NATION

PASSWORD

Whats the best Social Network Service??

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Facebook
69%
MySpace
6%
Twitter
No votes
Friendster
No votes
Other (pls state)
25%

Total votes : 16

Burchadinger
Minister

Founded: Jun 12, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Burchadinger » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:05 am

I like Facebook, but its only because I don't have MySpace etc. :lol:
Runners Up - DBC XXV
Third Place - AOCAF XXXIII

Call me Burch and not Burcha

Pure Metal
Envoy

Founded: Apr 07, 2004
Ex-Nation

Re: Whats the best Social Network Service??

Postby Pure Metal » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:18 am

used Myspace, but didn't see much of a point... unless you like waiting days for other people's hideous, malformed pages full of shitty animated graphics and embedded videos to load. it was like stepping back into the internet of the 90's again.

Twitter seems pretty useless to me, as i don't have an inflated sense of self-importance enough to think my everyday life is interesting to anyone else. plus i don't "follow" celebrities at all

Facebook is great though. it offers some of the microblogging shit offered by Twitter, but is only relevant to my friends and family, can organise events, keep up to date with people, share photos, has games and shit when you're bored, and everyone i know (apart from my parents and grandmother) is on there. i see no point in using anything else

never used Friendster.
+19,376ish posts
Economic Left/Right: -9.13 :: Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.82
Moral Order: -5 :: Moral Rules: +6.5
www.hljphotography.co.uk :: www.planetrock.com

EvilDarkMagicians
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby EvilDarkMagicians » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:25 am

Facebook...like twitter but with lots of extra features.
RESTRAUNT CITY FTW.

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Founded: Jun 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:59 am

Why would one use a SNS? If you have mail, irc and a webpage then you're having the same.

Besides, I have friends.

• Vote for The NationStates Razzies 2009
• Any similarities with reality is a mere coincidence
• No mods were harmed during the making of this posting
• Protégez les enfants: ne leur faites pas respirer votre commentaires`
• Quand tous les dégoûtés seront partis, il ne restera plus que les dégoûtants
• Please report me at the Moderation Section because I'm spoiling your day

Virtud Tierra
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Virtud Tierra » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:05 am

I use myspace to keep in touch with my obscure extended family members and friends that are scattered across the country. The sort that you don't really have reason to call on a frequent basis but would still like to know whats going on with them every 6 months or so.

Heronfield
Attaché

Founded: Sep 01, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Heronfield » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:08 am

I have a myspace, but I've forgotten my password, and I have a facebook but I only go on once every 6 months or so. I don't really like These sites.

Land of the Trolls
Spokesperson

Founded: May 03, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Land of the Trolls » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:09 am

Facebook. I've never tried MySpace or Friendster, and only birds "tweet".

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:27 am

I use Facebook to keep up with friends and family in the city now that I am in the country. I like it. It's great to have that instant communication with them as it makes the tyranny of distance that much easier (I'm 10 hours away from my hometown at the moment, for the next 3 years of my life). So I really appreciate and understand the benefits of social networking. Without it, I wouldn't be up to date with my friends and we would probably have grown apart within months. As it is, when we do see each other, its not like we have been apart for months. I've seen all their photos, their videos and have kept up to date with changes in their lives and careers that without Facebook may not have been communicated.

That's not to say that I don't involve myself in the rural community that I currently reside in. I am active in a range of community events, I am a Girl Guide Leader, and have made a few really good friends. But it's not the same as the place I left, and I really miss the hustle and bustle of the city, and the life I had.

So I find comments like yours, Hairless Kitten II quite offensive. Some people have truly valid reasons for using social networking, and to imply that those who use these services need friends is judgmental and ignores the variety of reasons that people have for utilising these types of services and the incalculable benefits they provide in keeping people connected, regardless of their circumstance.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:32 am

EvilDarkMagicians wrote:Facebook...like twitter but with lots of extra features.
RESTRAUNT CITY FTW.

:clap: I love Geo-Challenge too...
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Hairless Kitten II
Senator

Founded: Jun 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hairless Kitten II » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:33 am

Saint Jade IV wrote:I use Facebook to keep up with friends and family in the city now that I am in the country. I like it. It's great to have that instant communication with them as it makes the tyranny of distance that much easier (I'm 10 hours away from my hometown at the moment, for the next 3 years of my life). So I really appreciate and understand the benefits of social networking. Without it, I wouldn't be up to date with my friends and we would probably have grown apart within months. As it is, when we do see each other, its not like we have been apart for months. I've seen all their photos, their videos and have kept up to date with changes in their lives and careers that without Facebook may not have been communicated.

That's not to say that I don't involve myself in the rural community that I currently reside in. I am active in a range of community events, I am a Girl Guide Leader, and have made a few really good friends. But it's not the same as the place I left, and I really miss the hustle and bustle of the city, and the life I had.

So I find comments like yours, Hairless Kitten II quite offensive. Some people have truly valid reasons for using social networking, and to imply that those who use these services need friends is judgmental and ignores the variety of reasons that people have for utilising these types of services and the incalculable benefits they provide in keeping people connected, regardless of their circumstance.

Some do yes. But most don't. They just follow the hype.

Why don't you use a simple mail? You can attach pictures & sounds. And if your news is that important you could have a look at the CC line for expressing your feelings to all your friends.

• Vote for The NationStates Razzies 2009
• Any similarities with reality is a mere coincidence
• No mods were harmed during the making of this posting
• Protégez les enfants: ne leur faites pas respirer votre commentaires`
• Quand tous les dégoûtés seront partis, il ne restera plus que les dégoûtants
• Please report me at the Moderation Section because I'm spoiling your day

Saint Jade IV
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Saint Jade IV » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:41 am

Hairless Kitten II wrote:
Saint Jade IV wrote:I use Facebook to keep up with friends and family in the city now that I am in the country. I like it. It's great to have that instant communication with them as it makes the tyranny of distance that much easier (I'm 10 hours away from my hometown at the moment, for the next 3 years of my life). So I really appreciate and understand the benefits of social networking. Without it, I wouldn't be up to date with my friends and we would probably have grown apart within months. As it is, when we do see each other, its not like we have been apart for months. I've seen all their photos, their videos and have kept up to date with changes in their lives and careers that without Facebook may not have been communicated.

Some do yes. But most don't. They just follow the hype.

Why don't you use a simple mail? You can attach pictures & sounds. And if your news is that important you could have a look at the CC line for expressing your feelings to all your friends.

Because I don't choose to. Because I find it far easier to simply login to Facebook and see what my friends have been up to over the past few days and replying to them. I like the chat function, which means that if a friend is online, I can chat to them without running up my phone bill. I have a lot of reasons.

Furthermore, unless you have surveyed a statistically significant proportion of Facebook users or can provide surveys proving that "most are only doing it to follow the hype" I'll conclude that you are talking out of your arse and judging the motivations of users of these sites based on your own prejudices, and not on facts.
When you grow up, your heart dies.
It's my estimation that every man ever got a statue made of him was one kind of son of a b*tch or another.
RIP Dyakovo...we are all poorer for your loss.

SD_Film Artists
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 10, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby SD_Film Artists » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:44 am

Deviant Art.
Lurking NSG since 2005
Economic Left/Right: -2.62, Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67

When anybody preaches disunity, tries to pit one of us against each other through class warfare, race hatred, or religious intolerance, you know that person seeks to rob us of our freedom and destroy our very lives.

Kanabia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 08, 2003
Ex-Nation

Postby Kanabia » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:58 am

Pure Metal wrote:used Myspace, but didn't see much of a point... unless you like waiting days for other people's hideous, malformed pages full of shitty animated graphics and embedded videos to load. it was like stepping back into the internet of the 90's again.

Yeah, ugh.

Ryuugu
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ryuugu » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:31 am

None. I find social networking to be incredibly invasive.
''Voilà, ma petite Amélie, vous n'avez pas des os en verre. Vous pouvez vous cogner à la vie. Si vous laissez passer cette chance, alors avec le temps, c'est votre c'ur qui va devenir aussi sec et cassant que mon squelette. Alors, allez y, nom d'un chien!''-Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain

-Clarification of the day: Not a 'Nanatsu no Tsuki' puppet.-

RoI2
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby RoI2 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:36 am

MyFace.
CI
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.97
Add 3399 to post count + 860
RIP RoI 22Feb - 20Aug '09

Smunkeeville
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Smunkeeville » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:44 am

Hairless Kitten II wrote:Why would one use a SNS? If you have mail, irc and a webpage then you're having the same.

Besides, I have friends.

The great thing about facebook is I can tier my friends/associates as to what they have access to. My professional associates can see certain photo albums but not others, they can't see what my friend write on my wall, they can't see my notes. My family can see my kid's photo albums but not ones of my friends and some of my friends can't see the photo albums containing my kids. Some of my friends can write on my wall and others can't (you know the ones who would write stupid shit aren't allowed to) and it's all in one nifty little web space. I don't have to worry about giving my contact out, I know that if I want them to see it I have to approve them, and when I do that I change their settings to my comfort level, it's very "set it and forget it".....

When I meet new people they say "do you have facebook?" and I do, I use it to network with old friends, new friends, prospective clients, current clients, former work contacts and people who might be able to help me gain opportunities in the future.

I'm big on networking, it's served me well both personally and professionally.
"I like vacuuming, I find it cathartic. It's like I imagine all the people who tick me off being little pieces of lint and I'm sucking them up a tube into a vortex of terror, it's a healthy way to deal with my frustrations." - Smunkling, aged 8

Smunkeeville
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Smunkeeville » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:52 am

Hairless Kitten II wrote:Why don't you use a simple mail? You can attach pictures & sounds. And if your news is that important you could have a look at the CC line for expressing your feelings to all your friends.

That's great if you have unlimited time and/or about 3 friends. I have hundreds of people I'm trying to stay in contact with. Each of them on a different relational level, it's much easier to group them, post what I want and let them choose if they want to see it or not.

I loathe people who spam my inbox with "my pics from vacation", bullshit, I don't fucking care. I get on average 4500 emails a day, I have to respond to about 60% of them ASAP and at least another 20% within the week they are sent. It's SO much easier to spend 20 minutes on facebook catching up than it would be to read/download files/respond to individual emails. (not to mention most people also don't have time to send them, so I would lose touch with many people I need to keep in touch with)
"I like vacuuming, I find it cathartic. It's like I imagine all the people who tick me off being little pieces of lint and I'm sucking them up a tube into a vortex of terror, it's a healthy way to deal with my frustrations." - Smunkling, aged 8

Behaved
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Behaved » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:58 am

Facebook I don't use the others.
meow meow

Meciene
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Meciene » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:58 am

I'd say Facebook.

Myspace was, well.. full of shitty animated graphics and music that sometimes make pages load slowly. Friendster is almost just the same thing.

Twitter was boring, and I seriously dont know how the 'Trendy Topics' sidebar works, and there's nothing else to do except to write a simple message in less than 130 characters (spacebar included).

Facebook has a microblogging facility, which deems Twitter useless. It also has no graphics that might ruin a very bad internet connection. It also has different applications, quizzes and games. (<3 Geo Challenge!) Everything is pretty much organised, and you don't even need to go to your friends home page to see what they had posted! (I usually post on the news feed)
The Free State Alliance of Meciene
Од Јие-ниеу Ентсаре Јансин ит Масуид||Масуиске

Embassy||First Mecian Airways||MeciFly||Jonder Yuaje International||Factbook
'cause cyrillic looks nicer than greek

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General