NATION

PASSWORD

Dating and Attraction

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:00 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:
Now, if I could only find fantastic guys like you here...and Australian girls were not genetically averse to the cold, all our problems would be solved.

I can keep the Australian girls warm at night ;)

Now, with an offer like that, I'll be on the next flight ;)
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:02 pm

Ifreann wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:
But hygiene standards would prohibit it? No telling where those hands have been :unsure:

That;s what those latex gloves are for. Also, they're cheaper than condoms and you get 5 uses out of them.

Now, I thought they had a completely different purpose in relationships of a sexual nature.

I've been misled. :shock:
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:06 pm

Saint Jade IV wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:
I can keep the Australian girls warm at night ;)

Now, with an offer like that, I'll be on the next flight ;)

I'll bring some blankets to the airport :p
The Blaatschapen should resign

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:10 pm

Metanih wrote:Well, since we are speaking of men specifically, I can say that the number 3 on his list doesn't apply to me. I don't treat men like objects, because I don't date them. I don't lower my standards, I just look for someone nice, who is kind to me. Ruthless, the word he used, implies intent, which I know I have not done, nor witnessed in my relationships.

But can you be sure that you don't unconsciously treat women like objects? How can you be certain that you're absolutely free from such objectification?
This is why gay marriage will destroy American families.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

Trollgaard
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2007
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Trollgaard » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:11 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Metanih wrote:Well, since we are speaking of men specifically, I can say that the number 3 on his list doesn't apply to me. I don't treat men like objects, because I don't date them. I don't lower my standards, I just look for someone nice, who is kind to me. Ruthless, the word he used, implies intent, which I know I have not done, nor witnessed in my relationships.

But can you be sure that you don't unconsciously treat women like objects? How can you be certain that you're absolutely free from such objectification?

Why do you care?

The Plutonian Empire
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 15, 2004
Libertarian Police State

Postby The Plutonian Empire » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:17 pm

I'm in the process of forcing myself to give up on this whole thing right now, because I'm simply not cut out for it. It's tough, sure, but I look forward to the day where I'll simply laugh at the fools who try this sort of thing and fail miserably at it. Plus, it'll be a heavy burden of worrying about this sort of shit lifted off my shoulders, so I can actually focus for once on working my ass off till the day I die.
Pro: Nukes, Imperialism, LGBT+ Rights, Welfare, Universal Basic Income, Universal Healthcare, Womens' Rights, Equal Pay, Space & Science prioritizaiton, Privacy, Net Neutrality, Abortion, Environmentalism, Free Love Freedom.
Neutral: Religion.
Against: Capitalism, Fascism, Surveillance, Police Militarization, Misogyny, Thought Policing.

RIP: Grandma Pat, 1934 - 2009
Celestia 1.6.1., Space Engine 0.980, Lavender Skies
Political Compass as of: Dec. 23, 2018
Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.69

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:19 pm

Trollgaard wrote:Why do you care?

Because treating people like objects is wrong.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

Mike the Progressive
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Mike the Progressive » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:22 pm

Trollgaard wrote:

Why do you care?

Because women are gods, men are pigs, and we, the males, deserve to all be castrated.

Idaho Conservatives
Minister

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Idaho Conservatives » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:23 pm

Mike the Progressive wrote:
Trollgaard wrote:
Why do you care?

Because women are gods, men are pigs, and we, the males, deserve to all be castrated.

I think Mike's got things covered.
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way" --General George S. Patton

If You're A Fellow Ham, TG me!!!
KF7LCE

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:24 pm

Conserative Morality wrote:I've always assumed something about mutual social circles. I'm not particularly interested in the field, personally, but I find it fascinating.

Don't get stuck in a single social circle.

Trust me.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Metanih
Senator

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Metanih » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:31 pm

Well, since I am female, it becomes rather odd to treat women as objects.
Although thin and pretty are very effective, I may say.
Nationstates Ninja
Second to Reploid Productions...
Everyone should watch this excellent show, and the movie Serenity.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303461/

If you don't know me well, talk to me more. I have a DeviantArt account here. http://merin593.deviantart.com
Also, I am a pansexual genderfluid individual. If you don't know what that means, look it up. I deal with enough people asking in real life. . ;)

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:37 pm

You can't, but you can have rational confidence that your feelings are somehow attached to the loving bond you have with that person.
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:37 pm

Metanih wrote:Well, since I am female, it becomes rather odd to treat women as objects.

But it's not impossible, and you cannot be absolutely, 100% certain that you are completely and totally avoiding it even on an unconscious level.

Nornalhorst
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nornalhorst » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:45 pm

I see where this is going, come on 4ST lets focus on the topic.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:47 pm

Nornalhorst wrote:I see where this is going, come on 4ST lets focus on the topic.

I am on topic.

Metanih
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Metanih » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:59 pm

Metanih wrote:Well, since I am female, it becomes rather odd to treat women as objects.

But it's not impossible, and you cannot be absolutely, 100% certain that you are completely and totally avoiding it even on an unconscious level.

Well, given that they are all my friends, I would say that I cannot do it completely, on an unconscious level, and neither can they. I believe that everyone manipulates everyone in some way, even unconsciously. My point was I don't do it intentionally.
Nationstates Ninja

If you don't know me well, talk to me more. I have a DeviantArt account here. http://merin593.deviantart.com
Also, I am a pansexual genderfluid individual. If you don't know what that means, look it up. I deal with enough people asking in real life. . ;)

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:00 pm

Metanih wrote:I believe that everyone manipulates everyone in some way, even unconsciously.

But if manipulation is bad, should we not do everything we can to minimize it, including avoiding relationships?

Metanih
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Metanih » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:03 pm

Metanih wrote:I believe that everyone manipulates everyone in some way, even unconsciously.

But if manipulation is bad, should we not do everything we can to minimize it, including avoiding relationships?

Manipulation is bad, but my relationships are far more beneficial to me in other ways, than the manipulation, which is inherently small to begin with, pales in comparison.
Besides, I also think that I manipulate those I am in a relationship less than those I am not.
Nationstates Ninja

Nornalhorst
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nornalhorst » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:04 pm

Did you know every step you take could potentially be your last? So should we stop walking to minimize the potential for death?

Nornalhorst
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Nornalhorst » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:08 pm

Anyway so what is the best course of action when it comes to approaching a woman?
I heard of just asking out and flirting with every girl I see and hopefully someone will want to be with me, and I heard the exact opposite as well don't try to get in any relationship just keep doing what I do and maybe one of these years someone will come along.

Metanih
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Metanih » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:10 pm

Nornalhorst wrote:Anyway so what is the best course of action when it comes to approaching a woman?
I heard of just asking out and flirting with every girl I see and hopefully someone will want to be with me, and I heard the exact opposite as well don't try to get in any relationship just keep doing what I do and maybe one of these years someone will come along.

That wouldn't work well for some people. Not everyone has the ability to simply talk to people like that. Building up friendship is significant as well, for some people.

My advice is to find someone you like, become friends with them, if you still want to have a relationship with them, ask them out whenever feels best. My best advice.
Nationstates Ninja

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:13 pm

Nornalhorst wrote:Anyway so what is the best course of action when it comes to approaching a woman?

I suggest to approach from the front or from the side. From behind might scare them if they didn't notice you before.

A bit more helpful advice: I'm not going to say that you should just flirt with everyone in the hopes of finding one that flirts back. But doing nothing and just waiting is also not the right way, the right girls have to notice you after all. If you see someone that fancies your interest, flirt. Make yourself approachable :)
The Blaatschapen should resign

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:19 pm

Nornalhorst wrote:Did you know every step you take could potentially be your last? So should we stop walking to minimize the potential for death?

False analogy. Not walking does not actually increase life expectancy.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:00 am

Have you ever gone fishing? When you first start you're all there...staring at the water thinking 'c'mon c'mon c'mon' and then, the line jerks and you yank the hell out of the rod (Hur!) and come up empty...the longer you have to wait between nibbles the worse you blow it with your exaggerated enthusiasm and you go home fishless thinking that fishing is stupid.

Well, fishing may or may not be stupid, but what I'm getting at here is the over emphasis on the hooking of the fish and ignoring the rest of the process. This is why dudes end up bitching about 'the friend zone' as if being friends with women is some kind of cruel punishment. You're living and dying by every encounter with everything with boobs in your rough age range.

This is why people say 'stop looking,' because you're running around the forest yelling "HERE DEER! HERE DEER! HERE DEER!" and scaring off all the deer. That's right, I switched similes. Whatcha gonna do about it?

Think about it this way...without any bravado, some chick just comes out of nowhere and not only decides within fifteen minutes of meeting you that you're the savior of her soul but not only that, but really anyone who would talk to her for more than 14 minutes would do. You would be a little creeped out by her and certainly not all that flattered.

So the advice would be:

Relax. Spazzes make people nervous.

Start at the beginning
. You're not proposing, you're looking for someone to be with. It's a long process that starts with "Can I stand to be in the same room as this person longer than a few minutes" and progresses through "you know who'd be awesome to do this totally fun thing with?" to eventually for some "I want to make babies with this person." If you jump to the end, it's creepy.

Adjust your goals. What you're really doing is meeting people. Finding someone to [romantic goal] with is just leveling up. If you look at it like selecting a mate it becomes too much like buying a car that can reject you.

Take shit in stride
. You are being rejected by a single person, not an entire gender. Different people are into different things. You don't want to date every person you meet, they're not really any different.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:03 am

Cannot think of a name wrote:Have you ever gone fishing? When you first start you're all there...staring at the water thinking 'c'mon c'mon c'mon' and then, the line jerks and you yank the hell out of the rod (Hur!) and come up empty...the longer you have to wait between nibbles the worse you blow it with your exaggerated enthusiasm and you go home fishless thinking that fishing is stupid.

Well, fishing may or may not be stupid, but what I'm getting at here is the over emphasis on the hooking of the fish and ignoring the rest of the process. This is why dudes end up bitching about 'the friend zone' as if being friends with women is some kind of cruel punishment. You're living and dying by every encounter with everything with boobs in your rough age range.

This is why people say 'stop looking,' because you're running around the forest yelling "HERE DEER! HERE DEER! HERE DEER!" and scaring off all the deer. That's right, I switched similes. Whatcha gonna do about it?

Think about it this way...without any bravado, some chick just comes out of nowhere and not only decides within fifteen minutes of meeting you that you're the savior of her soul but not only that, but really anyone who would talk to her for more than 14 minutes would do. You would be a little creeped out by her and certainly not all that flattered.

So the advice would be:

Relax. Spazzes make people nervous.

Start at the beginning
. You're not proposing, you're looking for someone to be with. It's a long process that starts with "Can I stand to be in the same room as this person longer than a few minutes" and progresses through "you know who'd be awesome to do this totally fun thing with?" to eventually for some "I want to make babies with this person." If you jump to the end, it's creepy.

Adjust your goals. What you're really doing is meeting people. Finding someone to [romantic goal] with is just leveling up. If you look at it like selecting a mate it becomes too much like buying a car that can reject you.

Take shit in stride
. You are being rejected by a single person, not an entire gender. Different people are into different things. You don't want to date every person you meet, they're not really any different.

Women are prey? That seems a bit rape-ish.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General