NATION

PASSWORD

Technology Addiction

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Lordieth
Post Czar

Founded: Jun 18, 2010
New York Times Democracy

Technology Addiction

Postby Lordieth » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:34 pm

As technology seems to play a bigger and bigger part in our lives as time goes on, are we becoming too over-reliant on technology to communicate with one another? Are we all just techno-junkies itching for that next faster, sleeker fix to satisfy our cravings for ever better entertainment?

Does technology improve our lives, or distract us from it?

I remember misplacing my mobile phone last year and nearly having a panic attack. Not a good sign, really.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:39 pm

The TV, phone, and internet went out at my grandparents house one day. All three of us were all bored out of our minds until it came back on.

You see, some of those who have adapted to technology (Like myself and my grandparents) rely on it to communicate entirely - not necessarily using it to communicate, but we need the possibility to use it. I normally play single-player games, for example, but when the internet went out, I didn't really feel like playing. My grandfather is normally a talker, but when the TV went out, my grandfather went almost completely silent. The only person who didn't suffer was my grandmother, because she was working on something on photoshop and was in her own little world at the time.

It only went out for two hours, but it seemed to drag on for a lifetime for all of us. We've adapted to saltwater, but God help us if we try to get back to freshwater.

Of course, I could do without my cell phone. I haven't really gotten used to it, and I probably never will. I don't use it enough.
Last edited by Conserative Morality on Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:06 pm

No, technology is pretty much great and there are no problems whatsoever.

Also, since tech is part of our lives, it is literally impossible for it to distract us from our lives. It's mostly natural things which do that. Things like hallucinogens.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

1000 Cats
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby 1000 Cats » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:08 pm

Apart from its relevance to my occupation, I can live fine without technology. I used to need game systems and high-end PCs and fast internet connections and stuff, so I do understand those who are enamored with technology. But you know, it's a lot better not to be.
Your friendly neighborhood zoophile. I'm here to answer questions. Also, we have a region: Zoo!

Norstal wrote:You are a hatiater: one who radiates hate.

Meryuma wrote:No one is more of a cat person than 1000 Cats!

FST wrote:Any sexual desires which can be satiated within a healthy and consensual way should be freed from shame. Bizarre kinks and fetishes are acceptable and nothing to be ashamed of as long as they are acted out in a context where everyone consents and no one is hurt.
Factbook/Q&A | RP | Conlang | Short Story

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:10 pm

1000 Cats wrote:Apart from its relevance to my occupation, I can live fine without technology. I used to need game systems and high-end PCs and fast internet connections and stuff, so I do understand those who are enamored with technology. But you know, it's a lot better not to be.

I'm afraid freshwater is boring and lacks... Everything, really. I'll stay in the Saltwater, thank you very much.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.

The Emerald Legion
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 18, 2011
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Emerald Legion » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:16 pm

I'll stick with agreeing with CM.

No tech is boring.

Yes tech is not boring.
"23.The unwise man is awake all night, and ponders everything over; when morning comes he is weary in mind, and all is a burden as ever." - Havamal

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:18 pm

I'm a technophile. :D
I LOVE new tech. Especially research into renewable energy, and medical tech.

The USOT
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:19 pm

Im a weird mix of a techno-addict and a nature freak...

I love technology and sometimes spend days on end on a computer playing some game or another (although I do have the occupational excuse :lol:)

However if I do not get enough time in nature or the countryside, I start to feel quite claustrophobic. I think its because where I grew up I was used to rolling flat planes and clear skies that seemed to go on endlessly, filled with beautifal sounds especially at night.

I love technology, but I feel more at home in nature.
Eco-Friendly Green Cyborg Santa Claus

Contrary to the propaganda, we live in probably the least materialistic culture in history. If we cared about the things of the world, we would treat them quite differently. We would be concerned with their materiality. We would be interested in their beginnings and their ends, before and after they left our grasp.

Peter Timmerman, “Defending Materialism"

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:20 pm

The USOT wrote:Im a weird mix of a techno-addict and a nature freak...

I love technology and sometimes spend days on end on a computer playing some game or another (although I do have the occupational excuse :lol:)

However if I do not get enough time in nature or the countryside, I start to feel quite claustrophobic. I think its because where I grew up I was used to rolling flat planes and clear skies that seemed to go on endlessly, filled with beautifal sounds especially at night.

Nothing wrong with striking a balance. I, personally, am not real fond of nature, but I understand why some people like it. I'm less understanding of people who dislike technology.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:29 pm

I have a forest desktop background, so I guess that's kind of the same thing.

But in al seriousness, I recall those moments during summer when my window was open during the night and I could hear crickets chirping outside as the wind gently rustled through the leaves. It's not really that remarkable, but the most peaceful moments in my life are found in nature, so maybe that's why I'm so fond of it.

The USOT
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The USOT » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:30 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:

Nothing wrong with striking a balance. I, personally, am not real fond of nature, but I understand why some people like it. I'm less understanding of people who dislike technology.

I can understand it... but then again I find ideologies different to my own more interesting... Anarcho-Primitivism I beleive certainly has some merit to it.
Eco-Friendly Green Cyborg Santa Claus

Contrary to the propaganda, we live in probably the least materialistic culture in history. If we cared about the things of the world, we would treat them quite differently. We would be concerned with their materiality. We would be interested in their beginnings and their ends, before and after they left our grasp.

Peter Timmerman, “Defending Materialism"

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:31 pm

I...can't...stop...the addiction!

*Grinds up a CD*

*Inhales shards of silicon dust*
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:32 pm

Norstal wrote:I...can't...stop...the addiction!

*Grinds up a CD*

*Inhales shards of silicon dust*

Oh, that's just a waste of potential improvised room decoration...

Vetalia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Vetalia » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:36 pm

I generally use modern technology as an improved form of their predecessors; e.g. I could read a newspaper instead of read news online. That being said, it would be thoroughly unsatisfying to not have access to the sheer amount of information possible online...being limited to my WSJ or Plain Dealer without being able to pull up news sources would suck.

This is an interesting question because it also deals with the concept of happiness; although people in 1970 (or so) were similarly content with their lives as we are today, it's impossible that we would be as happy back then because of the influence of technology on our lives. Being able to call or email people from anywhere or browse sources the world over online is a huge benefit.
Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.05

Lordieth
Post Czar

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:58 pm

I just wonder if the happiness I think I gain from the use of technology in my life is just how I've been conditioned to rely on it, satisfying an addiction rather than creating any sort of long-term fulfillment.

I don't think happiness works that way. I think it normalises after a while, until the next exciting gadget comes along. Technology has enriched my life, but it hasn't made me happier. If you took that technology away from me now though, it'd devastate me.

Very symptomatic of addiction.
Last edited by Lordieth on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:00 pm

Lordieth wrote:I just wonder if the happiness I think I gain from the use of technology in my life is just how I've been conditioned to rely on it, satisfying an addiction rather than creating any sort of long-term fulfillment.

I don't think happiness works that way. I think it normalises after a while, until the next exciting gadget comes along. Technology has enriched my life, but it hasn't made me happier. If you took away that technology away from me now though, it'd devastate me.

Very symptomatic of addiction.

I find that, uh, odd.

I use technology primarily to satisfy my urges as a social creature, to create and facilitate conversation IRL, to gather information, and to experience art.

I don't really get the whole "Oh, look, I've got an iPad, or an Alienware computer, or whatnot!", save for the fact that they do look very nice.

Lordieth
Post Czar

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:07 pm

Well it's primarily being connected to information wherever I go that's become so integral to my life. Videogames I can live without, but being cut off from electronic communication makes me feel severely isolated.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:11 pm

Lordieth wrote:Well it's primarily being connected to information wherever I go that's become so integral to my life. Videogames I can live without, but being cut off from electronic communication makes me feel severely isolated.

We're social animals, it's only natural. The internet in particular represents so much of human knowledge and human achievement at our very fingertips that the very knowledge of it's existence when we're cut off from it is frustrating, like knowing that your car is in the driveway but isn't running at the moment, or, for a more primitive example, knowing that there's a fresh carcass just across the stream, but it's too deep to ford.

We, as humans, don't like being denied potential for action.

Zeppy
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Zeppy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:16 pm

I am addicted to technology.

I sniff technology like I sniff crack. Anally.
Last edited by Zeppy on Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lordieth
Post Czar

New York Times Democracy

Postby Lordieth » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:22 pm

@Conserative Morality; I know what you mean. I guess we take for granted now how easy it is to access and share information.

Zeppy wrote:I am addicted to technology.

I sniff technology like I sniff crack. Anally.

That's taking being 'plugged in' to a whole new level.

Arkotania
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkotania » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:11 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:The TV, phone, and internet went out at my grandparents house one day. All three of us were all bored out of our minds until it came back on.

You see, some of those who have adapted to technology (Like myself and my grandparents) rely on it to communicate entirely - not necessarily using it to communicate, but we need the possibility to use it. I normally play single-player games, for example, but when the internet went out, I didn't really feel like playing. My grandfather is normally a talker, but when the TV went out, my grandfather went almost completely silent. The only person who didn't suffer was my grandmother, because she was working on something on photoshop and was in her own little world at the time.

It only went out for two hours, but it seemed to drag on for a lifetime for all of us. We've adapted to saltwater, but God help us if we try to get back to freshwater.

Of course, I could do without my cell phone. I haven't really gotten used to it, and I probably never will. I don't use it enough.

I could do without technology. I just need light and my books.

I know a kid though(friend of mine) who basically "mentally" disappears when he gets his phone taken away. He falls into this depression where he becomes lethargic. It's pretty damn funny in my opinion.

I used to be hooked to the PC but after a month of being away from one, I've become rehabilitated. I always forget i even have a phone. If we don't have internet, i simply play some strategy games or board games(maybe Chess with my father).
Mostly back from a long hiatus from the forums
Arkania 5 wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Matt Ward

No.

Nononononononononono

Gauthier wrote:
Arkotania wrote:
Then your testicles become strange tentacles.

And then you make films in Japan.

Ovisterra wrote:
Oceanic people wrote:where lives are at steak

I try not to point out people's spelling errors all the time, but this one was brilliant.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Or maybe NS is also a degraded society.

This. Definitely this.

Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab(Arkotania Puppet) wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Oh, you crazy Muslim you!

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:15 pm

Arkotania wrote:I could do without technology. I just need light and my books.

I know a kid though(friend of mine) who basically "mentally" disappears when he gets his phone taken away. He falls into this depression where he becomes lethargic. It's pretty damn funny in my opinion.

I used to be hooked to the PC but after a month of being away from one, I've become rehabilitated. I always forget i even have a phone. If we don't have internet, i simply play some strategy games or board games(maybe Chess with my father).

I burn through books too quickly. I'd need a library, or several, seeing as I've read everything of interest in the two local libraries here. Chess is entertaining for a game or two, but it lacks the sort of strategic consideration I'm used to.

The internet offers me everything I could ever want. Books, by the thousand, essays, studies, history, literary criticism, art, film, anything, everything. People to discuss them with, even.

I never got into cell phones, though.

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:18 pm

Technology is important. It encompasses not just computers and cell phones and gizmo rockets, but everything we use for any purpose. Sticks with which we draw rudimentary plans in the sand, or provokes Termites into leaving the nest, into the open; rocks with which we(and many other animals,) crack mussel shells, or use as missile weapons; and, most importantly(and again not uniquely to us,) early flint knives, the basis for other more specialized tools.

That being said, technology in primitive forms is used among many groups of apes, with varying levels of success differing even by geographic areas as relatively close as the Gambia and Cameroon. Even other animals, less capable than us in dexterity or intellect, utilize technology and would be better off than a humanity which has foregone all technology. Without technology, we are worse off than our ancestors 5,000 generations ago.
Last edited by New England and The Maritimes on Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Arkotania
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkotania » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:22 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:
Arkotania wrote:I could do without technology. I just need light and my books.

I burn through books too quickly. I'd need a library, or several, seeing as I've read everything of interest in the two local libraries here. Chess is entertaining for a game or two, but it lacks the sort of strategic consideration I'm used to.

The internet offers me everything I could ever want. Books, by the thousand, essays, studies, history, literary criticism, art, film, anything, everything. People to discuss them with, even.

I never got into cell phones, though.

I can't seem to find enough people willing to play a nice game of chess. It's pretty fun but i believe for strategic purposes, id prefer a total war series.

I always visit my library(and am annoyed that the great books are stuck in references where i can't check them out. I don't always have time to spend at library). My favorite site is Wikipedia(no matter how many say it's "inaccurate"). It basically has everything i'd want to know. I never got into cellphones since i had my first when i was 8 for about 5 years then lost a phone, spent 2.5 years without it. I've grown too accustomed to not using one.
Mostly back from a long hiatus from the forums
Arkania 5 wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Matt Ward

No.

Nononononononononono

Gauthier wrote:
Arkotania wrote:
Then your testicles become strange tentacles.

And then you make films in Japan.

Ovisterra wrote:
Oceanic people wrote:where lives are at steak

I try not to point out people's spelling errors all the time, but this one was brilliant.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Or maybe NS is also a degraded society.

This. Definitely this.

Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab(Arkotania Puppet) wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Oh, you crazy Muslim you!

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:26 pm

Arkotania wrote:I can't seem to find enough people willing to play a nice game of chess. It's pretty fun but i believe for strategic purposes, id prefer a total war series.

I play with my great-uncle, usually. I play impulsively, because it's more fun that way. The Total War series is pretty good, I have Rome through Shogun II.
I always visit my library(and am annoyed that the great books are stuck in references where i can't check them out. I don't always have time to spend at library). My favorite site is Wikipedia(no matter how many say it's "inaccurate"). It basically has everything i'd want to know. I never got into cellphones since i had my first when i was 8 for about 5 years then lost a phone, spent 2.5 years without it. I've grown too accustomed to not using one.

Wiki is pretty good, and more accurate than most encyclopedias, but the citations and external links are there for a reason, and some of them are very entertaining.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General