NATION

PASSWORD

Attraction is Objectification

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:38 am

Lauchlin wrote:Whether or not information is finite is irrelevant.

Only because of the axiom of uncountable choice. However, the finite nature of information guarantees that even monetary measure can be mapped to, though the map may not be injective.

I'm convinced now that you are not being sincere.

Why?
This is why gay marriage will destroy American families.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

Lauchlin
Minister

Founded: Jun 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lauchlin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:38 am

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Lauchlin wrote:Many things are incapable of being translated into binary.

Like what?

Anything that has a state between all and none. You can approximate things with binary, but whether or not that's adequate is up to you, Mr. Absolutist.

No matter how many sides you add to that polygon, you'll never get to a circle.

Only if you insist on stopping with finite cardinals.

Limits going to infinity are not things that are actually achievable. Principle/practice distinction. Learn it.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:41 am

Lauchlin wrote:Anything that has a state between all and none. You can approximate things with binary, but whether or not that's adequate is up to you, Mr. Absolutist.

False. There exist binary representations of all real numbers. This can be proven.

Limits going to infinity are not things that are actually achievable. Principle/practice distinction. Learn it.

They are not achievable in terms of an algorithm, but they do exist in an abstract sense.
This is why gay marriage will destroy American families.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:41 am

Lauchlin wrote:I'm convinced now that you are not being sincere.

Why?

Probably this?

*nods*
I identify as
a problem

Lauchlin
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lauchlin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:43 am

Lauchlin wrote:Whether or not information is finite is irrelevant.

Only because of the axiom of uncountable choice. However, the finite nature of information guarantees that even monetary measure can be mapped to, though the map may not be injective.

Incorrect. The disconnect is that monetary values are based on assumptions (scarcity, etc) that don't apply to many non-material things that nonetheless have value.

I'm convinced now that you are not being sincere.

Why?

Because you're resorting to obscure, barely coherent philosophical dodges in an attempt to avoid actually addressing the issues that people are bringing up. Either you're a fundamentally damaged individual on the verge of a breakdown who can't handle criticism, or you're just enjoying getting people to interact with you like this. I'm being generous and assuming the less derogatory.
Last edited by Lauchlin on Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lauchlin
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lauchlin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:45 am

Lauchlin wrote:Anything that has a state between all and none. You can approximate things with binary, but whether or not that's adequate is up to you, Mr. Absolutist.

False. There exist binary representations of all real numbers. This can be proven.

Real numbers are not what I was talking about.

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:23 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Four-sided Triangles wrote:I rejected offers to be someone's boyfriend. I've had acquaintances, but didn't let them grow into actual friendships.

I'd give my life for your luck.

You know, I can marginally understand this. I had (kind of still have) this kind of Eeyore/emo/martyr/woe is me kind of kick going on. In junior high I was 'put out' that people wanted me to go to a dance and when I did when this hot chick danced with me I lamented that I wasn't working on my model...I wasn't even good at making models...she got appropriately upset and bailed and part of me congratulated myself. Of course, the other part of me regrets that shit to this day. Not because I missed a chance to get laid, that would be a stretch, but because in my self-righteous self-absorption where romantic entanglements were 'beneath' me, I really hurt a girl's feelings who was honestly just trying to be nice to me. What kind of a jackass does that kind of thing?

It was sort of this pervasive feeling that no matter how much counter evidence was presented, somewhere along the line I had convinced myself that it was all bullshit or something and that I was 'above it' and thus congratulated myself on my martyrdom.

I eventually wrote a play about it (an emo bastard wrote a play? Get out! On the plus side, it's a comedy...and was, I guess ironically, pretty popular where it has been produced) when I got older and looked at myself in my early 20s being put out by having people around me, liking me and all that nonsense. I mean, who the fuck complains about having friends and people liking them? Someone with some sort of crappy martyr complex.

Somehow, and this is only crappy self-diagnosis of something I never considered serious enough to consult a professional about, I had gotten it in to my head that sacrifice was the noblest thing that someone could do. But, regular ol' noble sacrifice, that doesn't really come up all that often--and in relationships such as friendship and romantic ones there is this chance to sacrifice as long as you define them all as doomed prospects in one way or another. So now you've created a bullshit scenario where you can have all kinds of noble sacrifices...never mind that it turns you into a complete prat.

I still have it now and then. It fucked off some chances at love, alienated some people who could have been good friends, kept me from pursuing some really good opportunities. Every now and then I still see it, like not considering myself 'invited' to something unless I'm specifically asked more than once and when I'm not invited to something playing it into some sort of 'forever alone' narrative of the 'way of the universe' or some such crap. I used to wear all those as badges of some sort of nobility or maybe Purple Hearts to my Eeyore nature, but in more rational moments I look at them as instances of me being an idiot.

So I can empathize slightly with it all, where I have in fact 'gotten off' as it were on this kind of artificial nobility of denial. I don't necessarily understand it, but then again, never consulted a professional on the subject, I just grew up enough to tell myself when this nonsense rears its head to 'get the fuck over myself' and realize that the best times in my life have been spent with other people.
Last edited by Cannot think of a name on Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Lauchlin
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Lauchlin » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:37 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:
I'd give my life for your luck.

You know, I can marginally understand this. I had (kind of still have) this kind of Eeyore/emo/martyr/woe is me kind of kick going on. In junior high I was 'put out' that people wanted me to go to a dance and when I did when this hot chick danced with me I lamented that I wasn't working on my model...I wasn't even good at making models...she got appropriately upset and bailed and part of me congratulated myself. Of course, the other part of me regrets that shit to this day. Not because I missed a chance to get laid, that would be a stretch, but because in my self-righteous self-absorption where romantic entanglements were 'beneath' me, I really hurt a girl's feelings who was honestly just trying to be nice to me. What kind of a jackass does that kind of thing?

It was sort of this pervasive feeling that no matter how much counter evidence was presented, somewhere along the line I had convinced myself that it was all bullshit or something and that I was 'above it' and thus congratulated myself on my martyrdom.

I eventually wrote a play about it (an emo bastard wrote a play? Get out! On the plus side, it's a comedy...and was, I guess ironically, pretty popular where it has been produced) when I got older and looked at myself in my early 20s being put out by having people around me, liking me and all that nonsense. I mean, who the fuck complains about having friends and people liking them? Someone with some sort of crappy martyr complex.

Somehow, and this is only crappy self-diagnosis of something I never considered serious enough to consult a professional about, I had gotten it in to my head that sacrifice was the noblest thing that someone could do. But, regular ol' noble sacrifice, that doesn't really come up all that often--and in relationships such as friendship and romantic ones there is this chance to sacrifice as long as you define them all as doomed prospects in one way or another. So now you've created a bullshit scenario where you can have all kinds of noble sacrifices...never mind that it turns you into a complete prat.

I still have it now and then. It fucked off some chances at love, alienated some people who could have been good friends, kept me from pursuing some really good opportunities. Every now and then I still see it, like not considering myself 'invited' to something unless I'm specifically asked more than once and when I'm not invited to something playing it into some sort of 'forever alone' narrative of the 'way of the universe' or some such crap. I used to wear all those as badges of some sort of nobility or maybe Purple Hearts to my Eeyore nature, but in more rational moments I look at them as instances of me being an idiot.

So I can empathize slightly with it all, where I have in fact 'gotten off' as it were on this kind of artificial nobility of denial. I don't necessarily understand it, but then again, never consulted a professional on the subject, I just grew up enough to tell myself when this nonsense rears its head to 'get the fuck over myself' and realize that the best times in my life have been spent with other people.

Hear hear.

The Atlantean Menace
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantean Menace » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:14 pm

At last, proof of my ideas. No man should ever be attracted to a female body because it has the effect of objectification.

Why not? Why is it having an effect of objectification a reason not to do it?

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:15 pm

The Atlantean Menace wrote:
At last, proof of my ideas. No man should ever be attracted to a female body because it has the effect of objectification.

Hey, get in line!

*points at the long line of people who asked the same question*
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

The Atlantean Menace
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Atlantean Menace » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:17 pm

Galloism wrote:

Hey, get in line!

Also, this study doesn't really show that men are objectifying the women. The conclusion looks a little more like:

"Women tend to get self-conscious if they feel they're being checked out, whereas men don't give a fuck."

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:18 pm

So many questions unanswered. Oh well... it was nice trying.

Galloism
Khan of Spam

Founded: Aug 20, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Galloism » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:20 pm

Galloism wrote:Hey, get in line!

Also, this study doesn't really show that men are objectifying the women. The conclusion looks a little more like:

"Women tend to get self-conscious if they feel they're being checked out, whereas men don't give a fuck."

Or, perhaps men don't show their self-consciousness in the same way.
Venicilian: wow. Jesus hung around with everyone. boys, girls, rich, poor(mostly), sick, healthy, etc. in fact, i bet he even went up to gay people and tried to heal them so they would be straight.
The Parkus Empire: Being serious on NSG is like wearing a suit to a nude beach.
New Kereptica: Since power is changed energy over time, an increase in power would mean, in this case, an increase in energy. As energy is equivalent to mass and the density of the government is static, the volume of the government must increase.

Simon Cowell of the RR
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Simon Cowell of the RR » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:27 pm

How has this thread outlasted a half dozen abortion ones?
I objectify women every day. It is that pesky biological carrying on the family line thing.
Yes, I might be trolling. No, not like the guy who created the thread about towel heads.
I troll by making even the most outlandish opinions sound reasonable. The question is, am I doing that here?

Geniasis
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 28, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Geniasis » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:35 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
And trying to fit people you disagree with into your own fictional sexist narratives won't magically get rid of their arguments.

You don't actually appear to have had an argument, yet.

The OP made a claim based on a source that didn't support it. It's arguably gone downhill from there.

Quoted because the OP needs to see this.

Nobody is attacking your argument, because you have yet to make one. You're just asserting the same asinine nonsense that you've been for the past ten threads.

Protip: If everyone disagrees with you, that does not automatically make you right. It doesn't automatically make you wrong either, but at the very least it's a sign that you should step back and re-evaluate things.
Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Myrensis wrote:I say turn it into a brothel, that way Muslims and Christians can be offended together.

DaWoad wrote:nah, she only fought because, as everyone knows, the brits can't make a decent purse to save their lives and she had a VERY important shopping trip coming up!

Reichskommissariat ost wrote:Women are as good as men , I dont know why they constantly whine about things.

Euronion wrote:because how dare me ever ever try to demand rights for myself, right men, we should just lie down and let the women trample over us, let them take awa our rights, our right to vote will be next just don't say I didn't warn ou

Kobeanare
Minister

Founded: Nov 02, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kobeanare » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:32 pm

Galloism wrote:

Or, perhaps men don't show their self-consciousness in the same way.

Or, perhaps men would have spoken for five minutes when not being objectified, and three minutes when being objectified, but we don't know because they capped talking time at two minutes.

Super Bwitain
Minister

Founded: Apr 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Super Bwitain » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:46 pm

You infuriate me beyond measure.
Bill Nye is watching: The Coalition Of Steel

Atlantian Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantian Empire » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:53 pm

You hate sex, men, yourself and women's rights. I get it. BTW, there is NOTHING wrong with finding beauty in the human body.
Hating you is just easier....and more fun
Economic: Left/Right: -4.25
Social: Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.05

Vazdania
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Vazdania » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:15 pm

gain, this just proves that woman act diffrently around men who they think are "looking" at them. This does not prove that we are objectifying woman when we are attracted to them.
NSG's Resident Constitutional Executive Monarchist!
We Monarchists Stand With The Morals Of The Past, As We Hatch Impossible Treasons Against The Present.

They Have No Voice; So I will Speak For Them. The Right To Life Is Fundamental To All Humans Regardless Of How Developed They Are. Pro-Woman. Pro-Child. Pro-Life.

NSG's Newest Vegetarian!

Alaje
Minister

Founded: Oct 06, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Alaje » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:35 pm

Four Sided Triangles, either you've got massive mental issues or you're a very annoying troll. Either way.....you need help dude. :meh:
I'm a Flamingo
Likes: Corporatism, Market Socialism, Progressivism, Atheism, Centrism, Kemalism, Dirigisme

Dislikes: Capitalism, Liberalism, Conservatism, Libertarianism, Abortion, Feminism, LGBT

I've been: Communist , Fascist

Economic Left/Right: -7.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.82

Excess of liberty, whether it lies in the state or individuals, seems only to pass into excess of slavery. - Plato

Arkinesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkinesia » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:38 am

Four-sided Triangles wrote:http://scienceblogs.com/notrocketscience/2010/01/how_sexual_objectification_silences_women_-_the_male_glance.php

At last, proof of my ideas. No man should ever be attracted to a female body because it has the effect of objectification. Note, however, that females staring at male bodies does not produce the same effect.

I'm vindicated. All sexual attraction is objectification. You can't get out of it.

I don't-

But-

What the fuck?
Bisexual, atheist, Southerner. Not much older but made much wiser.

Disappointment Panda wrote:Don't hope for a life without problems. There's no such thing. Instead, hope for a life full of good problems.

Meim
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Meim » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:28 am

Michael VII
Minister

Founded: Jun 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Michael VII » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:38 am

FST, did you ever stop to think that it might just be the fact that men want to talk for a hell of a lot longer than women. Especially about themselves? We're men, its what we do. Talky, talky, talky.
My timezone, Southern Winter (Current Time): NZST, UTC +12, Southern Summer: NZDT, UTC +13

NSCF 5 Champions
Qualified for World Cup 62
Hosted World T20 Championships I, Baptism of Iron X, World Bowl 17, World Cup of Hockey XIX, World Bowl 19

Domestic Sportswire

Rumbria
Minister

Founded: Aug 10, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Rumbria » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:04 am

Of course attraction is objectification. It's the fundamental reason that objectification is not always wrong, and the best example of how the term has been mutilated into a buzzword.
So goddamned leet: Rumbria is ranked 6th in the region and 1,337th in the world for Most Godforsaken.
Incomplete National Factbook

Bottle
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bottle » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:24 am

Rumbria wrote:Of course attraction is objectification. It's the fundamental reason that objectification is not always wrong, and the best example of how the term has been mutilated into a buzzword.

Close, but wrong.

The problem is that people (incorrectly) equate sexualization with objectification. This is, incidentally, another way you can tell that the OP of this thread is an anti-feminist troll. He's sniping at the many feminists who have discussed, at length, how objectification is harmful and how sexual relationships between men and women are especially poisoned by it. But he has, like so many others before him, mistakenly read this as an indictment of SEXUALIZATION.

The reality is that lots of objectification doesn't involve sexualization, and lots of sexualization doesn't involve objectification. Attraction doesn't necessarily require objectification; indeed, for many of us, objectification tends to be a bit of a boner-killer. Feminists have been discussing this for decades because, duh, feminists tend to think it would be nice if we could have heterosexual relationships without one or both of the participants being objectified.

If you like the idea of having sex with another person, an actual real person, then none of this should bother you. You should, indeed, be interested in learning more. But if you prefer the Doesn't Matter; Had Sex school of thought, you're probably going to be pissed at all the stupid thinking and talking you'll have to do in order to interact with your sex-receptacle as if it were a real live being.
"Until evolution happens like in pokemon I'll never accept your 'evidence'!" -Ifreann
"Well, excuuuuuuse me, feminist." -Ende

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General