NATION

PASSWORD

Obama to Address Nation's Children in School

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2004
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:22 pm

Reagan States wrote:That's perfectly fine. Try to recognize that it was a bad joke and move on instead of going off on a completely different tangent.

Your whole argument has been a bad joke, it's impossible to differentiate the (alleged) humour you claim for that comment and everything else you've posted.

It's not off at a tangent, at all - the whole point is that the rightwing has done it's damnedest to censor Obama before he even spoke - worse, they've done so in an entirely partisan and hypocritical fashion.
I identify as
a problem

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:23 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Reagan States wrote:
Am I going to be outspoken about Reagan giving a speech to kids? No, that only hurts my own side. It doesn't mean I'm not concerned about it though.

Am I going to be outspoken about Obama giving a speech to kids? Yes, I want to hurt his side as much as possible. Obviously I am concerned about this.

Dude, this isn't Red Rover...

It is if you care more about political parties than about the greater good of the nation.
I identify as
a problem

Reagan States
Envoy

Founded: Mar 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Reagan States » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:24 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:
Reagan States wrote:
Grave_n_idle wrote:
Reagan States wrote:No, though I do assert that your concern about my concern is purely partisan.

Am I going to be outspoken about Reagan giving a speech to kids? No, that only hurts my own side. It doesn't mean I'm not concerned about it though.

Am I going to be outspoken about Obama giving a speech to kids? Yes, I want to hurt his side as much as possible. Obviously I am concerned about this.

:o

You don't admit that your concern is partisan..... but you do assert that your complaints are going to be shaped by not wanting to hurt 'your side', and by wanting to hurt 'his side'?

Is English a second language for you? Seriously?

Because I'm happy to expand on the definition of the word 'partisan' for you if I'm bombarding you with esoteric foreign terms.

Nope, keep twisting though. My outspoken concern and concerns I keep to myself are two entirely different things. I'm concerned that I have to might wet myself right now because I've really got to go, but am I going to announce that to the world? No. Am I still concerned about it? Yes.

There's nothing 'twisty' about it.

My question was about you being partisan -

Here are your words: "No... No, that only hurts my own side... Yes, I want to hurt his side as much as possible".

Your own words convict you. You are partisan. Worse - you are SAYING you're not partisan, in the same post you openly admit partisanship.

If you can't be consistent, at least be honest about it.

When did I EVER say I wasn't partisan? That is where you twist, because I am partisan. That doesn't mean I can't participate in a civil conversation without being blatant about it. I can admit that I feel concern about some things Reagan did, just as I can say I feel concern about some things Obama does.

But I'm not going to make a new thread to bash Reagan like I would for Obama.

Do you mean censuring, or censoring? Because the word you're using has a different meaning than the one GnI just used.

lol, "censoring" :palm:
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation which will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes.
Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:26 pm

Reagan States wrote:
Do you mean censuring, or censoring? Because the word you're using has a different meaning than the one GnI just used.

lol, "censoring" :palm:

:lol: Ok, good, your argument makes more sense now.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:28 pm

Reagan States wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Reagan States wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
Reagan States wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:Look again. :p

name-calling: grotesque, batshit, insanity...
rationale: ???

Who did I name?

You don't have to name anyone. You are classifying the whole idea with those names.

What idea did I name call then?

My argument.

Your argument was:

The Left was the chief opposition to things Reagan did. The Right is the chief opposition to things Obama does. It's quite simple.

My response was:

If that's correct, it's quite grotesque. I suspect it isn't though. I think it's an attempt to rationalize recent batshit insanity.

I wasn't calling your argument grotesque. I was calling it incorrect. I called the idea that the 'left' vs 'right' system works that way grotesque. That system wasn't your idea, so I feel I have every right to attack it. And if it IS originally your idea then you have a lot to answer for and the scrotum-seeking attack weasels will have to pay you a visit. Finally, I suggested that your argument was your attempt to rationalize other peoples' batshit insanity.

At no time were any name-calling directed at you, a specific group of people or your argument other than referring to it as not correct. If calling you wrong is name calling then these are going to be very short debates.
Life's Short. Munch Tacos.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Reagan States
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Reagan States » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:32 pm

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:
I wasn't calling your argument grotesque. I was calling it incorrect. I called the idea that the 'left' vs 'right' system works that way grotesque. That system wasn't your idea, so I feel I have every right to attack it. And if it IS originally your idea then you have a lot to answer for and the scrotum-seeking attack weasels will have to pay you a visit. Finally, I suggested that your argument was your attempt to rationalize other peoples' batshit insanity.

At no time were any name-calling directed at you, a specific group of people or your argument other than referring to it as not correct. If calling you wrong is name calling then these are going to be very short debates.

That is rationale. You have to provide that when you claim something is grotesque batshit insanity, because it's impossible to tell where it's directed.
My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation which will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:34 pm

Reagan States wrote:
Lunatic Goofballs wrote:

That is rationale. You have to provide that when you claim something is grotesque batshit insanity, because it's impossible to tell where it's directed.

Oh, I disagree. Even the Moderator knew where it was directed. :)

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
Hunter S. Thompson

Cannot think of a name
Post Czar

Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Cannot think of a name » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:34 pm

Reagan States wrote:That is rationale. You have to provide that when you claim something is grotesque batshit insanity, because it's impossible to tell where it's directed.

I don't think "impossible" means what you think it means.
"...I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in the stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Council-er or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I can't agree with your methods of direct action;" who paternalistically feels he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by the myth of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait until a "more convenient season." -MLK Jr.

Pevisopolis
Minister

Founded: Feb 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Pevisopolis » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:37 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:It is if you care more about political parties than about the greater good of the nation.

His mindset, evidently.

For the record, the page number of this monstrosity of a thread happens to be at the Meaning of Life right now. That's the main reason I'm even posting again.
Jesus God almighty man, look at that lot over there! They've spotted us!

Kryozerkia
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kryozerkia » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:37 pm

Let's try and stay on topic. The issue about name-calling seems to have been resolved. There is no need to continue to discuss it here.
Problem to Report?
Game-side: Getting Help
Forum-side: Moderation
Technical issue/suggestion: Technical
A-well-a, don't you know about the bird
♦ Well, everybody knows that the bird is the word ♦
♦ A-well-a, bird, bird, b-bird's the word

Get the cheese to Sickbay

"Ok folks, show's over... Nothing to see here... Show's OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Hey everybody, get a load of this flaming wreckage! Come on, crowd around, crowd around, don't be shy, crowd around!" -- Chief Wiggum

Reagan States
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Reagan States » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:38 pm

Cannot think of a name wrote:
Reagan States wrote:That is rationale. You have to provide that when you claim something is grotesque batshit insanity, because it's impossible hard to tell where it's directed.

I don't think "impossible" means what you think it means.

Fixed. Did you know exactly what Lunatic was talking about though before s/he clarified with that last post?

If calling you wrong is name calling then these are going to be very short debates.

If every post was like this:

If that's correct, it's quite grotesque. I suspect it isn't though. I think it's an attempt to rationalize recent batshit insanity.

A debate wouldn't last long at all. You are correct.

Lunatic Goofballs
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Lunatic Goofballs » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:47 pm

Kryozerkia wrote:Let's try and stay on topic. The issue about name-calling seems to have been resolved. There is no need to continue to discuss it here.

Resolved it is.

It probably would have been fixed before it even happened if there had been more preemptive outrage. :)

Hunter S. Thompson

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:48 pm

Okay, this is getting old. You say something - i call you on it, even quoting your exact words back to you - and you start asking for me to prove you said it.

This is a forum - people can SEE what you've written. I'll not be indulging any more of this nonsensical game.

Reagan States wrote:When did I EVER say I wasn't partisan?

My question: "So you admit your concern is purely partisan?"

Your answer "No".

So - you deny being partisan.

(However, in the SAME post, you are explicitly partisan. And I called you on that hypocrisy.)

Be hypocritical if you must, just don't rpetend you're not, and stop playing the games.
I identify as
a problem

Reagan States
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Reagan States » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:57 pm

Grave_n_idle wrote:Okay, this is getting old. You say something - i call you on it, even quoting your exact words back to you - and you start asking for me to prove you said it.

This is a forum - people can SEE what you've written. I'll not be indulging any more of this nonsensical game.

Reagan States wrote:When did I EVER say I wasn't partisan?

My question: "So you admit your concern is purely partisan?"

Your answer "No".

So - you deny being partisan.

(However, in the SAME post, you are explicitly partisan. And I called you on that hypocrisy.)

Be hypocritical if you must, just don't rpetend you're not, and stop playing the games.

Wow you even quote it for me. Very nice. How many times do I have to say that just because I am concerned, doesn't always mean I'm going to voice that concern?

If your question was "So you admit your voicing of your concern is a result of pure partisanship?"

My answer would have been: "yes"

And that should be the end of that...

Grave_n_idle
Post Czar

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Grave_n_idle » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:21 pm

Reagan States wrote:And that should be the end of that...

It should have ended before it had started. You shouldn't have been a hypcorite if you didn't want to get called on it. You certainly shouldn't have pretended you weren't and demanded proof, if you were going to keep the dishonest pretence up.
I identify as
a problem

Tunizcha
Senator

Founded: Mar 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tunizcha » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:37 pm

Today they required us to view the speech in class. Let me say this, it's completely harmless. He talks about how people who have the odds stacked against them succeed, and how if students put more effort, the government and parents will as well, etc., etc. The usual.
Barzan wrote: I'll stick with rape, thank you.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:It's Rape night on NSG.
*/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
l、゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ

This is Koji. Copy and paste Koji to your sig so he can acheive world domination.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:38 pm

Tunizcha wrote:Today they required us to view the speech in class. Let me say this, it's completely harmless. He talks about how people who have the odds stacked against them succeed, and how if students put more effort, the government and parents will as well, etc., etc. The usual.

BUT YOU'RE AN EBIL COMMUNIST NOW, RIGHT?!
If the knowledge isn't useful, you haven't found the lesson yet. ~Iniika
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:Clever, but your Jedi mind tricks don't work on me.

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

I accuse your precious law class of statutory rape.

Ashmoria
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 19, 2004
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Ashmoria » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:43 pm

Tunizcha wrote:Today they required us to view the speech in class. Let me say this, it's completely harmless. He talks about how people who have the odds stacked against them succeed, and how if students put more effort, the government and parents will as well, etc., etc. The usual.

how many of the other students seemed to be paying attention?
whatever

Tunizcha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tunizcha » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:54 pm

Ashmoria wrote:

About 4. They were the really nerdy kids. But they don't even know anything about politics, so bleh.

*/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
l、゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ

This is Koji. Copy and paste Koji to your sig so he can acheive world domination.

Tunizcha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tunizcha » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:55 pm

Buffett and Colbert wrote:

Oh yeah, totally. I feel completely brainwashed.

*/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
l、゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ

Surote
Ambassador

Founded: May 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Surote » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:56 pm

It got blocked in my school

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:56 pm

Tunizcha wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

About 4. They were the really nerdy kids. But they don't even know anything about politics, so bleh.

Were you one of them? :blink:

Or do you care about politics? :p
You-Gi-Owe wrote:If someone were to ask me about your online persona as a standard of your "date-ability", I'd rate you as "worth investigating further & passionate about beliefs". But, enough of the idle speculation on why you didn't score with the opposite gender.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

His Jedi mind tricks are insignificant compared to the power of Buffy's sex appeal.
Keronians wrote:
Buffett and Colbert wrote:My law class took my virginity. And it was 100% consensual.

Buffett and Colbert
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Buffett and Colbert » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:57 pm

Surote wrote:It got blocked in my school

For good reason. We don't want your God fearing conservative minds be tainted with Socialistic and anarchic liberalism.

Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:

Keronians wrote:

Gauthier
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Gauthier » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:57 pm

Tunizcha wrote:

Oh yeah, totally. I feel completely brainwashed.

If you find yourself with the sudden urge to pray towards Mecca, then we know the brainwashing has been severe.
Crimes committed by Muslims will be a pan-Islamic plot and proof of Islam's inherent evil. On the other hand crimes committed by non-Muslims will merely be the acts of loners who do not represent their belief system at all.
The probability of one's participation in homosexual acts is directly proportional to one's public disdain and disgust for homosexuals.
If a political figure makes an accusation of wrongdoing without evidence, odds are probable that the accuser or an associate thereof has in fact committed the very same act, possibly to a worse degree.
Where is your God-Emperor now?

Tunizcha
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tunizcha » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:05 pm

Tunizcha wrote:
Ashmoria wrote:

Were you one of them? :blink:

Or do you care about politics? :p

If you want to call me a nerd just because I have all AP classes, I'm the captain of the Debate team, I'm the captain of the Cross Country team, and I'm the editor of the Yearbook, then go ahead. :P

*/l、
゙(゚、 。 7
l、゙ ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General