NATION

PASSWORD

Attraction is Objectification

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 134288
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ifreann » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Women are conditioned by society to put up with the embarrassment of being viewed sexually. Men are conditioned to think being viewed sexually is "awesome" because society tells us that we are ready for sex 24/7.


Have you ever actually talked to a woman?

I imagine that he can't, lest he feel attraction.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

User avatar
Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5599
Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:A compliment is a compliment. :D


ITT: Sexual harassment is a compliment.

'Hey, you've actually got a really nice bum' was not harassment or abusive. It was actually a pretty positive thing, because if there's one thing I suffer from it's terrible self-confidence.

User avatar
Aliana
Envoy
 
Posts: 218
Founded: Oct 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aliana » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:A compliment is a compliment. :D


ITT: Sexual harassment is a compliment.

I don't feel that someone saying I have a nice ass is sexual harassment. If he/she continues the behavior or tries to do something, then it becomes sexual harassment.

User avatar
Aliana
Envoy
 
Posts: 218
Founded: Oct 31, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aliana » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:32 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Holy Paradise wrote:Let me ask you this, do you desire friendship with people? Does it bring you joy to make new friends? Isn't that just another kind of attraction? What makes that attraction acceptable, but not sexual attraction.


No, I don't let people get to close to me. I don't like having friends.

You need professional help.

User avatar
Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5537
Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Astrolinium wrote:Have you ever actually talked to a woman?


I even turned down the offer of someone to become her boyfriend. I lied and told her that I'm asexual.
This is why gay marriage will destroy American families.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

User avatar
The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6919
Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:33 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:A compliment is a compliment. :D


ITT: Sexual harassment is a compliment.

:blink: How? How is that harassment if he doesn't feel harassed?

User avatar
Gauthier
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52887
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:34 pm

Man, even Femnipotent would tell this guy to grow a set.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

User avatar
Coccygia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7521
Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Coccygia » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:34 pm

All I can say is :p
"Nobody deserves anything. You get what you get." - House
"Hope is for sissies." - House
“Qokedy qokedy dal qokedy qokedy." - The Voynich Manuscript
"We're not ordinary people - we're morons!" - Jerome Horwitz
"A book, any book, is a sacred object." - Jorge Luis Borges
"I am a survivor. I am like a cockroach, you just can't get rid of me." - Madonna

User avatar
Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5537
Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:34 pm

Unchecked Expansion wrote:'Hey, you've actually got a really nice bum' was not harassment or abusive.


Complimenting someone's ass is pretty universally considered sexual harassment. You can get sued for it.
This is why gay marriage will destroy American families.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

User avatar
Holy Paradise
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1111
Founded: Apr 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Paradise » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:35 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Holy Paradise wrote:Let me ask you this, do you desire friendship with people? Does it bring you joy to make new friends? Isn't that just another kind of attraction? What makes that attraction acceptable, but not sexual attraction.


No, I don't let people get to close to me. I don't like having friends.


You do understand that human beings are by nature social creatures, and as such, your stance is slightly unnatural.

That's not to say that being more of a loner is a bad thing. But, generally, even loners have some people they can find a little bit of a connection with. The only loners that don't tend to be...well...dangerous to society.
Moderate conservative, Roman Catholic

yep

User avatar
The Floridian Coast
Minister
 
Posts: 2979
Founded: Sep 09, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Floridian Coast » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:35 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Astrolinium wrote:Have you ever actually talked to a woman?


I even turned down the offer of someone to become her boyfriend. I lied and told her that I'm asexual.


Why didn't you tell her the truth? Since you're the only man in the universe who actually respects women surely she would have an instant epiphany that you're the only ethical male ever and join you in celibacy and self-flagellation for millions of years of evolutionary instinct.
Philosophy: Epicurean/Marxist Synthesis
Politics: Democratic Socialism, New Left, Progressivism
Supporter of OWS - Registered Democrat - Positive Atheist
"Where were you when they passed us over for the lotteries of birth? Complacency conditioned to suffer. What's the price, what's it worth?" - Strike Anywhere, Detonation

User avatar
Desperate Measures
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10147
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Desperate Measures » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:35 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Holy Paradise wrote:Let me ask you this, do you desire friendship with people? Does it bring you joy to make new friends? Isn't that just another kind of attraction? What makes that attraction acceptable, but not sexual attraction.


No, I don't let people get to close to me. I don't like having friends.

Why should we turn to you for advice on how to be emotionally and psychologically stable?
"My loathings are simple: stupidity, oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."
- Vladimir Nabokov US (1899 - 1977)
Also, me.
“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic”
- Fyodor Dostoyevsky Russian Novelist and Writer, 1821-1881
"All Clock Faces Are Wrong." - Gene Ray, Prophet(?) http://www.timecube.com
A simplified maxim on the subject states "An atheist would say, 'I don't believe God exists'; an agnostic would say, 'I don't know whether or not God exists'; and an ignostic would say, 'I don't know what you mean when you say, "God exists" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ignosticism

User avatar
Chulainan
Diplomat
 
Posts: 846
Founded: Apr 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Chulainan » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:35 pm

Hmm, so your saying that being attracted to someone is sexual harassment.

Therefore I demand that the women of the world sexually harass me.....constantly.
The Net is vast and infinite - Major Makoto Kusanagi
Major Motoko Kusanagi: If we all reacted the same way, we'd be predictable, and there's always more than one way to view a situation. What's true for the group is also true for the individual. It's simple: Overspecialize, and you breed in weakness. It's slow death.
Puppet Master: We have been subordinate to our limitations until now. The time has come to cast aside these bonds and to elevate our consciousness to a higher plane. It is time to become a part of all things.


Agymnum wrote:
The Laughing Goats wrote:Because it's gross. Duh.


I find shitting to be gross.

Shitting is therefore wrong. It should be banned and no one should be allowed to take a shit. Ever.

User avatar
Trotskylvania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17200
Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:36 pm

Hydesland wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:that is proof positive that women are inferior to men


Where on earth did he say that?

you hide your sexism under the puritanical guise of whiteknighting.


Given that UT is a strong atheist, this sounds like you're pigeon holing him and being intellectually lazy.

Treating women like they're porcelain and need protection from the terrible male gaze is still sexism, and it still places women in a place of inferiority. If you can't see this angle coming from FST, then you haven't been paying attention.
Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:You can't say that women are inherently harmed by men looking at them without implying the inherent biological inferiority of women.


Absolute bullshit. Maybe women are harmed in this way because they're more self-conscious and therefore more self-aware and intelligent.

As others have pointed out, you're not saying this. You're saying their emotionally unstable and fragile.

I have to give you partial credit. You're at least trying to be a good person. But as Aristotle noted, vices are often virtues taken to an excess. This is one of those cases. The most demeaning thing in the world is being told that you're fragile and can't be trusted to live your life as you want.

So you say that no men can ever feel attraction to women. But have you ever considered that women might want men to be attracted to them, to feel sexy or empowered?
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism


"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

User avatar
Samuraikoku
Post Czar
 
Posts: 31947
Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:36 pm

Ugh no, not this again... We already had enough trouble with Eve's Daughter's article. :(
Last edited by Samuraikoku on Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Gauthier
Khan of Spam
 
Posts: 52887
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:36 pm

Chulainan wrote:Hmm, so your saying that being attracted to someone is sexual harassment.

Therefore I demand that the women of the world sexually harass me.....constantly.


You're insisting women harass you? You male pig!
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

User avatar
Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5537
Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:36 pm

The Floridian Coast wrote:Why didn't you tell her the truth?


Because I get enough bullshit and enough straw men online.
This is why gay marriage will destroy American families.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

User avatar
Unchecked Expansion
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5599
Founded: May 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unchecked Expansion » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:37 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Unchecked Expansion wrote:'Hey, you've actually got a really nice bum' was not harassment or abusive.


Complimenting someone's ass is pretty universally considered sexual harassment. You can get sued for it.

Only if they don't want it. Coming from someone I knew, whose sexuality I knew, it was a compliment. A random stranger on the street saying 'nice ass, how bout some sex?' is different.

User avatar
The Merchant Republics
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8503
Founded: Oct 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Merchant Republics » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:37 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Conserative Morality wrote:A compliment is a compliment. :D


ITT: Sexual harassment is a compliment.

ITT: "You're attractive" = "I want to rape you" apparently.

If you take a person to court for saying "You look nice today" hell, even "You have a nice butt" as sexual harassment your going to get that case dismissed faster than you can say, take a freaking compliment. Sexual harassment requires more than one repeated and uninvited comment (exceptions of course exist, but I digress), just like a harassment charge can't be filed for a single insult.
Your Resident Gentleman and Libertarian; presently living in the People's Republic of China, which is if anyone from the Party asks "The Best and Also Only China".
Christian Libertarian Autarchist: like an Anarchist but with more "Aut".
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-8.55)
Economic: Left/Right (7.55)
We are the premiere of civilization, the beacon of liberty, the font of prosperity and the ever illuminating light of culture in this hellish universe.
In short: Elitist Wicked Cultured Free Market Anarchists living in a Diesel-Deco World.

Now Fearing: Mandarin Lessons from Cantonese teachers.
Factbook (FT)|Art Gallery|Embassy Program

User avatar
Ifreann
Post Overlord
 
Posts: 134288
Founded: Aug 07, 2005
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ifreann » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:38 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Unchecked Expansion wrote:'Hey, you've actually got a really nice bum' was not harassment or abusive.


Complimenting someone's ass is pretty universally considered sexual harassment. You can get sued for it.

Patently false.
Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Banter For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Snark That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Sarcasm
He/Him

Dangerous this Jack o' Hearts.
With his kiss
the riot
starts

User avatar
Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5537
Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:39 pm

Trotskylvania wrote:As others have pointed out, you're not saying this. You're saying their emotionally unstable and fragile.

I have to give you partial credit. You're at least trying to be a good person. But as Aristotle noted, vices are often virtues taken to an excess. This is one of those cases. The most demeaning thing in the world is being told that you're fragile and can't be trusted to live your life as you want.

So you say that no men can ever feel attraction to women. But have you ever considered that women might want men to be attracted to them, to feel sexy or empowered?


I don't think they're too fragile. I think they've been brainwashed by society into accepting sexual arrangements that they don't really like.

As for men, I think we're too stupid to be trusted with too much political freedom.
This is why gay marriage will destroy American families.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

User avatar
Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 76675
Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Conserative Morality » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:39 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:I don't think they're too fragile. I think they've been brainwashed by society into accepting sexual arrangements that they don't really like.

As for men, I think we're too stupid to be trusted with too much political freedom.

Speak for yourself.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

User avatar
The Murtunian Tribes
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6919
Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The Murtunian Tribes » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:39 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Unchecked Expansion wrote:'Hey, you've actually got a really nice bum' was not harassment or abusive.


Complimenting someone's ass is pretty universally considered sexual harassment. You can get sued for it.

Uhhh...that's not quite how it works. It's only harassment if the "complimentee" feels harassed, in which case he/she files a grievance with human resources who then have a sit down and probably some sort of seminar. If behavior persists, or is just outright inappropriate, offender will lose his/her job. The only way a lawsuit would come about was if the harasser was abusing a position of authority or people were being retaliated against for filing claims.

User avatar
Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser
 
Posts: 88776
Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:39 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Trotskylvania wrote:As others have pointed out, you're not saying this. You're saying their emotionally unstable and fragile.

I have to give you partial credit. You're at least trying to be a good person. But as Aristotle noted, vices are often virtues taken to an excess. This is one of those cases. The most demeaning thing in the world is being told that you're fragile and can't be trusted to live your life as you want.

So you say that no men can ever feel attraction to women. But have you ever considered that women might want men to be attracted to them, to feel sexy or empowered?


I don't think they're too fragile. I think they've been brainwashed by society into accepting sexual arrangements that they don't really like.

As for men, I think we're too stupid to be trusted with too much political freedom.

Speak for yourself.

EDIT: Ninja'd!
Last edited by Nightkill the Emperor on Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

User avatar
Trotskylvania
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 17200
Founded: Jul 07, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Trotskylvania » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
The Floridian Coast wrote:Why didn't you tell her the truth?


Because I get enough bullshit and enough straw men online.

By lying to her, you treated her as an object and a mere means to an end: your own convenience.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Ultra - The Left Wing of the Impossible
Putting the '-sadism' in Posadism


"The hell of capitalism is the firm, not the fact that the firm has a boss."- Bordiga

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fartsniffage, Gallade, Genivaria, Greater vakolicci haven, Heloin, Keklystan, North German Realm, NS Miami, Pilipinas and Malaya, Saiwania, The Emerald Legion, The Huskar Social Union, The New California Republic, Xuloqoia

Advertisement

Remove ads