NATION

PASSWORD

Ex-Gay Conversion Camps: Thoughts?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aazeronia
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aazeronia » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
Four-sided Triangles wrote:We should be encouraging kids to become gay and discouraging heterosexuality. They've got it completely backwards.

I'd say don't encourage either way.

I'd agree with that.
Monarch: Alexander VIII / Chancellor: Matthias Vaalian, Lord Farcroft / Minister of Foreign Affairs: Tomas Velgible / Minister of Foreign Trade: Gregor Halfthousin
RP population: 265 million
Armed Forces: Imperial Aazeronian Army(200,000), Imperial Aazeronian Armada(205,000), Imperial Aazeronian Air Fleet(355,000), Aazeronian Expeditionary Force(250,000), Black Phoenix Division(100,000), Aazeronian Humanitarian Corp(130,000)
Proud Member of:
Current Conflicts:
None

Aesthetica
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aesthetica » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:24 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:We should be encouraging kids to become gay and discouraging heterosexuality. They've got it completely backwards.

That is as repellent as trying to "cure" being gay, more so since you are only saying that as part of your one man campaign to ban all sex for everyone because YOU have a hangup about it, go away, get drunk, get stoned, try and get laid...
Atheist and Proud - Godless and Loud
You don't pray in our schools - We won't think in your churches
The Realm of Forgotten Gods

The Germania Alliance
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Germania Alliance » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:25 pm

Honestly? It's sickening.
Salty Corporal in the Marine Corps.
God.Bless.America.
Alert Status: |Low| |Guarded| |Elevated| |High| |Severe|
Defcon: |5| |4| |3| |2| |1|

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:26 pm

The Germania Alliance wrote:Honestly? It's sickening.

Mind... Elaborating?

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Osthia
Negotiator

Founded: May 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Osthia » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:28 pm

These camps are just immoral. In my view, if God did not want gays, then they would not be here presently. This is obviously God's Will, to test others if they will truly love their relatives, friends, and neighbors for being who they are, as Jesus says, "Love thy neighbor as you would love yourself."

The Germania Alliance
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Germania Alliance » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:29 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
The Germania Alliance wrote:Honestly? It's sickening.

Mind... Elaborating?

Okay. Forcing one's beliefs on another because they have their own sexual preferences is sickening.
God.Bless.America.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:29 pm

I think they're stupid and terrible.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:33 pm

The Germania Alliance wrote:
Ceannairceach wrote:Mind... Elaborating?

Okay. Forcing one's beliefs on another because they have their own sexual preferences is sickening.

Ah, thank you.

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Episarta
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Episarta » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:34 pm

You know, in hindsight, maybe I should have added a poll. Could have seen the thoughts more accurately then. Since I assume some of the more conservative members on the site may be a bit hesitant to post their support for such camps seeing as how nearly everyone seems to find them to be horrible. They would get attacked with a wave of disagreement. Could have used it to possibly get a better batch of statistics.

Anyone think I should add one anyway?
Last edited by Episarta on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Economic Left/Right: -7.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
By the pricking of our thumbs, something wicked this way comes.
Up-to-date factbook is on my nation's main page

The Germania Alliance
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The Germania Alliance » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:35 pm

Ceannairceach wrote:
The Germania Alliance wrote:

Ah, thank you.

I don't understand how such camps are even legal.

EDIT: And yes.
Last edited by The Germania Alliance on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God.Bless.America.

Aesthetica
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aesthetica » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:38 pm

Episarta wrote:You know, in hindsight, maybe I should have added a poll. Could have seen the thoughts more accurately then. Since I assume some of the more conservative members on the site may be a bit hesitant to post their support for such camps seeing as how nearly everyone seems to find them to be horrible. They would get attacked with a wave of disagreement. Could have used it to possibly get a better batch of statistics.

Your thread, your call, I would suggest though that you tick the box to let people change their vote as people coming to a thread often vote on page one then change their minds later...
Atheist and Proud - Godless and Loud
You don't pray in our schools - We won't think in your churches
The Realm of Forgotten Gods

Aazeronia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aazeronia » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:39 pm

Osthia wrote:These camps are just immoral. In my view, if God did not want gays, then they would not be here presently. This is obviously God's Will, to test others if they will truly love their relatives, friends, and neighbors for being who they are, as Jesus says, "Love thy neighbor as you would love yourself."

That is an interesting theory.
Monarch: Alexander VIII / Chancellor: Matthias Vaalian, Lord Farcroft / Minister of Foreign Affairs: Tomas Velgible / Minister of Foreign Trade: Gregor Halfthousin
Armed Forces: Imperial Aazeronian Army(200,000), Imperial Aazeronian Armada(205,000), Imperial Aazeronian Air Fleet(355,000), Aazeronian Expeditionary Force(250,000), Black Phoenix Division(100,000), Aazeronian Humanitarian Corp(130,000)
Proud Member of:
Current Conflicts:
None

Grenartia
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 14, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Grenartia » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:43 pm

Osthia wrote:These camps are just immoral. In my view, if God did not want gays, then they would not be here presently. This is obviously God's Will, to test others if they will truly love their relatives, friends, and neighbors for being who they are, as Jesus says, "Love thy neighbor as you would love yourself."

If only there were more people like you. :) :hug:
Lib-left. Antifascist, antitankie, anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist (including the imperialism of non-western countries). Christian (Unitarian Universalist). Background in physics.
Mostly a girl. She or they pronouns, please. Unrepentant transbian.
Reject tradition, embrace modernity.
People who call themselves based NEVER are.
The truth about kids transitioning.

Saeran Sulsae
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saeran Sulsae » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:43 pm

Pretty much the same theory I subscribe to. Also, if my parents sent me to something like that when I was a kid, I'd probably just troll them the entire time.

"What about this girl?"

"No attraction"

"And this guy?"

"Oh yeah, he's what I want now"

"Okay you're cured"

"Okay, I'll be in the girl's locker room then. I have to... change outfits."

"Oh good, you're back. Why is your hair a mess like that...?"

"Oh I met this babe in there and just couldn't stop myself, you know sinful soul and all, sorry about that."
Last edited by Saeran Sulsae on Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Episarta
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 26, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Episarta » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:43 pm

Aesthetica wrote:
Episarta wrote:You know, in hindsight, maybe I should have added a poll. Could have seen the thoughts more accurately then. Since I assume some of the more conservative members on the site may be a bit hesitant to post their support for such camps seeing as how nearly everyone seems to find them to be horrible. They would get attacked with a wave of disagreement. Could have used it to possibly get a better batch of statistics.

Your thread, your call, I would suggest though that you tick the box to let people change their vote as people coming to a thread often vote on page one then change their minds later...

Eh, I just remembered I am incredibly lazy. And there would be too many options for me to think up at the moment with my tired brain. Maybe some other time. :p
Economic Left/Right: -7.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.79
By the pricking of our thumbs, something wicked this way comes.
Up-to-date factbook is on my nation's main page

Soheran
Minister

Founded: Jun 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Soheran » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:43 pm

Even the advocates of "ex-gay" therapy increasingly say that it doesn't actually change orientation so much as it changes behavior and lets people live manageably as celibate or as spouses in different-sex marriages.

Socialdemokraterne
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialdemokraterne » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:46 pm

Nornalhorst wrote:Call it what you want but it is possible for someone to change their sexual orientation.

I think I'll stick to calling it what it is, thank you. If "brainwashing" seems too dirty a word for you, I could just call it "programming".

Now some people probably have had more success than others with some people having a complete orientation change (not only are they no longer homosexual but they only feel attraction to the opposite sex) while others have succeeded in suppressing their homosexual desires and have become asexual.

Your conclusion that people experience full-on orientation changes is carrying the qualifier "probably". This statement is not: the APA and WHO say that what you think is probably possible is not. Not at all. They've found that reparative therapy does nothing, zilch, nada to change peoples' orientations. They've already found the suppression you've observed, and they've observed the severe psychological damage it does.

From a religious perspective denying the self is extremely important for most major religions around the world if humans did whatever they felt like complete chaos would overtake the world and we'd be no better than the wild animals who frolic freely in the wilderness. An example of denying yourself would be a father/husband who has a maid cleaning the house he notices that she is very attractive far more attractive than his wife and she is showing obvious signs of attraction to him when they are alone but the man denies himself and refuses to give in to his desire to have sex with the woman as he knows if his wife finds out she will be deeply hurt and this can completely ruin his marriage she may even take their kids that he loves so much.

Except that homosexuality only "causes harm" and "must be suppressed" because it is socially unaccepted. You could make a case that irresponsible sexual habits such as not using condoms, sleeping with multiple partners, and so on are harmful, but you can't argue that homosexuality itself is harmful. Those things by themselves are not homosexuality. What is the inherent danger of homosexuality to society? Floor's yours on that one.

I'm not saying prison is wrong its important to separate individuals who are a danger to society from the rest of society, but I am pointing out that rape does happen in prison at much higher levels than in normal society and being raped can have an effect on someone psychologically.

I understand completely what you're saying. You're saying that prison rape, given enough time, will change a person's orientation to homosexual. I asked you for evidence, and you've failed to deliver anything except conjecture and maybes.
A social democracy following a variant of the Nordic model of the European welfare state composed of a union of Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Greenland, Denmark, Sleswig-Holstein, and a bit of Estonia.

Leder du måske efter en dansk region? Dansk!

Biop
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Biop » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:47 pm

I remember reading something written by someone who was a Casulity of these shit holes, Gods for the life of me i wish i could remember that site
FORANGES

Scalie, Proud, Dangerous

Terintania

Oh god....Hopefully that waits for a while:P

Oh Christ seeing Cole cause this much, Hudson will kill us.

Osthia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Osthia » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:55 pm

Aazeronia wrote:

Yeah, but some of my conservative friends think otherwise. I mean, they don't say gays wil burn in Hell like the WBC says, but they think gay sex is immoral. But still, I have been thinking of writing a letter to His Holiness the Pope, asking him to reconsider his most recent statements on gay marriage to the College of Cardinals. I mean, it might not do much, but maybe it is what His Holiness needs to remember that their are Catholics who have neighbors, family, or friends who are gay and who do not appreciate that kind of philosophy.

Saeran Sulsae
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Saeran Sulsae » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:58 pm

Osthia wrote:Yeah, but some of my conservative friends think otherwise. I mean, they don't say gays wil burn in Hell like the WBC says, but they think gay sex is immoral. But still, I have been thinking of writing a letter to His Holiness the Pope, asking him to reconsider his most recent statements on gay marriage to the College of Cardinals. I mean, it might not do much, but maybe it is what His Holiness needs to remember that their are Catholics who have neighbors, family, or friends who are gay and who do not appreciate that kind of philosophy.

Asking the pope to reconsider anything? :eyebrow:

Aazeronia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Aazeronia » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:01 pm

Osthia wrote:
Aazeronia wrote:

Yeah, but some of my conservative friends think otherwise. I mean, they don't say gays wil burn in Hell like the WBC says, but they think gay sex is immoral. But still, I have been thinking of writing a letter to His Holiness the Pope, asking him to reconsider his most recent statements on gay marriage to the College of Cardinals. I mean, it might not do much, but maybe it is what His Holiness needs to remember that their are Catholics who have neighbors, family, or friends who are gay and who do not appreciate that kind of philosophy.

I have some friends who think that being gay is wrong but they don't judge me for it. And I do not think something is wrong just because the Pope says so. He is human just like anyone else.
Proud Member of:
Current Conflicts:
None

Zirconim
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 20, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zirconim » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:03 pm

Load of bullshit. I'd give a longer and more intricate opinion, but I don't think anyone really needs exlplaining on why these things are wrong.
Embassies In: Cosumar
Israslovakahzerbajan
Lemonius
Tech: PMT/FT
Economic: -3.00
Socially: -5.64

"There's a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious—makes you so sick at heart—that you can't take part. You can't even passively take part. And you've got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you've got to make it stop. And you've got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you're free, the machine will be prevented from working at all." -Mario Savio
Featured Album(s):
Sukekiyo-Immortalis
Featured Song(s):
David Bowie-Blackstar

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:05 pm

Aesthetica wrote:

That is as repellent as trying to "cure" being gay, more so since you are only saying that as part of your one man campaign to ban all sex for everyone because YOU have a hangup about it, go away, get drunk, get stoned, try and get laid...

See, we're all supposed to be gay because... uh... penises are bad for women, or something.

I can't keep track.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Osthia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Osthia » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:06 pm

Saeran Sulsae wrote:
Osthia wrote:Yeah, but some of my conservative friends think otherwise. I mean, they don't say gays wil burn in Hell like the WBC says, but they think gay sex is immoral. But still, I have been thinking of writing a letter to His Holiness the Pope, asking him to reconsider his most recent statements on gay marriage to the College of Cardinals. I mean, it might not do much, but maybe it is what His Holiness needs to remember that their are Catholics who have neighbors, family, or friends who are gay and who do not appreciate that kind of philosophy.

Asking the pope to reconsider anything? :eyebrow:

Of course. Its a long shot, but, as Aazeronia said, His Holiness is human, and he may realize that his dogma on gay marriage is a little too strict. But I digress. This topic is about ex-gay conversion camps, not the Pontiff's opinion on same-sex marriage.

King Koopa I
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby King Koopa I » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:06 pm

That's pretty fuckin dumb. Hell, even some of the most conservative Christians I've meet feel that it's not a sin to be gay, just to act on it. Worst thing I've seen since they tried forcing southpaws to wright with their right hand.
[ ]

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General