NATION

PASSWORD

Obama Trolls Senate Republicans: Progressives Delighted

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
New Conglomerate
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Obama Trolls Senate Republicans: Progressives Delighted

Postby New Conglomerate » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:36 am

WASHINGTON (CNNMoney) - In a move that has angered Republicans, President Obama is expected on Wednesday to make a recess appointment of Richard Cordray to be the first director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, sidestepping the Senate confirmation process, a senior administration official tells CNN.

The president is expected to make the official announcement at a 1:15 p.m. ET speech in Ohio, where Cordray served as attorney general.

Last month, the Senate failed to muster enough votes to take up confirmation of Cordray to run the consumer bureau, with all but one Republican voting against the move. At the time, President Obama hinted that was considering such a recess appointment.

News of the impending recess appointment spurred a flurry of angry statements from GOP leaders who have been trying to block a recess appointment for more than seven months.

"President Obama, in an unprecedented move, has arrogantly circumvented the American people by 'recess' appointing Richard Cordray as director of the new CFPB," said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell in a statement.

At stake are vast new powers the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau can't wield without a director. For example, the bureau can't regulate financial products from non-banks, including student loan providers, debt collectors, payday lenders and check cashers.

Without a chief, the bureau also can't regulate mortgage originators and servicers, which played a big role in the financial crisis by providing subprime mortgages to families who couldn't afford them.

The move has sharpened tension between the White House and Republicans, who have vowed since May to block confirmation of any director unless they get structural changes to the bureau, which was formed as part of the Wall Street reform law passed last year.

Republicans had been using a little-known procedure to keep the Senate in session - even as it wasn't really conducting any business - in order to stop the president from making recess appointments. Their basis for the move comes from a non-binding Department of Justice brief from 1993 that states Congress should be in recess for more than three days before the president makes an official recess appointment.

Until now, Obama has not tried to challenge the GOP's effort to block his recess appointments. However, legal experts have said they believed Obama had the authority to make such a recess appointment despite Congressional attempts to block him.

GOP leaders say they don't think Obama has the power to make a recess appointment, given their moves. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said Cordray's appointment is on "uncertain legal territory," in a statement.

And House Speaker John Boehner went a step further stating he expects "courts will find the appointment to be illegitimate," in a statement.

Republicans say their objection to Cordray's nomination has nothing to do with the nominee.

Instead, they want three big changes to how the bureau is overseen. They want to replace the director with a board; make the bureau ask Congress for money each year; and gain more power to overrule the bureau.

–CNN's Adam Aigner-Treworgy contributed to this report.

Source

Fuck yeah. Obama has apparently stolen someone's spine and he looks ready to beat the Republicans over the head with it.

Alright, for those late in the thread, Obama has used his recess appointment power to nominate Richard Cordray for the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau chief. The CFPB is designed to regulate banks, pay-day loans, mortgages, and generally every entity known for shitty business practices short of used car salesmen. He also appointed people to the National Labor Relations Board, thus ensuring further progress on making it easier for workers to organize.

There is some controversy surrounding this, mostly partisan nitpicking from the GOP. The Senate was using an old tactic devised by Democrats to avoid recess appointments, which is by calling a session of congress for about 60 seconds every three days or so. The White House argues that this does not constitute being in session.

What do you think of this developement?
Last edited by New Conglomerate on Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current WA Delegate of The NationStates Community.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:38 am

New Conglomerate wrote:
WASHINGTON (CNNMoney) - In a move that has angered Republicans, President Obama is expected on Wednesday to make a recess appointment of Richard Cordray to be the first director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, sidestepping the Senate confirmation process, a senior administration official tells CNN.

The president is expected to make the official announcement at a 1:15 p.m. ET speech in Ohio, where Cordray served as attorney general.

Last month, the Senate failed to muster enough votes to take up confirmation of Cordray to run the consumer bureau, with all but one Republican voting against the move. At the time, President Obama hinted that was considering such a recess appointment.

News of the impending recess appointment spurred a flurry of angry statements from GOP leaders who have been trying to block a recess appointment for more than seven months.

"President Obama, in an unprecedented move, has arrogantly circumvented the American people by 'recess' appointing Richard Cordray as director of the new CFPB," said Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell in a statement.

At stake are vast new powers the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau can't wield without a director. For example, the bureau can't regulate financial products from non-banks, including student loan providers, debt collectors, payday lenders and check cashers.

Without a chief, the bureau also can't regulate mortgage originators and servicers, which played a big role in the financial crisis by providing subprime mortgages to families who couldn't afford them.

The move has sharpened tension between the White House and Republicans, who have vowed since May to block confirmation of any director unless they get structural changes to the bureau, which was formed as part of the Wall Street reform law passed last year.

Republicans had been using a little-known procedure to keep the Senate in session - even as it wasn't really conducting any business - in order to stop the president from making recess appointments. Their basis for the move comes from a non-binding Department of Justice brief from 1993 that states Congress should be in recess for more than three days before the president makes an official recess appointment.

Until now, Obama has not tried to challenge the GOP's effort to block his recess appointments. However, legal experts have said they believed Obama had the authority to make such a recess appointment despite Congressional attempts to block him.

GOP leaders say they don't think Obama has the power to make a recess appointment, given their moves. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said Cordray's appointment is on "uncertain legal territory," in a statement.

And House Speaker John Boehner went a step further stating he expects "courts will find the appointment to be illegitimate," in a statement.

Republicans say their objection to Cordray's nomination has nothing to do with the nominee.

Instead, they want three big changes to how the bureau is overseen. They want to replace the director with a board; make the bureau ask Congress for money each year; and gain more power to overrule the bureau.

–CNN's Adam Aigner-Treworgy contributed to this report.

Source

Fuck yeah. Obama has apparently stolen someone's spine and he looks ready to beat the Republicans over the head with it. More info to follow.

I think it's none too soon. I did smile at "Republicans say their objection to Cordray's nomination has nothing to do with the nominee. Instead, they want three big changes to how the bureau is overseen. They want to replace the director with a board; make the bureau ask Congress for money each year; and gain more power to overrule the bureau." Yeah. "We don't mind the board existing, as long as it can't actually do anything."
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:42 am

You know, I used to be anti-Obama.

Then the anti-Obama folks opened their mouths and I listened to what they had to say.

Now I'm pro-Obama.
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:43 am

Bluth Corporation wrote:You know, I used to be anti-Obama.

Then the anti-Obama folks opened their mouths and I listened to what they had to say.

Now I'm pro-Obama.

You make my heart super happy!!

Damnit.... watching too many children's cartoons with my kid....
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

Natapoc
Post Marshal

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Natapoc » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:49 am

It's a start. A small almost meaningless gesture. I hope he is able to retain that newly found backbone and use it for more important things.
Did you see a ghost?

Atlantian Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantian Empire » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:50 am

Now I'm pro-Obama.

The only reason the be pro or anti anything is based your own views, not the views of others. BTW, Anti-Obama people come from across the board.
Hating you is just easier....and more fun
Economic: Left/Right: -4.25
Social: Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.05

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:53 am

Atlantian Empire wrote:

Now I'm pro-Obama.

The only reason the be pro or anti anything is based your own views, not the views of others. BTW, Anti-Obama people come from across the board.

Yes, and the views of the anti-Obama people are so full of hatred for everything this country was supposed to be about and for which the Revolution was fought that I realized there was no merit to them whatsoever.

Now I disagree with Obama on many issues, but I don't have a problem with him personally.
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:16 pm

New Conglomerate wrote:Source

Fuck yeah. Obama has apparently stolen someone's spine and he looks ready to beat the Republicans over the head with it. More info to follow.

'Bout time. Given that the filibuster of Cordray's appointment is the first time that a nominee has been filibustered without it having anything to do about their own qualifications/past/skills/attitude, Obama was and is right to slap them down.

Basically:

O: "Alright folks, there's this here division without a Director. Under the law which sets it up, it needs a Director to do its job. Here's Rich Cordray - good guy."
GOP Senators: "Mr. President, we couldn't agree more that Cordray's a good guy. But we're filibustering him anyway."
O: "Why? You just said he's a good guy for the job!"
GOP Senators: "Becuase we don't want the division to exist at all. So we're going to filibuster anyone who you nominate until you rewrite the rules to emasculate the division."
O: "Fk that. He's the director anyway, since you lot went out of town for a couple of days."
GOP Senators: "WAAAAAAAH! Obama stole our dollies!"
Mainstream media: "How horrible can Obama get? Now he's stealing Republicans' dollies!"
O: *facepalm*
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:18 pm

Now I'm pro-Obama.

Basically, you don't much like him, but the attitude of the anti-Obama zealots has pissed you off?
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:19 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:

Now I'm pro-Obama.

Basically, you don't much like him, but the attitude of the anti-Obama zealots has pissed you off?

That's the "short soundbite" version. The reality is much more nuanced.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:20 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
New Chalcedon wrote:

Fair enough.

Also, shouldn't the title of this thread be: "Obama trolls Senate Republicans: Progressives delighted"?

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: May 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:26 pm

LOL@ "unprecedented". I'd suggest the one senator in that story to check out a copy of the US Constitution... recess appointments are quite precedented and, their boy "Dubya" made no less than 6 when he was in office.
Last edited by Tekania on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Such heroic nonsense!

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:28 pm

How long until the Republicans repossess said courage from our dear POTUS?
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Vilayet
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vilayet » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:30 pm

What the fuck? Of course the appointment is legitimate, the Constitution says so. Hell, George Washington himself even utilized recess appointments.
Last edited by Vilayet on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Conserative Morality wrote:I view three forces that should constantly be at work to keep each other in check - the democratically elected representatives, the meritocratic government bureaucrats, and the egalitarian and equal law.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:30 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
New Chalcedon wrote:

IOW, you're pro-Obama simply to piss them off.... I can respect that.
Such heroic nonsense!

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:32 pm

Vilayet wrote:

What the fuck? Of course the appointment is legitimate, the Constitution says so. Hell, George Washington himself even utilized recess appointments.

And, if George did it, then the Republicans sure as hell would do it.

"No, no, we meant Obama can't do this kind of thing. We can. We're not Obama."

Goodbye.

New Conglomerate
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Conglomerate » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:34 pm

Tekania wrote:LOL@ "unprecedented". I'd suggest the one senator in that story to check out a copy of the US Constitution... recess appointments are quite precedented and, their boy "Dubya" made no less than 6 when he was in office.
It's "unprecedented" because they thought that banging the gavel for 60 seconds every three days made it "not a recess."

Vilayet
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vilayet » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Vilayet wrote:

And, if George did it, then the Republicans sure as hell would do it.

"No, no, we meant Obama can't do this kind of thing. We can. We're not Obama."

"You see, the Constitution only applies to citizens, and as we all know, Communazi Atheist Muslims like Obama can't possibly be citizens."
Conserative Morality wrote:I view three forces that should constantly be at work to keep each other in check - the democratically elected representatives, the meritocratic government bureaucrats, and the egalitarian and equal law.

Tekania
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Tekania » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:36 pm

Vilayet wrote:

It's okay, there is little chance their voter-base knows what is in the constitution anyway and will just assume what they say is true. And that this is an unconstitutional move by the ebil democrats.
Such heroic nonsense!

Hippostania
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Hippostania » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:36 pm

Our top story today; Obama is an idiot who thinks that pissing off half the country will help him in the upcoming elections.

Yeah, I don't think that was a smart move. But he's Obama, what else can you expect from him?
Last edited by Hippostania on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factbook - New Embassy Program
Economic Right: 10.00 - Social Authoritarian: 2.87 - Foreign Policy Neoconservative: 9.54 - Cultural Liberal: -1.14
For: market liberalism, capitalism, eurofederalism, neoconservatism, British unionism, atlanticism, LGB rights, abortion rights, Greater Israel, Pan-Western federalism, NATO, USA, EU
Against: communism, socialism, anarchism, eurosceptism, agrarianism, Swiss/Irish/Scottish/Welsh independence, cultural relativism, all things Russian, aboriginal/native American special rights

Hippo's Political Party Rankings (updated 21/7/2013)

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:38 pm

Tekania wrote:
Vilayet wrote:

It's okay, there is little chance their voter-base knows what is in the constitution anyway and will just assume what they say is true. And that this is an unconstitutional move by the ebil democrats.

What exactly is the difference between ebil democrats and us normal hippie bastard democrats?

Hippostania wrote:Our top story today; Obama is an idiot who thinks that pissing off half the country will help him in the upcoming elections

The only people you have something against this are his immediate political rivals. You know, the guys who want to keep him from doing anything?

Goodbye.

New Conglomerate
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Conglomerate » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:38 pm

Hippostania wrote:Our top story today; Obama is an idiot who thinks that pissing off half the country will help him in the upcoming elections

Hah... Half of Americans...

The Republican Party doesn't even make up half of the electorate.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:39 pm

New Conglomerate wrote:

Hah... Half of Americans...

The Republican Party doesn't even make up half of the electorate.

The independents ruin everything, don't they?

Goodbye.

New Conglomerate
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Conglomerate » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Tekania wrote:
Vilayet wrote:

If we're lucky, the House will try to impeach him over this.

THE NEW NEWLY UNITED STATES
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

FINALLY

Postby THE NEW NEWLY UNITED STATES » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:39 pm

finally a democrat in the USA stops being a pu**y and stands up to the republicans
Last edited by THE NEW NEWLY UNITED STATES on Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
national anthem http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kGuftnYHnQ

Those mean, evil mods say I can't troll in my sig. :(
communism may fail but my country's socialism doesn't
O PARTY OF LENIN
say this if you support Communism (or at least liberalism) IC

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General