NATION

PASSWORD

Did Aliens visit Ancient Civilizations?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe that extraterrestrials visited ancient civilizations?

Yes
22%
No
61%
Unsure
17%

Total votes : 168

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:28 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Doppio Giudici wrote:
Im reading from a book on the 100 mathmatic proofs and you could GOOGLE IT.

It's up to you to prove your argument. That includes providing the sources.

Oh, he's probably just badly confused about Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Doppio Giudici » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:28 pm

Brains are already massively energy-hungry organs. More than two arms and two legs and you have a brain that has more resources dedicated to motor control than ours, which assuming an approximate mass, means a brain less capable of speech and abstract thought. In order to have multiple limbs dedicated to manipulating objects to the degree we humans are capable and have the same neural complexity, I would think that such a creature would eat like crazy, and having to allocate resources to digestion/consumption would take resources away from brain development....

It is like how in Sci-Fi you have those races with redundant organs who are super hard to kill as a result. The extra organs would compete with brain development and reproduction. In short, I agree with Doppio Giudici. Because the alternative is that we encounter the sort of bizarre lifeforms that Stanislaw Lem writes about.[/quote]

I would have said just that , but I'm very tired and I'm on 3 other threads. So I just dumbed it down and hoped people would think about it.
I use this old account for FT, Pentaga Giudici and Vadia are for MT.

"Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening"

Construction is taking forever, but Prole Confederation will be paying millions of Trade Units for embassies and merchants that show up at the SBTH

Free Soviets
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Free Soviets » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:29 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
The Korean Confederation wrote:I was watching Ancient Aliens on the so called "History" channel today, and I'm wondering, do you believe that extraterrestrials visited and possibly even influenced the ancient civilizations of the Egyptians, Maya, Nazca, etc? Explain your reasoning.

Unlikely, if for no other reason than it seems unrealistic someone would make that much effort, and then bog off, never to be seen again.

maybe they just really like helping people stack up piles of big rocks.

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:31 pm

DesAnges wrote:

It's not laziness. It's basic debating skill and etiquette.

The second rule in debating is to not gang up on one person. The 65th rule is to never start a makeshift debate with a tired opponent.

Construction is taking forever, but Prole Confederation will be paying millions of Trade Units for embassies and merchants that show up at the SBTH

The Kangaroo Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kangaroo Republic » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:32 pm

Ifreann wrote:(Image)

Though seriously, there's absolutely no reason to think so. It could have happened, in much the same way that Aristotle could have secretly been a kangaroo.

But, Aristotle WAS a kangaroo.
Sub Astra --- Australes Unum
they/them or he/him pronouns please
Version 3 of the Kangaroo Republic started on 9 March, 2014

>>Go to factbook<<

Other names for the Kangaroo Republic: The Federation, FKR, The Federal Kangaroo Republic
Demonym: Macropodine, Kangan
NS resident kangaroo furry and therian.
Demsoc, Pro BLM, Pro Antifa
Big ol' non-binary duder

Northwest Slobovia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 16, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Northwest Slobovia » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:32 pm

Doppio Giudici wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:
It's up to you to prove your argument. That includes providing the sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/brain-vat/
http://www.iep.utm.edu/brainvat/

THERE ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? Why do people have to be so darn lazy?

And, um, what does the possibility that we're brains in a vat prove about the aliens visiting Earth? Is your reasoning something like "well, we can't rule out that we're brains in a vat, therefore we can't rule out aliens visiting Earth."? If so, that's a hell of a non sequitur.
Gollum died for your sins.
Power is an equal-opportunity corrupter.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:33 pm

Doppio Giudici wrote:
DesAnges wrote:It's not laziness. It's basic debating skill and etiquette.

The second rule in debating is to not gang up on one person. The 65th rule is to never start a makeshift debate with a tired opponent.

I thought the second rule in debating was "Don't talk about debate club".
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:33 pm

The Kangaroo Republic wrote:
Ifreann wrote:(Image)

Though seriously, there's absolutely no reason to think so. It could have happened, in much the same way that Aristotle could have secretly been a kangaroo.

But, Aristotle WAS a kangaroo.

Nice to see you appear suddenly :clap:
The Blaatschapen should resign

Pendragonia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pendragonia » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:34 pm

Doppio Giudici wrote:Brains are already massively energy-hungry organs. More than two arms and two legs and you have a brain that has more resources dedicated to motor control than ours, which assuming an approximate mass, means a brain less capable of speech and abstract thought. In order to have multiple limbs dedicated to manipulating objects to the degree we humans are capable and have the same neural complexity, I would think that such a creature would eat like crazy, and having to allocate resources to digestion/consumption would take resources away from brain development....

It is like how in Sci-Fi you have those races with redundant organs who are super hard to kill as a result. The extra organs would compete with brain development and reproduction. In short, I agree with Doppio Giudici. Because the alternative is that we encounter the sort of bizarre lifeforms that Stanislaw Lem writes about.

I would have said just that , but I'm very tired and I'm on 3 other threads. So I just dumbed it down and hoped people would think about it.[/quote]

I am rather biology-illiterate, but I understand the idea of any biological entity being at the most fundamental level an Input-Output & Stimulus-Response engine. Of course, just wait, there will be someone who will ask something along the lines of "why should a brain cost much resources? why should it have to compete with blah blah blah".
Formerly the Free Land of Metroarachnidanopolis.

"He who dares not offend, cannot be honest."-Thomas Paine

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Doppio Giudici wrote:

I thought the second rule in debating was "Don't talk about debate club".

This isnt fight club , this is a 50 pound rule book

DesAnges
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Doppio Giudici wrote:
DesAnges wrote:It's not laziness. It's basic debating skill and etiquette.

It's not ganging up, as you are holding up well enough to not start insulting us when we disagree with you. So Kudos.

And as for the 65th rule, a) its the internet, no-one knows you're tired and b) its not a makeshift debate, its a valid point of non-hypocrisy.
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:37 pm

Northwest Slobovia wrote:

And, um, what does the possibility that we're brains in a vat prove about the aliens visiting Earth? Is your reasoning something like "well, we can't rule out that we're brains in a vat, therefore we can't rule out aliens visiting Earth."? If so, that's a hell of a non sequitur.

I was debunking something and then you butted it

The Kangaroo Republic
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kangaroo Republic » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:38 pm

The Blaatschapen wrote:
The Kangaroo Republic wrote:But, Aristotle WAS a kangaroo.

Nice to see you appear suddenly :clap:

I just saw the word kangaroo, so I had to appear there.

Anyway, aliens visiting ancient civilisations, it's very very implausible, as in, it's as implausible as most other myths. Sure, it may be possible aliens randomly decided to visit earth, during the time of ancient civilisations, but then we might as well just claim it's very possible that bigfoot also exists because there's no evidence that entirely excludes the possibility.
Sub Astra --- Australes Unum
they/them or he/him pronouns please
Version 3 of the Kangaroo Republic started on 9 March, 2014

>>Go to factbook<<

Other names for the Kangaroo Republic: The Federation, FKR, The Federal Kangaroo Republic
Demonym: Macropodine, Kangan
NS resident kangaroo furry and therian.
Demsoc, Pro BLM, Pro Antifa
Big ol' non-binary duder

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:39 pm

Pendragonia wrote:
Doppio Giudici wrote:Brains are already massively energy-hungry organs. More than two arms and two legs and you have a brain that has more resources dedicated to motor control than ours, which assuming an approximate mass, means a brain less capable of speech and abstract thought. In order to have multiple limbs dedicated to manipulating objects to the degree we humans are capable and have the same neural complexity, I would think that such a creature would eat like crazy, and having to allocate resources to digestion/consumption would take resources away from brain development....

It is like how in Sci-Fi you have those races with redundant organs who are super hard to kill as a result. The extra organs would compete with brain development and reproduction. In short, I agree with Doppio Giudici. Because the alternative is that we encounter the sort of bizarre lifeforms that Stanislaw Lem writes about.

I would have said just that , but I'm very tired and I'm on 3 other threads. So I just dumbed it down and hoped people would think about it.

I am rather biology-illiterate, but I understand the idea of any biological entity being at the most fundamental level an Input-Output & Stimulus-Response engine. Of course, just wait, there will be someone who will ask something along the lines of "why should a brain cost much resources? why should it have to compete with blah blah blah".[/quote]

I know some people you should talk to. Have you heard of basic finite resource thery?

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:42 pm

DesAnges wrote:
Doppio Giudici wrote:

It's not ganging up, as you are holding up well enough to not start insulting us when we disagree with you. So Kudos.

And as for the 65th rule, a) its the internet, no-one knows you're tired and b) its not a makeshift debate, its a valid point of non-hypocrisy.

Someone said I needed to use debate skills , so I assumed that this was a debate and used its rules against him or her

Pendragonia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Pendragonia » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:42 pm

Doppio Giudici wrote:
Pendragonia wrote:

I am rather biology-illiterate, but I understand the idea of any biological entity being at the most fundamental level an Input-Output & Stimulus-Response engine. Of course, just wait, there will be someone who will ask something along the lines of "why should a brain cost much resources? why should it have to compete with blah blah blah".

I know some people you should talk to. Have you heard of basic finite resource thery?[/quote]

Got a link to it? I think that sounds familiar.

DesAnges
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:43 pm

Doppio Giudici wrote:
DesAnges wrote:It's not ganging up, as you are holding up well enough to not start insulting us when we disagree with you. So Kudos.

Someone said I needed to use debate skills , so I assumed that this was a debate and used its rules against him or her

Oh. Yeh that was me. See, debate...
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:44 pm

Got a link to it? I think that sounds familiar.[/quote]

No.....It's just what WE call it. If you can figure out what it means in 10 minutes , then you are on of US. Just look at the words and guess. Basic. Finite. Resource. Thery. What do you think each word means?
Last edited by Doppio Giudici on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:46 pm

DesAnges wrote:
Doppio Giudici wrote:

Oh. Yeh that was me. See, debate...

Anything else?

Pendragonia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Pendragonia » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:49 pm

Doppio Giudici wrote:Got a link to it? I think that sounds familiar.

No.....It's just what WE call it. If you can figure out what it means in 10 minutes , then you are on of US. Just look at the words and guess. Basic. Finite. Resource. Thery. What do you think each word means?[/quote]

Not at all related to this?

DesAnges
Post Czar

Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:52 pm

Doppio Giudici wrote:
DesAnges wrote:Oh. Yeh that was me. See, debate...

Anything else?

I'm all out of jokes (read smartassery) tbh, and since we are no longer debating the points at hand, I guess we can draw a line under our conversance. Good day to you sir *doffs hat*
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Parka1000
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 06, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Parka1000 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:07 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Delemont Septentrio wrote:I'm a believer in the theory, crazier things have happened.

I can't think of many. Mary Reeser's spontaneous human combustion, and the 1894 rain of Jellyfish in Bath are about it.

Justin Bieber became famous, thats the craziest thing I know
Fight with us, or become part of us, either way you now are my slaves

My other nations are Toronina and Dogapus, each has its own form of goverment

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Parka1000
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 06, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Parka1000 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:27 pm

Doppio Giudici wrote:I already explained that to be sentient you need to have arms in order to make and use tools , arms require you to walk up right or you just have 4 legs. If it can't speak or use sign language then nothing would happen. A increase of gravity means a lack of sentiant life or thick , strong sentiant life. I think a lack of DNA is a bit radical and extremely unlikely

Why do you need arms? Or at least, appendages that are specifically defined? Why can't they have tentacles or all manner of things we can't imagine.

If you're asking people to think big on the subject of other life, ask yourself to think big on your ideas of the aesthetics and functions of life.[/quote]

You need fingers to pick things up , tentacles dont have fingers! Plus that takes up to much room in the brain to power and your idea's are a bit more radical then thought problem radical[/quote]
Tentacles have suction cups, much cooler then arms
Fight with us, or become part of us, either way you now are my slaves

My other nations are Toronina and Dogapus, each has its own form of goverment

GENERATION 29: The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

New Sapienta
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sapienta » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:28 pm

What if aliens are debating whether or not humans visited their ancient civlizations? :blink:

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Maybe.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General