NATION

PASSWORD

Christianity

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:14 am

Armand2REP wrote:The goal of the Church in the New World was to convert, not to genocide. Hitler had no intention of changing Jews except turning them into ashes = genocide.

Then why was the genocide committed?
Last edited by Samuraikoku on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Armand2REP
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 23, 2011
Corporate Bordello

Postby Armand2REP » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:29 am

Samuraikoku wrote:Then why was the genocide committed?

It wasn't genocide, the Church didn't have any intention of wiping out a race of people. The goal was conversion and the outcome was brutal subjigation. It is one thing to destroy a people = genocide and another to change them = conversion/colonisation. People die either way.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:35 am

Armand2REP wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:Then why was the genocide committed?

It wasn't genocide, the Church didn't have any intention of wiping out a race of people. The goal was conversion and the outcome was brutal subjigation. It is one thing to destroy a people = genocide and another to change them = conversion/colonisation. People die either way.

Intent is different from motive. Whatever may be the motive for the crime (land expropriation, national security, territorrial integrity, etc.), if the perpetrators commit acts intended to destroy a group, even part of a group, it is genocide.

Source: http://www.preventgenocide.org/genocide/officialtext.htm

Is the act of a massive killing of people intended to destroy them? Sounds like it is.
Last edited by Samuraikoku on Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Oterro
Post Marshal

Founded: May 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oterro » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:51 am

How on earth were the crusades genocide? Really?

Because lots of X ethnicity died it's genocide?

Nothing to do with the fact that the nigh on entirety of the Muslim kingdom's armies were of X ethnicity, right?

No of course the european nations were attempting to wipe out the Arabs.

pft.
we, unlike the bourgeoisie, have nothing to lose and therefore our expression will be the only honest one, our words will be the only challenging ones and our art will be the one revolutionary expression. We need new noise and new voices and new canvases to become something more than the last poets of a useless generation.

Armand2REP
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jun 23, 2011
Corporate Bordello

Postby Armand2REP » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:57 am

Samuraikoku wrote:Is the act of a massive killing of people intended to destroy them? Sounds like it is.

Is the act of killing people in order to submit genocide... no. Is the act of killing a group of people in order for them to cease to exist genocide... yes. The Crusades were a long series of wars to get people to submit to rule. There isn't much point in ruling a land without people on it. The mass extinction of Native Americans was not in the interests of the Church, in fact they called it a travesty. They wanted them to submit. What the Turks and Stalin did by forcfully moving entire enthnicities far from their lands and letting them die is genocide because they wanted their destruction. What Hitler did was the most clear cut case of it by simplying destroying everything. Neither of them is right, but get the usage of the word correct.

The Former Duchy of Lancaster
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Former Duchy of Lancaster » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:59 am

Honestly, I'm not a fan of any religion but people should be allowed to hold onto whatever beliefs give them comfort in this frankly, short, painful and confusing life. People can put their faith into whatever they like in the end, whether it's in science, god, or the flying spaghetti monster, it makes no odds to me.

My issue comes in when religion starts demanding that GOVERNMENTS force people to stick by that religions rules. When they start shoving their belief and religion down my throat and telling me that (edit*) they are right and I am wrong THAT bothers me. Religion is a personal thing, nobody has any right to shove it upon another, and nobody certainly has any right to demand that a government conform to that religion. So long as religion and the state remains separated however, and I still have the right to tell those missionaries who bug me in the street/bang on my door to bugger off? Christianity doesn't bother me no.
Last edited by The Former Duchy of Lancaster on Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
((OOC. My nations politics do NOT reflect my own, just as a note.))

Free foundation
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Free foundation » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:02 am

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:
Erinkita wrote:I don't quite get it either, but supposedly God exists in three aspects simultaneously. All one being, but different versions or summat.
The Holy Ghost (it was called the Holy Spirit when explained to me) is the living will of God that is active in the world and inside everyone. It allows people to be inspired to believe and to interpret the scriptures.

More or less. Hindu monotheism is similar to this, so I can understand it.

which means u don't hv ne knowledge of hinduism.

Avenio
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Avenio » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:03 am

Samuraikoku wrote:Was it, or was it not genocide anyway?

Technically speaking, from my experience, it wasn't. Genocide has a rather specific legal definition that came about from the United Nations after World War II; unfortunately, in common usage, it has moved beyond those legal definitions. One term that I've heard used in cases like this that is more accurate is democide, defined by its creator as "The murder of any person or people by a government, including genocide, politicide, and mass murder". The set of conditions in the crusader states fits the definition of democide, to my knowlege, but does not fit the term genocide.

Free foundation
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Free foundation » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:07 am

Armand2REP wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:Is the act of a massive killing of people intended to destroy them? Sounds like it is.

Is the act of killing people in order to submit genocide... no. Is the act of killing a group of people in order for them to cease to exist genocide... yes. The Crusades were a long series of wars to get people to submit to rule. There isn't much point in ruling a land without people on it. The mass extinction of Native Americans was not in the interests of the Church, in fact they called it a travesty. They wanted them to submit. What the Turks and Stalin did by forcfully moving entire enthnicities far from their lands and letting them die is genocide because they wanted their destruction. What Hitler did was the most clear cut case of it by simplying destroying everything. Neither of them is right, but get the usage of the word correct.

does it matter whether we can call it genocide or not. so many ppl were killed because of it. it was a murderous act and it showed the true nature of Christianity.

Halgrond
Attaché

Founded: Oct 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Halgrond » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:51 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Halgrond wrote:Why?

Not very many rituals? Singing? A sermon that isn't really a sermon? Ridiculous! That's not a church, it's an after-school club. Burn them all!

It is a sermon but we don't call it that.
Also, bonobos.
And also chipmunks.
And also penguins.
Factbook: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=147965
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Do you think there is One True God Particle, or do you think there is a pantheon of god particles out there? And if the latter, do you think the God Particle of Thunder has a tiny little hammer?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:31 pm

Halgrond wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Not very many rituals? Singing? A sermon that isn't really a sermon? Ridiculous! That's not a church, it's an after-school club. Burn them all!

It is a sermon but we don't call it that.

I'm sure it's all very nice. I was just kidding, you know, but some people seem to be of a more literal mind than I.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Socialdemokraterne
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialdemokraterne » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:06 am

Free foundation wrote:does it matter whether we can call it genocide or not. so many ppl were killed because of it. it was a murderous act and it showed the true nature of Christianity.

You had me up until that point, then you took just one step too far. The Catholics' war for the holy land was as much a demonstration of Christianity's nature as inherently violent and cruel as the fall of the Weimar Republic was a demonstration that liberal democracy is inherently corrupt and doomed to fail. There are too many cleavages in Christianity to make substantive catch-all statements about the religion beyond the groups' acceptance of monotheism, acceptance of Christ as the messiah, and acceptance of Christ's sacrifice as a redemptive force for humanity's sins. Beyond these things there is no "true nature of Christianity".

Trying to call Catholics the same as Protestants is madness, because Protestants have no central authority figure beyond God itself. Trying to say that Annihilationists view God and God's will in the same way as Universalists is babbling nonsense, because the former contends that sinners will be deleted from existence while the latter contends they will eventually attain salvation and enter paradise. That has a big impact on how you approach non-believers. Then you have to account for the fact that Liberal Christians don't always take the Bible as the inerrant word of God, but rather as the translation of ancient men's understanding of God's will as best they could explain it.

You'd be much better served to argue that the Crusades were an illustration of how religion can be manipulated for the sake of gaining power and wealth. Now that is something that everyone in Christianity has seen someone doing, manipulating our religion for power and wealth. Am I going to deny the existence of Christian sects that embrace violent rhetoric and proclaim their divine right to rule the Earth? Nope, they exist. My objection is to your saying that all Christians are like that, which is what you do when you say that the Crusades demonstrated the "true nature of Christianity".
Last edited by Socialdemokraterne on Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
A social democracy following a variant of the Nordic model of the European welfare state composed of a union of Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Greenland, Denmark, Sleswig-Holstein, and a bit of Estonia.

Leder du måske efter en dansk region? Dansk!

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:38 pm

Socialdemokraterne wrote:There are too many cleavages in Christianity to make substantive catch-all statements about the religion beyond the groups' acceptance of monotheism, acceptance of Christ as the messiah, and acceptance of Christ's sacrifice as a redemptive force for humanity's sins.

I would question even that.
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

Disserbia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Disserbia » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:06 pm

Bottle wrote:
Armand2REP wrote:The worst thing in the name of Christianity people complain about are the crusades which is actually a relatively light death toll compared to so many other conflicts. It has brought tremendous good to the world and it has helped modernise it as well. It is the most adaptive of the major religions which is why it is #1.

Protip: arguing that genocide "brought tremendous good to the world" is not a strong argument unless you are enjoying dinner conversation with the reanimated head of Josef Stalin.

Protip: you should know the definition of genocide before you accuse people of committing it. :eyebrow:

Now to answer the question at hand. I am Christian but I think religion should be a private thing and should not interfere with politics at all or society or the way you treat others who are not of the same faith as you. This doesn't go well with my denomination (East Orthodox) because it is an antiquated overly-political crock of shite that is incredibly prejudiced against everyone in every possible way.
You can't spell scat fetish without catfish.
Mollary wrote:Hate and alcohol can unite most people.

Souriya Al-Assad wrote:One does not simply Mossad The Assad.

New Maldorainia wrote:Dissy likes touching my walruses.

The Blaatschapen wrote:Remember, birthdays are good for you. The more you have, the longer you'll live.
Funniest shit on this shite
fakbuk and other random shit
PC:
Economic Left/Right: 3.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.00
PS:
Right: 1.45
Libertarian: 6.22
Non-interventionist: 5.82
Cultural liberal: 2.23
PT:
democratic National Liberal
In a more sane world I'd be a moderate Republican.

Simon Cowell of the RR
Minister

Founded: May 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Simon Cowell of the RR » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:10 pm

The Holocaust was genocide.
The killing of a large group of people of a particular ethnicity.
Back to Christianity, I think that the government should keep the heck out of Dodge. Authority influencing anything faith based shall end badly.
Yes, I might be trolling. No, not like the guy who created the thread about towel heads.
I troll by making even the most outlandish opinions sound reasonable. The question is, am I doing that here?

Holy Paradise
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 04, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Paradise » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:14 pm

I'm a devout Catholic, so I like Christianity of course. There have been people that have used the faith to commit terrible atrocities, yes, and for that there is no rebuttal from me, but religion also can do a lot of good, considering all the religious charities out there.
Moderate conservative, Roman Catholic

yep

Socialdemokraterne
Minister

Founded: Dec 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Socialdemokraterne » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:09 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Socialdemokraterne wrote:There are too many cleavages in Christianity to make substantive catch-all statements about the religion beyond the groups' acceptance of monotheism, acceptance of Christ as the messiah, and acceptance of Christ's sacrifice as a redemptive force for humanity's sins.

I would question even that.

Two out of those three are entirely inseparable from the doctrine of Christianity (Christ's status as messiah and the redemptive force of his sacrifice). Without those, Christ's relevance is entirely degraded and Christianity falls apart. Monotheism has a teeny bit of wiggle room, but only if you consider the three manifestations of God (Holy Spirit, Son, and Father) to be separate entities. You just can't strip those three qualities away and have anything left that could be called Christianity. Or if you can, I'd need to have how explained to me.
A social democracy following a variant of the Nordic model of the European welfare state composed of a union of Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Greenland, Denmark, Sleswig-Holstein, and a bit of Estonia.

Leder du måske efter en dansk region? Dansk!

Tmutarakhan
Powerbroker

Founded: Dec 06, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Tmutarakhan » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:25 pm

Socialdemokraterne wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:I would question even that.

Two out of those three are entirely inseparable from the doctrine of Christianity (Christ's status as messiah and the redemptive force of his sacrifice). Without those, Christ's relevance is entirely degraded and Christianity falls apart. Monotheism has a teeny bit of wiggle room, but only if you consider the three manifestations of God (Holy Spirit, Son, and Father) to be separate entities. You just can't strip those three qualities away and have anything left that could be called Christianity. Or if you can, I'd need to have how explained to me.

Bluth have a private usage of the word "Christianity" for what he considers to be the true original teachings of Jesus, which he does not believe to have resembled much the teachings of Gentile Greek-speaking converts like Paul, and the theologies of the various Catholic/Orthodox/Protestant churches that have stemmed from that heritage. Others have expressed to him how irritating it is for him to use a word in a way that will not be generally be understood; I have also pointed out to him that the word "Christian" itself was coined in Antioch to refer to the Gentile Greek-speaking converts, and that some Hebrew/Aramaic term like "Nazorean" or whatever would be more appropriate if he wants a separate term for the original Jewish following of Jesus.
Life is a tragedy to those who feel, a comedy to those who think, and a musical to those who sing.

I am the very model of a Nation States General,
I am a holy terror to apologists Confederal,
When called upon to source a line, I give citations textual,
And argue about Palestine, and marriage homosexual!

A KNIGHT ON KARINZISTAN'S SPECIAL LIST OF POOPHEADS!

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:45 pm

Tmutarakhan wrote:

Bluth have a private usage of the word "Christianity" for what he considers to be the true original teachings of Jesus,

No, I don't. I'm a Christian, not a Jesusist.

It's about the Christ the ideal, not Jesus the person. Jesus was only an imperfect manifestation of the Christ; some of his teachings were simply un-Christian.
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:48 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:I would question even that.

Two out of those three are entirely inseparable from the doctrine of Christianity (Christ's status as messiah and the redemptive force of his sacrifice). Without those, Christ's relevance is entirely degraded and Christianity falls apart.

Not true. The Christ is our savior because by living like the Christ and following the Christ's teachings about how to live with one another we can avoid destroying ourselves. Ideas of atonement, divine redemption, etc., play no part in it.

Monotheism has a teeny bit of wiggle room, but only if you consider the three manifestations of God (Holy Spirit, Son, and Father) to be separate entities.

That assumes there's any place for a god of any sort in Christianity at all. There isn't.

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:00 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:
Tmutarakhan wrote:Bluth have a private usage of the word "Christianity" for what he considers to be the true original teachings of Jesus,

No, I don't. I'm a Christian, not a Jesusist.

It's about the Christ the ideal, not Jesus the person. Jesus was only an imperfect manifestation of the Christ; some of his teachings were simply un-Christian.

And now I finally understand where you come from, and while it makes sense... is pretty much Buddism renamed.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:34 pm

Seperates wrote:
Bluth Corporation wrote:No, I don't. I'm a Christian, not a Jesusist.

And now I finally understand where you come from, and while it makes sense... is pretty much Buddism renamed.

I'm not sure I follow.

Odins Scandinavia
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Odins Scandinavia » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:38 pm

"Christianity was created by some decadent and degenerated Romans as a tool of oppression, in the late Roman era, and it should be treated accordingly. It is like handcuffs to the mind and spirit and is nothing but destructive to mankind. In fact I don't really see Christianity as a religion. It is more like a spiritual plague, a mass psychosis, and it should first and foremost be treated as a problem to be solved by the medical science. Christianity is a diagnosis. It's like Islam and the other Asian religions, a HIV/AIDS of the spirit and mind." -Varg Vikernes
In the darkness a sound of a horn can be heard in the distance.
Then silence....thundering sound approaches. It begins to rumble the earth and the sky as it draws near. Soon the air above you becomes heavy from the large blasts of wind. The stale air of death consumes you mouth. Then a hand graps your arm and a sudden yank. Your eyes adjust to burst of light. The angelic voice says " ODIN chooses you to live again in Valhalla and to become one of his army ..... EINHERJAR

Modern Medicine is stopping stupid people from culling themselves from the Gene pool [/sad]

Kirrig
Minister

Founded: Sep 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kirrig » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:39 pm

I think Christianity has caused more trouble than it should have. That is not to say it has not accomplished any good, it is merely to say I think Christianity has caused more trouble than it should have
Daistallia 2104 wrote:Kirrig, since you seem to be unable to take hints, allow me make it explicitly clear - you are being ignored.

"Have you ever noticed... our caps... they have skulls on them..."
"Hans... are we the baddies?"
Milks Empire wrote:
Kirrig wrote:Do you guys know if George Bush is on NSG?
Wouldn't surprise me.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:21 am

Odins Scandinavia wrote:"Christianity was created by some decadent and degenerated Romans as a tool of oppression, in the late Roman era, and it should be treated accordingly. It is like handcuffs to the mind and spirit and is nothing but destructive to mankind. In fact I don't really see Christianity as a religion. It is more like a spiritual plague, a mass psychosis, and it should first and foremost be treated as a problem to be solved by the medical science. Christianity is a diagnosis. It's like Islam and the other Asian religions, a HIV/AIDS of the spirit and mind." -Varg Vikernes

That's a bit much, I must say. And he's quite wrong about the origins of the religion.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General