NATION

PASSWORD

The NSG Football (all kinds, Int'l and USA) Megathread

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Chetssaland
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:36 pm

The Fanboyists wrote:
Hairless Kitten II wrote:Mmm, maybe we could start a new sport: Soccer but with the dress style (helmets, shoulder pads, ...) of the American variant...

No. Have you ever run in those pads? Bursts with a few seconds break in between is fine, but running constantly will make you overheat and dehydrate so fast. Coming from someone that wears them every day.

Yes, and don't all of you soccer-heads think that the pads take away the pain either,

The Fanboyists
Senator

Founded: Sep 21, 2007
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Fanboyists » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:41 pm

Chetssaland wrote:New AP Poll out.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings

Cincy in? I don't like it. Also, Oregon I belive should still be in.

Does it matter? They're all Big 10/Big 12/Big East/Whatever Crap Conference They're In. It won't matter in the end. An SEC team will still win the title. Okay, maybe someone from the Big 12 South.
Proud member of the Ajax role-playing community!
Ottonia, Draakur, and Untsangazar in Ajax
Terefuxe, formerly Allamunnic States (NSSport)

"The plans and schemes of tyrants are broken by many things. They shatter against cliffs of heroic struggle. They rupture on reefs of open resistance. And they are slowly eroded, bit by little bit, on the very beaches where they measure triumph, by countless grains of sand. By the stubborn little decencies of humble little men." -Eric Flint, Belisarius II: In The Heart of Darkness

Chetssaland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 pm

The Fanboyists wrote:

Does it matter? They're all Big 10/Big 12/Big East/Whatever Crap Conference They're In. It won't matter in the end. An SEC team will still win the title. Okay, maybe someone from the Big 12 South.

Jesus Christ your an SEC fanboyist aren't ya? I hearby curse you and your conference. Florida will never win another National Championship ever! MUHAHAHAHAHA!

EDIT: We need to save this post for as long as they don't win the NC. I could be the Billy Goat of Florida.
Last edited by Chetssaland on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taeshan
Senator

Founded: Aug 11, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Taeshan » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:53 pm

Chetssaland wrote:
The Fanboyists wrote:

Jesus Christ your an SEC fanboyist aren't ya? I hearby curse you and your conference. Florida will never win another National Championship ever! That they deserved, or didnt cheat or bribe their way to.

Corrected.
Champions - Copa Rushmori 22, Cup of Harmony 35, Di Bradini Cup 19, World Baseball Classic 13, Gridiron World Championships (World Bowl 0), World Bowl 34, World Lacrosse Championship 2

World Cup Qualifications-41, 44, 46, 59, 61(RoS), 62(Quarterfinals), 63 (RoS), 64 (Quarterfinals), 83, 84 (RoS), 85, 87

Hosts-Cup of Harmony 55, Copa Rushmori 14, Sporting World Cup 10,
Quidditch World Cup 10, World Cup of Hockey 41, World Cup 87

The Fanboyists
Senator

Postby The Fanboyists » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:03 pm

Chetssaland wrote:Jesus Christ your an SEC fanboyist aren't ya? I hearby curse you and your conference. Florida will never win another National Championship ever! MUHAHAHAHAHA!

EDIT: We need to save this post for as long as they don't win the NC. I could be the Billy Goat of Florida.

Since I was able to understand football. Roll Tide Roll. More specifically, Alabama; my dad is an alum, and I still have lots of family down there. And it sure as hell beats rooting for the state 'u' where I'm actually from (Maryland is painfully inconsistant). And I'm not from Utah or Mormon (sometimes the same thing), so I don't like BYU or Utah. Oklahoma is the team that didn't deserve to get to the NC game last year. Texas just annoys me and my East Coast sensibilities. Texas Tech is monstrously overrated. Oklahoma State passes too much.

USC is almost as overrated as Texas Tech. California may or may not be good. Oregon has an awesome mascot.

Florida State, Miami, and Georgia Tech should be honorary SEC members. They're certainly good enough. Get them in a conference they belong in, not the ACC.

Georgia is tolerable. Ole Miss is likeable. Florida is good.

Auburn is cow-humping trash.

LSU is the spawn of Satan without the awesome normally associated therewith.

Kentucky...? They merited being in the SEC?

Vandy...they'll be good eventually.

Tennessee...not worth the trouble of competetion. They can 'Volunteer' to take a beating all they want though.

South Carolina...they have a chicken as their mascot. I can't take them seriously.

Miss. State; would take them more seriously if they didn't keep losing to every conference opponent.

But by default, yes, I cheer for the SEC when its an SEC school v. a non-SEC school. The only people allowed to wail on them is other SEC teams, or the aforementioned honorary members (Georgia Tech, FSU, Miami, Texas). Except Auburn. I encourage everyone to beat them up at every opportunity.

"The plans and schemes of tyrants are broken by many things. They shatter against cliffs of heroic struggle. They rupture on reefs of open resistance. And they are slowly eroded, bit by little bit, on the very beaches where they measure triumph, by countless grains of sand. By the stubborn little decencies of humble little men." -Eric Flint, Belisarius II: In The Heart of Darkness

Chetssaland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:08 pm

The Fanboyists wrote:
Chetssaland wrote:Jesus Christ your an SEC fanboyist aren't ya? I hearby curse you and your conference. Florida will never win another National Championship ever! MUHAHAHAHAHA!

Since I was able to understand football. Roll Tide Roll. More specifically, Alabama; my dad is an alum, and I still have lots of family down there. And it sure as hell beats rooting for the state 'u' where I'm actually from (Maryland is painfully inconsistant). And I'm not from Utah or Mormon (sometimes the same thing), so I don't like BYU or Utah. Oklahoma is the team that didn't deserve to get to the NC game last year. Texas just annoys me and my East Coast sensibilities. Texas Tech is monstrously overrated. Oklahoma State passes too much.

USC is almost as overrated as Texas Tech. California may or may not be good. Oregon has an awesome mascot.

Florida State, Miami, and Georgia Tech should be honorary SEC members. They're certainly good enough. Get them in a conference they belong in, not the ACC.

Georgia is tolerable. Ole Miss is likeable. Florida is good.

Auburn is cow-humping trash.

LSU is the spawn of Satan without the awesome normally associated therewith.

Kentucky...? They merited being in the SEC?

Vandy...they'll be good eventually.

Tennessee...not worth the trouble of competetion. They can 'Volunteer' to take a beating all they want though.

South Carolina...they have a chicken as their mascot. I can't take them seriously.

Miss. State; would take them more seriously if they didn't keep losing to every conference opponent.

But by default, yes, I cheer for the SEC when its an SEC school v. a non-SEC school. The only people allowed to wail on them is other SEC teams, or the aforementioned honorary members (Georgia Tech, FSU, Miami, Texas). Except Auburn. I encourage everyone to beat them up at every opportunity.

Holy crap. I just puked all over my computer because of that SEC bias. *walks away dazed*

The Fanboyists
Senator

Postby The Fanboyists » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:10 pm

Taeshan wrote:
Chetssaland wrote:
The Fanboyists wrote:

Jesus Christ your an SEC fanboyist aren't ya? I hearby curse you and your conference. Florida will never win another National Championship ever! That they deserved, or didnt cheat or bribe their way to.

Corrected.

I don't care. I'd honestly like nothing better than for Alabama to destroy Florida in the SEC championship and to have a Crimson Tide NC.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:12 pm

Chetssaland wrote:
The Fanboyists wrote:

Jesus Christ your an SEC fanboyist aren't ya? I hearby curse you and your conference. Florida will never win another National Championship ever! MUHAHAHAHAHA!

Thats true, but only because Ole Miss is on the way up, #6 bitches, ;)

Florida and LSU are our sworn enemies, :lol2:

The Fanboyists
Senator

Postby The Fanboyists » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:14 pm

Chetssaland wrote:Holy crap. I just puked all over my computer because of that SEC bias. *walks away dazed*

You're just jealous 'cause you know I'm right and they are the best. Besides, there's so many Big 10 (mostly Penn State), USC, and Big 12 (and Florida) fair-weathers at my school, that for liking an SEC team other than Florida (and not actually being from down there), I'm actually fairly different from almost everyone I know. Especially for liking Alabama. You have no idea how often people just ignore any skill and just jump to state-bashing ("Can't you marry your cousin there?") I'm convinced its 'cause their jealous a state other than Maryland or one of their fair-weather teams can have talent.

Chetssaland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:14 pm

The Fanboyists wrote:
Taeshan wrote:
Chetssaland wrote:
The Fanboyists wrote:

Corrected.

I don't care. I'd honestly like nothing better than for Alabama to destroy Florida in the SEC championship and to have a Crimson Tide NC.

The only game I see Alabama losing is the game at Ole Miss. Of course there is an upset every year, so someone else may beat them...

Chetssaland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:15 pm

The Fanboyists wrote:
Chetssaland wrote:Holy crap. I just puked all over my computer because of that SEC bias. *walks away dazed*

You're just jealous 'cause you know I'm right and they are the best. Besides, there's so many Big 10 (mostly Penn State), USC, and Big 12 (and Florida) fair-weathers at my school, that for liking an SEC team other than Florida (and not actually being from down there), I'm actually fairly different from almost everyone I know. Especially for liking Alabama. You have no idea how often people just ignore any skill and just jump to state-bashing ("Can't you marry your cousin there?") I'm convinced its 'cause their jealous a state other than Maryland or one of their fair-weather teams can have talent.

Right... Well you keep telling yourself that :eyebrow:

The Fanboyists
Senator

Postby The Fanboyists » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:16 pm

Maurepas wrote:Thats true, but only because Ole Miss is on the way up, #6 bitches, ;)

Florida and LSU are our sworn enemies, :lol2:

...Until Alabama crushes their nuts into oblivion BY PLAYING DEFENSE PROPERLY! The only team with a chance is Florida, when they face Bama again in December for the SEC Championship. 12-0 again, baby!

...So...? Everyone hates LSU.
Last edited by The Fanboyists on Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chetssaland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:20 pm

The Fanboyists wrote:

I do, yes. Of course I hate most of the SEC besides Ole Miss and the sucky schools.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:23 pm

The Fanboyists wrote:...So...? Everyone hates LSU.

Not down here, on the MS Gulf Coast we are rather close to Louisiana, and it is pretty evenly split with some going for Ole Miss and the rest going for LSU...

Although we generally rally unquestionably for Southern Miss cause theyre in Conference USA...

The Fanboyists
Senator

Postby The Fanboyists » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:29 pm

Chetssaland wrote:
The Fanboyists wrote:

I do, yes. Of course I hate most of the SEC besides Ole Miss and the sucky schools.

I'm hoping it was even before they were good. Otherwise you're just another bandwagoner (The two teams I've liked best in the SEC have always been Bama and Miss, and, though I shouldn't, Tennessee. And Troy should be in there). The rest, yeah...

Like I said, I specifically like Alabama, mostly 'cause my Dad's an alum (and so I was brought up hating orange-and-blue and tigers, as well as that stadium, the Bunghole or whatever its called), and I have family living down there. LSU and Auburn, I hate for obvious reasons, Florida I dislike to an extent b/c all the bandwagoning that happens at my school for whoever wins (There were even a few FW Bama fans, but I was the only real fan (who didn't dump 'em when they finally lost). More than anything, I hate any team that attracts mass-bandwagoning where I'm from. Texas, Oklahoma, Penn State, and USC in particular.

I just generally think the SEC is a stronger conference. The ACC is too inconsistant (with one or two 10-win teams last year) there's not enough defense in the Big 12 North (or at Texas Tech or Okie or Okie State), the Pac-10 is always hyped and overrated, and none of the other conferences are particularly strong, but some do produce strong teams (WAC-Boise State and Mountain West - Utah & Nevada). The SEC is really the only, from what I can tell, complete package; consistant, fairly good 'D' all around, and very high competitive values.

Chetssaland
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:33 pm

The Fanboyists wrote:
Chetssaland wrote:
The Fanboyists wrote:

I'm hoping it was even before they were good. Otherwise you're just another bandwagoner (The two teams I've liked best in the SEC have always been Bama and Miss, and, though I shouldn't, Tennessee. And Troy should be in there). The rest, yeah...

Like I said, I specifically like Alabama, mostly 'cause my Dad's an alum (and so I was brought up hating orange-and-blue and tigers, as well as that stadium, the Bunghole or whatever its called), and I have family living down there. LSU and Auburn, I hate for obvious reasons, Florida I dislike to an extent b/c all the bandwagoning that happens at my school for whoever wins (There were even a few FW Bama fans, but I was the only real fan (who didn't dump 'em when they finally lost). More than anything, I hate any team that attracts mass-bandwagoning where I'm from. Texas, Oklahoma, Penn State, and USC in particular.

I just generally think the SEC is a stronger conference. The ACC is too inconsistant (with one or two 10-win teams last year) there's not enough defense in the Big 12 North (or at Texas Tech or Okie or Okie State), the Pac-10 is always hyped and overrated, and none of the other conferences are particularly strong, but some do produce strong teams (WAC-Boise State and Mountain West - Utah & Nevada). The SEC is really the only, from what I can tell, complete package; consistant, fairly good 'D' all around, and very high competitive values.

Umm no. I'm not a band waggoner. I have been a fan of Illinois since I was little which obviously means I am not fair weather fan (we suck ;) )

The Fanboyists
Senator

Postby The Fanboyists » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:39 pm

Chetssaland wrote:Umm no. I'm not a band waggoner. I have been a fan of Illinois since I was little which obviously means I am not fair weather fan (we suck ;) )

Good. I hate fair-weatherers. Half the reason I'm such a vehement Bama fan is people keep telling me they suck because they don't fit their bill of 'great team' or 'good place', and I get louder (and a little more fanatical) to spite them. So I can say I called it when they do reappear at the NC.

I've liked Alabama since before their most recent resurgance (which means its the first time in my memory that they've really been good).
Last edited by The Fanboyists on Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Midlauthia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Midlauthia » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:01 pm

Oklahoma just lost Gresham for the year, I'd say that all but kills their already dim NC game hopes...

RoI2
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby RoI2 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:27 am

Bluth Corporation wrote:This is the "NSG Football (all kinds, Int'l and USA) Megathread," meaning it's for discussion of football, both internationally and in the USA.

Soccer is not football, so soccer has no place here.

It's for american football and the football the rest of the world play. Keep up.
CI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Add 3399 to post count + 860
RIP RoI 22Feb - 20Aug '09

RoI2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby RoI2 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:29 am

Chetssaland wrote:
The Fanboyists wrote:
Hairless Kitten II wrote:Mmm, maybe we could start a new sport: Soccer but with the dress style (helmets, shoulder pads, ...) of the American variant...

No. Have you ever run in those pads? Bursts with a few seconds break in between is fine, but running constantly will make you overheat and dehydrate so fast. Coming from someone that wears them every day.

Yes, and don't all of you soccer-heads think that the pads take away the pain either,

American football players need to grow a pair of balls - you don't need the fucking pads. Pussies.
CI

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Founded: Jun 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:40 am

The Blaatschapen wrote:And I guess Standard will lose from Arsenal. And AZ will also lose from Arsenal. It will be very interesting though to see who will end up on the #2 spot of that group.

I'm not sure about that one. Normally Arsenal is the best, yes. AZ & Standard are rather close, maybe AZ is a little stronger.

But in Football everything can happen.
Standard almost beat Liverpool last year and eliminated Everton, which isn't a simple team either.

• Vote for The NationStates Razzies 2009
• Any similarities with reality is a mere coincidence
• No mods were harmed during the making of this posting
• Protégez les enfants: ne leur faites pas respirer votre commentaires`
• Quand tous les dégoûtés seront partis, il ne restera plus que les dégoûtants
• Please report me at the Moderation Section because I'm spoiling your day

RoI2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby RoI2 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:45 am

They won't beat Arsenal. They're too good.
CI

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:12 am

RoI2 wrote:They won't beat Arsenal. They're too good.

I agree, probably not. But Liverpool & Everton were good too, last year.

Anderlecht did beat Manchester United too a few years ago. And with all respect for Anderlecht, MU is playing in a league away above them.
In football weak teams can beat stronger teams.

I play a lot Football Manager 2009, I'm currently playing with Solihull Moors in the Conference League. :)

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:13 am

Roi2,

How is the English public reacting to the invasion of foreign players?

RoI2
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby RoI2 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:17 am

Hairless Kitten II wrote:Roi2,

How is the English public reacting to the invasion of foreign players?

Meh. Not badly. There's a little complaint of that they're not giving young English players a chance. I don't mind, it makes the Prem better.
CI

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General