NATION

PASSWORD

Christianity, not Paulinism

For discussion and debate about anything. (Not a roleplay related forum; out-of-character commentary only.)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Xeng He
Minister

Founded: Nov 14, 2011
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Xeng He » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Threlizdun wrote:]The first recorded instance I have heard of was around 100 B.C.E., with them forgetting about it until I believe around fifty years later. Then of course the date accepted by modern civilizations for his birth stated it occured, and it was never mentioned again until Paul's writings, which actually never even mentioned his life, but only the crucifiction.

So all of it happened, but people only knew about it later. Especially seeing as people were quite willing to change the time of Jesus' birth.
Blazedtown wrote:[an ism is] A term used by people who won't admit their true beliefs, or don't have any.
[spoiler=Quotes]
Galloism: ...social media is basically cancer. I’d like to reiterate that social media is bringing the downfall of society in a lot of ways.
I'm Not Telling You It's Going to Be Easy, I'm Telling You It's Going to be Worth It.
Oh my god this comic

Flameswroth
Senator

Founded: Sep 05, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Flameswroth » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:56 pm

Bluth Corporation wrote:The reason I don't agree with this is because, why are the institutional and dogmatic trappings with which you're familiar more essential to Christianity than actual Christ-seeking?

Because your Christ is abstract. Moreover, there is nothing special about this perfect person to suggest that a Christ should be sought any more than people should just...strive not to be dicks to each other and build a better world. You don't need a "Christ" for that, just like you don't need a cat to seem like a humanitarian. So getting that cat, then removing all the elements of a cat that annoy you just so you can say you have it at that point just doesn't seem necessary. In fact, it seems kind of deceptive. Being able to call yourself a Christian* is probably a great cloaking device around religious relatives, as the asterisk is silent when spoken.

I dunno, I'm no scholar. I have no intellectual or moral high ground on these kinds of things. I just know that from the outside, this just looks like humanism with a 'Christ' sticker on it for aesthetics.
Czardas wrote:Why should we bail out climate change with billions of dollars, when lesbians are starving in the streets because they can't afford an abortion?

Reagan Clone wrote:What you are proposing is glorifying God by loving, respecting, or at least tolerating, his other creations.

That is the gayest fucking shit I've ever heard, and I had Barry Manilow perform at the White House in '82.

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:59 pm

I just wish people would stop following Zombie'ism.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Previous

Return to General