NATION

PASSWORD

American moving to Australia

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)
Matt Selou
Attaché

Founded: Nov 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

American moving to Australia

Postby Matt Selou » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:11 pm

I'm politically and economically left as you can see, but I was wondering if there are Americans who have moved to Australia (or vice- versa) and to tell me what you see politically in respect to government, and with political/social respect to the public..

Any ex-pats? I'm from Flint, MI going to Melbourne, Australia...

I'll think of more questions later.. Thanks Nations.

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 17, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:28 pm

Matt Selou wrote:I'm politically and economically left as you can see

Err, do I? Where exactly do I see that? Do you mean "I'm a leftist, as you can see to the left of these words, where I just said 'I'm a leftist.'"?

Anyway, as a Melburnian, I can assure you that Americans are crazy oil-drinking gunfreaks. You will not fit in at all. If you don't like public transport (or should I say TRAMSport hah hah that's a joke), you will be lynched before the week is out.
"Twats love flags." - Yootopia

Matt Selou
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Matt Selou » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:35 pm

Well, by American standards, yeah I'm a leftist, but you've already assumed too much...

I'm ANTI-gun, pro-abortion, single-payer health, pro-transportation (besides the environment, I hate driving!), anti-religion, pro 60's and 70's music, pro-Kubrick, pro Bill Hicks, pro-union (remember I'm from Flint, Michael Moore's hometown), etc etc.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 22, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:36 pm

Matt Selou wrote:Well, by American standards, yeah I'm a leftist, but you've already assumed too much...

I'm ANTI-gun, pro-abortion, single-payer health, pro-transportation (besides the environment, I hate driving!), anti-religion, pro 60's and 70's music, pro-Kubrick, pro Bill Hicks, pro-union (remember I'm from Flint, Michael Moore's hometown), etc etc.

Please move away from the US :)
Government: Romanist Ceasarist Dictatorship
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality
Ethnic Groups: American, Latino, Filipino

Matt Selou
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Matt Selou » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:38 pm

I think marriage as an institution is pretty banal, but if straights can marry, why not the gays?

Why should I move from the US? I'm not arguing, I agree, but why do you say so?

Dewhurst-Narculis
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Dewhurst-Narculis » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:39 pm

Matt Selou wrote:I'm politically and economically left as you can see, but I was wondering if there are Americans who have moved to Australia (or vice- versa) and to tell me what you see politically in respect to government, and with political/social respect to the public..

Melbourne hey? Well... The Labor government is hated at the moment by a quite a few, we Victorians have a liberal party in charge and we hate Tasmania, in turn hated by every other state.
PT/MT Nation
Death is the only Absolute
The Grand Duchy of Dewhurst-Narculis
|Monarchist Nation| DEFCON [3] [2][1]
Coveton Crisis 1828-Mutual victory
Quendisphere War 2010-Resolved

1st Great Southern War 1898
2nd Great Southern War 1925
3rd Great Southern War 1942-1944
4th Great Southern War 1983
Dewhurst-Narculian- Theaman War 2010
Okhotsk Conflict 2012-2013
2nd Cedorian-Gilnean War-2014 ^All Won

North Vasangal Uprising-2014-(Ongoing)
Dervistonian War-2014-(Ongoing)
One of the the original founders of: SEC, Axis, SACTO and the Great Southern Ocean Region| Nine Years and no Condemnation/Commendation, what is this?

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:40 pm

Matt Selou wrote:I think marriage as an institution is pretty banal, but if straights can marry, why not the gays?

Why should I move from the US? I'm not arguing, I agree, but why do you say so?

I support gay marriage and im far right-wing

Personally, judging from the beliefs you posted I don't think you fit the traditional economic sense of America nor its culture of guns. It sounds like your having a rough time here, so I suggest moving to a leftist nation that suits your beliefs that way you can thrive.
Political Themes: Nationalism, Romanticism, Ceasarism, Militarism, Social Liberalism, Cult of Personality

Wikipedia and Universe
Senator

Founded: Jul 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Wikipedia and Universe » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:42 pm

North Calaveras wrote:
Matt Selou wrote:Well, by American standards, yeah I'm a leftist, but you've already assumed too much...

Please move away from the US. :)
I second this. *nods* :p
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, if they get pissed, they'll be a mile away- and barefoot.
Proud Member and Co-Founder of the MDISC Alliance
An ODECON Naval Analyst wrote:Superior tactics and training can in fact triumph over force of numbers and missile spam.
Bottle wrote:This is not rocket surgery, folks.
Senestrum wrote:This is relativity, the theory that takes everything we know about the world, bends it over, and fucks it to death with a spiked dildo.

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:42 pm

Ridiculous. We know your kind, and we'll keep an eye on you.

Though honestly you sound left even by our standards, so WELCOME TO MELBOURNE. You'll get here just in time for summer, and have the pleasure of experiencing 40+ degree days for weeks at a time (we use metric here you dirty barbarian). Our government is awful, in the tradition of every government ever in history, and every party is incompetent. Apparently Americans are absurdly friendly compared to most people, so there's that too.

On the upside, our trams are second to none. :)

North Calaveras wrote:Please move away from the US :)

Yeah! Get out of here, everyone who has a different opinion! Yee-haw, I'm shooting guns into the air to indicate belligerence!

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:44 pm

Tubbsalot wrote:Ridiculous. We know your kind, and we'll keep an eye on you.

Though honestly you sound left even by our standards, so WELCOME TO MELBOURNE. You'll get here just in time for summer, and have the pleasure of experiencing 40+ degree days for weeks at a time (we use metric here you dirty barbarian). Our government is awful, in the tradition of every government ever in history, and every party is incompetent. Apparently Americans are absurdly friendly compared to most people, so there's that too.

On the upside, our trams are second to none. :)

North Calaveras wrote:Please move away from the US :)

Yeah! Get out of here, everyone who has a different opinion! Yee-haw, I'm shooting guns into the air to indicate belligerence!

? not even close tubbs...not even close.

Matt Selou
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Matt Selou » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:46 pm

The economy can't be worse in Melbourne, or all of Australia for that matter... I wonder how difficult it is to get a work visa.

And the weather plays a big role, too!

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:47 pm

North Calaveras wrote:? not even close tubbs...not even close.

:roll: You don't need to exactly conform to local political views to live in a country. You have Stalinists, Nazis and anarchists of every stripe living in the country, and they're all entitled to.

Matt Selou wrote:The economy can't be worse in Melbourne, or all of Australia for that matter... I wonder how difficult it is to get a work visa.

And the weather plays a big role, too!

No, our economy is fucking fantastic, so if that's what you were looking for then you made a good choice. I don't believe it's hard to start working either.
Last edited by Tubbsalot on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:48 pm

Tubbsalot wrote:
North Calaveras wrote:? not even close tubbs...not even close.

:roll: You don't need to exactly conform to local political views to live in a country. You have Stalinists, Nazis and anarchists of every stripe living in the country, and they're all entitled to.

No, but it is preferred. Besides, it was ridiculous how you thought i was being belligerent.

Greed and Death
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Greed and Death » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:49 pm

Matt Selou wrote:I'm politically and economically left as you can see, but I was wondering if there are Americans who have moved to Australia (or vice- versa) and to tell me what you see politically in respect to government, and with political/social respect to the public..

Australia is more right winged then the GOP. Expect mandatory gun laws, bans of interracial marraige, and mandatory church attendance.
"Trying to solve the healthcare problem by mandating people buy insurance is like trying to solve the homeless problem by mandating people buy a house."(paraphrase from debate with Hilary Clinton)
Barack Obama

Matt Selou
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Matt Selou » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:49 pm

Yeah, but I fit in with about 2% of the population... There are other factors, such as not getting shot just because I went to pick up the mail. I now live in the most dangerous city in America.

Also, I'm 29, no kids, so why not? I've been to Europe 4x, loved almost every minute, why not Australia?

It's going to be a long flight! I wonder if I need any special vaccines..

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:49 pm

Melbourne, eh? Know which part of the city you're moving to?
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:50 pm

Matt Selou wrote:Yeah, but I fit in with about 2% of the population... There are other factors, such as not getting shot just because I went to pick up the mail. I now live in the most dangerous city in America.

Also, I'm 29, no kids, so why not? I've been to Europe 4x, loved almost every minute, why not Australia?

visiting a country and actually trying to live their are two different things, make sure you know what your doing.

Matt Selou
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Matt Selou » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:51 pm

I've heard my cousins mention two sections (they live apart), Victoria (province?) and Queensland.. I've been wanting to get more info, but with the huge time zone gap, its hard to get them at a good time.

Where is the "counterculture" section of Melbourne?

Matt Selou
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Matt Selou » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:52 pm

North Calaveras wrote:
Matt Selou wrote:Yeah, but I fit in with about 2% of the population... There are other factors, such as not getting shot just because I went to pick up the mail. I now live in the most dangerous city in America.

visiting a country and actually trying to live their are two different things, make sure you know what your doing.

Very true, and I've realized this for a long time, even during past travels. I just don't see how it can be any worse. If things don't work out after a few months, I can come back just in time for Michigan's summer:)
Last edited by Matt Selou on Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:54 pm

Matt Selou wrote:
North Calaveras wrote:

Very true, and I've realized this for a long time, even during past travels. I just don't see how it can be any worse. If things don't work out, I can come back just in time for Michigan's winter :)

Why don't you move to a country that's more like your beliefs? Why australia?

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:56 pm

I'm a New Zealander, lived in Australia for a while and in my opinion you'll be fine.

Australians are the Americans of the south... they won't admit it but they are REALLY similar to the US.

Matt Selou
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Matt Selou » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:57 pm

America won't grant work visas to Europe UNLESS it falls under some business treaty.. Basically, if you have money, we'll make exceptions to the rule. The weather is also important, and I have an aunt and some cousins in Australia. I loved the Netherlands, Germany, Hungary, Switzerland, England, Greece, but now to try somewhere I haven't been, oh yeah, and the weather, lol.

Meowfoundland
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meowfoundland » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:57 pm

Matt Selou wrote:I've heard my cousins mention two sections (they live apart), Victoria (province?) and Queensland.. I've been wanting to get more info, but with the huge time zone gap, its hard to get them at a good time.

There are 6 states of Australia (New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia) and 2 territories (Northern Territory and Australian Capital Territory). Melbourne is the capital city of Victoria.

As for counterculture, I have no idea. What specifically do you mean?
This was formerly a signature. One day, it may return to its splendid past. In the meantime, enjoy some pictures of my cats.

Tubbsalot
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Tubbsalot » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:58 pm

Matt Selou wrote:I've heard my cousins mention two sections (they live apart), Victoria (province?) and Queensland.. I've been wanting to get more info, but with the huge time zone gap, its hard to get them at a good time.

Yes, Victoria is excellent by virtue of having Melbourne. Queensland is awful and terrible, filled with crocodiles and deadly flooding. But I don't think we have a counterculture section? Does that happen in America? There's, like, a Goth section of each city? The Goth Quarter? Little Gothica? Gotham?

North Calaveras wrote:Why don't you move to a country that's more like your beliefs? Why australia?

Because local beliefs aren't everything? :unsure: He might also be religious, and nobody here cares about religion. That's not necessarily a make-or-break thing.

North Calaveras
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby North Calaveras » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:59 pm

Tubbsalot wrote:

Yes, Victoria is excellent by virtue of having Melbourne. Queensland is awful and terrible, filled with crocodiles and deadly flooding. But I don't think we have a counterculture section? Does that happen in America? There's, like, a Goth section of each city? The Goth Quarter? Little Gothica? Gotham?

North Calaveras wrote:Why don't you move to a country that's more like your beliefs? Why australia?

Because local beliefs aren't everything? :unsure: He might also be religious, and nobody here cares about religion. That's not necessarily a make-or-break thing.

Tubbs...Hes basing his decision on his beliefs...I'm simply asking him why.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General