ie, not allowing them to get an abortion.

That is my argument, not some silly thing about society.

I think that a fetus's right to life ranks above the bodily sovereignty of a woman, for a number of reasons. Pregnancy and giving birth rarely causes any permanent harm (the cases where it does, for me, represent the only potential allowable use of abortion - self-defense) but refusing access to the womb will kill the fetus.

The immediate effects are more than enough to justify self defense.

The killing is a mere side effect of the expulsion. If the fetus wasn't there in the first place, then it wouldn't need to be expunged. And, to combat the "but it didn't choose to be there" argument before it arises, no, it didn't, and for that reason it doesn't have any rights to begin with, let alone the right to life.
Last edited by Ceannairceach on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:24 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:I'd just like to state, before we begin, that this is NOT ABOUT ABORTION. Rather, it's about the political debate SURROUNDING abortion as an issue. If you want to rant about "dem ebil gawdlesh bebbeh killersh", go make your own thread. And obviously, if this deteriorates into flaming, I'll call it a failed attempt and ask for a lock. That's all.

Now, I'm sure most of you want to know why I'm beating this dead horse. "It must be because he's an F7er, and he's got no sense in his head.", some will say. Others will ignore the above warning and simply start flaming me. That's not what I'm doing here, though. I want to talk about the POLITICAL side of abortion exclusively. You see, I approach this as a very odd individual, with some political views that, while they're not radical, depart severely from the "Party Lines". I am a social liberal, so one might expect that I would vote Democrat. But I'm also a Minarchist, and because I place economic issues far above social issues, I tend to vote Republican because of the asinine two-party system. As such, I find myself a Republican (of sorts...) who is pro-choice. And it leaves me thinking: why does the Republican Party fight against abortion? Why does ANYONE?

So, with that, I pose my question. And keep in mind, this is THE ONLY POINT OF DISCUSSION THAT IS RELEVANT IN THIS THREAD. My question for NSG is this:
-Why do you take your stance on abortion?
-What do you think is the motivation behind the various views on abortion?
-Is there anything that would make you change your stance?

I will add my own opinion later, but I've omitted it right now to prevent the coloring of the debate before it begins.

I'm not trying to be nasty, but you will find that the majority of people against abortion are so because they see abortion as killing babies. Or because they believe it's a divine mandate. Not for political reasons.

Because I believe that the rights of people who are born are more important than the rights of those who are not yet born.

Partly a lack of clarity on when life begins. And partly the result of different views on whose rights are most important. Also, some see that by taking reproductive control away from women, it's a way to control them.

Not really.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:24 pm

1000 Cats wrote:Your sort of argument, I can't really go against, because you simply have a different set of morals than I do. I don't value humans any more than I do animals - that is, both can be greatly valued for many different reasons, but not simply because they are alive.

Fair point. The key issue for me is that if one doesn't value humans simply because they are human, one can pick any arbitrary criteria. Some of the more common ones seem reasonable, like sentience, consciousness or a functioning brain. But really, you can pick anything, even something horrible like skin colour, gender, or the presence of physical disabilities.

Also, as a Catholic, there is a religious component for me as well, but I think the argument stands well enough on its own without bringing the concept of a soul or anything like that into it.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:26 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:And, to combat the "but it didn't choose to be there" argument before it arises, no, it didn't, and for that reason it doesn't have any rights to begin with, let alone the right to life.

You'll have to clarify that for me...

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:27 pm

Auralia wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:And, to combat the "but it didn't choose to be there" argument before it arises, no, it didn't, and for that reason it doesn't have any rights to begin with, let alone the right to life.

It did not choose. Therefore, it is not a person, as it cannot make a choice, because it cannot think. If it cannot think, if it is not a self aware, self conscious being, I feel that it isn't deserving of the rights of a human being.

@}-;-'---

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:34 pm

Auralia wrote:
1000 Cats wrote:Your sort of argument, I can't really go against, because you simply have a different set of morals than I do. I don't value humans any more than I do animals - that is, both can be greatly valued for many different reasons, but not simply because they are alive.

Fair point. The key issue for me is that if one doesn't value humans simply because they are human, one can pick any arbitrary criteria. Some of the more common ones seem reasonable, like sentience, consciousness or a functioning brain. But really, you can pick anything, even something horrible like skin colour, gender, or the presence of physical disabilities.

Also, as a Catholic, there is a religious component for me as well, but I think the argument stands well enough on its own without bringing the concept of a soul or anything like that into it.

The issue for me is not one of valuing humans or not. It's about the fact that not permitting abortion gives foetuses more rights than actual born children and people.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:35 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Auralia wrote:

It did not choose. Therefore, it is not a person, as it cannot make a choice, because it cannot think. If it cannot think, if it is not a self aware, self conscious being, I feel that it isn't deserving of the rights of a human being.

I think that the ability to make choices is a dangerous criteria for rights. Infants, who are considered human, can't really make choices either. Neither can someone in a coma, or with a significant mental disability.

Supremastan
Attaché

Founded: Jan 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Supremastan » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:36 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Supremastan wrote:
You are actively questioning the motivations behind his argument/his argument.

This thread is a place to make statements on the nature on arguments, not make debate on the arguments themselves.

So we can't discuss the second question of the OP? :eyebrow: I'm still not buying the idea that I am going off topic.

Yes, that's what I said.

EDIT: Although perhaps I'm being too strict in my interpretation of the OP's request for now until we get further info from OP, carry on, sir.
Last edited by Supremastan on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have previously ruled over :
Deschenek
Bradforsonia

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:36 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:permitting abortion gives foetuses more rights than actual born children and people.

I think it gives equal rights, not more rights...?

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:40 pm

Auralia wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:permitting abortion gives foetuses more rights than actual born children and people.

A child who requires a kidney transplant or blood transfusion to live cannot legally compel a parent to give it to them, even if they will die otherwise. Outlawing abortion means that we are allowing unborn people to compel a woman to relinquish her womb to further their life. We would allow them more rights than a born child.

The pro life movement is extremely against forcing parents to donate blood or organs for post-birth children. Which is why I believe they care more about pre-birth children than post-birth ones.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:41 pm

Auralia wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:It did not choose. Therefore, it is not a person, as it cannot make a choice, because it cannot think. If it cannot think, if it is not a self aware, self conscious being, I feel that it isn't deserving of the rights of a human being.

I think that the ability to make choices is a dangerous criteria for rights. Infants, who are considered human, can't really make choices either. Neither can someone in a coma, or with a significant mental disability.

They meet a different criteria for rights. Namely, self-consciousness. Amongst other things.
Auralia wrote:

And therein lies the flaw in your argument. Your argument would give fetuses the right to use the woman's body without her permission, as I mentioned, something person has the right to do, something that is almost always illegal, as cases of rape and torture apply. Your argument favors the rights of fetuses, which in my opinion need to be marginalized, and tramples on the rights of the woman.

@}-;-'---

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:43 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:
Auralia wrote:

A child who requires a kidney transplant or blood transfusion to live cannot legally compel a parent to give it to them, even if they will die otherwise. Outlawing abortion means that we are allowing unborn people to compel a woman to relinquish her womb to further their life. We would allow them more rights than a born child.

The pro life movement is extremely against forcing parents to donate blood or organs for post-birth children. Which is why I believe they care more about pre-birth children than post-birth ones.

If, say, someone stole a kidney from you (and keep in mind that living with a fetus is not nearly as damaging or as serious) and transplanted it in their body, would you be allowed to kill them by taking it back?

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:44 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Auralia wrote:

They meet a different criteria for rights. Namely, self-consciousness. Amongst other things.
Auralia wrote:

And therein lies the flaw in your argument. Your argument would give fetuses the right to use the woman's body without her permission, as I mentioned, something person has the right to do, something that is almost always illegal, as cases of rape and torture apply. Your argument favors the rights of fetuses, which in my opinion need to be marginalized, and tramples on the rights of the woman.

See my above comment.

The Runic Inquisition
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Runic Inquisition » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:47 pm

I take my stance because a single human life that cannot even think for itself is of no importance to the world at large, and because a woman should have the right to do what she wants with her body.

Religious brainwashing by the ignorant and the stupid on one side, and rabid feminism on the other.
[For the two extremes].

Not unless someone can demonstrate without a doubt that the unborn child is capable of independant thought [which has already been proved not to be the case].

Uncle Sam
Secretary

Founded: Nov 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Uncle Sam » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:47 pm

My stance on abortion is "FOR". I'm pro-women's choice, it is their body after all and they should be given the right to have a child or not have a child. I'm also for abortion because I can imagine scores of would-be mother dying from back-alley abortions because they don't want to go through the immense struggle of bearing an unwanted child. Making it illegal would be in a sense killing more people than saving.
Should we really trust in God?

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:47 pm

Auralia wrote:

That is a valid fear, and I will admit that it is subjective. I value things based on subjectivity itself: an individual is valued if there are other individuals who specifically place value on them. In the case of nearly every human from the time they are born, there are others who love them, then individuals who feel that the world is a better place with them in it, etc. Even in the case of animals in the wild, other animals can place value upon them even if they cannot express this linguistically. I place value on any pure carnivore I meet in the wild just because I believe their existence is important. In the case of an unwanted fetus, though, by its very definition there is no one who values it.

Now, you may value it simply for it being alive, but that is a more impersonal value, a value that can be applied to any living thing and thus is very small indeed when compared to valuing someone for a more personal reason, such as that they have been a good friend, are an excellent writer, or comprise a unique beauty and fill an important niche in the natural world. When hearing about an abortion, you will react less than if I were to hear about a wolf being shot and killed, and even less than if a close relative or personal hero had died. The value you place is more on the preservation of your ideals than upon the individual fetus itself.
Last edited by 1000 Cats on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your friendly neighborhood zoophile. I'm here to answer questions. Also, we have a region: Zoo!

Norstal wrote:You are a hatiater: one who radiates hate.

Meryuma wrote:No one is more of a cat person than 1000 Cats!

FST wrote:Any sexual desires which can be satiated within a healthy and consensual way should be freed from shame. Bizarre kinks and fetishes are acceptable and nothing to be ashamed of as long as they are acted out in a context where everyone consents and no one is hurt.
Factbook/Q&A | RP | Conlang | Short Story

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Auralia wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:

If, say, someone stole a kidney from you (and keep in mind that living with a fetus is not nearly as damaging or as serious) and transplanted it in their body, would you be allowed to kill them by taking it back?

What does that have to do with the situation?

The pro-life movement claims that a woman has a responsibility to the life created within her. However, the pro-life movement seems to agree that this responsibility seems to end at birth. That is why they do not argue for mandatory blood donations from parents to children, even if they will die otherwise.

If you argue that a foetus has a right to life at the expense of the mother's bodily sovereignty, you must also argue that this relinquishing of bodily sovereignty extends post-birth.

Furthermore, the risks of pregnancy-related illnesses include:

Diabetes
Blood disorders (such as anaemia)
infertility
kidney problems
Some forms of cancer

And a range of other things. All serious, and/or life-threatening conditions. Pregnancy is a very dangerous enterprise for a woman to embark on.

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Auralia wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:

Do site how many times that happens in a given decade.

Rather, they would be tried, likely, and fined, and you would be compensated for your loss. We couldn't quite kill them, because vigilantism is not legal, at least not in the United States, and the threat is no longer immediate. Rather, due process of the law would take over.q

@}-;-'---

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:54 pm

1000 Cats wrote:
Auralia wrote:

That is a valid fear, and I will admit that it is subjective. I value things based on subjectivity itself: an individual is valued if there are other individuals who specifically place value on them. In the case of nearly every human from the time they are born, there are others who love them, then individuals who feel that the world is a better place with them in it, etc. Even in the case of animals in the wild, other animals can place value upon them even if they cannot express this linguistically. I place value on any pure carnivore I meet in the wild just because I believe their existence is important. In the case of an unwanted fetus, though, by its very definition there is no one who values it.

Now, you may value it simply for it being alive, but that is a more impersonal value, a value that can be applied to any living thing and thus is very small indeed when compared to valuing someone for a more personal reason, such as that they have been a good friend, are an excellent writer, or comprise a unique beauty and fill an important niche in the natural world. When hearing about an abortion, you will react less than if I were to hear about a wolf being shot and killed, and even less than if a close relative or personal hero had died. The value you place is more on the preservation of your ideals than upon the individual fetus itself.

Well, then, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree. I fully disagree with your last paragraph, by the way, but I need to go study for an exam now.

Auralia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Auralia » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:57 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Auralia wrote:

Do site how many times that happens in a given decade.

Rather, they would be tried, likely, and fined, and you would be compensated for your loss. We couldn't quite kill them, because vigilantism is not legal, at least not in the United States, and the threat is no longer immediate. Rather, due process of the law would take over.q

My point was not that this happens often, but that supporting a fetus against one's will is very similar to the above example.

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:01 pm

Auralia wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Do site how many times that happens in a given decade.

My point was not that this happens often, but that supporting a fetus against one's will is very similar to the above example.

Are you going to allow the mother to sue the foetus for loss of income, medical expenses, emotional trauma, health risks etc etc, and have the foetus charged and thrown in jail, like we would with the person in your example?

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:04 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:I'd just like to state, before we begin, that this is NOT ABOUT ABORTION. Rather, it's about the political debate SURROUNDING abortion as an issue. If you want to rant about "dem ebil gawdlesh bebbeh killersh", go make your own thread. And obviously, if this deteriorates into flaming, I'll call it a failed attempt and ask for a lock. That's all.

Now, I'm sure most of you want to know why I'm beating this dead horse. "It must be because he's an F7er, and he's got no sense in his head.", some will say. Others will ignore the above warning and simply start flaming me. That's not what I'm doing here, though.

Blah blah, needless filler. Just get to the point already.

So, with that, I pose my question. And keep in mind, this is THE ONLY POINT OF DISCUSSION THAT IS RELEVANT IN THIS THREAD. My question for NSG is this:

-Because I fervently believe that a woman's body is hers alone and she should have the liberty to choose what goes on in it, without anyone else's interference. She alone knows what's best for her and her family, if she has one.

-Ignorance, for one, seems to me to be a big motivator. A misguided sense of religious zeal is another one. And, of course, there's the people who can't let others decide for themselves.

-No. Not when it comes to rights others posses. I may change my views on the subject when it pertains to me. Whatever others choose regarding their health and what they wish to do with their bodies, it's their right, and I don't have the right to dictate what they choose.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General