NATION

PASSWORD

I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
User avatar
Great Imperium Romanum
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 145
Founded: Jun 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Great Imperium Romanum » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:13 pm

So my fellow NSer's, I recently got back from holiday in Turkey, it was enjoyable, fun, the usual. But on my way home I was stopped by the security team after running my bag through that big X-Ray machine of theirs and lo-and-behold was the kitchen cutlery knife I had acidentally left in my school bag after using it for pack lunches. It showed up on the screen like a christmas tree, I was baffled, when we took it out however I immediatly recognised the encrusted Philidelphia cheese spread encrusted on it and my subsequent mistake.

Oh dear.

Anyway, they wrote down my pass port number, were mostly unconcerned and waved me on without further incident.

But what I am however intrigued about is that I took it through London, Gatwick security, through TWO X-Ray machines if I recall correctly, and onto the plane, where it sat withen easy reach of myself if I was determined on ruining mine (and everyone elses) holiday by hijacking the plane.

Is this odd? Or somewhat disturbing that for all their anti-terrorist measures they let me waltz through onto the plane with a knife?

I will be writing to the my government, and the airport, in due course to moan about it, but what does NS think about this?

User avatar
Yootopia
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 8410
Founded: Dec 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Yootopia » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:14 pm

Great Imperium Romanum wrote:So my fellow NSer's, I recently got back from holiday in Turkey, it was enjoyable, fun, the usual. But on my way home I was stopped by the security team after running my bag through that big X-Ray machine of theirs and lo-and-behold was the kitchen cutlery knife I had acidentally left in my school bag after using it for pack lunches. It showed up on the screen like a christmas tree, I was baffled, when we took it out however I immediatly recognised the encrusted Philidelphia cheese spread encrusted on it and my subsequent mistake.

Oh dear.

Anyway, they wrote down my pass port number, were mostly unconcerned and waved me on without further incident.

But what I am however intrigued about is that I took it through London, Gatwick security, through TWO X-Ray machines if I recall correctly, and onto the plane, where it sat withen easy reach of myself if I was determined on ruining mine (and everyone elses) holiday by hijacking the plane.

Is this odd? Or somewhat disturbing that for all their anti-terrorist measures they let me waltz through onto the plane with a knife?

I will be writing to the my government, and the airport, in due course to moan about it, but what does NS think about this?

Maybe they thought you were a spy on the way out.
End the Modigarchy now.

User avatar
Maurepas
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36403
Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Maurepas » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:15 pm

Im pretty sure it only counts if you have an Arab sounding name, :p

User avatar
RoI2
Diplomat
 
Posts: 869
Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby RoI2 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:15 pm

I think you should get Was it sharp?
CI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Add 3399 to post count + 860
RIP RoI 22Feb - 20Aug '09

User avatar
Dzvasdvsdv
Envoy
 
Posts: 276
Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Dzvasdvsdv » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:15 pm

Another reason to ban Muslims from flying.

User avatar
GetBert
Ambassador
 
Posts: 1184
Founded: Jul 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby GetBert » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:16 pm

It is the Government's plan to reduce knife crime by allowing people to take them out of the country but not bring them back in.

User avatar
Vetalia
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 11072
Founded: Mar 23, 2005
Corporate Bordello

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Vetalia » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:16 pm

I went through Gatwick and I got stopped because of a goddamn tin of mints in my bag...maybe it looked like C4 or something.

Also spilled coffee on the guy in front of me at the metal detector, although he never found out and by the time he did I was presumably 3,000 miles away.
Economic Left/Right: 1.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 2.05

Honk Honk

User avatar
Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar
 
Posts: 32382
Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:16 pm

They probably alerted the other guards.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

User avatar
Great Imperium Romanum
Spokesperson
 
Posts: 145
Founded: Jun 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Great Imperium Romanum » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:19 pm

For extra info i'm six foot, slim, blond, blue eyed and relativly pale. So maybe in Turkey i'm a suspected ethnic minority eh?

It wasn't sharp, but I could still do some damage with it, gouge out peoples eyes and so on ect.

Also I forgot that NS's heights of intelletual thought are only matched by the depths of it's ignorance... :p

User avatar
Terraliberty
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 358
Founded: Aug 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Terraliberty » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:22 pm

Welcome to London Airport Security! You should see what I've got away with through Heathrow!! Nobody seems to care unless the tabloids have recently been on their case and then they're just over the top.

On the other hand... JFK, New York have trashed several padlocks on my suitcases and pointed guns at me twice due to a gameboy and some disposable razors.
0101100101101111011101010111001000100000011000110110111101101101011100000111010101110100011
0010101110010001000000110111101101110011011000111100100100000011001000110111101100101011100
1100100000011101000111011101101111001000000111010001101000011010010110111001100111011100110
0101110001000000010000001001001011101000010000000100000011100110110000101111001011100110010
0000011110010110010101110011001000000110111101110010001000000110100101110100001000000111001
1011000010111100101110011001000000110111001101111001011100010000000100000010011010111100100
1000000110001101101111011011010111000001110101011101000110010101110010001000000111001101100
001011110010111001100100000011011100110111100100001
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.82

User avatar
Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar
 
Posts: 32382
Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:23 pm

Terraliberty wrote:Welcome to London Airport Security! You should see what I've got away with through Heathrow!! Nobody seems to care unless the tabloids have recently been on their case and then they're just over the top.

On the other hand... JFK, New York have trashed several padlocks on my suitcases and pointed guns at me twice due to a gameboy and some disposable razors.


Unless you resisted them, I sincerely doubt this.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

User avatar
Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19119
Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:24 pm

meh so they didn't catch you with a knife so what? it's not like you sound like the kind of person who would hijack a plane anyways.
yeah i doubt they'l bother reading your letter, one more person moaning about the government is hardly a new event.

User avatar
Terraliberty
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 358
Founded: Aug 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Terraliberty » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:25 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Terraliberty wrote:Welcome to London Airport Security! You should see what I've got away with through Heathrow!! Nobody seems to care unless the tabloids have recently been on their case and then they're just over the top.

On the other hand... JFK, New York have trashed several padlocks on my suitcases and pointed guns at me twice due to a gameboy and some disposable razors.


Unless you resisted them, I sincerely doubt this.



I probably should have pointed out this was november 2001.
0101100101101111011101010111001000100000011000110110111101101101011100000111010101110100011
0010101110010001000000110111101101110011011000111100100100000011001000110111101100101011100
1100100000011101000111011101101111001000000111010001101000011010010110111001100111011100110
0101110001000000010000001001001011101000010000000100000011100110110000101111001011100110010
0000011110010110010101110011001000000110111101110010001000000110100101110100001000000111001
1011000010111100101110011001000000110111001101111001011100010000000100000010011010111100100
1000000110001101101111011011010111000001110101011101000110010101110010001000000111001101100
001011110010111001100100000011011100110111100100001
Economic Left/Right: -5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.82

User avatar
Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar
 
Posts: 32382
Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:28 pm

Terraliberty wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Terraliberty wrote:Welcome to London Airport Security! You should see what I've got away with through Heathrow!! Nobody seems to care unless the tabloids have recently been on their case and then they're just over the top.

On the other hand... JFK, New York have trashed several padlocks on my suitcases and pointed guns at me twice due to a gameboy and some disposable razors.


Unless you resisted them, I sincerely doubt this.



I probably should have pointed out this was november 2001.


That would make a tad of a difference...
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

User avatar
DrunkenDove
Diplomat
 
Posts: 624
Founded: Nov 15, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby DrunkenDove » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:31 pm

Almost anyone can become a airport security guard. It requires no special training, education or abillities. Because of this, it is very badly paid. It's also very boring. The kind of people that end up doing badly paid and boring jobs are, in general, not very competent kinds of people. On top of this, that same person has more a chance of winning the lottery than catching a terrorist. They know this, at least subconciously. I suspect that most airport security people stop giving a crap about what people have in their hand luggage after about a fortnight on the job, which is why on pretty much every flight I've been on for the last two years, I've had something on me that I could potentially hijack the plane with.

Airport security is pretty much completely pointless. People don't not hijack planes because they have to face the mighty metal detector and x-ray machine, it's because they don't want to.
Last edited by DrunkenDove on Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The butterfly fluttered by.

User avatar
Ashmoria
Post Czar
 
Posts: 46718
Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:35 pm

Great Imperium Romanum wrote:For extra info i'm six foot, slim, blond, blue eyed and relativly pale. So maybe in Turkey i'm a suspected ethnic minority eh?

It wasn't sharp, but I could still do some damage with it, gouge out peoples eyes and so on ect.

Also I forgot that NS's heights of intelletual thought are only matched by the depths of it's ignorance... :p

no you could not have hijacked the airplane with a dull knife. the days of easy hijacking are over.

yes you could have hurt someone before the other passengers beat you to death but you could do that anywhere, eh? its not extra bad if you do it on an airplane instead of on a city bus.

it is rather disturbing that something so visible on xray was overlooked in london though. thats a very bad sign about the quality of their security personell.

when my sister and i flew from albuquerque to baltimore last month they spotted a swiss army knife in her carryon (she was moritified.) they searched through it for a good 10 minutes (maybe longer) and did not give up until they had removed it from her bag.

we also got to go through that person xray thingy where they see you "naked" and can be sure that you arent carrying anything bad onto the airplane. it was kinda cool.
whatever

User avatar
Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar
 
Posts: 32382
Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:39 pm

Ashmoria wrote:we also got to go through that person xray thingy where they see you "naked" and can be sure that you arent carrying anything bad onto the airplane. it was kinda cool.


"Cool" isn't the word I'd use to describe that...
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

User avatar
Natapoc
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19864
Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Natapoc » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:41 pm

Great Imperium Romanum wrote:So my fellow NSer's, I recently got back from holiday in Turkey, it was enjoyable, fun, the usual. But on my way home I was stopped by the security team after running my bag through that big X-Ray machine of theirs and lo-and-behold was the kitchen cutlery knife I had acidentally left in my school bag after using it for pack lunches. It showed up on the screen like a christmas tree, I was baffled, when we took it out however I immediatly recognised the encrusted Philidelphia cheese spread encrusted on it and my subsequent mistake.

Oh dear.

Anyway, they wrote down my pass port number, were mostly unconcerned and waved me on without further incident.

But what I am however intrigued about is that I took it through London, Gatwick security, through TWO X-Ray machines if I recall correctly, and onto the plane, where it sat withen easy reach of myself if I was determined on ruining mine (and everyone elses) holiday by hijacking the plane.

Is this odd? Or somewhat disturbing that for all their anti-terrorist measures they let me waltz through onto the plane with a knife?

I will be writing to the my government, and the airport, in due course to moan about it, but what does NS think about this?


It is really not an issue. If you tried to hijack a plane with a kitchen knife in 2009 people would rush you and you would be lucky to survive. The official policy in the past was to allow any hijacker to hijack an aircraft because in the past it was assumed the motive was money.

Now that people know they may die anyway the clear choice is to demolish the person holding the knife by the fastest, most efficient method possible.
Did you see a ghost?

User avatar
Ashmoria
Post Czar
 
Posts: 46718
Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:42 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:we also got to go through that person xray thingy where they see you "naked" and can be sure that you arent carrying anything bad onto the airplane. it was kinda cool.


"Cool" isn't the word I'd use to describe that...

why? its kinda cool. you know how after you take off your shoes, empty your pockets, and put your jacket onto the conveyor belt someone always says that they ought to make you go through security naked? now you DO except that you dont take your clothes off.
whatever

User avatar
Maurepas
Post Czar
 
Posts: 36403
Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Maurepas » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:42 pm

Ashmoria wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:we also got to go through that person xray thingy where they see you "naked" and can be sure that you arent carrying anything bad onto the airplane. it was kinda cool.


"Cool" isn't the word I'd use to describe that...

why? its kinda cool. you know how after you take off your shoes, empty your pockets, and put your jacket onto the conveyor belt someone always says that they ought to make you go through security naked? now you DO except that you dont take your clothes off.

They always take away the fun part, >:(

User avatar
Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator
 
Posts: 23565
Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:44 pm

Maurepas wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:we also got to go through that person xray thingy where they see you "naked" and can be sure that you arent carrying anything bad onto the airplane. it was kinda cool.


"Cool" isn't the word I'd use to describe that...

why? its kinda cool. you know how after you take off your shoes, empty your pockets, and put your jacket onto the conveyor belt someone always says that they ought to make you go through security naked? now you DO except that you dont take your clothes off.

They always take away the fun part, >:(


No kidding. Being seen naked without getting naked is like non-alcoholic beer; What's the point?
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

User avatar
EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 13456
Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:46 pm

I wasn't allowed to take my blunt nail scissors through airport security. So LOLWUT?

User avatar
Mad hatters in jeans
Post Marshal
 
Posts: 19119
Founded: Nov 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Mad hatters in jeans » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:46 pm

DrunkenDove wrote:Almost anyone can become a airport security guard. It requires no special training, education or abillities. Because of this, it is very badly paid. It's also very boring. The kind of people that end up doing badly paid and boring jobs are, in general, not very competent kinds of people. On top of this, that same person has more a chance of winning the lottery than catching a terrorist. They know this, at least subconciously. I suspect that most airport security people stop giving a crap about what people have in their hand luggage after about a fortnight on the job, which is why on pretty much every flight I've been on for the last two years, I've had something on me that I could potentially hijack the plane with.

Airport security is pretty much completely pointless. People don't not hijack planes because they have to face the mighty metal detector and x-ray machine, it's because they don't want to.

competant kinds of people? ouch.
you ever tried watching thousands of people stressed or happy to go on holiday? i don't care if you're Zeus and his lovechild or a trained sniper used to watching nothing for hours you will get bored to death.
besides they're not only there to watch for terrorists. sometimes people get double angry and need to be taken off the plane or a similar scenario.

User avatar
Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar
 
Posts: 32382
Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:47 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:we also got to go through that person xray thingy where they see you "naked" and can be sure that you arent carrying anything bad onto the airplane. it was kinda cool.


"Cool" isn't the word I'd use to describe that...

why? its kinda cool. you know how after you take off your shoes, empty your pockets, and put your jacket onto the conveyor belt someone always says that they ought to make you go through security naked? now you DO except that you dont take your clothes off.

They always take away the fun part, >:(


No kidding. Being seen naked without getting naked is like non-alcoholic beer; What's the point?


You're got a point, there...
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

User avatar
Ashmoria
Post Czar
 
Posts: 46718
Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Re: I took a knife through Gatwick, London, airport security...

Postby Ashmoria » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:49 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Maurepas wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:we also got to go through that person xray thingy where they see you "naked" and can be sure that you arent carrying anything bad onto the airplane. it was kinda cool.


"Cool" isn't the word I'd use to describe that...

why? its kinda cool. you know how after you take off your shoes, empty your pockets, and put your jacket onto the conveyor belt someone always says that they ought to make you go through security naked? now you DO except that you dont take your clothes off.

They always take away the fun part, >:(


No kidding. Being seen naked without getting naked is like non-alcoholic beer; What's the point?


You're got a point, there...


in an effort to spring into existence a new form of pornography....

i wonder if their are any websites that feature the "person xray thingy" screen cap porn?
whatever

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ameriganastan, Gravlen, Infected Mushroom, Necroghastia, New haven america, SD_Film Artists, The Blaatschapen

Advertisement

Remove ads