NATION

PASSWORD

Scottish Independence - Yay or Nay? (Poll)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Should Scotland become independent?

I am Scottish, and I wish to see Scotland as an independent nation.
6%
I am Scottish, and I wish to see Scotland gain more autonomy from the rest of the UK.
2%
I am Scottish, and I wish to see Scotland remain as part of the UK.
3%
I am of another British nationality, and I wish to see Scotland as an independent nation.
7%
I am of another British nationality, and I wish to see Scotland gain more autonomy from the rest of the UK.
3%
I am of another British nationality, and I wish to see Scotland remain as part of the UK.
16%
I am not British, and I wish to see Scotland as an independent nation.
27%
I am not British, and I wish to see Scotland gain more autonomy from the rest of the UK.
10%
I am not British, and I wish to see Scotland remain as part of the UK.
16%
I don't care.
10%

Total votes : 796

Prythaine
Secretary

Founded: Nov 22, 2011
Ex-Nation

Scottish Independence - Yay or Nay? (Poll)

Postby Prythaine » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:25 am

As a Scot, I want to see Scotland gain more autonomy. I hate having Labour governments here who are just their Westminster counterpart's willing bitches. And even more so, I hate having Conservatives in power, who we didn't even vote for. And can directly influence Scotland. So more autonomy would give us greater power to decide our own politics to a greater extent.

Poll attached.

H-Alba
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby H-Alba » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:38 am

I'm Scottish and I support independence for the nation. We've far too long been part of the "United Kingdom", heavily biased towards England.
I serve Queen and Country

Prythaine
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Prythaine » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:40 am

H-Alba wrote:I'm Scottish and I support independence for the nation. We've far too long been part of the "United Kingdom", heavily biased towards England.

Only politically. England votes in the government by virtue of its population.

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:41 am

H-Alba wrote:I'm Scottish and I support independence for the nation. We've far too long been part of the "United Kingdom", heavily biased towards England.

:unsure: Really? Biased towards England? In what way? You're clearly not talking about funding...

Scottish nationalism seems to me like one of those vapid popular causes - something which really makes no sense and wouldn't change anything, but is popular for some reason anyway. The OP providing a convenient example. If the Scots Labour politicians are all willing lapdogs, why would that change on separation from Britain?
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

H-Alba
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby H-Alba » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:46 am

Tubbsalot wrote:

:unsure: Really? Biased towards England? In what way? You're clearly not talking about funding...

Culturally, things are biased towards England, in and outside of the UK. When Americans think of things "British" they think of things English, we have British tea, yet no British Haggis. Politically things are biased towards London as well. And independent Scotland means more representation for the Scottish People, Culture, and Society.
I serve Queen and Country

Povos do Mar
Envoy

Founded: Nov 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Povos do Mar » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:47 am

I'm from the North of England, and though my area hasn't been quite as neglected as certain parts of Scotland, I still feel as if I can commiserate and identify with Scottish people for this reason.
Scotland and the North I feel act as barriers against nasty(er) politics and without Scotland, I don't think my area could defend itself. So for this, rather selfish reason, I'd rather Scotland remain a part of the UK.
Last edited by Povos do Mar on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pyrite
Civil Servant

Founded: Dec 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pyrite » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:50 am

Nay, thousands of British Soldiers died to bring Scotland to heel and their sacrifice, though long ago must not be forgotten, also it would ruin Scotland, they'd have no army no navy no currency no laws and no money. Not to mention that parliament makes a net loss of around 1.5 Billion a year (after all the Scottish tax has been collected) providing money for the police service and for just about everything else. On top of that English tax payers pay our tuition fees for us.

And finally, and possibly most important, our national sport is TOSSING :palm:

Aesthetica
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aesthetica » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:52 am

H-Alba wrote:
Tubbsalot wrote: :unsure: Really? Biased towards England? In what way? You're clearly not talking about funding...

Culturally, things are biased towards England, in and outside of the UK. When Americans think of things "British" they think of things English, we have British tea, yet no British Haggis. Politically things are biased towards London as well. And independent Scotland means more representation for the Scottish People, Culture, and Society.

I'd be surprised if there are more Scots who eat Haggis than Scots who drink Tea...

How many Brits eat Jellied Eels? Is that why people don't say British Jellied Eels...

Seems your argument is another "Long live Bonnie Prince Salmond" strawman.
Atheist and Proud - Godless and Loud
You don't pray in our schools - We won't think in your churches
The Realm of Forgotten Gods

Prythaine
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Prythaine » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:35 am

Tubbsalot wrote:

Scottish nationalism seems to me like one of those vapid popular causes - something which really makes no sense and wouldn't change anything, but is popular for some reason anyway. The OP providing a convenient example. If the Scots Labour politicians are all willing lapdogs, why would that change on separation from Britain?

Why would it not change? Because I think you'd find in a nation where (And this is a hypothetical scenario.) the support for separation from another nation was the majority, the support for a party that took orders from the latter nation would be a minority. Anyway, I'm not a Nationalist, I thought I made that clear? More autonomy, anyway, would give us more power to govern ourselves, and give is more political leverage.

To other posters -

Scotland is a net contributor to the Union! Which everyone knows except the English. :p And there is a reason more money is spent on the average Scotsman, than the average Englishman. Scotland has a 1/3 the land area of England, but only 1/10 the population. It's much more spread out, and you get a lot more of these communities of 2-300 people away out on the arse end of no-where. The extra money goes to making sure they enjoy the same services as anyone anywhere else in Britain; A post office, a clinic, a school, etc.

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:36 am

Pyrite wrote:Nay, thousands of British Soldiers died to bring Scotland to heel and their sacrifice, though long ago must not be forgotten

What on Earth are you talking about?
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

Prythaine
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Prythaine » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:37 am

Aesthetica wrote:I'd be surprised if there are more Scots who eat Haggis than Scots who drink Tea...

That's like saying; "There are more Englishmen that drink Pepsi than Englishmen who eat "full English breakfasts..."

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:43 am

Prythaine wrote:As a Scot, I want to see Scotland gain more autonomy. I hate having Labour governments here who are just their Westminster counterpart's willing bitches. And even more so, I hate having Conservatives in power, who we didn't even vote for. And can directly influence Scotland. So more autonomy would give us greater power to decide our own politics to a greater extent.

Poll attached.

Rather fortunate you could and did vote Labour out, then, with the autonomy you have. As regards the Conservatives (and LibDems), Britain voted them into power (simplistically speaking), and Scotland is a part of Britain. If one rejects the concept of the British nation-state, then Scotland ought to leave the Union.

Cue Alyakia.
[align=center]"I gotta tell you, this is just crazy, huh! This is just nuts, OK! Jeezo man."

The Matthew Islands
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Matthew Islands » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:45 am

H-Alba wrote:Culturally, things are biased towards England, in and outside of the UK. When Americans think of things "British" they think of things English, we have British tea, yet no British Haggis. Politically things are biased towards London as well. And independent Scotland means more representation for the Scottish People, Culture, and Society.

That's because nobody wants to have their name next to haggis.

Also, one of the financial capitals of the world, and the capital of the country that has the largest part of GDP and population of the UK gets more attention than somewhere like Edinburgh. whodathunkit
Souseiseki wrote:as a posting career in the UK Poltics Thread becomes longer, the probability of literally becoming souseiseki approaches 1

Old Tyrannia
Game Moderator

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby Old Tyrannia » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:52 am

Half-Scottish, half-English, live in England and consider myself British so decided to vote "Other British" since it seemed the most logical decision. Regardless, I strongly believe that Britain is stronger as a united kingdom and oppose Scottish independance.
"Classicist in literature, royalist in politics, and Anglo-Catholic in religion" (T.S. Eliot). Still, unaccountably, a NationStates Moderator.
"Have I done something for the general interest? Well then, I have had my reward. Let this always be present to thy mind, and never stop doing such good." - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations (Book XI, IV)
⚜ GOD SAVE THE KING

South Asia Minor
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby South Asia Minor » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:53 am

Pyrite wrote:Nay, thousands of British Soldiers died to bring Scotland to heel and their sacrifice, though long ago must not be forgotten,

That's a god awful reason. Plenty of "Scottish" soldiers died trying to keep Scotland free. Not that that's important at all, since it was well over a century ago.

also it would ruin Scotland, they'd have no army no navy no currency no laws and no money.

There's such a thing as transition. Scotland's not going to magically cut all ties with England over night.

Not to mention that parliament makes a net loss of around 1.5 Billion a year (after all the Scottish tax has been collected) providing money for the police service and for just about everything else. On top of that English tax payers pay our tuition fees for us.

I fail to see how any of that's an argument against Scottish independence.

Cool.
I'm tired of living,
And scared of dying,
Max Berry has a point
Éirinn go Brách

Tamaris
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Tamaris » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:53 am

I'm English, and I think Scotland should remain in the UK. But if the Scottish want independence, I say we should give it to them.

Prythaine
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Prythaine » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:57 am

Angleter wrote:
Prythaine wrote:As a Scot, I want to see Scotland gain more autonomy. I hate having Labour governments here who are just their Westminster counterpart's willing bitches. And even more so, I hate having Conservatives in power, who we didn't even vote for. And can directly influence Scotland. So more autonomy would give us greater power to decide our own politics to a greater extent.

Poll attached.

Rather fortunate you could and did vote Labour out, then, with the autonomy you have. As regards the Conservatives (and LibDems), Britain voted them into power (simplistically speaking), and Scotland is a part of Britain. If one rejects the concept of the British nation-state, then Scotland ought to leave the Union.

No, Britain as a whole did not. The only reason there is a Conservative government is that England wants. Why ever that is, I don't know. :lol:

The Matthew Islands
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Matthew Islands » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:57 am

South Asia Minor wrote:

Cool.

You have a woman's sport mi'lord!

(Skip to about 1:03 for it to make more sense :p)
Last edited by The Matthew Islands on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Souseiseki wrote:as a posting career in the UK Poltics Thread becomes longer, the probability of literally becoming souseiseki approaches 1

Aesthetica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aesthetica » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:02 am

Tamaris wrote:I'm English, and I think Scotland should remain in the UK. But if the Scottish want independence, I say we should give it to them.

Just as long as when we leave, we take all our property home with us...
If they want there own military, they can buy their own gear from somebody, and reemploy all the Scots we downsize when we pull out.

Prythaine
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Prythaine » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:03 am

Aesthetica wrote:
Tamaris wrote:If they want there own military, they can buy their own gear from somebody, and reemploy all the Scots we downsize when we pull out.

Seeing as all that equipment is property of the regiment...

Angleter
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Angleter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:05 am

Prythaine wrote:
Angleter wrote:

No, Britain as a whole did not. The only reason there is a Conservative government is that England wants. Why ever that is, I don't know. :lol:

Britain as a whole elected 306 Tory, 258 Labour, and 57 LibDem MPs (and 29 others), which caused the Tories and LibDems to form a coalition government. All above board. In a British election, there is no tiering of nationalities whereby all four nations must agree on who should win, because it is an election for a British people as a whole. That's not each of the four nations, that's each and every Briton.

The Matthew Islands
Negotiator

Capitalist Paradise

Postby The Matthew Islands » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:05 am

Prythaine wrote:
Aesthetica wrote:

Some regiments are royal though. Also, the regiments may be completely disbanded. Either way, Scotland isn't going to waltz off with military equipment.

Nadkor
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Nadkor » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:08 am

Yay, so everyone else can get free university education in Scotland, too!
economic left/right: -7.38, social libertarian/authoritarian: -7.59
thekidswhopoptodaywillrocktomorrow

I think we need more post-coital and less post-rock
Feels like the build-up takes forever but you never get me off

AETEN II
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 31, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby AETEN II » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:10 am

What I think as an American is that you should copy our 'states', though, really, all that means is simply taking more power from England and spreading it about the entire UK as for each to gain equal ground.
"Quod Vult, Valde Valt"

Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put out in K.P.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:"Why'd the chicken cross the street?"

"Because your dad's a whore."

"...He died a week ago."

"Of syphilis, I bet."

Best Gif on the internet.

Aesthetica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Aesthetica » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:11 am

Prythaine wrote:
Aesthetica wrote:

Property of the British Ministry of Defence actually... When Scotland becomes independent, British troops pull out taking their British equipment with them, and canceling contracts with local civilians for various services.

And the buildings they leave behind are MoD property too, although I'm sure we'd be willing to sell them to the Scots at a reasonable price.

Unless Bonnie Prince Salmond is thinking of sequestration of a foreign powers assets, which would mean WAR.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General