NATION

PASSWORD

Oppose the Unification of Europe?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Do you want a European Federation?

Yes
51
46%
No
50
45%
Maybe - Debate
11
10%
 
Total votes : 112

User avatar
Soviet Taoistan
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 25
Founded: Jun 16, 2005
Left-wing Utopia

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby Soviet Taoistan » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:08 am

Theodoran wrote:
Soviet Taoistan wrote:
RoI2 wrote:
Crabulonia wrote:
I am Scottish as well and understand exactly what he means.

The English dislike the Scots, the Scots dislike the English, the Welsh probably weigh in hating people as well. Why are we a unified country?

We all live on the same island? We share a language? 1707? The fact that we've dominated you for centuries?
I share much more in common with fellow Scottish than with British in general.

You mean you like horrible food, are unhealthy and wear skirts?


Outside perspective here from California. The food all over the isles kinda sucks if you ignore all the Indian places. If you joined the EU, you could have more French and Mediterranean food. And that is without a colonial system like in the East. Everyone wins!


ok there is an idiot stereotyping there, but british food it wonderful in local specialities.... where do you think sandwiches came from, and jam tarts and burgers and basically alot of american -canadian food is british and french and scotish... random, but a scotsman invented the telly!


Having been to London and Glasgow... not much going for it food-wise. Admittedly a subjective statement but eh, when sandwiches and jam are your defenses...

Oh, and American food is pretty bad too. The best stuff we do is fusion cuisine and that is just playing around with other people's kitchens basically.

EDIT: Good cheese though on the isles. French cheese is over rated. Still, fully joining the EU collective would allow more Spanish cheeses, the underdog of European cheeses, in.
Last edited by Soviet Taoistan on Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
North Suran
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9974
Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby North Suran » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:08 am

Call to power wrote:
Imperialist Reich wrote: In 1958 export of UK was distributed like this:
EEC - 13%
Rest of Europe - 13%
The Commonwealth - 52%

Today UK exports are distributed like this:
The rest part of EU - 56%
USA - 14.6%
The Commonwealth - 4%


I'm confused about what your trying to show, are you some sort of neo-imperialist longing for the days when Churchill would allow millions of East Indians to starve to death?

Do bear in mind that you are arguing with someone called "Imperialist Reich".
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.


User avatar
RoI2
Diplomat
 
Posts: 869
Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby RoI2 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:09 am

North Suran wrote:
RoI2 wrote:
Soviet Taoistan wrote:Outside perspective here from California. The food all over the isles kinda sucks if you ignore all the Indian places. If you joined the EU, you could have more French and Mediterranean food. And that is without a colonial system like in the East. Everyone wins!

Where does this stereotype come from? Our food is awesome.

Ahem:
RoI2 wrote:You mean you like horrible food, are unhealthy and wear skirts?

The moral of the story is: Don't stereotype one nationality and then cry foul when the same thing is done to you.

One word - haggis.
CI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Add 3399 to post count + 860
RIP RoI 22Feb - 20Aug '09

User avatar
Theodoran
Attaché
 
Posts: 79
Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby Theodoran » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:09 am

North Suran wrote:
RoI2 wrote:
Soviet Taoistan wrote:Outside perspective here from California. The food all over the isles kinda sucks if you ignore all the Indian places. If you joined the EU, you could have more French and Mediterranean food. And that is without a colonial system like in the East. Everyone wins!

Where does this stereotype come from? Our food is awesome.

Ahem:
RoI2 wrote:You mean you like horrible food, are unhealthy and wear skirts?

The moral of the story is: Don't stereotype one nationality and then cry foul when the same thing is done to you.



o dear... *laughs and falls off chair* People are starting to see you're an idiot RoI2

User avatar
North Suran
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9974
Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby North Suran » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:09 am

Wakenfield wrote:Oh ya Scots/Welsh/NIers you're as British as any Englishman.

Not correct for Northern Irishmen.

To be British, you'd have to be born in Great Britain - not Ireland.

That's why its technically incorrect to refer to the UK as GB, since Ireland is actually a separate island.
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.


User avatar
Earth and Vulcan
Civil Servant
 
Posts: 10
Founded: Sep 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby Earth and Vulcan » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:10 am

Untrue, churchill wouldn't let millions of East Inidans starve to death. That's what Japan would do.

User avatar
RoI2
Diplomat
 
Posts: 869
Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby RoI2 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:10 am

Theodoran wrote:[

o dear... *laughs and falls off chair* People are starting to see you're an idiot RoI2

Starting? You moron.
CI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Add 3399 to post count + 860
RIP RoI 22Feb - 20Aug '09

User avatar
Theodoran
Attaché
 
Posts: 79
Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby Theodoran » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:11 am

ANYWAY!

before i went off on one....and started being ean to poor ichle RoI2
yeah, USE is cool, except the united states of europe is a bit naff, federation maybe?

o and the know the saying "only in america" well with all the culture if this happened we could say "only in europe"

User avatar
Imperialist Reich
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 407
Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby Imperialist Reich » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:11 am

North Suran wrote:
Call to power wrote:
Imperialist Reich wrote: In 1958 export of UK was distributed like this:
EEC - 13%
Rest of Europe - 13%
The Commonwealth - 52%

Today UK exports are distributed like this:
The rest part of EU - 56%
USA - 14.6%
The Commonwealth - 4%


I'm confused about what your trying to show, are you some sort of neo-imperialist longing for the days when Churchill would allow millions of East Indians to starve to death?

Do bear in mind that you are arguing with someone called "Imperialist Reich".


Aw, no. My name dosnt represent my personality. I am not an Imperialist.
"Empires of the world have always risen and fallen through war and conquest, it seems that the Empire has risen without war but fall with conquest" - Emperor Sareth Aringarosa

User avatar
RoI2
Diplomat
 
Posts: 869
Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby RoI2 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:12 am

North Suran wrote:
Wakenfield wrote:Oh ya Scots/Welsh/NIers you're as British as any Englishman.

Not correct for Northern Irishmen.

To be British, you'd have to be born in Great Britain - not Ireland.

That's why its technically incorrect to refer to the UK as GB, since Ireland is actually a separate island.

My grandfather is NIrish - he considers himself British. Someone on NSG is NIrish - she said she considers herself British.
CI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Add 3399 to post count + 860
RIP RoI 22Feb - 20Aug '09

User avatar
Theodoran
Attaché
 
Posts: 79
Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby Theodoran » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:12 am

RoI2 wrote:
Theodoran wrote:[

o dear... *laughs and falls off chair* People are starting to see you're an idiot RoI2

Starting? You moron.


using primative violent threats are we? awwww.... i sympathise with you.

User avatar
North Suran
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9974
Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby North Suran » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:12 am

RoI2 wrote:
North Suran wrote:
RoI2 wrote:
Soviet Taoistan wrote:Outside perspective here from California. The food all over the isles kinda sucks if you ignore all the Indian places. If you joined the EU, you could have more French and Mediterranean food. And that is without a colonial system like in the East. Everyone wins!

Where does this stereotype come from? Our food is awesome.

Ahem:
RoI2 wrote:You mean you like horrible food, are unhealthy and wear skirts?

The moral of the story is: Don't stereotype one nationality and then cry foul when the same thing is done to you.

One word - haggis.

Haggis is "popularly assumed to be of Scottish origin, but there is a lack of historical evidence that could conclusively attribute its origins to any one place or nation."

And furthermore, it's awesome.
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.


User avatar
Theodoran
Attaché
 
Posts: 79
Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby Theodoran » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:13 am

RoI2 wrote:
North Suran wrote:
Wakenfield wrote:Oh ya Scots/Welsh/NIers you're as British as any Englishman.

Not correct for Northern Irishmen.

To be British, you'd have to be born in Great Britain - not Ireland.

That's why its technically incorrect to refer to the UK as GB, since Ireland is actually a separate island.

My grandfather is NIrish - he considers himself British. Someone on NSG is NIrish - she said she considers herself British.


why do you go out of your way to disaggree with everyone!

User avatar
Wakenfield
Attaché
 
Posts: 69
Founded: Dec 14, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby Wakenfield » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:13 am

North Suran wrote:
Wakenfield wrote:Oh ya Scots/Welsh/NIers you're as British as any Englishman.

Not correct for Northern Irishmen.

To be British, you'd have to be born in Great Britain - not Ireland.

That's why its technically incorrect to refer to the UK as GB, since Ireland is actually a separate island.

Tru dat.
THE WECCANFELDIAN REVOLUTIONARY REPUBLIC
Bróðorscipe ond Férscipe
The NATION-STATE representing the natural wishes and interests of the WECCANFELT NATION AND ITS HOMELAND (inclusive of areas and people at present run by false regimes or otherwise part of a WECCANFELT DIASPORA) the reaches of which are defined constitutionally or otherwise by the ANGLEZARKE TREATY OF 1822 and proceding agreements.
Total Size of the Weccanfeldian Nation: 13,137 Million
Of which is under the dominion of various false states: 5,136 Million

Come to Nova, we have Technocrats

User avatar
Theodoran
Attaché
 
Posts: 79
Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby Theodoran » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:14 am

I love haggis!
:bow:

User avatar
Dzvasdvsdv
Envoy
 
Posts: 276
Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby Dzvasdvsdv » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:14 am

Call to power wrote:I'm confused about what your trying to show, are you some sort of neo-imperialist longing for the days when Churchill would allow millions of East Indians to starve to death?


Ah yeah, the good old days. When the white man controlled the world. Now Britain's a whole 2.2% black. That's pretty much a takeover.

User avatar
Reunified Sussex
Lobbyist
 
Posts: 13
Founded: Apr 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby Reunified Sussex » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:14 am

Typical. This is always what happens in a debate about the EU. On the one hand you get paranoid, right-wing, nationalist morons rabidly spouting nonsense about how eveil the EU is whilst on the other hand you get europhilic idiots who worship the EU and refuse to see anything wrong with it at all. Unfortunately this makes it impossible for sensible, more moderate people to get a word in edgeways and tarnishes their arguments.

For example, I'm against the EU. I think it's undemocratic, authoritarian and rife with corruption. But how can I hope to persuade anyone if you get people, who are nominally on my side, saying that the EU is "evil and trying to destroy britain and run by the new world order and the commision eats babies for breakfast" etc. Neither does it help if the people on the other side of the debate refuse to even acknowledge any views other than their own, or dismiss them as "right wing extremists".

Until you can inject somemodicum of sense and tolerance into this debate then you'll get nowhere.

Have fun :)

User avatar
North Suran
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9974
Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby North Suran » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:14 am

RoI2 wrote:
North Suran wrote:
Wakenfield wrote:Oh ya Scots/Welsh/NIers you're as British as any Englishman.

Not correct for Northern Irishmen.

To be British, you'd have to be born in Great Britain - not Ireland.

That's why its technically incorrect to refer to the UK as GB, since Ireland is actually a separate island.

My grandfather is NIrish - he considers himself British. Someone on NSG is NIrish - she said she considers herself British.

I could consider myself to be American; it doesn't make it anymore true.

The fact is, Great Britain refers to the landmass of Wales, Scotland and England.

Ireland is not geographically a part of Great Britain.

As such, NIrish should consider themselves to be "United Kingdomers" (terrible term, but whatev), rather than British.
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.


User avatar
Call to power
Negotiator
 
Posts: 6908
Founded: Apr 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby Call to power » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:14 am

RoI2 wrote:I'm sure this kinda thread isn't the only thing.

well yeah but the rampant scaremongering by those that seem to have an ideology that "omg we should bring back the empire" is one of the nations biggest downfalls

RoI2 wrote:They... they don't use real biscuits, do they?


they eat muffins and suspiciously sour ones at that (the gravy will also be...well beef fat)
The Parkus Empire wrote:Theoretically, why would anyone put anytime into anything but tobacco, intoxicants and sex?

Vareiln wrote:My god, CtP is right...
Not that you haven't been right before, but... Aw, hell, you get what I meant.

Tubbsalot wrote:replace my opinions with CtP's.


User avatar
Imperialist Reich
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 407
Founded: Mar 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby Imperialist Reich » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:15 am

Call to power wrote:
Imperialist Reich wrote: In 1958 export of UK was distributed like this:
EEC - 13%
Rest of Europe - 13%
The Commonwealth - 52%

Today UK exports are distributed like this:
The rest part of EU - 56%
USA - 14.6%
The Commonwealth - 4%


I'm confused about what your trying to show, are you some sort of neo-imperialist longing for the days when Churchill would allow millions of East Indians to starve to death?


No, I am merely showing the difference in trade which the EU has blocked us from. If we withdrew from it. We could trade with the Commonwealth to a more greater extent. Possibly helping us with our economy.
It would rather have been the Japanese that would starve the East Indians.
"Empires of the world have always risen and fallen through war and conquest, it seems that the Empire has risen without war but fall with conquest" - Emperor Sareth Aringarosa

User avatar
Dzvasdvsdv
Envoy
 
Posts: 276
Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby Dzvasdvsdv » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:16 am

Call to power wrote:they eat muffins and suspiciously sour ones at that (the gravy will also be...well beef fat)


And you can't buy alcohol under the age of 21. What's that all about?

User avatar
Theodoran
Attaché
 
Posts: 79
Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby Theodoran » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:16 am

Reunified Sussex wrote:Typical. This is always what happens in a debate about the EU. On the one hand you get paranoid, right-wing, nationalist morons rabidly spouting nonsense about how eveil the EU

Have fun :)


err, so you just err kinda poo of yourself.

User avatar
North Suran
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 9974
Founded: Jul 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby North Suran » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:16 am

Imperialist Reich wrote:No, I am merely showing the difference in trade which the EU has blocked us from. If we withdrew from it. We could trade with the Commonwealth to a more greater extent. Possibly helping us with our economy.

You do know what the whole point of the European Union is, right?
Neu Mitanni wrote:As for NS, his latest statement is grounded in ignorance and contrary to fact, much to the surprise of all NSGers.


User avatar
RoI2
Diplomat
 
Posts: 869
Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby RoI2 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:16 am

Theodoran wrote:
RoI2 wrote:
Theodoran wrote:[

o dear... *laughs and falls off chair* People are starting to see you're an idiot RoI2

Starting? You moron.


using primative violent threats are we? awwww.... i sympathise with you.

Will you please just fuck off and die.
CI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Add 3399 to post count + 860
RIP RoI 22Feb - 20Aug '09

User avatar
Theodoran
Attaché
 
Posts: 79
Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Oppose the Unification of Europe?

Postby Theodoran » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:16 am

North Suran wrote:
Imperialist Reich wrote:No, I am merely showing the difference in trade which the EU has blocked us from. If we withdrew from it. We could trade with the Commonwealth to a more greater extent. Possibly helping us with our economy.

You do know what the whole point of the European Union is, right?



to enhance trade....

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Convaria, Dumb Ideologies, Infected Mushroom, Kenmoria, Kubra, Meikaii, Miami Shores, Necroghastia, North German Realm, Pacomia, Quelsh, Tallinna Rahvavabariik, The Republic of Fore, Uiiop, Washington Resistance Army

Advertisement

Remove ads