NATION

PASSWORD

Is the word Abo racist? (also about other racist words)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Is "Abo" racist

Yes
20%
No
39%
I don't know enough about the issue to judge
33%
Other (explain)
7%

Total votes : 108

Ceannairceach
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ceannairceach » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Magnum Ultra wrote:Its not racist. Just an abbreviation.

Ah, you mean like "spic"?

@}-;-'---

"But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most..." -Mark Twain

Al-Harakut al-Islami
Minister

Founded: Dec 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Harakut al-Islami » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:
Al-Harakut al-Islami wrote:I'm not sure.

Americans don't get offended by being called Yanks, people from England don't mind being called Brits, and Australians don't care if you call them Aussies.

However, Russians don't like being called Russkies, Germans get offended if you call them Krauts, and it's considered poor taste to call someone from England a Limey.

As a Bavarian-American, I can say that kraut is indeed offensive to my relatives in Europe. However, that's because it was frequently used in anti-German propaganda during the War.

As an American, I don't care much if I'm called a Yank.

However, as a Pakistani/Turk/Arab/Persian, I would be totally offended if someone I didn't know called me a wog.
Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Can you imagine how awkward that would be?

"Mom, Dad... I'm an owl."

"Wha... what?!"

"I know, I know. I..."

"Can you stop being an owl?"

"Mom, it's not a choice."

"NO SON OF MINE CAN BE AN OWL!"

"Dad! It's not even physically possible! Christ, how can you be racist against something you didn't know existed until 5 seconds ago?!"

"Do you have an owlfriend?"

"Yes Mom. His name is Damien."
NS's resident Islamist.

I'm a proud American, sweetheart. And a weeaboo and a brony.
I~ Use~ Tildes~ When~ I~ Write~

Check out my dA: http://sharpieinkedcupcakes.deviantart.com/

MEMBER OF THE COALITION OF PONYIST STATES~

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:46 pm

Forster Keys wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:
Does it make you feel as bad as I do? I used to sing that song in kindy :(

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I sang the clean PC version. :p

Though I would be asking Mr Harris why he worded it how he did:

Let me Abos go loose, Lew
Let me Abos go loose
They're of no further use, Lew
So let me Abos go loose.

Yeah, a little sus.

I want to see the rest of his catalogue. I'm floored tbqh. I will be having strong words with old Rolf if I ever meet him.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Cromarty
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 09, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Cromarty » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:46 pm

Al-Harakut al-Islami wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:
As a Bavarian-American, I can say that kraut is indeed offensive to my relatives in Europe. However, that's because it was frequently used in anti-German propaganda during the War.

However, as a Pakistani/Turk/Arab/Persian, I would be totally offended if someone I didn't know called me a wog.

Especially as they'd be using the word wrongly.
Cerian Quilor wrote:There's a difference between breaking the rules, and being well....Cromarty...
<Koth>all sexual orientations must unite under the relative sexiness of madjack
Former Delegate of Osiris
Brommander of the Cartan Militia: They're Taking The Cartans To Isengard!
Кромартий

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:48 pm

Dennaville wrote:I guess im a yank and if abo is in the same context then no i dnt find it racist. Yank has never upset me i guess i never thought of it as a slur. In fact i find it some what odd that it would b thought of as such.

Here's a clue. Read the thread. It's not like Yank, or Brit, or Aussie. It's generally considered offensive, and mostly because of how it is used.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.

Carmadin
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Carmadin » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:50 pm

I had never heard about the issue till now O_o

Dont know how its pronounced in this brouhaha,but

Abo

(ahb-OH)

is actually a city in Carmadin :)
<PIS>: You say boom. I worry
4th Place in the Kickball World Championships. Reached the Ro16 in the 12th World Lacrosse Championships. Ranked 19th In the World for Lacrosse. Currently ranked 12th in the World in Babbage Rules. Accepted to CoH's 49-51. Quarterfinals in Beach Cup V. Gold Medal in Kemelilui at the I World Games. Co-creator of Kemelilui, included in XKorinate 0.3.3. Champions, Campeonato Rushmori Juvenil Sub-17. Champions, Lake Moritz Curling Gloriakos. Third Place, Copa Rushmori VII. My KPB Rank is as follows: #43, 16.23
WHF 9: 10th place with 16 points
Help create a new sport!
Copa de Mercury
Embassy Program
Я люблю Україну!

Schwabenreich
Minister

Founded: Nov 24, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Schwabenreich » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:52 pm

They can call us all sorts of terms relating to our pigmentation, one that can sometimes be heard heard certain communities of aboriginals is 'white fella' I don't think they're in much of a position to protest the shortening of aboriginal yet not the full word itself. However, in the act of sensitivity, best just to avoid using it. So far I've managed to avoid actually using any language to refer to ethnic identity other then australian with aboriginals. If you want to play it safe and somehow have to draw attention to their race/culture, aboriginal or indigenous australian seems best though oddly I've heard them protest to both (not personally, but on media and the internet), however one of the two should work. I don't understand why abo irks them but I suppose it could be used derogatorily, considering how easy it is to pronounce it would be convenient for people to use it that way. Most encounters with.. uh.. outspoken racists probably involved abo rather then them going to the trouble to draw it out to aboriginal.
"The sovereign represents the state; he and his people form but one body, which can only be happy as far as united by concord. The prince is to a nation he governs, what a head is to a man; it is his duty to see, think and act for the whole community, that he may procure it every advantage of which it is capable."-Friedrich der Große

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:52 pm

New Embossia wrote:I'm Mexican, German-Irish, Spanish and Samoan. I've been called cracker, Beaner, Nazi, Hitler, and Coconut.

It's just not that racist to me. Either that or most people who say "MOFO U RACIST! DONT CALL ME CHINK!" Are just pussies. (<<No flame intended).

I thought coconut was Fijian!
Kalaspia-Shimarata's flag represents the Union between K&S. The dark blue represents the sea and the light blue represents the sky. In Kalashi language considers light blue and dark blue to be different colours. England colonised, and unified K&S, between 1774 and 1953, and English, light blue and dark blue are considered to be the same colour. Therefore, the contrast between dark blue and light blue represents the union, but the differences between K&S where as blue being two but simultaneously one colour represents K&S being two, but simultaniously one entity. The opposite to the symmetry represents the unity and indipendance of K&S, whilst also representing the Kalashi culture of opposite symmetry.KS is 75% Christian, hence the cross.

Neo Arcad
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 29, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Neo Arcad » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:52 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:

Yeah, that's exactly like calling me a kraut, a Nazi, or "Hitler"... not only is it ignorant, it's racist.
Ostroeuropa wrote:Two shirtless men on a pushback with handlebar moustaches and a kettle conquered India, at 17:04 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. They rolled the bike up the hill and demanded that the natives set about acquiring bureaucratic records.

Des-Bal wrote:Modern politics is a series of assholes and liars trying to be more angry than each other until someone lets a racist epithet slip and they all scatter like roaches.

NSLV wrote:Introducing the new political text from acclaimed author/yak, NEO ARCAD, an exploration of nuclear power in the Middle East and Asia, "Nuclear Penis: He Won't Call You Again".

This is the best region ever. You know you want it.

Al-Harakut al-Islami
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Harakut al-Islami » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:59 pm

Cromarty wrote:

Especially as they'd be using the word wrongly.

Would they be? As far as I know, it's a slur against all brown people.

"Wha... what?!"

"I know, I know. I..."

"Dad! It's not even physically possible! Christ, how can you be racist against something you didn't know existed until 5 seconds ago?!"

NS's resident Islamist.

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:00 pm

Schwabenreich wrote:They can call us all sorts of terms relating to our pigmentation, one that can sometimes be heard heard certain communities of aboriginals is 'white fella' I don't think they're in much of a position to protest the shortening of aboriginal yet not the full word itself. However, in the act of sensitivity, best just to avoid using it. So far I've managed to avoid actually using any language to refer to ethnic identity other then australian with aboriginals. If you want to play it safe and somehow have to draw attention to their race/culture, aboriginal or indigenous australian seems best though oddly I've heard them protest to both (not personally, but on media and the internet), however one of the two should work. I don't understand why abo irks them but I suppose it could be used derogatorily, considering how easy it is to pronounce it would be convenient for people to use it that way. Most encounters with.. uh.. outspoken racists probably involved abo rather then them going to the trouble to draw it out to aboriginal.

The indigenous people that I know actually don't have a problem with the use of the word blackfella, the equivalent of whitefella. Of course, my experience cannot speak for all. But the reason they don't like Abo is because of how it has been used. Much as I don't really understand what all the fuss about Indian in the US and Canada is about, I respect that the cultural context of the word is obviously volatile enough that I'm missing something.

It irks them because traditionally it is used in a derogatory fashion. I have never, ever heard someone use Abo, in the same way that they use Aussie. It's completely different.

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:05 pm

Neo Arcad wrote:

Wog is only sometimes offensive. As an Australian, you can call me Aussie as much as you like, but never, ever call me skip, but as a Greek, you can call me wog, but only depending on the way you use it
Kalaspia-Shimarata's flag represents the Union between K&S. The dark blue represents the sea and the light blue represents the sky. In Kalashi language considers light blue and dark blue to be different colours. England colonised, and unified K&S, between 1774 and 1953, and English, light blue and dark blue are considered to be the same colour. Therefore, the contrast between dark blue and light blue represents the union, but the differences between K&S where as blue being two but simultaneously one colour represents K&S being two, but simultaniously one entity. The opposite to the symmetry represents the unity and indipendance of K&S, whilst also representing the Kalashi culture of opposite symmetry.KS is 75% Christian, hence the cross.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:10 pm

Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:

Wog is only sometimes offensive. As an Australian, you can call me Aussie as much as you like, but never, ever call me skip, but as a Greek, you can call me wog, but only depending on the way you use it

Don't worry. I won't. Skip means an Australian who's of Anglo-Celtic origin. Usually synonymous with the term 'Anglo'. I'm probably what you'd call a skip. I understand why it's inaccurate, since all of your grandparents were born in Greece IIRC. But why is it so offensive?
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Osterveim
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Osterveim » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:12 pm

no idea, I've never heard it used. It's in Wikipedia's list of racial slurs.
Recently returned after some years away, cringing at my old forum posts

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:13 pm

Forster Keys wrote:
Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:Wog is only sometimes offensive. As an Australian, you can call me Aussie as much as you like, but never, ever call me skip, but as a Greek, you can call me wog, but only depending on the way you use it

Don't worry. I won't. Skip means an Australian who's of Anglo-Celtic origin. Usually synonymous with the term 'Anglo'. I'm probably what you'd call a skip. I understand why it's inaccurate, since all of your grandparents were born in Greece IIRC. But why is it so offensive?

I am aware that my grandparents called all the Aussies skips after skippy the bush kangaroo when they came here as the Aussies called them WOGs. Whether or not I'm skip is irrelivent. Please re-read the context of that post so you can understand the point I'm trying to get across!

Hydesland
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 28, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Hydesland » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:14 pm

I don't think it's useful to describe any word in isolation as racist, in most cases. It depends on the context and the intention etc...

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:17 pm

Forster Keys wrote:

I am aware that my grandparents called all the Aussies skips after skippy the bush kangaroo when they came here as the Aussies called them WOGs. Whether or not I'm skip is irrelivent. Please re-read the context of that post so you can understand the point I'm trying to get across!

It's not really helping. Sorry.
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

St Joanne
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby St Joanne » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:17 pm

I consider it non-racist.
Actually, I consider practically anything verbal non-racist.
Why? It cant be racist if only idiots say it is.
And your an idiot if you say it is, because you have to get out of your way to feel offended from a word.
And to clear anything up before people call me hypocrite, Ive had my share of racial shots at me, and I actually feel superior to the people who say it to me.
Proud Texan.
'pperantly some Northern people are still living in the civil war times, and are thus racist by thinking Im racist. Also think Im stupid and ignorant.
Gotta love irony, eh?
“The difference between a neurotic, a psychotic, and a psychiatrist. The neurotic builds castles in the sky, the psychotic lives in them and the psychiatrist collects the rent.”
Anonymous
Economic-Left/Right: -4.62
Social-Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.92

Conserative Morality
Post Kaiser

Founded: Aug 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Conserative Morality » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:19 pm

St Joanne wrote:I consider it non-racist.
And your an idiot if you say it is, because you have to get out of your way to feel offended from a word.
And to clear anything up before people call me hypocrite, Ive had my share of racial shots at me, and I actually feel superior to the people who say it to me.
Proud Texan.
'pperantly some Northern people are still living in the civil war times, and are thus racist by thinking Im racist. Also think Im stupid and ignorant.
Gotta love irony, eh?

Texans are a race now?
On the hate train. Choo choo, bitches. Bi-Polar. Proud Crypto-Fascist and Turbo Progressive. Dirty Étatist. Lowly Humanities Major. NSG's Best Liberal.
Caesar and Imperator of RWDT
Got a blog up again. || An NS Writing Discussion

Trixiestan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Trixiestan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:20 pm

Yes, abo is racist.
My Last.FM.
(Feel free to make flag requests)

Economic Left/Right: -8.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.67

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:22 pm

Forster Keys wrote:
Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote:I am aware that my grandparents called all the Aussies skips after skippy the bush kangaroo when they came here as the Aussies called them WOGs. Whether or not I'm skip is irrelivent. Please re-read the context of that post so you can understand the point I'm trying to get across!

:palm: By the way, skip is offensive but I don't know why, it just is, like nigger

Al-Harakut al-Islami
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Al-Harakut al-Islami » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:28 pm

St Joanne wrote:I consider it non-racist.
Proud Texan.
Gotta love irony, eh?

So...you don't think that the word n!gger is racist?

"Wha... what?!"

"I know, I know. I..."

NS's resident Islamist.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:30 pm

Forster Keys wrote:

:palm: By the way, skip is offensive but I don't know why, it just is, like nigger

That's quite rude. I was trying to explain that your comment made little sense to me as politely as possible.

And they're not comparable at all, it's a fairly lightweight slur as far as they go, in line with limey AFAIK. I'm a skip, and not offended by the word.

Trixiestan
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 12, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Trixiestan » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:31 pm

Forster Keys wrote:

And Abo isn't?

http://www.creativespirits.info/aborigi ... acism.html

Racism in the arts—a window into the past

In 1957 Rolf Harris, then 27, wrote the song 'Tie Me Kangaroo Down, Sport' which became a number one hit in Australia. The song was originally made of seven verses and the chorus. The sixth verse went as follows [20]:

Let me Abos go loose, Lou,
Let me Abos go loose.
They're of no further use, Lou,
So let me Abos go loose.
Altogether now!

'Abo' is a derogatory term for Aboriginal people. In the context of the song the above verse becomes even more racist because almost all other verses are about animals which are to be let lose after the drover's death the song is about.

Because of the racist term used the song was banned in Singapore. In some versions 'Abo' got replaced with 'emu' [19].

http://www.encyclo.co.uk/define/ABO
Abo
Abo is derogatory Australian slang for an aboriginal.
Found on http://www.probertencyclopaedia.com/brow

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ethnic_slurs
Abo/Abbo
(AUS) Australian Aboriginal person. Originally, this was simply an informal term for Aborigine, and was in fact used by Aboriginal people themselves until it started to be considered offensive in 1950s. In remoter areas, Aboriginal people still often refer to themselves (quite neutrally) as Blackfellas (and whites as Whitefellas). Although Abo is still considered quite offensive by many, the pejorative boong is now more commonly used when the intent is to deliberately offend, as that word's status as an insult is unequivocal.[4]

(The source for that latter wiki quote is from "Bruce Moore (editor), The Australian Oxford Dictionary, (2004) p. 3.")

I'd like to point out that yes, Skip is listed as an ethnic slur on that wiki article as well.
My Last.FM.
(Feel free to make flag requests)

Economic Left/Right: -8.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.67

Kalaspia-Shimarata
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kalaspia-Shimarata » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:43 pm

Forster Keys wrote:
Kalaspia-Shimarata wrote: :palm: By the way, skip is offensive but I don't know why, it just is, like nigger

That's quite rude. I was trying to explain that your comment made little sense to me as politely as possible.

And they're not comparable at all, it's a fairly lightweight slur as far as they go, in line with limey AFAIK. I'm a skip, and not offended by the word.

Well I'm sorry I offended you! I'm really sorry and I did not intend to. And the reason why you are not offended by skip is because us Aussies have a great sence of humor. Take that away and you would be. Btw, I'm sorry I offended you!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General