NATION

PASSWORD

The Future of Religion

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

The Future of Religion

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:28 pm

Religion seems, to me, to be changing quite significantly. Even the so-called fundamentalists of today give rather postmodern answers to the question "Why do you believe?" In the 1920's, a believer would attempt to point to evidence of fulfilled prophecies or scientific foreknowledge in the bible or appeal to some kind of authority. They might not have always had the best reasons, and may have used an occasional logical fallacy, but they at least attempted to appeal to evidence and reason, showing that they held their beliefs to be propositions with literal correspondence to reality.

Today, very few religious people do this. Even amongst the hardcore fundamentalists, this kind of answer is rare. The revival of the 1920's was of a rather different qualitative character to the revival of the 2000's. Ask even most strongly religious people "Why do you believe?" and you rarely get any appeals to evidence at all. You get "I need a purpose to life." or "You can't define morality without god." or "It gives me comfort to feel that someone is looking out for me." Excepting the professional creationist crackpots like Duane Gish or William Dembski, or the pseudo-sophisticated quasi-philosophers like William Lane Craig, these are the kinds of answers you get. But this is a very existential answer. This is not the answer you give when you feel that your belief holds propositional value. We thus see that "belief" in today's religions often means something very different than the straightforward idea of "acceptance of a proposition as true" that it means elsewhere and that it used to mean in religion long ago. Religion as being propositional has all but died in the West.

So I ask, will this trend continue? What do you think will be the future of religion? I see 5 possibilities.

1. Religion dies out totally and we all tend toward a kind of Star Trek humanism. Militant atheism also dies, because militant atheism is simply a reaction to the presence of theism. Instead, everyone is an atheist, so non-belief in god is simply taken as the uncontroversial default.

2. Pantheism takes over. Pantheism is a naturalistic worldview, but one where the universe takes on a spiritual nature. This is Spinoza and Einstein's god. This is "cosmic religion."

3. Non-theistic polytheism. People come to believe that, of course the gods don't literally exist, but the personification of various aspects of nature and society, combined with mythology surrounding said characters, is seen to fulfill a vital mythic role in society. In this system, there are plenty of gods and goddesses, but no one actually believes they exist literally. Instead, mythos is treated in a very classical sense, as it was by the later Athenians.

4. New age bullshit takes over. This desperate need to believe in "something more" beyond material reality persists after the death of religion, but people fill the void with incoherent nonsense about "quantum" this and "holistic" that.

5. Religion truly revives, taking its original place as a set of literal correspondence beliefs. Note that this does not necessarily mean that Christianity revives. It could be that a new religion comes to replace Christianity, like Islam, or some brand new religion not yet invented.

So NSG, what do you think the future of religion is? Do you think Nietzsche was right, that god is fundamentally dead, but that society simply hasn't realized it en masse yet? Or is he wrong, and religion is bound to flourish in legitimate form once again?
This is why gay marriage will destroy American families.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:30 pm

Religions will change to fit new scientific discoveries. Upon the eventual, albeit distant, collapse of our society, who knows what will become of it?
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

The Akkadian Empire
Envoy

Founded: Oct 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Akkadian Empire » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:31 pm

Christianity, will never die. Roman Catholicism, will never die. Protestants will never die. Nor will Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, et cetera.

Unless earth is going to be exterminated, these religions will live far beyond what you or me can possibly dream of.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:32 pm

The Akkadian Empire wrote:Christianity, will never die. Roman Catholicism, will never die. Protestants will never die. Nor will Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, et cetera.

Unless earth is going to be exterminated, these religions will live far beyond what you or me can possibly dream of.

Not likely, no. They'll die out eventually and be replaced, just as all religions do.

Goodbye.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:36 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:Religions will change to fit new scientific discoveries. Upon the eventual, albeit distant, collapse of our society, who knows what will become of it?

The constant change to fit new scientific discoveries is part of the very thing that's thinning out modern religion and slowly killing it. Modern religion is emaciated.
Gays are made up of gaytrinos and they interact via faggons, which are massless spin 2 particles. They're massless because gays care so much about their weight, and have spin 2, cause that's as much spin as particles can get, and liberals love spin. The exchange of spin 2 particles creates an attractive force between objects, which is why gays are so promiscuous. When gays get "settle down" into a lower energy state by marrying, they release faggon particles in the form of gaydiation. Everyone is a little bit gay, so every human body has some gaytrinos in it, meaning that the gaydiation could cause straight people to be attracted to gays and choose to turn gay.

The Akkadian Empire
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Akkadian Empire » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:38 pm

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
The Akkadian Empire wrote:Christianity, will never die. Roman Catholicism, will never die. Protestants will never die. Nor will Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, et cetera.

Not likely, no. They'll die out eventually and be replaced, just as all religions do.

I think no man on this earth has a right to predict that near four billion people will give up the Abraham religions and move onto something else. Any "new" religion that starts up is considered a cult, and if it does get anywhere, it is a laughing stock. Take a look at Scientology, perhaps the largest "New" religion for a long time. It is a Media and Cultural circus that in no way could dream of replacing Abrahamic Religions.

Unless there is some genocide where half of the earths population is slaughtered, I see no reason why it would diminished.

Graditora
Senator

Founded: Jul 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Graditora » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:38 pm

Favorite Quote: "A loving heart is the beginning of all knowledge"- Thomas Carlyle
The Shadow of F7
Pronounced: "Grah-deh-tor-ah" | Now with a wiki!
Luziyca wrote:You were the one responsible for the Second Amendment.

Bafuria wrote:If I was allowed to carry I would carry a pistol with big, loud muzzle blast, something that says "I JUST SHOT YOU D:<".

Ea90 wrote:Someone knows what they want.

Romberg wrote:You do not mess with the nation with a scorpion on its flag.

Descedant of George Reed. Delaware signer of the Deceleration of Independence.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:41 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:Religions will change to fit new scientific discoveries. Upon the eventual, albeit distant, collapse of our society, who knows what will become of it?

The constant change to fit new scientific discoveries is part of the very thing that's thinning out modern religion and slowly killing it. Modern religion is emaciated.

Yes. But, considering that, let's be honest here, someday our civilization will be lost to the sands of time, new religions will crop up in new societies.

The Akkadian Empire wrote:
Nationstatelandsville wrote:

I think no man on this earth has a right to predict that near four billion people will give up the Abraham religions and move onto something else. Any "new" religion that starts up is considered a cult, and if it does get anywhere, it is a laughing stock. Take a look at Scientology, perhaps the largest "New" religion for a long time. It is a Media and Cultural circus that in no way could dream of replacing Abrahamic Religions.

Unless there is some genocide where half of the earths population is slaughtered, I see no reason why it would diminished.

More and more atheists, followed by a new wave of theists.

Goodbye.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:42 pm

The Akkadian Empire wrote:I think no man on this earth has a right to predict that near four billion people will give up the Abraham religions and move onto something else. Any "new" religion that starts up is considered a cult, and if it does get anywhere, it is a laughing stock. Take a look at Scientology, perhaps the largest "New" religion for a long time. It is a Media and Cultural circus that in no way could dream of replacing Abrahamic Religions.

Christianity was a cult, once. So was Judaism. The Egyptian religion existed for thousands of years and died out eventually.

The Akkadian Empire
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Akkadian Empire » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:48 pm

The Akkadian Empire wrote:I think no man on this earth has a right to predict that near four billion people will give up the Abraham religions and move onto something else. Any "new" religion that starts up is considered a cult, and if it does get anywhere, it is a laughing stock. Take a look at Scientology, perhaps the largest "New" religion for a long time. It is a Media and Cultural circus that in no way could dream of replacing Abrahamic Religions.

Christianity was a cult, once. So was Judaism. The Egyptian religion existed for thousands of years and died out eventually.

You cannot use the religions of old to compare to modern Abrahamic Religions. The Egyption Religion was void when Alexander conquered Egypt and replaced it with Greek Gods. Same roles, different names. The same when The Romans conquered Egypt. As also when the Romans conquered many barbarians with their own pantheons. They all eventually settled with new religions because it was something very familiar to them. That was a time of constant war, strife, and Pantheons. The only Pantheon that I know of now that can be considered is Hinduism.

You have near four billion people, about half of the worlds population, all believing in one God. They know him as God, Allah, Yahweh, but he is one god. And almost all of them coexist together peacefully with their religion. From Russia to Brazil to Alaska to Australia. As I have said, it would require something so insane and unlikely as a genocide of Abrahamic Followers, to destroy those three religions and replace them with something new. It will not happen in my lifetime nor my sons lifetime, I assure you.
Last edited by The Akkadian Empire on Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiangLai
Envoy

Founded: Oct 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby LiangLai » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:53 pm

Personally, I think religion will never die out. As long as there is a need for those to find happiness and solace in times of hardship, religion will always be there to guide people out.
Economic Left/Right: 5.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.03

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened." - Winston Churchill
Win Quote
Bluth Corporation wrote:
Red Indus2 wrote:The Soviet Union was a particularly capitalist state because it had to capitalize by itself and induct those capable of doing so into its apparatus, rather then leave the capitalists to run the economy.

I agree, the Soviet Union epitomized capitalism.

I mean, USSR? What's more capitalist than that? Four capitals, all in a row!

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:58 pm

If religion exists in the future, it will be a very personal thing. Out of politics.

Four-sided Triangles
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Four-sided Triangles » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:58 pm

The Akkadian Empire wrote:You cannot use the religions of old to compare to modern Abrahamic Religions. The Egyption Religion was void when Alexander conquered Egypt and replaced it with Greek Gods. Same roles, different names. The same when The Romans conquered Egypt. As also when the Romans conquered many barbarians with their own pantheons. They all eventually settled with new religions because it was something very familiar to them. That was a time of constant war, strife, and Pantheons. The only Pantheon that I know of now that can be considered is Hinduism.

You have near four billion people, about half of the worlds population, all believing in one God. They know him as God, Allah, Yahweh, but he is one god. And almost all of them coexist together peacefully with their religion. From Russia to Brazil to Alaska to Australia. As I have said, it would require something so insane and unlikely as a genocide of Abrahamic Followers, to destroy those three religions and replace them with something new. It will not happen in my lifetime nor my sons lifetime, I assure you.

Not really. It just requires modernization. Religion is basically dead in Europe. It's dying in America, with its recent revival nothing more than the last outbursts of a wounded beast.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:00 pm

The Akkadian Empire wrote:You cannot use the religions of old to compare to modern Abrahamic Religions. The Egyption Religion was void when Alexander conquered Egypt and replaced it with Greek Gods. Same roles, different names. The same when The Romans conquered Egypt. As also when the Romans conquered many barbarians with their own pantheons. They all eventually settled with new religions because it was something very familiar to them. That was a time of constant war, strife, and Pantheons. The only Pantheon that I know of now that can be considered is Hinduism.

Not really. It just requires modernization. Religion is basically dead in Europe. It's dying in America, with its recent revival nothing more than the last outbursts of a wounded beast.

This made me smile. The kind of smile one gets when watching a long hated enemy finally die.
Last edited by Genivaria on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unilisia
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unilisia » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:03 pm

Eventually extinction.
I am the mighty Uni.

Tiami wrote:I bow before the mighty Uni.

Lackadaisical2 wrote:If it shocked Uni, I know I don't want to read it.
You win.

Kylarnatia wrote:Steep hill + wheelchair + my lap - I think we know where that goes ;)

Katganistan wrote:That is fucking stupid.

L Ron Cupboard wrote:He appears to be propelling himself out of the flames with explosive diarrhea while his mother does jazz hands.

Mike the Progressive wrote:Because women are gods, men are pigs, and we, the males, deserve to all be castrated.

Neo Arcad wrote:Uni doesn't sleep. She waits.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Collector: "Why are these coins all sticky?"

Nightkill the Emperor
Post Kaiser

Founded: Dec 28, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Nightkill the Emperor » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:03 pm

Probably become more liberal.
Hi! I'm Khan, your local misanthropic Indian.
I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith.
P2TM RP Discussion Thread
If you want a good rp, read this shit.
Tiami is cool.
Nat: Night's always in some bizarre state somewhere between "intoxicated enough to kill a hair metal lead singer" and "annoying Mormon missionary sober".

Swith: It's because you're so awesome. God himself refreshes the screen before he types just to see if Nightkill has written anything while he was off somewhere else.

Monfrox wrote:
The balkens wrote:
# went there....

It's Nightkill. He's been there so long he rents out rooms to other people at a flat rate, but demands cash up front.

The Akkadian Empire
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Akkadian Empire » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:04 pm

You have no idea how inane that sounds.

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:06 pm

You have no idea how inane that sounds.

in·ane Adjective: Silly; stupid; not significant.

How exactly is what he said either stupid or silly? It is very true.
Last edited by Genivaria on Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:09 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:Not really. It just requires modernization. Religion is basically dead in Europe. It's dying in America, with its recent revival nothing more than the last outbursts of a wounded beast.

Don't know about that. Religion is cyclical, really. It experiences revivals and temporary deaths, but I don't think it'll ever really leave us.
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

The Akkadian Empire
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Akkadian Empire » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:11 pm

Genivaria wrote:
The Akkadian Empire wrote:You have no idea how that sounds.

Religion may not be fully practiced as it once was. Christians may not go to church every Sunday, they may not pray before they sleep or say grace, but if they hold the ideals, they will always be Christian, it does not matter what branch. While Religion may get more and more liberal, Abrahamic religions will not just disappear "with its recent revival nothing more then the last outbursts of a wounded beast". In order for a beast to be wounded, it must have been dealt a blow, by bow and arrow, gunfire, or the attacks of another beast. Although Religion is no beast of any sort, I simply wonder how one could think it has been wounded in anyway. More so, this beast you speak of is simply becoming more and more calm, and cares less of what its liter or its enemies in its environment do. What an inane metaphor.

Faolinn
Minister

Founded: Aug 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Faolinn » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:13 pm

I think we are heading into a phase of religious thought that is wrapped in syncretic patterns of faith, new age thought, and a fusion of scientific thought and spirituality. None shall truly over take the other, it will become more about what one believes on an individual basis and less in an organized form. We may still have universalized rituals and intermediaries but I think people shall become their own priests and ministers for the most part.
"And the Gods said down with tyrants and it was good."-Me
One of the religious left.
Research supports cynicism
My ideology.

I support: Deism, Evolution, Pro Choice, Feminism, Environmentalism, Communal Anarchism, Cosmopolitanism, Transcendentalism, Occultism, Anarcho Syndicalism, Mutualism, Legalizing Illegal substances, Sexual Freedom, LGBT Rights, Freedom of Speech

I oppose: Fascism, Objectivism, Determinism, Nihlism, Evangelism, Anarcho Capitalism, Atheism (militant), Conservatism, Monarchy, Totalitarianism,Might = Right, Timocracy, Plutocracy, Oligarchy, Materialism, Creationism, Transhumanism, Legalism, Nationalism, Imperialsm, Racism

I disagree with but have some respect for: Secular Humanism, Agnosticism

Genivaria
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Genivaria » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:16 pm

Genivaria wrote:

Religion may not be fully practiced as it once was. Christians may not go to church every Sunday, they may not pray before they sleep or say grace, but if they hold the ideals, they will always be Christian, it does not matter what branch. While Religion may get more and more liberal, Abrahamic religions will not just disappear "with its recent revival nothing more then the last outbursts of a wounded beast". In order for a beast to be wounded, it must have been dealt a blow, by bow and arrow, gunfire, or the attacks of another beast. Although Religion is no beast of any sort, I simply wonder how one could think it has been wounded in anyway. More so, this beast you speak of is simply becoming more and more calm, and cares less of what its liter or its enemies in its environment do. What an inane metaphor.

In order for a beast to be wounded, it must have been dealt a blow

It has been. It was called the Renaissance, Republicanism, the Scientific Method, Secular Humanism, and Freedom of Religion have served to make Christianity weaker.

Puissancevise
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Puissancevise » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:22 pm

As the world evolves, more and more people are going to replace religion with more logical means on explaining things. Eventually, all religions will die out.
President Desmond Salirne
"We, humanity, shall live free."
Puissancevise Factbook

Ruridova
Post Marshal

Founded: Jun 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruridova » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:26 pm

Four-sided Triangles wrote:Religion seems, to me, to be changing quite significantly. Even the so-called fundamentalists of today give rather postmodern answers to the question "Why do you believe?" In the 1920's, a believer would attempt to point to evidence of fulfilled prophecies or scientific foreknowledge in the bible or appeal to some kind of authority. They might not have always had the best reasons, and may have used an occasional logical fallacy, but they at least attempted to appeal to evidence and reason, showing that they held their beliefs to be propositions with literal correspondence to reality.

Today, very few religious people do this. Even amongst the hardcore fundamentalists, this kind of answer is rare. The revival of the 1920's was of a rather different qualitative character to the revival of the 2000's. Ask even most strongly religious people "Why do you believe?" and you rarely get any appeals to evidence at all. You get "I need a purpose to life." or "You can't define morality without god." or "It gives me comfort to feel that someone is looking out for me." Excepting the professional creationist crackpots like Duane Gish or William Dembski, or the pseudo-sophisticated quasi-philosophers like William Lane Craig, these are the kinds of answers you get. But this is a very existential answer. This is not the answer you give when you feel that your belief holds propositional value. We thus see that "belief" in today's religions often means something very different than the straightforward idea of "acceptance of a proposition as true" that it means elsewhere and that it used to mean in religion long ago. Religion as being propositional has all but died in the West.

So I ask, will this trend continue? What do you think will be the future of religion? I see 5 possibilities.

1. Religion dies out totally and we all tend toward a kind of Star Trek humanism. Militant atheism also dies, because militant atheism is simply a reaction to the presence of theism. Instead, everyone is an atheist, so non-belief in god is simply taken as the uncontroversial default.

2. Pantheism takes over. Pantheism is a naturalistic worldview, but one where the universe takes on a spiritual nature. This is Spinoza and Einstein's god. This is "cosmic religion."

3. Non-theistic polytheism. People come to believe that, of course the gods don't literally exist, but the personification of various aspects of nature and society, combined with mythology surrounding said characters, is seen to fulfill a vital mythic role in society. In this system, there are plenty of gods and goddesses, but no one actually believes they exist literally. Instead, mythos is treated in a very classical sense, as it was by the later Athenians.

4. New age bullshit takes over. This desperate need to believe in "something more" beyond material reality persists after the death of religion, but people fill the void with incoherent nonsense about "quantum" this and "holistic" that.

5. Religion truly revives, taking its original place as a set of literal correspondence beliefs. Note that this does not necessarily mean that Christianity revives. It could be that a new religion comes to replace Christianity, like Islam, or some brand new religion not yet invented.

So NSG, what do you think the future of religion is? Do you think Nietzsche was right, that god is fundamentally dead, but that society simply hasn't realized it en masse yet? Or is he wrong, and religion is bound to flourish in legitimate form once again?

Mixture of options one and five: Most humans forfeit religion and become atheist, but those who stay theist become very devout.
Республіка Рюрідова - Королівство Вілкія
"For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat; I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink; I was a stranger and you invited me in; I needed clothes and you clothed me; I was sick and you looked after me; I was in prison and you came to visit me... Truly, whatever you did for one of the least of my brothers and sisters, you did for me."
- the Gospel of Matthew, 25:35-40

Menassa
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Menassa » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:28 pm

Judaism will (at leas I believe) last forever it's already lasted about 2000 years
through thick and thin
but mostly thick.
Remember what Amalek did to you on your journey --- Do not Forget!
Their hollow inheritance.
This is my god and I shall exalt him
Jewish Discussion Thread בְּ
"A missionary uses the Bible like a drunk uses a lamppost, not so much for illumination, but for support"
"Imagine of a bunch of Zulu tribesmen told Congress how to read the Constitution, that's how it feels to a Jew when you tell us how to read our bible"
"God said: you must teach, as I taught, without a fee."
"Against your will you are formed, against your will you are born, against your will you live, against your will you die, and against your will you are destined to give a judgement and accounting before the king, king of all kings..."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General