NATION

PASSWORD

Oppose the Unification of Europe?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you want a European Federation?

Yes
46%
No
45%
Maybe - Debate
10%

Total votes : 112

North Suran
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby North Suran » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:50 am

Dzvasdvsdv wrote:
The RSU wrote:Yelling in full caps "HE'S NOT YOUR FUCKING ERRAND BOY!!!!" seems more indicative of flaming than sarcasm.

You can't throw your hands up and blame the public for your own failure.

Read the thread again. He had already said he wasn't CtP's errand boy. When CtP (Or was it North Suran) asked for a source again, I merely made a joke. It's not my fault NSG is full of humourless pedantic shitheads.

Of course, when your joke falls flat, it's not because it was poorly executed or entirely unrelated to the argument: it's because NSG is full of "humourless pedantic shitheads".

Ever heard of the phrase "A bad workman blames his tools"?
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

Dzvasdvsdv
Envoy

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dzvasdvsdv » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:52 am

North Suran wrote:Of course, when your joke falls flat, it's not because it was poorly executed or entirely unrelated to the argument: it's because NSG is full of "humourless pedantic shitheads".

Jesus fucking Christ this is exactly what I mean. It wasn't supposed to be a work of comedic genius, it was just supposed to be recognised as lighthearted.

RoI2
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby RoI2 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:53 am

North Suran wrote:
Dzvasdvsdv wrote:
The RSU wrote:Yelling in full caps "HE'S NOT YOUR FUCKING ERRAND BOY!!!!" seems more indicative of flaming than sarcasm.

Read the thread again. He had already said he wasn't CtP's errand boy. When CtP (Or was it North Suran) asked for a source again, I merely made a joke. It's not my fault NSG is full of humourless pedantic shitheads.

Of course, when your joke falls flat, it's not because it was poorly executed or entirely unrelated to the argument: it's because NSG is full of "humourless pedantic shitheads".

We're his tools? :blink:
CI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Add 3399 to post count + 860
RIP RoI 22Feb - 20Aug '09

Tajikijaditistan
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Tajikijaditistan » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:53 am

Tajikijaditistan wrote:
The RSU wrote:
Dzvasdvsdv wrote:
North Suran wrote:It's common courtesy to back up your unsubstantiated bullshit with actual sources.

Yeah I know. I was making a joke, as earlier he had said he wasn't CtP's errand boy. Fuck sake NSG, lighten up and get the rod out your ass.

Yelling in full caps "HE'S NOT YOUR FUCKING ERRAND BOY!!!!" seems more indicative of flaming than sarcasm.

Imperialist Reich wrote:
North Suran wrote:
Dzvasdvsdv wrote:
Call to power wrote:waiting for you to post some new sources

HE'S NOT YOUR FUCKING ERRAND BOY!!!

It's common courtesy to back up your unsubstantiated bullshit with actual sources.

Backing up this so called bull s*** can be done by anyone.
I search the entire of Youtube all the time for where I got this entire stuff from to back up my reasons. They all came from the channel europarl and ukipmedia and ukipwebmaster.
No, I am not your errand boy and I dont need to back it up.

So its just come to petty tit-for-tat arguments?

North Suran wrote:
Dzvasdvsdv wrote:

So is has just just come to petty tit-for-tat arguments with no relevance to the original thread.

Is it possible to get back to the original topic?
Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state.
- Noam Chomsky

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Founded: Jun 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:54 am

Bassyruk wrote:Well, I'm an American so I don't know too much about this EU debate, (and I don't want to engage in this UK debate) but I think unififcation would end in disaster.

It was not a disaster for USA.

May I remind you that before the EC existed we were fighting with each other every 20 or 30 years (And no Yugoslavia wasn't a country of the EC).

• Vote for The NationStates Razzies 2009
• Any similarities with reality is a mere coincidence
• No mods were harmed during the making of this posting
• Protégez les enfants: ne leur faites pas respirer votre commentaires`
• Quand tous les dégoûtés seront partis, il ne restera plus que les dégoûtants
• Please report me at the Moderation Section because I'm spoiling your day

GetBert
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby GetBert » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:54 am

Dzvasdvsdv wrote:

Here is a hint, jokes need to be funny to other people as well.
Last edited by GetBert on Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:57 am

North Suran wrote:
Dzvasdvsdv wrote:

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:58 am

Do you have even a vague understanding of what the European Union does?
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Dzvasdvsdv
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Dzvasdvsdv » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:58 am

GetBert wrote:Here is a hint, jokes need to be funny to other people as well.

Some one once said "The object of a joke is to make people laugh. Even if that one person is you, you've succeeded."

Regardless of whether it was funny or not, it was not supposed to be taken seriously. And even if I was being serious, you'd have to be completely deranged to construe it as flaming.

Dontlivehereville
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Dontlivehereville » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:58 am

The whole world is heading down the unification road

I wouldn't be opposed to it if it were being done for the stated reasons, but I don't think that's the case. it's a good idea in theory because it could remove many of the obstacles to peace and prosperity, but consolidating the power WILL lead to widespread corruption. not to mention that most of it is a banking and economic ploy to eliminate trade restrictions and allow for the financial gutting of smaller nations

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:01 am

Dontlivehereville wrote:The whole world is heading down the unification road

I wouldn't be opposed to it if it were being done for the stated reasons, but I don't think that's the case. it's a good idea in theory because it could remove many of the obstacles to peace and prosperity, but consolidating the power WILL lead to widespread corruption. not to mention that most of it is a banking and economic ploy to eliminate trade restrictions and allow for the financial gutting of smaller nations

Lets see... What's worse? War or a little corruption? I go for war.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:01 am

That's quite a bit a fail there in one phrase. If anything, it would INHIBIT corruption! Too many responsible countries as one, unless you're sex crazed Berslusconi on a mission, not much with respect to corruption would get passed everyone's eyes.
Last edited by Buffett and Colbert on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:01 am

Well I liked your joke, Mr. Dsdksdkskdskd. :(
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Tajikijaditistan
Political Columnist

Founded: Dec 16, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Tajikijaditistan » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:02 am

Hairless Kitten II wrote:
Bassyruk wrote:Well, I'm an American so I don't know too much about this EU debate, (and I don't want to engage in this UK debate) but I think unififcation would end in disaster.

May I remind you that before the EC existed we were fighting with each other every 20 or 30 years (And no Yugoslavia wasn't a country of the EC).

It was a different circumstance in the US, there the US government gradually took over the whole of the land that is now in the US for the federal government, the separate states didn't exist separately prior to the creation of the federal government of the USA: the land was either annexed from Mexico, France or the Native Americans (btw I'm talking about after Independence).
Propaganda is to a democracy what the bludgeon is to a totalitarian state.
- Noam Chomsky

Dzvasdvsdv
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Dzvasdvsdv » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:02 am

Tubbsalot wrote:Well I liked your joke, Mr. Dsdksdkskdskd. :(

Thankyou. At least one person here you isn't an Aspergic armchair politician.

Dontlivehereville
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Dontlivehereville » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:04 am

who says unification by itself will put an end to war? have you ever read 1984? there were only 4 nations in the world and they were at constant war with each other to keep citizen's eyes on foreign enemies as opposed to the corruption inherent in their government

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:06 am

Dontlivehereville wrote:

who says unification by itself will put an end to war? have you ever read 1984? there were only 4 nations in the world and they were at constant war with each other to keep citizen's eyes on foreign enemies as opposed to the corruption inherent in their government

Because everything George Orwell writes must be true. :palm:

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Wakenfield
Attaché

Founded: Dec 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Wakenfield » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:06 am

North Suran wrote:
Wakenfield wrote:
Call to power wrote:
Hating-Silly-Fascists wrote:And since we're such a drain on your time and resources apparently, why are you so opposed to us gaining independance?

because it needlessly creates a divided island along with a legal nightmare of epic proportions

This.

The less states in the world, the better imo.

To an extent.

While I wouldn't want some Holy Roman Empire-esque scenario where Europe alone was composed of over 400 states, likewise I do not want a world where several nationalities where subjugated under one massive State.

Agreed. Europe during the cold war had a nice collection of medium sized states exc the Soviets and Albania which has mostly decayed into unremarkable tiny 'nation'-states.

Yes map aesthetics should totally be the primary concern when creating countries. But in all seriousness, while I'm not a fan of mega states I'm not a fan of Balkanisation either.
Last edited by Wakenfield on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE WECCANFELDIAN REVOLUTIONARY REPUBLIC
Bróðorscipe ond Férscipe
The NATION-STATE representing the natural wishes and interests of the WECCANFELT NATION AND ITS HOMELAND (inclusive of areas and people at present run by false regimes or otherwise part of a WECCANFELT DIASPORA) the reaches of which are defined constitutionally or otherwise by the ANGLEZARKE TREATY OF 1822 and proceding agreements.
Total Size of the Weccanfeldian Nation: 13,137 Million
Of which is under the dominion of various false states: 5,136 Million

Come to Nova, we have Technocrats

Dontlivehereville
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Dontlivehereville » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:06 am

Buffett and Colbert wrote:Because everything George Orwell writes must be true. :palm:

it's just an example. you see one possibility of unification and I see another, just because mine is pessimistic doesn't make it any less valid

Dzvasdvsdv
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Dzvasdvsdv » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:08 am

Dontlivehereville wrote:there were only 4 nations in the world

3 actually.

Dontlivehereville
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Dontlivehereville » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:09 am

Dzvasdvsdv wrote:
Dontlivehereville wrote:there were only 4 nations in the world

3 actually.

sorry, haven't read it in a while

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:14 am

Dontlivehereville wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Because everything George Orwell writes must be true. :palm:

it's just an example. you see one possibility of unification and I see another, just because mine is pessimistic doesn't make it any less valid

You cite a fictional book as evidence to support your case.

I call fail.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:14 am

Tajikijaditistan wrote:

It was a different circumstance in the US, there the US government gradually took over the whole of the land that is now in the US for the federal government, the separate states didn't exist separately prior to the creation of the federal government of the USA: the land was either annexed from Mexico, France or the Native Americans (btw I'm talking about after Independence).

Well, in Europe, countries are not forced to join the EC. Some do not, others partly and most can't wait.
Last edited by Hairless Kitten II on Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:17 am

Dontlivehereville wrote:

Oh you are one of those guys that believe that people can fly after reading Peter Pan?

North Suran
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby North Suran » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:18 am

Dzvasdvsdv wrote:
Tubbsalot wrote:Well I liked your joke, Mr. Dsdksdkskdskd. :(

Thankyou. At least one person here you isn't an Aspergic armchair politician.

Your continued childish tantrum against a strawman audience is much more humourous, however.
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General