NATION

PASSWORD

To collar or not to collar? (your pets)

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Founded: Feb 10, 2008
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

To collar or not to collar? (your pets)

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:17 pm

My mother has two dogs. Neither of which is collared.

Recently, a friend of hers, who's studying to become a vet, told my mother that it was neglectful of hers not to have either dog collared. But my mother thinks collaring a pet is rather cruel. She sees no point in fastening a chain/leather collar around the pet's neck.

All the papers concerning shots and parasite treatments of the dogs is current, so she sees no reason to collar. More-so, where she resides, there doesn't seem to be any laws against collared or un-collared pets. The dogs are kept indoors and, when they're walked, they have harnesses fastened to their backs, which seems to be more comfortable for them.

My question to NSG is: do you think pets need to be collared? Yes or no and why?

There are pros, I don't deny it. If the dogs get lost, a collar could help in finding them. A collared pet also identifies the animal as owned and not a stray.

Cons, there are some of those too. If the collar is not appropriate, it could dig into the skin and cause a wound. A tight collar could also make a pet uncomfortable.
Last edited by Nanatsu no Tsuki on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slava Ukraini
Also: THERNSY!!
Your story isn't over;֍Help save transgender people's lives֍Help for feral cats
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs
RIP: Dyakovo & Ashmoria

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:20 pm

I think if you give a minimal amount of effort, you can find a collar that is comfortable for your pet. You shouldn't rely on luck. It's wise to properly identify them, especially in a culture where stray dogs (and those mistaken for stray dogs) don't meet the kindest of fates.
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Forster Keys
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Forster Keys » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:21 pm

I'm really glad this turned out as innocent as it did. :s
The blue sky above beckons us to take our freedom, to paint our path across its vastness. Across a million blades of grass, through the roars of our elation and a thousand thundering hooves, we begin our reply.

Anitgrum
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Anitgrum » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:My mother has two dogs. Neither of which is collared.

Recently, a friend of hers, who's studying to become a vet, told my mother that it was neglectful of hers not to have either dog collared. But my mother thinks collaring a pet is rather cruel. She sees no point in fastening a chain/leather collar around the pet's neck.

All the papers concerning shots and parasite treatments of the dogs is current, so she sees no reason to collar. More-so, where she resides, there doesn't seem to be any laws against collared or un-collared pets. The dogs are kept indoors and, when they're walked, they have harnesses fastened to their backs, which seems to be more comfortable for them.

My question to NSG is: do you think pets need to be collared? Yes or no and why?

There are pros, I don't deny it. If the dogs get lost, a collar could help in finding them. A collared pet also identifies the animal as owned and not a stray.

Cons, there are some of those too. If the collar is not appropriate, it could dig into the skin and cause a wound. A tight collar could also make a pet uncomfortable.

Well if they are going outside it makes sense they should have some identification on them so they are easier to find if they run away. Also it provide a defense form dog attacks. While the dog is indoors there really isn't a need.
Last edited by Anitgrum on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Auremena
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Auremena » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Hey, some people like collars too.
As long as it's not to the point of choking I don't see the problem.
NS's aviation and train sabelotodo.
Post-left anarchist and sad about it.
Killdash, Firsthome, Coffee Cakes, SSC, GCoCS, Snowy, Val, Aeqy, and Replevion are my bitches.
Foot worshipper: Lutvikkia. Dakky's mom, I had her with Nana.
The female Jim Morrison; not as talented, but just as attractive and self destructive. The one true heir to the throne of the Lizard King.
Some poetry I write sometimes
Tearing the MBTA a new one since 2014. The MTA too since 2016. Cover the world in trains 2030
COYS!

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:23 pm

In the US the identification is on the collar.
If the dog gets loose, the collar is what keeps the pound from fast tracking the animal to be put to sleep.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:23 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:I think if you give a minimal amount of effort, you can find a collar that is comfortable for your pet. You shouldn't rely on luck. It's wise to properly identify them, especially in a culture where stray dogs (and those mistaken for stray dogs) don't meet the kindest of fates.

Even dogs that are kept indoors? What purpose would a collar serve?
Slava Ukraini
Cat with internet access||Supposedly heartless, & a d*ck.||Is maith an t-earra an tsíocháin.||No TGs

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Auremena wrote:Hey, some people like collars too.

This thread is not about people who like collars for themselves, though.
Slava Ukraini

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:25 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:I think if you give a minimal amount of effort, you can find a collar that is comfortable for your pet. You shouldn't rely on luck. It's wise to properly identify them, especially in a culture where stray dogs (and those mistaken for stray dogs) don't meet the kindest of fates.

What if a kid leaves the door open ?
Or an aging parent.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:26 pm

greed and death wrote:In the US the identification is on the collar.
If the dog gets loose, the collar is what keeps the pound from fast tracking the animal to be put to sleep.

I don't fail to realize this. However, even dogs that are collared can be put to sleep at the pound if they're not reclaimed.
Slava Ukraini

Gauntleted Fist
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Gauntleted Fist » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:27 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I always thought the point of making sure animals were identifiable was in-case they managed to not be in-doors like they are supposed to be in this case?

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:27 pm

greed and death wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

What if a kid leaves the door open ?
Or an aging parent.

Well, my mother's apartment has a gated door. They can still leave the door open and the dogs won't get out. Not to mention, that one of them doesn't know how to go downstairs.
Slava Ukraini

Imsogone
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Imsogone » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:28 pm

She needs to buy an appropriate collar. If she's afraid that the dog might get hung up on something and choke, there are breakaway collars. It shouldn't be hard to find one that fits, or can be made to fit, correctly. A dog without a collar is easier prey than one with - thieves (particularly those a..holes who steal dogs for the purpose of dogfighting) will pick them up and without collars, chips and other forms of id. you've lost a dog - frequently to a cruel end.
"Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly" - Morticia Adams.

Auremena
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Auremena » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Auremena wrote:Hey, some people like collars too.
This thread is not about people who like collars for themselves, though.
It was meant as a little humour. I'm trying to repress my angst in little ways.
Back on topic, IMO, identification is important, as most people carry some sort of ID card (although I usually forget to take mine with me), a pet should have similar, whether it's a tag on a collar or whatever else that I can't think of ATM.
NS's aviation and train sabelotodo.
Post-left anarchist and sad about it.
Killdash, Firsthome, Coffee Cakes, SSC, GCoCS, Snowy, Val, Aeqy, and Replevion are my bitches.
Foot worshipper: Lutvikkia. Dakky's mom, I had her with Nana.
The female Jim Morrison; not as talented, but just as attractive and self destructive. The one true heir to the throne of the Lizard King.
Some poetry I write sometimes
Tearing the MBTA a new one since 2014. The MTA too since 2016. Cover the world in trains 2030
COYS!

Abaven
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Abaven » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Well, I collar my dogs. I don't see how it's cruel, though, as they all fit loosely and well. They're kind of necessary because they've got identification and rabies shot certification and such on them.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Gauntleted Fist wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

I always thought the point of making sure animals were identifiable was in-case they managed to not be in-doors like they are supposed to be in this case?

They are indoors. Yet, the lady studying to become a vet told my mom she was being neglectful by not collaring her dogs.
Slava Ukraini

Bombadil
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 13, 2011

Postby Bombadil » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:29 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
greed and death wrote:What if a kid leaves the door open ?
Or an aging parent.

Well, my mother's apartment has a gated door. They can still leave the door open and the dogs won't get out. Not to mention, that one of them doesn't know how to go downstairs.

Well if you're more than certain the dog won't escape then don't put a collar on it. I don't think this is an either/or question, personally I suspect it's simply safer to keep the collar on but whatever works. I don't think dogs care one way or another given time.
Last edited by Bombadil on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eldest, that's what I am...Tom remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn...he knew the dark under the stars when it was fearless — before the Dark Lord came from Outside..

十年

Seperates
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Seperates » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:29 pm

The real question is why you don't have cats, who will actually come back from being outside.
This Debate is simply an exercise in Rhetoric. Truth is a fickle being with no intentions of showing itself today.

Non fui, fui, non sum, non curo

"The most important fact about us: that we are greater than the institutions and cultures we build."--Roberto Mangabeira Unger

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:30 pm

Imsogone wrote:She needs to buy an appropriate collar. If she's afraid that the dog might get hung up on something and choke, there are breakaway collars. It shouldn't be hard to find one that fits, or can be made to fit, correctly. A dog without a collar is easier prey than one with - thieves (particularly those a..holes who steal dogs for the purpose of dogfighting) will pick them up and without collars, chips and other forms of id. you've lost a dog - frequently to a cruel end.

I get what you say.

But I do find humorous the idea of dog thieves putting my mom's miniature Daschunds to fight. :p
Slava Ukraini

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:31 pm

Seperates wrote:The real question is why you don't have cats, who will actually come back from being outside.

Er, I had cats. My mom though is not a cat person.
Slava Ukraini

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:34 pm

Abaven wrote:Well, I collar my dogs. I don't see how it's cruel, though, as they all fit loosely and well. They're kind of necessary because they've got identification and rabies shot certification and such on them.

I personally prefer, in that case, the harness collar. It seems to be far more comfortable for the pet.
Slava Ukraini

Abaven
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Abaven » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:36 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Abaven wrote:Well, I collar my dogs. I don't see how it's cruel, though, as they all fit loosely and well. They're kind of necessary because they've got identification and rabies shot certification and such on them.

I personally prefer, in that case, the harness collar. It seems to be far more comfortable for the pet.

Ah. I actually have a few of those, although my shepherd will not stand for them. My smaller dogs seem to like them alright, though, so I'll do that when I'm walking them.

Anitgrum
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Anitgrum » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:37 pm

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Imsogone wrote:She needs to buy an appropriate collar. If she's afraid that the dog might get hung up on something and choke, there are breakaway collars. It shouldn't be hard to find one that fits, or can be made to fit, correctly. A dog without a collar is easier prey than one with - thieves (particularly those a..holes who steal dogs for the purpose of dogfighting) will pick them up and without collars, chips and other forms of id. you've lost a dog - frequently to a cruel end.

I get what you say.

But I do find humorous the idea of dog thieves putting my mom's miniature Daschunds to fight. :p

LOL. No I was thinking more along the line of another attack your dog while you happen to be walking them.

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:37 pm

Abaven wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Ah. I actually have a few of those, although my shepherd will not stand for them. My smaller dogs seem to like them alright, though, so I'll do that when I'm walking them.

Those are the ones my mom uses for her miniature Daschunds.
Slava Ukraini

Nanatsu no Tsuki
Post-Apocalypse Survivor

Postby Nanatsu no Tsuki » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:39 pm

Anitgrum wrote:
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
I get what you say.

LOL. No I was thinking more along the line of another attack your dog while you happen to be walking them.

Yes, that could be a risk. But that hasn't happened to them where she resides. Not it couldn't happen, mind.

But I do wonder. Such a small dog can't really sport one of those spiked collars one sees in bigger breeds.
Slava Ukraini

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General