NATION

PASSWORD

Christianity

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:26 am

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Seperates wrote:And now I finally understand where you come from, and while it makes sense... is pretty much Buddism renamed.

I'm not sure I follow.

You are hijacking the word "Christ", a Greek term used by Gentile followers of Jesus to refer to their conception of who and what Jesus was, to privately define it as your own idea of [whatever, you really haven't been clear], and Seperates is trying to decipher you, and thought Christ-as-defined-by-Bluth means "the Buddha mind" or something like that, which would have made some sense of what you are saying-- but you are stubbornly refusing to convey any information.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:35 am

I'm hijacking nothing--I'm simply correcting their mistake. They were right to seek the Christ, they were right that the Christ it the savior of mankind, they were right that Jesus was a guide to finding it; they simply were wildly wrong about the details (how the Christ saves mankind, what he is, the nature of Jesus's relationship to the Christ).
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

Socialdemokraterne
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialdemokraterne » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:36 am

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Tmutarakhan wrote:Bluth have a private usage of the word "Christianity" for what he considers to be the true original teachings of Jesus,

No, I don't. I'm a Christian, not a Jesusist.

It's about the Christ the ideal, not Jesus the person. Jesus was only an imperfect manifestation of the Christ; some of his teachings were simply un-Christian.

I...wha...huh?!!! Sure, "Christ" is a title, not the man's name, but that title was conferred to Jesus. That's the foundation of the Christian religion, that Jesus was the messiah! I've never even heard of a denomination of Christianity which preaches that Jesus was "un-Christian". Such a thing sounds self-contradicting.
A social democracy following a variant of the Nordic model of the European welfare state composed of a union of Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Greenland, Denmark, Sleswig-Holstein, and a bit of Estonia.

Leder du måske efter en dansk region? Dansk!

Simon Cowell of the RR
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Simon Cowell of the RR » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:38 am

Jesus is the idea and the mortal man.
If you are a Christian, you believe that Jesus was the Christ, ergo practically perfect.
Yes, I might be trolling. No, not like the guy who created the thread about towel heads.
I troll by making even the most outlandish opinions sound reasonable. The question is, am I doing that here?

Aeaea
Bureaucrat

Founded: Nov 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeaea » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:41 am

Simon Cowell of the RR wrote:Jesus is the idea and the mortal man.
If you are a Christian, you believe that Jesus was the Christ, ergo practically perfect.

Hence, "Jesus Christ."
Economic Left/Right: 5.07, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.52

This country does not reflect my actual views.

Simon Cowell of the RR
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Simon Cowell of the RR » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:42 am

Aeaea wrote:
Simon Cowell of the RR wrote:Jesus is the idea and the mortal man.

Hence, "Jesus Christ."

Exactly.
Cheers.
Yes, I might be trolling. No, not like the guy who created the thread about towel heads.
I troll by making even the most outlandish opinions sound reasonable. The question is, am I doing that here?

Des Moines
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Des Moines » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:47 am

The ideology is great Jesus was a good man but was not a son of god he was a normal person. He did not create the religion his followers did. Christianity has caused some bad things in the past like the inquisition, mass murder of native Americans by the Spanish, and hellish tactics of converting American Indians by the U.S. In my mind if it people would stick to the true meaning which is to live and be the same as Jesus there would be none of this.

Estgloria
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Estgloria » Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:53 am

1. I was raised in a Charismatic Church with my mother (who was raised Catholic) and father(who was raised Southern Baptists).

2. I was Christened as a Catholic when I was a baby, but as I said, I was raised charismatic. Now I attend a Southern Baptist Church, because it is the Church of my father's family, and I believe in most of their teachings. However, I also believe in many Catholic teachings as well.
The Commonwealth of Lumara [FT]
The Commonwealth of Lumara/Lumaran Commonwealth
HoS: Chief of State Leesum Anari
Government: Oligarchy; Federal Democracy

The Republic of Estgloria [MT]
The Republic of Estgloria
HoS: President Adara Yerkov
Government: Federal Presidential Republic

Halgrond
Attaché

Founded: Oct 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Halgrond » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:10 am

Bluth Corporation wrote:I'm hijacking nothing--I'm simply correcting their mistake. They were right to seek the Christ, they were right that the Christ it the savior of mankind, they were right that Jesus was a guide to finding it; they simply were wildly wrong about the details (how the Christ saves mankind, what he is, the nature of Jesus's relationship to the Christ).

The word Christ comes from a Greek translation of the word messiah. So when you use the word Christ do you mean messiah?
Also, bonobos.
And also chipmunks.
And also penguins.
Factbook: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=147965
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Do you think there is One True God Particle, or do you think there is a pantheon of god particles out there? And if the latter, do you think the God Particle of Thunder has a tiny little hammer?

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:21 pm

Des Moines wrote:The ideology is great Jesus was a good man but was not a son of god he was a normal person. He did not create the religion his followers did. Christianity has caused some bad things in the past like the inquisition, mass murder of native Americans by the Spanish, and hellish tactics of converting American Indians by the U.S. In my mind if it people would stick to the true meaning which is to live and be the same as Jesus there would be none of this.

Christianity did none of those things. There is no doctrine in the faith requiring an inquisition, genocide, or compulsory conversion. Those are all tactics used by Christians when they pervert the scripture to facilitate their own desires.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:22 pm

Socialdemokraterne wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:No, I don't. I'm a Christian, not a Jesusist.

It's about the Christ the ideal, not Jesus the person. Jesus was only an imperfect manifestation of the Christ; some of his teachings were simply un-Christian.

I...wha...huh?!!! Sure, "Christ" is a title, not the man's name, but that title was conferred to Jesus. That's the foundation of the Christian religion, that Jesus was the messiah! I've never even heard of a denomination of Christianity which preaches that Jesus was "un-Christian". Such a thing sounds self-contradicting.

Bluth does not adhere to a "denomination" of Christianity. He is deriving his approach to Christianity, his actual Christianity, from his own reading of the scripture.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:24 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Socialdemokraterne wrote:

Bluth does not adhere to a "denomination" of Christianity. He is deriving his approach to Christianity, his actual Christianity, from his own reading of the scripture.

You'll get used to it. We all do.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:27 pm

Since we're all posting our opinions on Christianity, I think that it saved the world.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:28 pm

Distruzio wrote:Since we're all posting our opinions on Christianity, I think that it saved the world.

From what?

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:28 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Distruzio wrote:

You'll get used to it. We all do.

Yup. He and I have spoken on the subject a few times. I still haven't quite got the grasp of his ideology, but I know I like it. ;)
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:29 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Distruzio wrote:Since we're all posting our opinions on Christianity, I think that it saved the world.

From what?

Everything.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:30 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Genivaria wrote:From what?

Everything.

Uh no sorry, thats not gonna work. What social ill existed before Christianity that disappeared after Christianity became widespread?

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:32 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Distruzio wrote:Everything.

Uh no sorry, thats not gonna work. What social ill existed before Christianity that disappeared after Christianity became widespread?

It did put a damper on slavery between late antiquity and the Age of Exploration from what I remember from my early Middle Ages class.
Last edited by Milks Empire on Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Benedictus
Envoy

Founded: Nov 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Benedictus » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:34 pm

I am Christian and belong to the denomination of the Baptist church.
Economic Left/Right: -3.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 1.13

http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graphic2/197986_eng.jpg

Volnotova
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Volnotova » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:37 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Genivaria wrote:You'll get used to it. We all do.

Yup. He and I have spoken on the subject a few times. I still haven't quite got the grasp of his ideology, but I know I like it. ;)

I like it for the fact it is anti-Paulist.

Although I am quite unsure about his other stances, for example the idea that in order to be a Christian you have to be an atheist.

That said, he might be referring to the absence of a personal God, for I(from a pantheist point of view) do not see how there can be a Christ(Whoever/whatever he/it was) without there being a God.

;)
A very exclusive and exceptional ice crystal.

A surrealistic alien entity stretched thin across the many membranes of the multiverse.
The Land Fomerly Known as Ligerplace wrote:You are the most lawful neutral person I have ever witnessed.

Polruan wrote:It's like Humphrey Applebee wrote a chapter of the Talmud in here.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:39 pm

Milks Empire wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Uh no sorry, thats not gonna work. What social ill existed before Christianity that disappeared after Christianity became widespread?

It did put a damper on slavery between late antiquity and the Age of Exploration from what I remember from my early Middle Ages class.

Put a damper? How?
And are you sure that slavery becoming unpopular didn't have more to do with the Enlightenment?
Christianity had been around since the late Roman Empire and yet it was several centuries before governments started actively opposing slavery.
The only real problem that the RCC had with slavery was the ownership of Christians by non-Christians.

Slavery in early medieval Europe was so common that the Roman Catholic Church repeatedly prohibited it — or at least the export of Christian slaves to non-Christian lands was prohibited at e.g. the Council of Koblenz (922), the Council of London (1102), and the Council of Armagh (1171).[39]
In 1452, Pope Nicholas V issued the papal bull Dum Diversas, granting Afonso V of Portugal the right to reduce any "Saracens, pagans and any other unbelievers" to hereditary slavery which legitimized the slave trade, at least as a result of war.[40]
The approval of slavery under these conditions was reaffirmed and extended in his Romanus Pontifex bull of 1455.
However, Pope Paul III forbade enslavement of the native Americans in 1537 in his papal bull Sublimus Dei.[41]
Dominican friars who arrived at the Spanish settlement at Santo Domingo strongly denounced the enslavement of the local native Americans.
Along with other priests, they opposed their treatment as unjust and illegal in an audience with the Spanish king and in the subsequent royal commission.[42]
-Wikipedia
So individual Christians had differing views on slavery, you most certainly can't say that Christianity CAUSED the end of slavery because thats blatantly untrue.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:41 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Distruzio wrote:
Everything.

No social ill disappeared. Christianity isn't monolithic. It certainly limited the effects of certain social ills where it prospered.
Christ is King
Glorify Him

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:42 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Genivaria wrote:Uh no sorry, thats not gonna work. What social ill existed before Christianity that disappeared after Christianity became widespread?

No social ill disappeared. Christianity isn't monolithic. It certainly limited the effects of certain social ills where it prospered.

In some places yes, and worsened them in others. Many people would have used the bible as justification for slavery.
I don't doubt for a second that the Southern Rebels did.
Last edited by Genivaria on Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:43 pm

Genivaria wrote:
Distruzio wrote:

In some places yes, and worsened them in others.

Like where? In what capacity?
Christ is King
Glorify Him

The Anti-Cosmic Gods
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anti-Cosmic Gods » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:45 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Genivaria wrote:In some places yes, and worsened them in others.

Like where? In what capacity?

Religious persecution in the Americas.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General