NATION

PASSWORD

Greek PM leaves future of the country to the people?

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Wallaby
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wallaby » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Keronians wrote:We have scheduled general elections in 3 weeks, in which the reigns of power will change hands. No but's about it. Even the ruling party's candidate admits it.

all did that, taking unpopular measures and sacrificing reelection in order to start recovery earlier.
but not in Greece, the PM is too hungry for power to think of his country's future

Farnhamia
Game Moderator

Founded: Jun 20, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Farnhamia » Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:39 pm

Wallaby wrote:
Keronians wrote:We have scheduled general elections in 3 weeks, in which the reigns of power will change hands. No but's about it. Even the ruling party's candidate admits it.

all did that, taking unpopular measures and sacrificing reelection in order to start recovery earlier.
but not in Greece, the PM is too hungry for power to think of his country's future

Can you explain the rationale behind grabbing power in a country with a devastated economy and people rioting in the streets, who hate your guts? Wouldn't a would-be dictator want to make his country as fat and happy as possible? The more prosperous, the more money to be skimmed. The more peaceful, the fewer threats to your power.
Make Earth Great Again: Stop Continental Drift!
And Jesus was a sailor when he walked upon the water ...
"Make yourself at home, Frank. Hit somebody." RIP Don Rickles
My country, right or wrong; if right, to be kept right; and if wrong, to be set right. ~ Carl Schurz
<Sigh> NSG...where even the atheists are Augustinians. ~ The Archregimancy
Now the foot is on the other hand ~ Kannap
RIP Dyakovo ... Ashmoria (Freedom ... or cake)
This is the eighth line. If your signature is longer, it's too long.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:05 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Wallaby wrote:

Can you explain the rationale behind grabbing power in a country with a devastated economy and people rioting in the streets, who hate your guts? Wouldn't a would-be dictator want to make his country as fat and happy as possible? The more prosperous, the more money to be skimmed. The more peaceful, the fewer threats to your power.

Two sides to every protest he could just as easily side with the reactionaries to take an power.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:25 pm

I'm all for letting the Greeks decide the future for themselves. That's democracy, I just wish our own government had that kind of integrity.

Maurepas
Post Czar

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Maurepas » Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:52 am

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/greek-prime-minister-scraps-plan-put-european-debt-deal-referendum-officials-article-1.971637

ATHENS, Greece — Ignoring increasing calls to step down, Greece's prime minister says he is seeking emergency talks with the opposition and warns that an early election would force Greece into leaving the euro currency.

Prime Minister George Papandreou made the comments in an emergency Cabinet meeting Thursday. His office released his speech to the ministers.

Papandreou sparked a crisis when he announced Monday he would put a European debt deal to a referendum in Greece. Two officials close to him say the referendum idea has now been scrapped, after the opposition indicated they backed the new bailout deal to cut Greece's debts.

So, Greece is no longer going through with its plans for a referendum on the subject of the Bailout. I, personally, find this to be of the utmost cowardice from the Greek Prime Minister to back down at this point. I had actually come to like him because of the move, had even expressed in the post above this one that I wished our government had the integrity to allow a vote on its worthless bailouts.

Today a sovereign people were denied the right to choose the future of their country. In response markets around the world reacted with massive jumps in profitability. If there is a more perfect image out there that represents the fact that the financial industry is the enemy of Democracy, that the people on Wall St. and elsewhere have a vested interest in keeping power from the people, I don't know what it is.
Last edited by Maurepas on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:07 am

Well he did force the hand of the opposition so now they look like a bunch of twats (which they assuredly are), so that's something.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Caninope
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Nov 26, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Caninope » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:19 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Wallaby wrote:

Which is exactly why dictators usually have a higher standard of living for their people than their immediate successors. Or at least the good ones, anyways.
I'm the Pope
Secretly CIA interns stomping out negative views of the US
Türkçe öğreniyorum ama zorluk var.
Winner, Silver Medal for Debating
Co-Winner, Bronze Medal for Posting
Co-Winner, Zooke Goodwill Award

Agritum wrote:Arg, Caninope is Captain America under disguise. Everyone knows it.
Frisivisia wrote:
Me wrote:Just don't. It'll get you a whole lot further in life if you come to realize you're not the smartest guy in the room, even if you probably are.

Because Caninope may be in that room with you.
Nightkill the Emperor wrote:Thankfully, we have you and EM to guide us to wisdom and truth, holy one. :p
Norstal wrote:What I am saying of course is that we should clone Caninope.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:10 pm

Caninope wrote:
Farnhamia wrote:Can you explain the rationale behind grabbing power in a country with a devastated economy and people rioting in the streets, who hate your guts? Wouldn't a would-be dictator want to make his country as fat and happy as possible? The more prosperous, the more money to be skimmed. The more peaceful, the fewer threats to your power.

Which is exactly why dictators usually have a higher standard of living for their people than their immediate successors. Or at least the good ones, anyways.

So that's why Stalin, a highly effective dictator who held onto power for thirty years made sure that everybody got enough food? (Follow the link. That statement is sarcastic enough to cut diamond.)

Wallaby
Lobbyist

Founded: Oct 07, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wallaby » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:38 pm

Farnhamia wrote:
Wallaby wrote:

no, I can't give you any rational explanation, Papandreous is completely off the very concept of rationality.

a person that continuously keeps sinking his own country and, despite that, asks for a Motion of Confidence from the Parliament( in two occasions), while people from his own Party turn their backs on him is simply too weird to try to reason.

New Conglomerate
Minister

Founded: Oct 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Conglomerate » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:42 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:
Caninope wrote:Which is exactly why dictators usually have a higher standard of living for their people than their immediate successors. Or at least the good ones, anyways.

So that's why Stalin, a highly effective dictator who held onto power for thirty years made sure that everybody got enough food? (Follow the link. That statement is sarcastic enough to cut diamond.)

Stalin, like Hitler, is not a typical example.
Current WA Delegate of The NationStates Community.

Thurask
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 03, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Thurask » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:08 pm

National Information
Economic Left/Right: ln 0
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: lim (x->0) 1/x
Pro: Some stuff
Anti: Some other stuff

Neu Leonstein
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Neu Leonstein » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:08 pm

Tahar Joblis wrote:And where is Argentina now? They're doing fine these days. What's different about Greece? In the long term, isn't it better to take a sharp pain now (hitting the giant "Rocks fall, everybody dies" button) than be permanently indebted and required to engage in severe economically depressive austerity measures for the next decade or two?

Argentina's debt problem was less severe than Greece's. And it is basically helped by high commodity prices - Greece wouldn't be.

And to boot, Argentina has raided its pension funds to pay for election promises and has inflation through the roof and throws economists in jail for inflation estimates that don't match the official ones that everyone knows are fudged. I actually think Greece would be prone to a lot of the same kind of craziness.
“Every age and generation must be as free to act for itself in all cases as the age and generations which preceded it. The vanity and presumption of governing beyond the grave is the most ridiculous and insolent of all tyrannies. Man has no property in man; neither has any generation a property in the generations which are to follow.”
~ Thomas Paine

Economic Left/Right: 2.25 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33
Time zone: GMT+10 (Melbourne), working full time.

Tahar Joblis
Powerbroker

Founded: Antiquity
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Tahar Joblis » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:12 pm

New Conglomerate wrote:
Tahar Joblis wrote:So that's why Stalin, a highly effective dictator who held onto power for thirty years made sure that everybody got enough food? (Follow the link. That statement is sarcastic enough to cut diamond.)

Stalin, like Hitler, is not a typical example.

Stalin. Hitler. Mao. Pol Pot.

...heck, even Mussolini's trains didn't actually run on time. And while the United States recovered from the Great Depression in a timely fashion, surpassing its old GDP in chained dollars before entry into WWII, the Italian economy underperformed under Mussolini, and after the crash hit Italy, didn't recover its old GDP level until after WWII was over. (Wow!)

Dictators are generally less, not more, accountable to the population than elected leaders are. Sure, I'll buy that there are some relatively benevolent dictators, and that some dictators are willing to invest in bread and circuses - but even then, it's usually only bread and circuses for a certain segment of the population, the one he's worrying about mobilizing against him. (In the original "bread and circuses" case, Rome's literal bread and circuses, that was the citizens living in Rome itself for the most part, rather than subjects living in outlying territories.)

Rio Cana
Postmaster-General

Founded: Dec 21, 2005
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Rio Cana » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:21 pm

Neu Leonstein wrote:
Tahar Joblis wrote:And where is Argentina now? They're doing fine these days. What's different about Greece? In the long term, isn't it better to take a sharp pain now (hitting the giant "Rocks fall, everybody dies" button) than be permanently indebted and required to engage in severe economically depressive austerity measures for the next decade or two?

Argentina's debt problem was less severe than Greece's. And it is basically helped by high commodity prices - Greece wouldn't be.

And to boot, Argentina has raided its pension funds to pay for election promises and has inflation through the roof and throws economists in jail for inflation estimates that don't match the official ones that everyone knows are fudged. I actually think Greece would be prone to a lot of the same kind of craziness.

They say there is oil and plenty of Gas in the Sea South of the Greek island of Crete. So following Argentinas example might prove beneficial.
National Information
Empire of Rio Cana has been refounded.
We went from Empire to Peoples Republic to two divided Republics one called Marina to back to an Empire. And now a Republic under a military General. Our Popular Music
Our National Love SongOur Military Forces
Formerly appointed twice Minister of Defense and once Minister of Foreign Affairs for South America Region.

Neu Leonstein
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 23, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Neu Leonstein » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:04 am

Rio Cana wrote:They say there is oil and plenty of Gas in the Sea South of the Greek island of Crete. So following Argentinas example might prove beneficial.

Source?
“Every age and generation must be as free to act for itself in all cases as the age and generations which preceded it. The vanity and presumption of governing beyond the grave is the most ridiculous and insolent of all tyrannies. Man has no property in man; neither has any generation a property in the generations which are to follow.”
~ Thomas Paine

Economic Left/Right: 2.25 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33
Time zone: GMT+10 (Melbourne), working full time.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:29 am

Neu Leonstein wrote:
Rio Cana wrote:They say there is oil and plenty of Gas in the Sea South of the Greek island of Crete. So following Argentinas example might prove beneficial.

Source?

I think it's a joke.

"Argentinas example" means invading the Falkland Islands. As far as I can tell the oil and gas "South of Crete" is not in Greek waters ... joke might have worked better with "the Greek island of Cyprus" instead.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Rationallia
Attaché

Founded: Aug 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Rationallia » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:40 am

Burn them all!

Megapolitania
Envoy

Founded: Oct 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Megapolitania » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:49 am

Neu Leonstein wrote:

Argentina also has the benefit of being able to print its own currency. Plus Greece actually is a developed country, or pretends to be...I wouldn't be shocked by a military coup. Argentines rioted, but they've been used to stagnancy and economic mismanagement since the Great Depression. A sudden downfall when you're that high up is a big shock to the social system.

AiliailiA
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jul 20, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby AiliailiA » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:08 am

Good.

article wrote:Although the Greek public has strongly resisted the austerity measures, a recent opinion poll in a newspaper showed 70% wanted to remain within the eurozone.

That's a bucket of shit for any leader to be in. A coalition government (unavoidable after the election which a no-confidence vote would have precipitated) would not handle it any better.

A referendum is the best way. It probably won't go the way I'd want (I'm pro-EU) but when a country is so divided they need to settle this by majority vote on just that one issue.
My name is voiced AIL-EE-AIL-EE-AH. My time zone: UTC.

Cannot think of a name wrote:"Where's my immortality?" will be the new "Where's my jetpack?"
Maineiacs wrote:"We're going to build a canal, and we're going to make Columbia pay for it!" -- Teddy Roosevelt
Ifreann wrote:That's not a Freudian slip. A Freudian slip is when you say one thing and mean your mother.
Ethel mermania wrote:
Ifreann wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
: eugenics :
What are the colons meant to convey here?
In my experience Colons usually convey shit

NSG junkie. Getting good shit for free, why would I give it up?

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General