NATION

PASSWORD

Christianity

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:35 am

Farnhamia wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
he DID.

i looked it up to make sure it was peter he was talking to and it turns out that he said it twice. in matthew he was talking to peter, which gives us the more common usage of saying that to people who are tempting us to something we really ought not do, and in luke he said it to satan at the end of his journey in the desert.

Tsk. Matthew and Luke obviously did not have the same editor.

yeah usually they use the same or similar phrases in the same story. quote drift to different stories is much more rare.
whatever

Gamhound
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Gamhound » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:45 am

I you just hate athiests that are openly against christianity they're so rude
Flag made by Southern Babylonia

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:47 am

Gamhound wrote:I you just hate athiests that are openly against christianity they're so rude

hm?
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Copenhagen Metropolis
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 29, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Copenhagen Metropolis » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:58 am

OP's flag is funny. Ironic, but funny.

And for Christianity; as with all other religions, I'd rather be without. Not that it's a huge problem in Denmark though. As far as I'm aware of I only (personally) know one Christian. But on a more global scale, I still think the world would be a better place without religion.

Vorond
Minister

Founded: Feb 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vorond » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:01 am

Gamhound wrote:I you just hate athiests that are openly against christianity they're so rude

This may be redundant, but before you insult something you should perhaps learn to spell it first.
Factbook
Diplomacy

“If a man isn't willing to take some risk for his opinions, either his opinions are no good or he's no good”
― Ezra Pound

The old wisdom of 4chan holdfs very true in almost every NSG thread.

Ragnarsdomr
Minister

Founded: Sep 06, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ragnarsdomr » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:10 am

Vorond wrote:

This may be redundant, but before you insult something you should perhaps learn to spell it first.

No, 'I' and 'you' hate the athiest of the atheists. The ones that are so rude that they're openly against Christianity. Don't you know those types?
Economic Left/Right: 0.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.82

Conservative Morality wrote:By accepting yourself and who you are. Accept violence. Accept aggression. Accept dominance. Not as a man, but as a human. Accept conflict, and find a place for it in life. Neither deny nor revel in it. Revel in one thing and one thing only: humanity. What higher goal is there, after all? Embrace who you are, what you are, and what you can be. Throw off the shackles of shame, refuse self-loathing, refuse misandry, refuse misogyny, refuse misanthropy, instead, love what you are. Love mankind, love man and woman, and love yourself.

Vorond
Minister

Founded: Feb 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vorond » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:23 am

Ragnarsdomr wrote:
Vorond wrote:

No, 'I' and 'you' hate the athiest of the atheists. The ones that are so rude that they're openly against Christianity. Don't you know those types?

I find a few things I dislike in christianity (and all major religions for that matter) myself, but I fail to see how that fact automatically implies that I am rude. I dislike any kind of dogmatism, be it pro- or contra- the god-hypothesis. So far the contras have a multitude of evidence, but I personally simple do not care for the answer. What I really dislike is people proselytizing me, regardless of their specific persuasion. An atheist trying to get me away from my agnostoc stance is just as annoying as a reborn christian trying the same.
Factbook
Diplomacy

“If a man isn't willing to take some risk for his opinions, either his opinions are no good or he's no good”
― Ezra Pound

The old wisdom of 4chan holdfs very true in almost every NSG thread.

Bluth Corporation
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 15, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Bluth Corporation » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:26 am

Copenhagen Metropolis wrote:OP's flag is funny. Ironic, but funny.

Not sure why. What do you think they were doing in the Book of Acts?

How about the Harmonists, Tolstoyans, Hutterites, Shakers, Levellers, the Munster Anabaptists, or the Mormon Law of Consecration?
The Huge Mistake of Bluth Corporation
Capital: Newport Beach, Shostakovich | Starting Quarterback: Peyton Manning #18 | Company President: Michael Bluth

Champions of: World Bowl X

You should really be using Slackware

Orihime
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Orihime » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:59 am

I see it as my old religion, and I usually have neglect and disdain for my old beliefs.

Meridiani Planum
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2006
Capitalizt

Postby Meridiani Planum » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:05 am

Nornalhorst wrote:Nation States what is your opinion on Christianity? (no crazy flame wars please)

It's a mixed bag, neither wonderful nor terrible. I'm mainly disappointed by the way that the Bible demonizes atheists, and how much it can interfere with scientific thought.
I shall choose friends among men, but neither slaves nor masters.
- Ayn Rand

Distruzio
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Feb 28, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Distruzio » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:58 am

Ashmoria wrote:when jesus says to peter "get thee behind me satan" he must have had some idea in mind as to exactly what satan was. when he wandered in the desert and was tempted by satan there must have been some traditional idea of satan that underlay the story that readers would understand who this satan guy was.

Why aren't more of those cynical towards Christianity as observant as you, Ash? Yes, there was a specific manner in which Christ was referring to Satan when he responded to Peter. In that context Satan is the conformist, the modernist, the self-righteous - each a term appropriately used to describe those Jews that Christ criticized and none of whom were willing to suffer for the Faith. Peter, who implored Christ to flee, lest he suffer, was seeking the easy way out of the coming events. Satan had, momentarily, gripped his mind and turned him against Christ. Peter allowed his will to come before his consideration for Gods will. Gods will, in this event, was that Christ should suffer if necessary for the Faith. It was necessary, but it was not (I personally think) a forgone conclusion.
Eastern Orthodox Christian
Christ is King
Glorify Him

capitalism is not natural
secularism is not neutral
liberalism is not tolerant

Norstal
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:02 pm

Your grammar assaults my eyes. It is therefore you who are rude.
Toronto Sun wrote:Best poster ever. ★★★★★

New York Times wrote:No one can beat him in debates. 5/5.

IGN wrote:Literally the best game I've ever played. 10/10

NSG Public wrote:What a fucking douchebag.

Supreme Chairman for Life of the Itty Bitty Kitty Committee

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:06 pm

Nornalhorst wrote:Christianity (from the Ancient Greek word Χριστός, Khristos, "Christ", literally "anointed one") is a monotheistic religion and the most widely followed religion on Earth (accounting for about 1/3 of the human population) based on the life and teachings of Jesus as presented in canonical gospels and other New Testament writings. Christianity teaches that Jesus is the Son of God, God having become human and the saviour of humanity.

Nation States what is your opinion on Christianity? (no crazy flame wars please)

I treat it like any other fictional story that has ever came out from the human mind.

Fellow Christians how did you discover Christianity? Also what particular Church or denomination are you a part of, and what are some of your individual beliefs?

I might be atheist, but apparently I'm still Catholic by technicality. I really need to get myself excommunicated. :(

I'm surprised at the number of Christians who were brought up in the religion as a child. This is not good as it implies religious indoctrination, as these people are forced to be Christians.
Last edited by Norstal on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Blazed Imperials
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Blazed Imperials » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:14 pm

Christianity is great and I was bought up in a athiestic-agnostic family. It is great that I have found it and I know that God is real and guides me. I don't care what anyone thinks I beleive it goes into the scientific agenda. When I grow older I would like to attend a orthodox church and teach myself more about Jesus Christ and understand the scripture more.

Vecherd
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Vecherd » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:16 pm

I would prefer if the religion of Christianity never came to Europe, ruining the European culture and replacing the Norse Individualist idea with Collectivist Christianity. Not much to do with that now sadly, any person opposing Islam is a fool not to opposing Christianity too as Christianity did the exact same thing they claim Islam is doing now. So I am basically against Christian Imperialism and Christianity outside the Middle East. But I have nothing against the modern Christians.
[align=center]Frie markeder Frie folk
[spoiler=Political Stuff]Left/Right: 8.12
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -10.00

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004

Postby Ashmoria » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:20 pm

Distruzio wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:when jesus says to peter "get thee behind me satan" he must have had some idea in mind as to exactly what satan was. when he wandered in the desert and was tempted by satan there must have been some traditional idea of satan that underlay the story that readers would understand who this satan guy was.

Why aren't more of those cynical towards Christianity as observant as you, Ash? Yes, there was a specific manner in which Christ was referring to Satan when he responded to Peter. In that context Satan is the conformist, the modernist, the self-righteous - each a term appropriately used to describe those Jews that Christ criticized and none of whom were willing to suffer for the Faith. Peter, who implored Christ to flee, lest he suffer, was seeking the easy way out of the coming events. Satan had, momentarily, gripped his mind and turned him against Christ. Peter allowed his will to come before his consideration for Gods will. Gods will, in this event, was that Christ should suffer if necessary for the Faith. It was necessary, but it was not (I personally think) a forgone conclusion.

its a very ... relatable...moment. his best friend suggests to him to take the easy way out as if he really were satan back in the desert with jesus.

we all have those moments where we have to resist our friends bad suggestions.

but there isnt all that much in the bible about satan. the NT seems to have a very strong concept of this character but it doesnt come from the OT. satan is barely in the OT. where did this idea of satan as a personal tempter come from?
whatever

Norstal
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Norstal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:25 pm

The Blazed Imperials wrote:Christianity is great and I was bought up in a athiestic-agnostic family. It is great that I have found it and I know that God is real and guides me. I don't care what anyone thinks I beleive it goes into the scientific agenda. When I grow older I would like to attend a orthodox church and teach myself more about Jesus Christ and understand the scripture more.

Scientific agenda?

You dun goofed. What's the scientific agenda?

Halgrond
Attaché

Founded: Oct 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Halgrond » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:50 pm

I have been raised in a christian family, and we go to a church called Reformation Fellowship. It is a unique church that doesn't really fall into any denomination. We do not have very many rituals there. We just just sing, have announcements and then a "sermon" which we don't really call a sermon.
Also, bonobos.
And also chipmunks.
And also penguins.
Factbook: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=147965
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Do you think there is One True God Particle, or do you think there is a pantheon of god particles out there? And if the latter, do you think the God Particle of Thunder has a tiny little hammer?

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:05 pm

Halgrond wrote:I have been raised in a christian family, and we go to a church called Reformation Fellowship. It is a unique church that doesn't really fall into any denomination. We do not have very many rituals there. We just just sing, have announcements and then a "sermon" which we don't really call a sermon.

Sounds like heresy to me.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:15 pm

My mother - on my grandma's request, she is devout - got my brother and I to take communion in the Catholic church (I was 8 and he was 7, we didn't know any better nor did we care). After that, everyone in my family simply turned to atheism (except for my mom, who is a non-practicant Catholic). So technically I'm a renegade heretic.
Last edited by Samuraikoku on Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:22 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:My mother - on my grandma's request, she is devout - got my brother and I to take communion in the Catholic church (I was 8 and he was 7, we didn't know any better nor did we care). After that, everyone in my family simply turned to atheism (except for my mom, who is a non-practicant Catholic). So technically I'm a renegade heretic.

No, technically you're an atheist. A heretic is someone who still believes but believes differently than the mainstream, approved doctrine.
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz

Samuraikoku
Post Czar

Founded: May 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samuraikoku » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:23 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Samuraikoku wrote:My mother - on my grandma's request, she is devout - got my brother and I to take communion in the Catholic church (I was 8 and he was 7, we didn't know any better nor did we care). After that, everyone in my family simply turned to atheism (except for my mom, who is a non-practicant Catholic). So technically I'm a renegade heretic.

No, technically you're an atheist. A heretic is someone who still believes but believes differently than the mainstream, approved doctrine.

The fundamentalist believers would still hate me anyway. :P

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:32 pm

Samuraikoku wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:No, technically you're an atheist. A heretic is someone who still believes but believes differently than the mainstream, approved doctrine.

The fundamentalist believers would still hate me anyway. :P

Ni que decir.

Sunny Marionette
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Sunny Marionette » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:36 pm

Christianity is a religion that, like all religion, can be used for more harm than good. I believe that it's intentions are good, but that the teachings of Christianity in general do not significantly improve the world (especially since the main thing Christians are supposed to do is convert others to their belief system). While I don't believe all Christians are bad people, because of personal experience I will say that I think the majority have the tendency to teabag others with their belief systems, and that friendly discussions on religion can turn into a "fire and brimstone" form of harassment.
Formerly known as WWIIHG
Add 2357 to post count and three years to the age.
Religion: Zen Buddhist
Political Affiliation: None
Political Beliefs:Liberal most of the time

Nightkill the Emperor wrote:One time in India, I managed to draw an elaborate battle scene in the sand with my piss. Granted, my friends aided me in this matter, but we finished with Darth Vader force choking a random Jedi. It was one of the greatest achievements of our lives.

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Postby Farnhamia » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:41 pm

Sunny Marionette wrote:Christianity is a religion that, like all religion, can be used for more harm than good. I believe that it's intentions are good, but that the teachings of Christianity in general do not significantly improve the world (especially since the main thing Christians are supposed to do is convert others to their belief system). While I don't believe all Christians are bad people, because of personal experience I will say that I think the majority have the tendency to teabag others with their belief systems, and that friendly discussions on religion can turn into a "fire and brimstone" form of harassment.

You don't think that loving others, treating them well - as you would yourself be treated - are good? I wonder what you think Christians are taught to believe. As for converting others, no, that's not the main thing Christians are supposed to do. The main thing is worshiping Jesus and God and following the rules for living laid down by them.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General