NATION

PASSWORD

Greek PM leaves future of the country to the people?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cosmopoles
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Cosmopoles » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:21 pm

Chumblywumbly wrote:From the opposite aisle: hear, hear!

Financiers wobbling their jowls in anger at Greece's 'temerity' to look towards the democratic process is one of the ugliest sights of this year. When a call for democratic legitimacy is judged on the reaction within the stock market, you know you're through the looking glass.

Not as ugly a sight as witnessing a politician's attempt to fob off a tough decision in order to save his political career, potentially wrecking not just his own country's economy but that of a whole continent, being described as democratic legitimacy.

The Greek public want one decision but desire an outcome entirely different to what that decision will cause. I don't see how its 'democratic' to do what the people want but not give them what they want.
Last edited by Cosmopoles on Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Allrule
Senator

Founded: Apr 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Allrule » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:28 pm

Cosmopoles wrote:
Chumblywumbly wrote:From the opposite aisle: hear, hear!

Financiers wobbling their jowls in anger at Greece's 'temerity' to look towards the democratic process is one of the ugliest sights of this year. When a call for democratic legitimacy is judged on the reaction within the stock market, you know you're through the looking glass.

Not as ugly a sight as witnessing a politician's attempt to fob off a tough decision in order to save his political career, potentially wrecking not just his own country's economy but that of a whole continent

Actually, it could be much more than just Europe. The day after Papandreou announced the referendum, the Dow Jones fell by almost 300 points. Yes, by simply calling for a referendum, Papandreou caused a 300-point drop in the DJ average..

An economic collapse in Europe would almost certainly be disasterous for the US, and quite possibly the world.
Save the Internet! Protect Net Neutrality!

"Lily? After all this time?"
"Always."
-Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Keronians
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 15, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:31 pm

Allrule wrote:
Cosmopoles wrote:
Not as ugly a sight as witnessing a politician's attempt to fob off a tough decision in order to save his political career, potentially wrecking not just his own country's economy but that of a whole continent

Actually, it could be much more than just Europe. The day after Papandreou announced the referendum, the Dow Jones fell by almost 300 points. Yes, by simply calling for a referendum, Papandreou caused a 300-point drop in the DJ average..

An economic collapse in Europe would almost certainly be disasterous for the US, and quite possibly the world.

Not "possibly" the World. It would collapse the world economy. Europe collectively makes up 25% of world GDP.

Even assuming that the non-Eurozone countries in Europe, despite their exposure, would escape unscathed, that's still something like 20% of world GDP.
Proud Indian. Spanish citizen. European federalist.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade
· Exchange of goods and services
· Free formation of prices

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

This is a capitalist model.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:32 pm

Keronians wrote:
Allrule wrote:Actually, it could be much more than just Europe. The day after Papandreou announced the referendum, the Dow Jones fell by almost 300 points. Yes, by simply calling for a referendum, Papandreou caused a 300-point drop in the DJ average..

Not "possibly" the World. It would collapse the world economy. Europe collectively makes up 25% of world GDP.

Even assuming that the non-Eurozone countries in Europe, despite their exposure, would escape unscathed, that's still something like 20% of world GDP.

Does this mean we Americans can blame this crisis on Europe foolishly buying Greek debt ???

Greece when an entire country is subprime.
Last edited by Greed and Death on Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:35 pm

greed and death wrote:
Keronians wrote:

Does this mean we Americans can blame this crisis on Europe foolishly buying Greek debt ???

Greece when an entire country is subprime.

Yeah, unfortunately. Though America did spark the whole crisis off with its real estate bubble.

As for Greece, tell me about it. Greece is the one country where I can see NO undervalued bargains. All I see are subprime toxic assets left, right and centre. Even Portugal and Ireland have undervalued bargains.
Political compass
Awarded the Bronze Medal for General Debating at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards. Awarded Best New Poster at the 11th Annual Posters' Awards.
It is almost universally felt that when we call a country democratic we are praising it; consequently, the defenders of every kind of regime claim that it is a democracy, and fear that they might have to stop using the word if it were tied down to any one meaning.
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Allrule
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Allrule » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:36 pm

Keronians wrote:
Allrule wrote:Actually, it could be much more than just Europe. The day after Papandreou announced the referendum, the Dow Jones fell by almost 300 points. Yes, by simply calling for a referendum, Papandreou caused a 300-point drop in the DJ average..

Shit is about to go VERY VERY WRONG. The Greeks do NOT like the bailout plan, from what I can guess, and they'll probably give a big fat NO on the referendum. From there, the European economy will collapse, followed by the American economy, and then all hell will break loose.

Oh, and BY THE WAY, the referendum is planned for 2012? Coincidence? I think NOT!

"Always."
-Albus Dumbledore and Severus Snape, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:38 pm

Allrule wrote:
Keronians wrote:

Shit is about to go VERY VERY WRONG. The Greeks do NOT like the bailout plan, from what I can guess, and they'll probably give a big fat NO on the referendum. From there, the European economy will collapse, followed by the American economy, and then all hell will break loose.

Oh, and BY THE WAY, the referendum is planned for 2012? Coincidence? I think NOT!

sounds like time to invest in ammunition futures.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:42 pm

Allrule wrote:
Keronians wrote:

Ironically, 60% of Greeks plan to vote "no", but 70% of Greeks want to keep the Euro.

Do they realise that if they vote no, they're getting kicked out of the Euro?
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:44 pm

greed and death wrote:
Allrule wrote:Shit is about to go VERY VERY WRONG. The Greeks do NOT like the bailout plan, from what I can guess, and they'll probably give a big fat NO on the referendum. From there, the European economy will collapse, followed by the American economy, and then all hell will break loose.

>Most European countries have a ban on guns

>
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Allrule
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Allrule » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:45 pm

Keronians wrote:
greed and death wrote:

>

Eh its gonna be de facto anarchy anyway, laws do fuck all in anarchy.

"Always."

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:45 pm

Keronians wrote:
greed and death wrote:

>

Yeah buy them here smuggle them in, Europe will be in such a civil war they will trade their teenaged daughters for weapons to fight the revolution.
Barack Obama

Aeronos
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeronos » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:55 pm

greed and death wrote:Yeah buy them here smuggle them in, Europe will be in such a civil war they will trade their teenaged daughters for weapons to fight the revolution.

.... :( *is a teenage daughter*
My Political Compass
Economic: Left/Right (2.18)
Social: Libertarian/Authoritarian (-9.71)

Note: I am female, so please get the pronoun right!

Allrule
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Allrule » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:58 pm

Aeronos wrote:
greed and death wrote:Yeah buy them here smuggle them in, Europe will be in such a civil war they will trade their teenaged daughters for weapons to fight the revolution.

:twisted:

"Always."

Keronians
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Keronians » Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:58 pm

Aeronos wrote:

*buys Aeronos*
Political compass
George Orwell
· Private property
· Free foreign trade

· Market regulation
· Social security
· Universal healthcare
· Unemployment insurance

Allrule
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Allrule » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:40 pm

The cabinet has backed Papandreou's plan.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europ ... 00430.html
Last edited by Allrule on Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Always."

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:48 pm

greed and death wrote:
Keronians wrote:

>

Yeah buy them here smuggle them in, Europe will be in such a civil war they will trade their teenaged daughters for weapons to fight the revolution.

Now, G&D, what did I tell you about human trafficking? I'm pretty sure I told you that drugs are much better. :p
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

New Conglomerate
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Conglomerate » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:52 pm

Allrule wrote:The cabinet has backed Papandreou's plan.

http://english.aljazeera.net/news/europ ... 00430.html

For good reason, as a poster on a different comments blog said:

The Greek PM is clever. He is facing demonstrations and riots in the streets. The opposition party is being criticial without presenting an alternative. The referendum will force their hand. While polls show the Greeks don’t like the austerity or the bailout, they continue to give overwhelming support for membership in the EU and the euro.

So the PM is saying, “Man up and make a decision; stop whining.” Vote for the bailout and tough it out. Or vote against it, suffer a hard disorderly default, kiss your banks goodbye, and leave the EU. In poker terms, he is calling a bluff and saying show me your cards.

As for the rest of the EU, the threat of rejection may get the other governments to offer last-minute better terms to bribe the voters into voting yes.

If the PM loses, he resigns, Greece collapses, and he gets to both blame his opposition and dump the whole mess into the laps of the opposition. You think you can do better, show me the money!
Current WA Delegate of The NationStates Community.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:14 pm

I'm not entirely sure what Greece's options really are at this point. The choices offered to Greece are default and crash in flames, or gut government services and slump into a long economic slough. There's not much on the table that looks good. (It's been suggested that austerity measures are actually a bad idea.)

It does seem politically keen of the PM, and I really don't see anything wrong with putting it to a vote. Basic democratic principles at work. It's not practical to put everything to referendum, but this is something of a rare scenario.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:46 pm

Lordieth wrote:Greece will default. It's not a matter of 'if', but 'when'. We should be focussing on protecting the institutions that hold the majority of Greek debt and just let them default.

Why should we protect the banks? Not only did they know that Greece has a significant prospect of default (Greece's sovereign credit rating, so far as I am aware, has been crap for some time - the governmental equivalent of junk bonds), but Goldman Sachs was involved with (fraudulently) aiding Greece in balance-sheet cosmetics to hide their debt figures.

Repeat after me: Greece is NOT too big to fail.

Having said that, Krugman has a good (if pesimistic) analysis of why the Euro can, must and will fail. It boils down to "a lack of an effective lender of last resort, which renders individual governments hideously vulnerable to speculative attacks."
Last edited by New Chalcedon on Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

New Chalcedon
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 20, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby New Chalcedon » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:49 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:I'm not entirely sure what Greece's options really are at this point. The choices offered to Greece are default and crash in flames, or gut government services and slump into a long economic slough. There's not much on the table that looks good. (It's been suggested that austerity measures are actually a bad idea.)

It does seem politically keen of the PM, and I really don't see anything wrong with putting it to a vote. Basic democratic principles at work. It's not practical to put everything to referendum, but this is something of a rare scenario.

(1) Austerity in recessions is a bad idea. Unfortunately, with a debt-to-GDP of 120% and without the option of printing its own currency, Greece has little choice (the last is important because many nations will accept a tradeoff between higher inflation and lower unemployment in demand-weak situations).

(2) While it's fine & dandy to put things to a vote, the Greek people are being asked to choose between an austerity program that's (bluntly) brutal or national default. I'm pretty sure - under the circumstances - they'll choose the latter.
Fuck it all. Let the world burn - there's no way roaches could do a worse job of being decent than we have.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:49 pm

New Chalcedon wrote:
Tahar Joblis wrote:I'm not entirely sure what Greece's options really are at this point. The choices offered to Greece are default and crash in flames, or gut government services and slump into a long economic slough. There's not much on the table that looks good. (It's been suggested that austerity measures are actually a bad idea.)

(1) Austerity in recessions is a bad idea. Unfortunately, with a debt-to-GDP of 120% and without the option of printing its own currency, Greece has little choice (the last is important because many nations will accept a tradeoff between higher inflation and lower unemployment in demand-weak situations).

(2) While it's fine & dandy to put things to a vote, the Greek people are being asked to choose between an austerity program that's (bluntly) brutal or national default. I'm pretty sure - under the circumstances - they'll choose the latter.

And what's wrong with that? It's their choice to make, ultimately, and I'm not even sure it's not in their best interests in some choice of time frame.

Yes, referenda can get you into trouble sometimes, especially with poorly written and poorly understood legislation in low-turnout years or civil rights issues, but I don't feel like this falls under those categories.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:04 pm

Aeronos wrote:

Hey hey, so your dad is looking for some guns ;)
You came to the right place. please fill out his address and put on this school girl outfit and I will proceed to ship him all the fire arms he needs.
Barack Obama

Osterveim
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Osterveim » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:09 pm

Red Indus wrote:It seems that the Greeks have the very correct standpoint of sovereignty. But if they can vote on it, maybe they still have that sovereignty anyway.

^This.
Recently returned after some years away, cringing at my old forum posts

Allrule
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Allrule » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:10 pm

greed and death wrote:
Aeronos wrote:.... :( *is a teenage daughter*

Hey hey, so your dad is looking for some guns ;)
You came to the right place. please fill out his address and put on this school girl outfit and I will proceed to ship him all the fire arms he needs.

KERONIANS GOT HER FIRST, YOU THIEVING RATBAG! :evil: :evil: :evil:

"Always."

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:13 pm

Allrule wrote:
greed and death wrote:Hey hey, so your dad is looking for some guns ;)

KERONIANS GOT HER FIRST, YOU THIEVING RATBAG! :evil: :evil: :evil:

KERONIANS attempted to buy her.
That is clearly illegle.
I was merely giving her father guns and taking this girl under my "care".
Barack Obama

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General