NATION

PASSWORD

Republican Primary Megathread (poll now updated)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who Will Win the Republican nomination?

Newt Gingrich
7%
Ron Paul
31%
Mitt Romney
52%
Rick Santorum
10%

Total votes : 903

Silex Lariat
Secretary

Founded: Feb 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Silex Lariat » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:19 pm

Fools! With their machinations and mudslinging they have played right into the hands of the RON PAUL RELOVEUTION! The more chaos sown among the Republican frontrunners, the more delegates will defect when the time comes, and swarm to the ranks of the reloveutionaries who shall take back America and bring it into a glorious age of glorious glory! And gold! Also ending the Federal Reserve and... that other thing RON PAUL always says.

I'm actually a bit disappointed Santorum won't be the nominee. Mitt will say whatever he needs to say to get elected, which is generally boring and predictable stuff. Newt is a pompous windbag of the type we see plenty of in Congress. Paul has been repeating the same speech for thirty years. Santorum, though... he's a true wildcard. You have no idea what he's going to do next, and when he's going to open his mouth and say something absolutely pants-on-head retarded. For that reason alone I'd support a ticket with Santorum on it. Possibly Santorum/Bachmann but that would be too perfect for real life :<
Flag was too nice not to be used for something

(yes this is still me)

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:30 pm

Silex Lariat wrote:Fools! With their machinations and mudslinging they have played right into the hands of the RON PAUL RELOVEUTION! The more chaos sown among the Republican frontrunners, the more delegates will defect when the time comes, and swarm to the ranks of the reloveutionaries who shall take back America and bring it into a glorious age of glorious glory! And gold! Also ending the Federal Reserve and... that other thing RON PAUL always says.

I'm actually a bit disappointed Santorum won't be the nominee. Mitt will say whatever he needs to say to get elected, which is generally boring and predictable stuff. Newt is a pompous windbag of the type we see plenty of in Congress. Paul has been repeating the same speech for thirty years. Santorum, though... he's a true wildcard. You have no idea what he's going to do next, and when he's going to open his mouth and say something absolutely pants-on-head retarded. For that reason alone I'd support a ticket with Santorum on it. Possibly Santorum/Bachmann but that would be too perfect for real life :<

I don't know... Santorum/Gingrich... it has possibilities...

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:14 pm

The Steel Magnolia wrote:
Silex Lariat wrote:Fools! With their machinations and mudslinging they have played right into the hands of the RON PAUL RELOVEUTION! The more chaos sown among the Republican frontrunners, the more delegates will defect when the time comes, and swarm to the ranks of the reloveutionaries who shall take back America and bring it into a glorious age of glorious glory! And gold! Also ending the Federal Reserve and... that other thing RON PAUL always says.

We just need to come up an obscene term for "Gingrich".
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Salandriagado
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Apr 03, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Salandriagado » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:19 pm

Is it bad that I read that as "santorum over Gingrich"?
Cosara wrote:
Anachronous Rex wrote:Good thing most a majority of people aren't so small-minded, and frightened of other's sexuality.

Over 40% (including me), are, so I fixed the post for accuracy.

Vilatania wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:
Notice that the link is to the notes from a university course on probability. You clearly have nothing beyond the most absurdly simplistic understanding of the subject.
By choosing 1, you no longer have 0 probability of choosing 1. End of subject.

(read up the quote stack)

Deal. £3000 do?[/quote]

Of course.[/quote]

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:24 pm

Salandriagado wrote:

"Santorum on Gingrich." Everyone knows Newt's full of shit.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.

Jocabia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:36 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

I've come to expect better from you. Santorum on Gingrich would mean he was covered in shit.

And, don't look surprised. We all know I'm pedantic.
Sgt Toomey wrote:Come to think of it, it would make more sense to hate him for being black. At least its half true..
JJ Place wrote:Sure, the statistics are that a gun is more likely to harm a family member than a criminal

Kaeshar
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaeshar » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:36 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:I expect vote-rigging and delegate-stealing; of course, that cuts both ways. Remember that while Democrats habitually vote for the candidate they dislike the least, Republicans simply refuse to compromise and end up not voting for any candidate they can't support. If Romney cheats his way to a win, there's a good chance that the far right will simply stay home, believing that electing Mitt Romney is no better then re-electing Barack Obama. This was a factor for the GOP in 1996 and in 2008; it will be a factor in 2012, even if the race ends today.

Second, there's a good chance that Newt will fade from the equation from here on out. I expect him to try and fight for Louisiana and I expect him to try and fight for Texas, but past that point his relevance to the race will fade. He won't drop out, because he wants to keep his delegates as a bargaining chip in Tampa; but he isn't likely to bite as hard into Santorum's side from here on out.

I also think Mitt has committed a strategic blunder in saying publicly that he can't accept Santorum as his VP because Frothy isn't conservative enough on birth control and abortion. You have to wonder if there's some sort of gene in the Romney family tree that makes him say stupid things that can kill his campaign. But with that quote, not only has Mitt bought Rick Santorum's position on reproductive rights, he's actually committed himself to exceeding it.

Santorum will naturally air ads showing Romney saying that and then showing 90's Mitt speaking of how he supports a woman's right to choose, of how he supports Planned Parenthood, of how he and his wife raised money for Planned Parenthood, and essentially call him out as a flip-flopping liar. Indeed, Santorum has to do that if he wants to be viable in 2016 (and following the standard GOP succession rules, Frothy has essentially established himself as the heir apparent for 2016); he has to defend his core brand.

So where does that leave Mitt? He has no choice but to double down and move to Santorum's right on reproductive issues. He has to come out and say that 90's Mitt was before he saw the light, and that now he's hard-core pro-life and anti-contraception. He has to endorse a complete elimination of Title X money (because he's been attacking Santorum for supporting Title X); he has to say he's going to throw poor women under the bus when it comes to mammograms, etc. He has to endorse fetal personhood. He has to endorse mandatory waiting periods, "informed consent" ultrasounds, the works. All of this is going to alienate the GOP's "silent majority minority" of moderates and Republican-leaning independents - and it may just infuriate true conservatives (from the sheer flaming chutzpah of it all) enough to bring them out in droves for Santorum.

It was more than a stupid thing to say. It was a fucking bloody stupid thing to say.

I'm not at all discounting the possibility that Mitt will get 1144 before Tampa, or even the 1000 or so he needs to get to within striking distance for a deal. But given his weakness in the red States - which have a louder voice at the convention than the blue States (because that's how the delegate allocation system works; the Democratic system works the same way, but in reverse) - my point is that there's no reason why the Fab Four shouldn't all stay in the race and ride this thing all the way through to the convention.

And indeed, the longer this goes on, the greater the rewards for staying in, in so far as everybody's delegate count rises, and those delegates become ever more important as leverage the closer and closer we get to the Convention.

It would have been better to say 'I am not considering Santorum as a VP choice at this time." Neutral and leaves room for maneuvering.

Still, even if he is forced to change his message, he is a serial flip flopper, so will people believe him? Also his opponents will just call him out on flip flopping. So, he is stuck in a catch-22 here.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:46 pm

Kaeshar wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:I expect vote-rigging and delegate-stealing; of course, that cuts both ways. Remember that while Democrats habitually vote for the candidate they dislike the least, Republicans simply refuse to compromise and end up not voting for any candidate they can't support. If Romney cheats his way to a win, there's a good chance that the far right will simply stay home, believing that electing Mitt Romney is no better then re-electing Barack Obama. This was a factor for the GOP in 1996 and in 2008; it will be a factor in 2012, even if the race ends today.

Second, there's a good chance that Newt will fade from the equation from here on out. I expect him to try and fight for Louisiana and I expect him to try and fight for Texas, but past that point his relevance to the race will fade. He won't drop out, because he wants to keep his delegates as a bargaining chip in Tampa; but he isn't likely to bite as hard into Santorum's side from here on out.

I also think Mitt has committed a strategic blunder in saying publicly that he can't accept Santorum as his VP because Frothy isn't conservative enough on birth control and abortion. You have to wonder if there's some sort of gene in the Romney family tree that makes him say stupid things that can kill his campaign. But with that quote, not only has Mitt bought Rick Santorum's position on reproductive rights, he's actually committed himself to exceeding it.

Santorum will naturally air ads showing Romney saying that and then showing 90's Mitt speaking of how he supports a woman's right to choose, of how he supports Planned Parenthood, of how he and his wife raised money for Planned Parenthood, and essentially call him out as a flip-flopping liar. Indeed, Santorum has to do that if he wants to be viable in 2016 (and following the standard GOP succession rules, Frothy has essentially established himself as the heir apparent for 2016); he has to defend his core brand.

So where does that leave Mitt? He has no choice but to double down and move to Santorum's right on reproductive issues. He has to come out and say that 90's Mitt was before he saw the light, and that now he's hard-core pro-life and anti-contraception. He has to endorse a complete elimination of Title X money (because he's been attacking Santorum for supporting Title X); he has to say he's going to throw poor women under the bus when it comes to mammograms, etc. He has to endorse fetal personhood. He has to endorse mandatory waiting periods, "informed consent" ultrasounds, the works. All of this is going to alienate the GOP's "silent majority minority" of moderates and Republican-leaning independents - and it may just infuriate true conservatives (from the sheer flaming chutzpah of it all) enough to bring them out in droves for Santorum.

It was more than a stupid thing to say. It was a fucking bloody stupid thing to say.

I'm not at all discounting the possibility that Mitt will get 1144 before Tampa, or even the 1000 or so he needs to get to within striking distance for a deal. But given his weakness in the red States - which have a louder voice at the convention than the blue States (because that's how the delegate allocation system works; the Democratic system works the same way, but in reverse) - my point is that there's no reason why the Fab Four shouldn't all stay in the race and ride this thing all the way through to the convention.

And indeed, the longer this goes on, the greater the rewards for staying in, in so far as everybody's delegate count rises, and those delegates become ever more important as leverage the closer and closer we get to the Convention.

It would have been better to say 'I am not considering Santorum as a VP choice at this time." Neutral and leaves room for maneuvering.

Still, even if he is forced to change his message, he is a serial flip flopper, so will people believe him? Also his opponents will just call him out on flip flopping. So, he is stuck in a catch-22 here.

Maybe he can borrow a page from Daddy's playbook and claim he was brainwashed.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:46 pm

Gauthier wrote:
Salandriagado wrote:

I can see at least three different ways to interpret that, and all of them provide me with a weird combination of revulsion, perverse desire to see it realised, and revulsion.
I identify as
a problem

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Republican Primary Megathread (poll now updated)

Postby Alien Space Bats » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:14 pm

Just in time for summer!
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:19 pm

:palm:

Mitt Romney is the most incompetent politician I have ever seen in action. He starts with the potential to bring "moderates"(read: right-wing people who aren't insane,) to the polls, and then tries to completely redesign himself as a backwoods psychotic cultural fascist mid-campaign because he saw that his largest opponent managed to exploit the niche market for that brand of crazy. What the fuck is wrong with this idiot?
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:24 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:Mitt Romney is the most incompetent politician I have ever seen in action. He starts with the potential to bring "moderates"(read: right-wing people who aren't insane,) to the polls, and then tries to completely redesign himself as a backwoods psychotic cultural fascist mid-campaign because he saw that his largest opponent managed to exploit the niche market for that brand of crazy. What the fuck is wrong with this idiot?

I said it before. Willard Mitt Romney is a Political Munchkin. He's so desperate to win he's doing anything and everything he can think of to try and give himself the most plusses.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:28 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:I love Nerdland!

:hug:

EDIT: I tried to explain why "Nerdland" was such a cute term to my Illinois-born wife (Louisiana = Southland, Perry being a professor in PoliSci at Tulane). Then I just gave up...

i love that she calls it nerdland. the pretty litlle professor lady is a freaking NERD.

as we all are.
whatever

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:29 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Alien Space Bats wrote:I love Nerdland!

:hug:

EDIT: I tried to explain why "Nerdland" was such a cute term to my Illinois-born wife (Louisiana = Southland, Perry being a professor in PoliSci at Tulane). Then I just gave up...

i love that she calls it nerdland. the pretty litlle professor lady is a freaking NERD.

as we all are.

"So say we all", surely?
I identify as
a problem

Alien Space Bats
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Republican Primary Megathread (poll now updated)

Postby Alien Space Bats » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:44 pm

New England and The Maritimes wrote:What the fuck is wrong with this idiot?

Ponder the last word in that sentence, and you might see the light. ;)
Last edited by Alien Space Bats on Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"These states are just saying 'Yes, I used to beat my girlfriend, but I haven't since the restraining order, so we don't need it anymore.'" — Stephen Colbert, Comedian, on Shelby County v. Holder

"Do you see how policing blacks by the presumption of guilt and policing whites by the presumption of innocence is a self-reinforcing mechanism?" — Touré Neblett, MSNBC Commentator and Social Critic

"You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in."Songwriter Oscar Brown in 1963, foretelling the election of Donald J. Trump

President Donald J. Trump: Working Tirelessly to Make Russia Great Again

The Steel Magnolia
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steel Magnolia » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:49 pm

Alien Space Bats wrote:
New England and The Maritimes wrote:What the fuck is wrong with this idiot?

Ponder the last word in that sentence, and you might see the light. ;)

Hilariously, there was a Tea Party ad at the bottom of the page when I read that.

Jari Head
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 24, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jari Head » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Salandriagado wrote:

One of Newt's gang floated that idea, Frothy as Pres and Newt as veep
We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?
Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the assault on Grenada, 1983
A bullet may have your name on it, but a grenade is addressed: "To whom it may concern."

Wikkiwallana
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikkiwallana » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:21 pm

Gauthier wrote:

It's going to be pretty hard to find something roughly as vile as he is.
Proud Scalawag and Statist!

Please don't confuse my country for my politics; my country is being run as a parody, my posts aren't.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Halt!
Just because these people are stupid, wrong and highly dangerous does not mean you have the right to make them feel sad.
Xenohumanity wrote:
Nulono wrote:Snip
I'm a pro-lifer who runs a nation of dragon-men...
And even I think that's stupid.
Avenio wrote:Just so you know, the use of the term 'sheep' 'sheeple' or any other herd animal-based terminology in conjunction with an exhortation to 'think outside the box' or stop going along with groupthink generally indicates that the speaker is actually more closed-minded on the subject than the people that he/she is addressing. At least, in my experience at least.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:22 pm

Wikkiwallana wrote:
Gauthier wrote:

It's going to be pretty hard to find something roughly as vile as he is.

I've always liked "serial adulterer."
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Jocabia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:28 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Wikkiwallana wrote:It's going to be pretty hard to find something roughly as vile as he is.

I've always liked "serial adulterer."

I'm good with that as long as you figure out a way to make it a verb.

Dude, seriously, you didn't gingrich, did you?
Sgt Toomey wrote:Come to think of it, it would make more sense to hate him for being black. At least its half true..
JJ Place wrote:Sure, the statistics are that a gun is more likely to harm a family member than a criminal

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Jocabia wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I've always liked "serial adulterer."

"Santorum" isn't a verb, though.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Jocabia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Jocabia » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Jocabia wrote:I'm good with that as long as you figure out a way to make it a verb.

"Santorum" isn't a verb, though.

Yes, but Santorum is more passive. Gingrich is a cock on purpose.

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Jocabia wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:I've always liked "serial adulterer."

Better yet "Dude, she got diagnosed with cancer!" "So?" "So I gingriched her, that's what!"
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

The UK in Exile
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 27, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby The UK in Exile » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:35 pm

gingrinch: a moral vaccum so dense the truth can never escape it.
"We fought for the public good and would have enfranchised the people and secured the welfare of the whole groaning creation, if the nation had not more delighted in servitude than in freedom"

"My actions are as noble as my thoughts, That never relish’d of a base descent.I came unto your court for honour’s cause, And not to be a rebel to her state; And he that otherwise accounts of me, This sword shall prove he’s honour’s enemy."

"Wählte Ungnade, wo Gehorsam nicht Ehre brachte."
DEFCON 0 - not at war
DEFCON 1 - at war "go to red alert!" "are you absolutely sure sir? it does mean changing the lightbulb."

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:42 pm

The UK in Exile wrote:gingrinch: a moral vaccum so dense the truth can never escape it.

I like it but it doesn't quite ring true. Vacuums are empty, not dense.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General