NATION

PASSWORD

Did Aliens visit Ancient Civilizations?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you believe that extraterrestrials visited ancient civilizations?

Yes
22%
No
61%
Unsure
17%

Total votes : 168

Inky Noodles
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Inky Noodles » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:09 pm

JK, but, it seems possible...

there is some good evidence that comes up every once in a while that can't be explained.
But that does not mean aliens did it.
Transnapastain wrote:
Inky Noodles wrote:QUICK.

I WANNA ASK SOMEONE TO HOMECOMING.

whaddo I do?!

So I just met you
and this is crazy
but heres my number
homecoming maybe?

*not a valid offer.

~Trans, killing TET's since part 45.

San Leggera wrote:
Veceria wrote:People with big noses have big penises.
Even the females.

Especially the females. *nod*

Hurdegaryp wrote:
Belligerent Alcoholics wrote:Are you OK? :eyebrow:

It's a person called Inky Noodles in a thread that is not exactly known for its sanity in general. Do the math, beerguzzler.

18 year old Virginian

Ravens, O's, and Penguins fan

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Founded: Nov 26, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Doppio Giudici » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:09 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Doppio Giudici wrote:
If I remember correctly all our ways of gathering proof are flawed. We could just be brains in a vat or any number of different possibities

Seriously? Someone asks for evidence and your answer is, The Matrix?

Thats not the matrix , Thats a mathmatic proof writen by a scientist at the top of his game. Look it up! I am merely pointing out that we can never be sure that anything is true or false.
I use this old account for FT, Pentaga Giudici and Vadia are for MT.

"Ten thousand people, maybe more
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening"

Construction is taking forever, but Prole Confederation will be paying millions of Trade Units for embassies and merchants that show up at the SBTH

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Doppio Giudici wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Seriously? Someone asks for evidence and your answer is, The Matrix?

Thats not the matrix , Thats a mathmatic proof writen by a scientist at the top of his game. Look it up! I am merely pointing out that we can never be sure that anything is true or false.

Quoth thy NSG, "Source?"
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Xanixi
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Xanixi » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Xanixi wrote:
Correct; there is no evidence to truly believe that aliens did, have, or will contact Humanity. But there is no standing evidence that God ever did. I don't call religion nonsense, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't call the possibility of other species having an influence on Humanity nonsense.

Difference: Religion makes sense, in a way. It is logical to aspire to better yourself, as it is logical to assume that there are higher beings that created us.

It is illogical, however, to assume that these beings came here in UFO's because you assume some long dead Africans couldn't put rocks on top of rocks.

???
Religion? Making sense? To avoid starting some flame battles here, Ill just request some evidence as to how Religion makes sense.

Also, Im not saying that. I never stated that aliens helped them build things, I just suggested that its possible ancient religions were based off of misunderstandings from contact with Aliens rather than actual gods.
Grand Imperial Republic of Thedosia | Galactic Imperial Republic [FT]
DEFCON: [4]; Double Take
| Pop.: 508,191,116 | Area: 24.670.330 km2 | Demonym: Thedosian/Republic/Imperial |
| Military: 5,482,193 | GDP: US$32,842,135,458,524.96 | Lifespan: ~650 y/o |
Dr. Carl Sagan wrote:“They say astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”
Most Astounding Fact
#AupaAtleti #ContigoHastaElFinal
American and Spanish

The Blaatschapen
Technical Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Blaatschapen » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:11 pm

Doppio Giudici wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:
Quite a lot of assumptions there. Why would sentient life be humanoid? Why would it speak or walk upright? Especially walking upright is not a given imo if the gravity on their planet of origin is higher. Walking upright in such a case would simply cost too much energy. Also, indeed their energy intake might be wholly different (no use of NADP+ etc.). Hell, they might not even have DNA but use something different.

I already explained that to be sentient you need to have arms in order to make and use tools , arms require you to walk up right or you just have 4 legs. If it can't speak or use sign language then nothing would happen. A increase of gravity means a lack of sentiant life or thick , strong sentiant life. I think a lack of DNA is a bit radical and extremely unlikely

Well, a lack of DNA might not be unlikely. Already between us and bacteria, both have DNA but ours is in the form of chromosomes while theirs is in a circular form. Then there's the whole coding thing where 3 base pairs translate to 1 amino acid. Such things might be wildly different in aliens too. Not to mention if they're not carbon based but say, silicon based.

Also, dolphins are very intelligent. Are they sentient or not? Wiki says: "Sentience is the ability to feel, perceive or be conscious, or to have subjective experiences. " now I have no clue how we can measure such a thing, but I really wonder.

Safe to say, if there is intelligent alien life out there, it can be wildly different from us, all depending on the circumstances in which they evolved.

PS. Perhaps the aliens can also have 4 legs and two arms, thus not required to walk upright.
The Blaatschapen should resign

Jusela
Diplomat

Founded: May 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jusela » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:11 pm

All this "ancient astronauts" bullshit is based on the misassumption that ancient peoples were dumb. The Pyramids, how did those brown egyptians build those huge things? Surely they must have lacked the tools and expertise needed. Aliens from outer space must have helped them! :eyebrow:

Fact is, people back then are no different from us, apart from the fact that they probably had horrible oral hygiene. They were just as intelligent and creative as we are today.

EnragedMaldivians
Powerbroker

Founded: Feb 01, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby EnragedMaldivians » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Doppio Giudici wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Seriously? Someone asks for evidence and your answer is, The Matrix?

Any number of possibilities =/= all possibilities are equally probable.
Taking a break.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:12 pm

Xanixi wrote:
Difference: Religion makes sense, in a way. It is logical to aspire to better yourself, as it is logical to assume that there are higher beings that created us.

It is illogical, however, to assume that these beings came here in UFO's because you assume some long dead Africans couldn't put rocks on top of rocks.

???
Religion? Making sense? To avoid starting some flame battles here, Ill just request some evidence as to how Religion makes sense.

Also, Im not saying that. I never stated that aliens helped them build things, I just suggested that its possible ancient religions were based off of misunderstandings from contact with Aliens rather than actual gods.

From a psychological standpoint.

But why do you think that? If you're going to ask us to respect your ideals, give us a logical reason why.

Goodbye.

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:13 pm

I already explained that to be sentient you need to have arms in order to make and use tools , arms require you to walk up right or you just have 4 legs. If it can't speak or use sign language then nothing would happen. A increase of gravity means a lack of sentiant life or thick , strong sentiant life. I think a lack of DNA is a bit radical and extremely unlikely[/quote]
Why do you need arms? Or at least, appendages that are specifically defined? Why can't they have tentacles or all manner of things we can't imagine.

If you're asking people to think big on the subject of other life, ask yourself to think big on your ideas of the aesthetics and functions of life.[/quote]

You need fingers to pick things up , tentacles dont have fingers! Plus that takes up to much room in the brain to power and your idea's are a bit more radical then thought problem radical

Construction is taking forever, but Prole Confederation will be paying millions of Trade Units for embassies and merchants that show up at the SBTH

Idealismania
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Idealismania » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:14 pm

My coworker believes in aliens, bigfoot and massive sea monsters that live in lakes. She also believes in real werewolf-like creatures and ghosts. So to disprove my scepticism she brought in a map of the state we live in that lists all the sightings of the above mentioned creatures ever to be recorded. It was very interesting to see the migration patters of bigfoot and I noticed there were a lot of sightings in the 60's and 70's. Strange times indeed, and since they're all on a high-quality map, it has to be real right? Also, there were business ads on the map so if anyone is in need of a good Bigfoot or alien researcher, I have his business and home phone number.
Last edited by Idealismania on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:14 pm

Doppio Giudici wrote:

Quoth thy NSG, "Source?"

Im reading from a book on the 100 mathmatic proofs and you could GOOGLE IT.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Doppio Giudici wrote:
Quoth thy NSG, "Source?"

It's up to you to prove your argument. That includes providing the sources.

Goodbye.

Xanixi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Xanixi » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Jusela wrote:All this "ancient astronauts" bullshit is based on the misassumption that ancient peoples were dumb. The Pyramids, how did those brown egyptians build those huge things? Surely they must have lacked the tools and expertise needed. Aliens from outer space must have helped them! :eyebrow:

Fact is, people back then are no different from us, apart from the fact that they probably had horrible oral hygiene. They were just as intelligent and creative as we are today.

Im going to assume that the first part wasn't aimed at me, since I never mentioned they helped Humans build.

The second part: Humans weren't as intelligent was we are now. Our advancements in technology have allowed us to become smarter, and, as theories get erased and replaced, we gain more intelligence from what we can observe.
| Pop.: 508,191,116 | Area: 24.670.330 km2 | Demonym: Thedosian/Republic/Imperial |
Dr. Carl Sagan wrote:“They say astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.”
Most Astounding Fact
American and Spanish

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Doppio Giudici wrote:I already explained that to be sentient you need to have arms in order to make and use tools , arms require you to walk up right or you just have 4 legs. If it can't speak or use sign language then nothing would happen. A increase of gravity means a lack of sentiant life or thick , strong sentiant life. I think a lack of DNA is a bit radical and extremely unlikely

Why do you need arms? Or at least, appendages that are specifically defined? Why can't they have tentacles or all manner of things we can't imagine.

If you're asking people to think big on the subject of other life, ask yourself to think big on your ideas of the aesthetics and functions of life.[/quote]

You need fingers to pick things up , tentacles dont have fingers! Plus that takes up to much room in the brain to power and your idea's are a bit more radical then thought problem radical[/quote]

Our new octopus overlords would like to have a talk with you. They pick things up just fine.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:17 pm

No. That was easy.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:18 pm

Well, a lack of DNA might not be unlikely. Already between us and bacteria, both have DNA but ours is in the form of chromosomes while theirs is in a circular form. Then there's the whole coding thing where 3 base pairs translate to 1 amino acid. Such things might be wildly different in aliens too. Not to mention if they're not carbon based but say, silicon based.

Also, dolphins are very intelligent. Are they sentient or not? Wiki says: "Sentience is the ability to feel, perceive or be conscious, or to have subjective experiences. " now I have no clue how we can measure such a thing, but I really wonder.

Safe to say, if there is intelligent alien life out there, it can be wildly different from us, all depending on the circumstances in which they evolved.

PS. Perhaps the aliens can also have 4 legs and two arms, thus not required to walk upright.[/quote]

*bangs head on table*

NOOOOO! If you aren't upright then you can't build things or look up that well, you can't even see predators or friends. Why do you think we are getting taller every generation?

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:19 pm

Xanixi wrote:
Jusela wrote:All this "ancient astronauts" bullshit is based on the misassumption that ancient peoples were dumb. The Pyramids, how did those brown egyptians build those huge things? Surely they must have lacked the tools and expertise needed. Aliens from outer space must have helped them! :eyebrow:

Im going to assume that the first part wasn't aimed at me, since I never mentioned they helped Humans build.

The second part: Humans weren't as intelligent was we are now. Our advancements in technology have allowed us to become smarter, and, as theories get erased and replaced, we gain more intelligence from what we can observe.

No. We're just more informed. There's a difference.

You don't need to be informed to stack rocks on rocks. But, as that's not your argument, we'll move on from that.

Goodbye.

Canada Remnants
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Canada Remnants » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:20 pm

Theory is just theory. :p
I hope we can get along and have fun in this political game.
Please give me tips and advice I do appreciate it

National Info
DEFCON Level 1
Nearly 100 million army, navy and air personnel forces standing by for orders to attack

DEFCON Level 2
Counterattacking the opposing nation.
DEFCON Level 3
All army, sea and air personnel forces are to attack the nation.
DEFCON Level 4
Nukes are ready to be launched at the enemy.
DEFCON Level 5
All citizens and army personnel are to take shelter immediately from the nuclear radiation before the launch of the nukes.

My Supporter

Natty Narwhal
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Natty Narwhal » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:21 pm

Until there is credible evidence to support either side, I will remain neutral on the subject.
All the people I admire can fly -
Why can't I do that?

DesAnges
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:22 pm

Doppio Guudici wrote:
DesAnges wrote:Why do you need arms? Or at least, appendages that are specifically defined? Why can't they have tentacles or all manner of things we can't imagine.

If you're asking people to think big on the subject of other life, ask yourself to think big on your ideas of the aesthetics and functions of life.

You need fingers to pick things up , tentacles dont have fingers! Plus that takes up to much room in the brain to power and your idea's are a bit more radical then thought problem radical

The Oxford English Dictionary's definition of sentience, btw:

able to perceive or feel things

The point of tentacles are that they are flexible and prehensile - therefore, the need for fingers is, well, not a need at all. Once again, you are limiting your definitions of life to the humanoid, this time in the brain size - computing power ratio. Why are the aliens' brains not wired differently? They might have much more efficient neural pathways and therefore the use of tentacles would not require so much power. Although your assumption of tentacles requiring a lot of brain power is somewhat dubious in the first place.

And I can't answer the point about my radical ideas because it doesn't make sense...
Last edited by DesAnges on Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

Pendragonia
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pendragonia » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:22 pm

Doppio Giudici wrote:
The Blaatschapen wrote:
Quite a lot of assumptions there. Why would sentient life be humanoid? Why would it speak or walk upright? Especially walking upright is not a given imo if the gravity on their planet of origin is higher. Walking upright in such a case would simply cost too much energy. Also, indeed their energy intake might be wholly different (no use of NADP+ etc.). Hell, they might not even have DNA but use something different.

I already explained that to be sentient you need to have arms in order to make and use tools , arms require you to walk up right or you just have 4 legs. If it can't speak or use sign language then nothing would happen. A increase of gravity means a lack of sentiant life or thick , strong sentiant life. I think a lack of DNA is a bit radical and extremely unlikely

Brains are already massively energy-hungry organs. More than two arms and two legs and you have a brain that has more resources dedicated to motor control than ours, which assuming an approximate mass, means a brain less capable of speech and abstract thought. In order to have multiple limbs dedicated to manipulating objects to the degree we humans are capable and have the same neural complexity, I would think that such a creature would eat like crazy, and having to allocate resources to digestion/consumption would take resources away from brain development....

It is like how in Sci-Fi you have those races with redundant organs who are super hard to kill as a result. The extra organs would compete with brain development and reproduction. In short, I agree with Doppio Giudici. Because the alternative is that we encounter the sort of bizarre lifeforms that Stanislaw Lem writes about.
Formerly the Free Land of Metroarachnidanopolis.

"He who dares not offend, cannot be honest."-Thomas Paine

Doppio Giudici
Senator

Postby Doppio Giudici » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Doppio Giudici wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/brain-vat/
http://www.iep.utm.edu/brainvat/

THERE ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? Why do people have to be so darn lazy?

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Canada Remnants wrote:Theory is just theory. :p

It's not even a theory. It's an idea...
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Xanixi
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Xanixi » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:26 pm

Xanixi wrote:
???

From a psychological standpoint.

But why do you think that? If you're going to ask us to respect your ideals, give us a logical reason why.

To be honest, there isn't an actual reason that I can fully back up with any full evidence. This is all speculation from me at 10:20 PM. But if current/past religions were influenced by anything, I think the best chance would be that it was a misunderstood contact with Aliens that influenced the idea of another being having unlimited power when, in reality, it was just their technology. We were so new to the technological scale, that the pure presence of this technology made us believe that they were the being that created us. I was even told that these types of things were created because humans didn't have another way to explain the different things that occurred in the world.

But, please, elaborate on how religion makes sense.
Most Astounding Fact
American and Spanish

DesAnges
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 02, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby DesAnges » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:27 pm

Doppio Giudici wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_in_a_vat
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/brain-vat/
http://www.iep.utm.edu/brainvat/

THERE ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? Why do people have to be so darn lazy?

It's not laziness. It's basic debating skill and etiquette.
My name is Kim-Jong Ayatollah, and I'm a big boy. I'm ten and three-quarters. I have high levels of respect for this man. <3<32 NSG, two pages into a debate
@Iseabbv Don't @ me

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General